Books The BOOK thread

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I'm no literary expert but I thought Dickens was a good writer?
Dickens is an okay writer to whom the test of time has not been kind. He was really popular when alive and Great Expectations was written when he was at his peak. It was his 13th novel. I have to read it for a class.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Anyone read Zeroville by Steve Erickson? People are losing their minds because James Franco has adapted it and unsurprisingly butchered it. The blurb seems right up my aisle.

I finished Gore Vidal's Palimpsest. Delightful read. He's a bit of a prick and a complete name dropper but it's hilarious. His chapter about his high school fling was one of the better descriptions of love I've read. I bought Lincoln recently so will be interested to see what his fiction is like.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Started White Noise by Delillo. Only 40 pages in and I can see how its a masterpiece already. I think I'm going to sip on this one like MaCallan 25.

@Archie Leach I meant to buy that book about a year ago but I ordered the wrong one, I got Shadowbahm and I still haven't read that.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Read a book of early short stories by Truman Capote following on from In Cold Blood. You can see his writing style develop in these stories.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
So the Guardian released this list of its "best" books of the 21st century. First putting fiction and non-fiction on the same list is lame.
It's massively biased towards British authors and Guardian favorites and IMO aesthetically offensive. Their top 10 is just silly and putting Harry Potter on the list instead of the books below is just :lol:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/21/best-books-of-the-21st-century

Missing from the list are some of the best books I've ever read let alone in the 21st century. These are all arguably better than their entire top 10 and its criminal they were not included:
2666 by Roberto Bolaño
The Overstory by Richard Powers
Against the Day & Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon
The Zero by Jess Walter
The Last Samurai by Helen Dewitt
Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay by Michael Chabon
Train Dreams by Denis Johnson
Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Sieg Larrson
I've read 6 on that list I think and fecking Gilead is one of them and it was ok but is no way the 2nd best book I've read.....

celia

I read 9 of them and DNFed some of them like Nickel and Dimed or Gone Girl.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Started White Noise by Delillo. Only 40 pages in and I can see how its a masterpiece already. I think I'm going to sip on this one like MaCallan 25.

@Archie Leach I meant to buy that book about a year ago but I ordered the wrong one, I got Shadowbahm and I still haven't read that.
It's magnificent yeah, fecking hilarious but so well-written too.

hungrywing

Recently got around to reading Thomas Harris' Cari Mora; it was okay but ultimately disappointing. Really wanted just one more book as good as the others.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
This stuff always makes me sad

"Roughly a quarter of U.S. adults (27%) say they haven’t read a book in whole or in part in the past year, whether in print, electronic or audio form, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted Jan. 8 to Feb. 7. Who are these non-book readers?
Adults whose annual household income is $30,000 or less are more likely than those living in households earning $75,000 or more a year to be non-book readers (36% vs. 14%). Hispanic (40%) and black (33%) adults are more likely than whites (22%) to report not having read a book in the past 12 months. "

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/09/26/who-doesnt-read-books-in-america/

hungrywing

This stuff always makes me sad

"Roughly a quarter of U.S. adults (27%) say they haven’t read a book in whole or in part in the past year, whether in print, electronic or audio form, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted Jan. 8 to Feb. 7. Who are these non-book readers?
Adults whose annual household income is $30,000 or less are more likely than those living in households earning $75,000 or more a year to be non-book readers (36% vs. 14%). Hispanic (40%) and black (33%) adults are more likely than whites (22%) to report not having read a book in the past 12 months. "

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/09/26/who-doesnt-read-books-in-america/
Been going on (and getting worse) for a long time.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Wouldn't be surprised if it was higher than that to be honest, it's the sort of thing you may lie about in one direction (saying you have when you haven't), but not in the other (saying you haven't when you have).

hungrywing

Even for those who have read something, the books they have read are going to be suspect.

The general standards of the publishing industry have nose-dived in a nihilistic race towards lowest common denominatorism.

celia

After finishing Verdigris deep by Frances Hardinge (it reminded me a lot of Diana Wynne Jones' books) and Anne of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery (there are chapters I really like), I am currently reading the Wind-up Girl by Paolo Bagalupi (quite interesting)

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I've read the cozy Ring for Murder and rated it 1 star. Now I'm reading M is for Malice.

BD

Just finished Sweet Thursday by Steinbeck. I preferred Cannery Row, but this was still a very enjoyable book. That's the 5th Steinbeck I've read this year, so I'll move on to something else for the coming books, but those 5 are surely among the best I've read this year.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Finished End Zone (again) last night. DeLillo's deadpan style in those early novels is hilarious. He'll put whole passages of text that make almost no sense and then one sentence will stand out and you're like wow, that's something. Seems to be where he first picked up the theme of violence. The main character's addiction to reading about nuclear warfare and other various atrocities suggests a desire to take control of uncontrollable, and frankly horrific, events. He followed through with that idea in a few of his later novels, including Mao II and White Noise.

Now to finish The Magic Mountain (finally).

Nickosaur

Just finished Sweet Thursday by Steinbeck. I preferred Cannery Row, but this was still a very enjoyable book. That's the 5th Steinbeck I've read this year, so I'll move on to something else for the coming books, but those 5 are surely among the best I've read this year.
Got given The Pearl and Grapes of Wrath for my birthday last week. Everyone raves about East of Eden but I far prefer his shorter works like Cannery Row and Tortilla Flat.

BD

Got given The Pearl and Grapes of Wrath for my birthday last week. Everyone raves about East of Eden but I far prefer his shorter works like Cannery Row and Tortilla Flat.
Haven't read Tortilla Flat yet, but I must say I really liked East of Eden. Travels With Charley is pretty good too, if you haven't read it - it's different from his others.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I finished Memory Man by David Baldacci. Moving onto Slaugherhouse V

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I enjoyed the book and his writing style is very easy. He reminded me a lot of Lee Child and the character he created in this book was a lot like Jack Reacher but with a flawless memory which is explained in the book. I can see why his books are being adapted for TV and I will definitely read another of his.

RedFish

Ahhh, Cannery Row. I can just smell the st
Haven't read Tortilla Flat yet, but I must say I really liked East of Eden. Travels With Charley is pretty good too, if you haven't read it - it's different from his others.
Ah Cannery Row, I can smell the stench so vividly. One of my favourites.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Baldacci's best work is the Camel club series. 5 books in total. Rated most of them a perfect 5.

celia

Finished Wind-up Girl by Paolo Bagalupi (not an exciting one especially with characters more concerned by their self-interests but interesting). I have started a YA book The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow because it has quite good reviews so far on Goodreads and magical doors always sound nice.

littlepeasoup

Finished reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. I think it's a decent read from a first-time novelist that has a clever spin on the Agatha Christie murder mystery formula, and definitely an easy book to read over a long weekend if you're so inclined.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop. by Robert Coover (1968)

This book is pretty amazing and really should be given more credit. It's basically a novel about a man obsessed with his creation of a fantasy sports management game in Dungeons and Dragons format years before either of those things existed. Quite a fun read that explores the mindset of what it means to be a gamer and how that obsession with power, creativity and control can dominate your real life. Its an exploration into a common human condition in 2019-2020 that was written in 1968.

This should be required reading for every teenager who plays video games or fantasy sports.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Some fun speculation on the 2019 Nobel Prize in Lit. Interesting because they are giving 2 prizes this year after last years scandal and cancellation. Related to below personally I hate they gave it to Bob Dylan. I believe Pynchon and Delillo were more worthy Americans for a literature award of that generation.

https://newrepublic.com/article/155316/will-win-2019-or-2018-nobel-prize-literature

on who won't win
"One day, Murakami is going to win and people will tweet pictures of me saying that Murakami is not going to win the Nobel Prize in Literature. I will deserve it when that happens. But I will keep saying it, just like Haruki Murakami will keep making entries in his running diary while listening to an Art Blakely record on a $60,000 stereo. Marias fits the bill for the Swedish Academy (full of people who think they’re too good for John Le Carre and drink scotch that was made during the Carter administration), but I just don’t think this is his year. My hunch is that Krasznahorkai and Nadas would split both the Hungarian vote and the lit bro vote. Kundera, meanwhile, made his career on novels that anatomized kitsch and subsequently became kitsch, thanks to a generation of earnest high schoolers."

"Bob Dylan, it seems, will be the only American writer of his generation to win a Nobel Prize in Literature, which is quite a distinction given that he also wrote the worst American book of the last hundred years. DeLillo would make a fine Nobel Laureate, given the strength of his work and its resonance with our fecked-up times. Pynchon should be given a Nobel Prize for the same reasons, but also to see if he would even show up to claim it. "

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Some fun speculation on the 2019 Nobel Prize in Lit. Interesting because they are giving 2 prizes this year after last years scandal and cancellation. Related to below personally I hate they gave it to Bob Dylan. I believe Pynchon and Delillo were more worthy Americans for a literature award of that generation.

https://newrepublic.com/article/155316/will-win-2019-or-2018-nobel-prize-literature

on who won't win
"One day, Murakami is going to win and people will tweet pictures of me saying that Murakami is not going to win the Nobel Prize in Literature. I will deserve it when that happens. But I will keep saying it, just like Haruki Murakami will keep making entries in his running diary while listening to an Art Blakely record on a $60,000 stereo. Marias fits the bill for the Swedish Academy (full of people who think they’re too good for John Le Carre and drink scotch that was made during the Carter administration), but I just don’t think this is his year. My hunch is that Krasznahorkai and Nadas would split both the Hungarian vote and the lit bro vote. Kundera, meanwhile, made his career on novels that anatomized kitsch and subsequently became kitsch, thanks to a generation of earnest high schoolers."

"Bob Dylan, it seems, will be the only American writer of his generation to win a Nobel Prize in Literature, which is quite a distinction given that he also wrote the worst American book of the last hundred years. DeLillo would make a fine Nobel Laureate, given the strength of his work and its resonance with our fecked-up times. Pynchon should be given a Nobel Prize for the same reasons, but also to see if he would even show up to claim it. "
Great post and very useful links.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I still can't believe Dylan got a Nobel prize. It's as if the panel, looked at Paul McCartney, with his knighthood and his oscar, and said : we must troll Paul.