Books The BOOK thread

Suv666

Any Science Fiction recommendations? Looking for novels which are more philosophical in nature and less techy (not sure if thats a word)

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Currently reading Jurassic Park which, although not the sort of book I typically go for, is proving way more interesting than I anticipated.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Any Science Fiction recommendations? Looking for novels which are more philosophical in nature and less techy (not sure if thats a word)
I'm not massively well-read in the genre but, as above, I'm reading Dune at the minute and it's one of the best sci-fi stories I've come across. Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury, is also a personal favourite.

I also really enjoyed most of Ian M Banks' work, but especially The Player of Games, which was excellent.

If the film is anything to go by, Solaris (Stanislaw Lem) would be exactly what you're looking for.

celia

The left hand of darkness by Ursula Le Guin. And maybe also the word for world is forest.

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Three Body Problem is the go-to for this type of request IMO. Also Hyperion and The Quantum Thief. Those are the best three sci-fi I have read.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle today. I enjoyed it and it had a nice style, but the twist (I guess it was meant to be a twist) wasn't that surprising, and it fizzled out a bit I thought. Still enjoyable, but perhaps not as good as I had expected based on hearing about it from other people.

2cents

Scout
Finished Jurassic Park. It got less interesting in the last third, as the T-Rex kept turning up and Malcolm had less stuff to say. End was pretty shite, or I was just ready to move on at that point, but Hammond’s fate was still a highlight.

Was considering giving The Lost World a go but doubt I’ll bother now. Maybe Congo instead.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Finished Jurassic Park. It got less interesting in the last third, as the T-Rex kept turning up and Malcolm had less stuff to say. End was pretty shite, or I was just ready to move on at that point, but Hammond’s fate was still a highlight.

Was considering giving The Lost World a go but doubt I’ll bother now. Maybe Congo instead.
I read Congo years ago and my teenage self thought it was brilliant.

2cents

Scout
I read Congo years ago and my teenage self thought it was brilliant.
Good to know. For now though, I’ve just started The Stand by Stephen King. Hopefully it’s as epic as I’ve heard.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Both Congo and Lost World scored low on Goodreads. I bought the paperback version of Lost World years ago and enjoyed it, but was surprised to find it dull on an attempted reread.

Nickosaur

Your Face Tomorrow Vol 1 was brilliant. Looking forward to Vol 2 and 3.

Currently reading V. by Pynchon. Really enjoying it. His style is so unique.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I guess the widespread isolation will at least help people reach some reading targets for the year.

Currently reading Circe, and it's great so far.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I guess the widespread isolation will at least help people reach some reading targets for the year.

Currently reading Circe, and it's great so far.
:lol:I'm thinking I might be exhausting the supply of readable 200-300 page books in order to meet a stupid arbitrary target already.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Good to know. For now though, I’ve just started The Stand by Stephen King. Hopefully it’s as epic as I’ve heard.
It’s rightfully regarded as a Stephen King favorite.

Unfortunately, people who haven’t read it (or heard the audiobook) look at me like I’m crazy when I say in my redneck accent, ‘M-O-O-N now that spells trouble’.

ChrisNelson

Just finished Dodgers by Bill Beverly - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dodgers-Bi...ers&qid=1584349524&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=8-1

When I finish books I normally pass them on to my mum as we both read a lot of crime/ thriller ones but this one is a bit different and I can't see it being her cup of tea.

I really enjoyed it and I'm happy to post FOC (through work :)) if anyone wants it and trusts me! Just DM me and I'll send, will save you a fiver and it's a good read.

padzilla

Hipster
Three Body Problem is the go-to for this type of request IMO. Also Hyperion and The Quantum Thief. Those are the best three sci-fi I have read.
Reading The Women by Naomi Alderman right now - it's excellent and well worth checking out. Seems to be written with a Netflix style adaptation in mind.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Wolf Hall is actually really funny at times. Was reading yesterday about grumpy old warhorse Duke of Norfolk, and how he grabbed his niece Anne (Boleyn) by the wrist and insisted on dancing with her; Mantel made it sound as if Norfolk's dreadful dad-dancing was like someone stamping a fire out with their feet, while Anne was thrown around like a knackered swan with a broken wing.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Wolf Hall is actually really funny at times. Was reading yesterday about grumpy old warhorse Duke of Norfolk, and how he grabbed his niece Anne (Boleyn) by the wrist and insisted on dancing with her; Mantel made it sound as if Norfolk's dreadful dad-dancing was like someone stamping a fire out with their feet, while Anne was thrown around like a knackered swan with a broken wing.
The only thing I've read by her is The Giant, O'Brien, which I was OK, but felt too much like a gentle Sunday evening BBC comedy drama (except for one C bomb).

I've started reading John Irving's The Hotel New Hampshire and that is darkly funny.

SteveJ

Scout
Haven't read that one, mate. Will take a look soonish. :)

SteveJ

Scout
The trouble with most Holmes collections is that the publishers usually insist on including underwhelming, throwaway Holmes stories (The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, for example) amongst the gems.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Do you ever read a book and think, this is good but I'm having a hard time wanting to finish it?

I'm having that issue with The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.
Yup. I was reading a really good crime fiction book a few years ago but used 3 summers to finish it :lol: I'm done with it now and have no clue why I wasted so much time reading it.

SteveJ

Scout
Moby Dick, part genius - part borefest.
As with many classic novels, I find that the criticism is frequently more interesting than the books:
'Moby-Dick rejects male sexual destiny, which Romanticism portrays as servitude to female power. Melville declares: 'I shall revive the chthonian but in masculine form'. The novel subtly hermaphroditizes the great whale without genuinely diluting his masculinity...the book honours a subterranean or submarine deity, a mute, amoral counter conception to talkative, law-giving Jehovah.'

(Camille Paglia, 'Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson')

SteveJ

Scout
Yeah, keep yer deerstalker on. :D

SteveJ

Scout
Definitely this too. Never finished it.
There are far too many digressions in it. Obviously, Melville thought these to be important but - unlike us - he was obsessed with his subject.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m in the process of writing my first book. Really exciting journey, doubt it will be my last.

Classical Mechanic

There are far too many digressions in it. Obviously, Melville thought these to be important but - unlike us - he was obsessed with his subject.
Indeed. At first I thought that it would be one of my favourite novels. The way in which Queequeg and Ishmael become acquainted is brilliant. The prose is poetic and the characters are Dickensian in how eccentric and engaging they are. Sadly it veers off course too often into technical lectures about cetology whilst you're thinking 'what's Queequeg up to?'