Books The BOOK thread

Nickosaur

Nah, more a ‘self-help’ type if you like. I’ll post more updates as things develop.
Best of luck mate.

I've been lucky enough to have a couple of short stories published in the last few years. Would love to write a book but I've never written much more than 3000 words. I dont think I have the energy or discipline to ever achieve that!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Best of luck mate.

I've been lucky enough to have a couple of short stories published in the last few years. Would love to write a book but I've never written much more than 3000 words. I dont think I have the energy or discipline to ever achieve that!
Yea, I’ve done journalism in the past but have wanted to write a book for a few years. At the New Year I just decided it was something I had to achieve this year and went for it.

Thanks for the support.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Moby Dick is a book that slowly reveals its magic over repeat readings. What initially seem to be languid encyclopedic digressions later become the essential texture of the book. And they're not as dry as they first appear. The text is slathered in irony and absurd black humour:
The Cassock extract said:
Look at the sailor, called the mincer, who now comes along, and assisted by two allies, heavily backs the grandissimus, as the mariners call it, and with bowed shoulders, staggers off with it as if he were a grenadier carrying a dead comrade from the field. Extending it upon the forecastle deck, he now proceeds cylindrically to remove its dark pelt, as an African hunter the pelt of a boa. This done he turns the pelt inside out, like a pantaloon leg; gives it a good stretching, so as almost to double its diameter; and at last hangs it, well spread, in the rigging, to dry. Ere long, it is taken down; when removing some three feet of it, towards the pointed extremity, and then cutting two slits for arm-holes at the other end, he lengthwise slips himself bodily into it. The mincer now stands before you invested in the full canonicals of his calling. Immemorial to all his order, this investiture alone will adequately protect him, while employed in the peculiar functions of his office...what a candidate for an archbishopric, what a lad for a Pope were this mincer!
The likening of the skin of a whale's penis to the Pope's robes.

As for literary criticism, Toni Morrison details some neat insights into Melville and Moby Dick over several essays, particularly those compiled in "Playing In The Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination". She highlights the way in which Melville is seen carefully wrestling with the idea of the savage in his work, and contrasting it with Hemingway's more uninquisitive, exploitative approach.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
what a candidate for an archbishopric, what a lad for a Pope were this mincer!
Thanks for the Father Ted extract, D. :D Melville: he invented gayness.

More seriously, the novel's whole business is to assert the masculine over the feminine; Melville has a very vested interest in this. ;)

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Have you got your copy of The Mirror & The Light yet? I've taken a couple of days holiday at the end of the month specifically to take a crack at it.

SteveJ

Scout
I can't afford it at the moment, mate. So I read Wolf Hall again instead.

Suv666

Cheers for the Sci-Fi recommendations lads. Finished Stranger from Strangeland, PKD's Flow My Tears The Policeman Said and Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End. Starting The Three Body Problem today.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Do you ever read a book and think, this is good but I'm having a hard time wanting to finish it?

I'm having that issue with The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.
Yeah I found that. Very heavy reading. Beautiful but heavy.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Just finished The Girl In the Spiders Web by Lagerkrantz. I think its a decent follow on and Lagerkrantz first. He keeps up the character development and fast pace of the first 3 but I cant help but think I'm getting a bit tired of the stories.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm reading "How to Win Friends & Influence People", but I'm...not impressed. Some of the principles outlined seem similar and I'm quite confident half of the "success stories" didn't happen in the way they were described.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I'm reading "How to Win Friends & Influence People", but I'm...not impressed. Some of the principles outlined seem similar and I'm quite confident half of the "success stories" didn't happen in the way they were described.
That's why I never read self help books. But I was tempted to read the book for years.

Nickosaur

Finished V. by Pynchon last night. I really enjoy his fragmented narratives and humour. But overall this didn't affect me as much as Gravity's Rainbow. Great read nonetheless.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
25% through The Stand and shit is truly on. This @Randall Flagg seems an interesting character.

SteveJ

Scout
1599: A Year In The Life Of William Shakespeare

Suv666

Finished The Three Body Problem. Good read, although would have liked to read more about the Cultural Revolution.
Currently reading The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin.

SteveJ

Scout
1606: William Shakespeare and the Year of Lear

Author James Shapiro somehow manages to subtly highlight the sheer genius of Shakespeare without any off-putting hyperbole. And it's a perplexing kind of genius, perplexing because William was very much a pragmatic playwright - entirely focused on entertaining theatre-goers in what was a truly popular and often crude commercial art-form, and adept at swift revisions, editing etc etc - and yet his work frequently impresses beyond obvious praise/criticism (e.g. it has philosophical 'depth' and so on). William must have been under constant, intense pressure to merely dash out crowd-pleasing, 'safe' works complete with uplifiting endings.

Shapiro made me realise that Shakespeare was several centuries(!) ahead of his time and art without ever explicitly stating this. WS, as the author suggests, was not only admirably devoted to his craft but was also astonishingly bold and far-sighted while working in the highly commercial field which provided his living. That was a tremendous achievement, especially as Shakespeare's plays were noted for reflecting the turmoil of his own time. There are, I'm certain, books with more panache (though this book isn't dry by any means) but this one is balanced, and so its arguments are more convincing than other works either championing WS's brilliance or decrying his supposed ignorance.

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'm reading Edgar Allan Poe's sole novel, The Narrative of A. Gordon Pym. The story is based on a ship and has some tedious tangents into the art of packing a ship's cargo evenly or handling the sails in a storm, which really slow down the pace.

SteveJ

Scout
When you mentioned the tedious and, arguably unnecessary digressions, I looked-up Wiki and...
In the years since its publication, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket became an influential work, notably for Herman Melville
No surprise there then.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
When you mentioned the tedious and, arguably unnecessary digressions, I looked-up Wiki and...

No surprise there then.
:lol:Wow, that does follow. It's odd, as I'd associate Poe with a breathless kind of pacing in his novels and the descriptions are shoehorned in between life and death scenes. Steve Bruce also took inspiration.

SteveJ

Scout
:lol:

Tbh, I often find Poe's writing a bit too rich - like being slowly drowned in dark chocolate; not as pleasurable as it might initially sound.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I love Pym, or anything surrounding the Essex, Richard Parker, Nantucket, cannibalism. Pym is so grisly.

If he hasn't been lost yet, can you keep an eye out for the dog, he seems to just vanish suddenly from the book and backtracking through the pages I could never find what happened.

SteveJ

Scout
Have you read In the Heart of the Sea?
The famous anecdote about Owen Chase's attic haunts me.

Suv666

Finished The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin. Blown away, absolute masterpiece. I need to read more Le Guin, she's a brilliant writer.
Thinking of starting Flowers for Algernon next.