The Biden Presidency

Raoul

Admin
Staff
These are really good, but I am really interested to see what he is gonna do for the climate (in addition to the symbolism of Paris agreement). Put a trillion or two in green energy and we'll be friends forever.
It will probably be something similar to what he campaigned on.

Revan

Assumptionman
It will probably be something similar to what he campaigned on.
I actually haven't read all of it ni details, but I know that it promised 1.7 trillion for the next 10 years. The problem is that who knows if there is gonna be only Dem presidents at that time (and almost surely at least one of the legislative chambers will flip). I also didn't like that he mentions nuclear energy only twice in the plan (though it is better than Bernie's which explicitly says no nuclear energy and calls it a false solution). It also was more focused than Bernie's where half of the plan was about other things (not climate change).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Finally back to normality with someone only slightly incompetent in charge.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Not sure which thread this fits best in but this is a remarkable piece of journalism by the Telegraph. WTF?!?
They're right. If they hadn't starved his great great great grandfather out of the country, Joe would never be president. I'm sure he appreciates the role Britain has played in his success.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not to get all morbid, but should Pelosi be there? With no cabinet confirmed the Presidential succession is pretty slim. Right?

alsabi

Not to get all morbid, but should Pelosi be there? With no cabinet confirmed the Presidential succession is pretty slim. Right?
There is a designated survivor securely off-site I believe? As with every State of the Union etc.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There is a designated survivor securely off-site I believe? As with every State of the Union etc.
But who?

The only non cabinet members of succession are Speaker and President Pro Tem. That's Pelosi and Grassley (for now)

DavidDeSchmikes

When are they getting to the fireworks factory swearing in ceremony?!?!?

CNN are just repeating themselves

Smores

I'm watching it so it clearly has an audience (mainly those procrastinating from work) but I always find the US Inauguration so hilariously over done. Is there another country that goes to this length for a ceremonial change in leadership?

The British tradition is ridiculous in it's own way of course.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Clintons coming in, could've easily been first day of HC's second term today so penny for her thoughts.

Does Jimmy Carter still attend this event (BBC programme only starterd at half 3 so missed the early arrivals.).

Edit; Katty Kay just said he isn't attending, understandable.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Clintons coming in, could've easily been first day of HC's second term today so penny for her thoughts.

Does Jimmy Carter still attend this event (BBC programme only starterd at half 3 so missed the early arrivals.).
He announced that due to COVID he will not be attending.

Dudu

Hero officer Eugene Goodman was accompanying VP Harris

Lovely touch.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Is Clarence Thomas not with the rest of the justices? Is he 1) Boycotting this or 2) Told to stay the feck away?

Edit: Only 6 justices there, so 3 missing.

RoyH1

I'm watching it so it clearly has an audience (mainly those procrastinating from work) but I always find the US Inauguration so hilariously over done. Is there another country that goes to this length for a ceremonial change in leadership?

Actually, quite a number of countries have pretty over the top inaugurations, specially countries that have heads of government that are also heads of state. But the US is the only one that is watched outside of their own borders.

The UK will at some point in the not so distant future have a coronation. Those are pretty over the top too.

Abizzz

Oh Mike Pence is there. Guess the threat of being hanged changed his loyalties.

Last edited:

MTF

Brazil has a whole event, but it suffers from 2 issues imo that keep it from having more fanfare (not that fanfare is good): it is held on Jan 1st, so when everyone is hungover from New Year's Eve. And the whole thing happens in Brasilia which is the planned city capital of the country, with mega wide boulevards and barely a residential area in close distance of the capitol. I think if the capital was still in Rio and the proceedings held any other day rather than Jan 1st, you'd generally have a more animated event and with a much larger public