Books The BOOK thread

Nickosaur

I've started Roberto Bolano's Distant Star. Looking forward to it - not far in and already it's turned very dark.
Finished this last night. Fascinating premise about a fascist poet who uses the Pinochet regime to carry out his twisted idea of an art movement.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's slowed a bit. In the first 2-3 weeks I was reading so much news online and on here that I read books a bit less.
I've been less interested in the news for a while now, but the lockdown has resulted in a general lethargy that I'm struggling to shake.
Saying that I've still read about six, admittedly pretty short, books this month.
That's pretty good. Maybe it's better to read shorter books then?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
That's pretty good. Maybe it's better to read shorter books then?
Depends. I thought I'd try and read 52 books this year, so it pushes you to predominantly read shorter ones.
I'm managing to add in the odd longer one - reading The Grapes of Wrath now - but it can be a bit limiting though. Plus I need to find another 20 or so books that are 200-300 pages long :lol:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Queen of Fashion: what Marie Antoinette wore to the Revolution
(by Caroline Weber)

I really didn't expect to be entertained by this book (it was recommended to me because of its good reputation) but it's excellent, and proves the author's main point: that a seemingly trivial matter - the Queen's choices in her style of dress and ornamentation - was actually massively important to her standing with not only fellow aristocrats but also the French public in general. Surprisingly, Weber convinced me that these choices were not, as I believed, an insignificant factor in the French monarchy's overthrow. For all Marie's famed superficiality and excess, it's incredible to read of the suffocating, relentless pressure she was subjected to from the moment she left her Austrian homeland for the French court...and what a horrible nest of vipers that was. If ever a royal court was ripe for revolution, it was this one, and Marie Antoinette was far from being the worst culprit:
At a time when a well-to-do noble family could live luxuriously on 30,000 livres a year, Madame Du Barry (the mistress of Marie's grandfather-in-law, King Louis Auguste) once spent 450,000 livres on a single bodice.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Queen of Fashion: what Marie Antoinette wore to the Revolution
(by Caroline Weber)

I really didn't expect to be entertained by this book (it was recommended to me because of its good reputation) but it's excellent, and proves the author's main point: that a seemingly trivial matter - the Queen's choices in her style of dress and ornamentation - was actually massively important to her standing with not only fellow aristocrats but also the French public in general. Surprisingly, Weber convinced me that these choices were not, as I believed, an insignificant factor in the French monarchy's overthrow. For all Marie's famed superficiality and excess, it's incredible to read of the suffocating, relentless pressure she was subjected to from the moment she left her Austrian homeland for the French court...and what a horrible nest of vipers that was. If ever a royal court was ripe for revolution, it was this one, and Marie Antoinette was far from being the worst culprit:
Interesting!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just brought J.G.Ballard's Concrete Island. Looking forward to eventually siting down and reading it.
Crash is my favourite ever book,btw.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I've just finished a book called Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. It's a book that follows a Korean family from 1911 to 1989, so it really spans over 3 generations. It centers around this Korean family who settled in Japan in 1911and the trials and tribulations that comes with being a Korean living in Japan in that era. Korea was under the colony rule of Japan at the start of the book through the end of WW2.

I enjoyed reading this because it was kind a story rooted in historical context, so I got to learn a bit about the real-life Korean/Japan relationship during that time period whilst also enjoying the story itself. I had some issues with the writing style but I've been told that books written in the Korean language are mostly written in this manner and the author might have tapped into that style given the subject matter, but meh, although I enjoyed the book overall, the writing style didn't really work for me.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Let me know how it is. I ordered Crash the other day. Didn't realise he wrote Empire of the Sun too- quite a varied back catalogue.
Will Crash be your first Ballard book ?
If so,go in with a open mind. :D

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yeah it will. I saw the film years back. Got to finish Grapes of Wrath and read Northanger Abbey first though.
The film is ,minor a few little differences, a very good adaption. One of my favourite Cronenberg movies in fact.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'm trying to make 52 books and, after a slow start, I'm on track.

At least I thought I was, until I noticed that among my unread books are the likes of Vanity Fair, Underworld, The Corrections, Don Quixote and Ulysees.

Jesus.

Last edited:

Nickosaur

Was rooting through my stack of books and decided to pick up Slaughterhouse Five again, last read it about five years ago. What a book.

Jippy

Staff
I'm trying to make 52 books and, after a slow start, I'm on track.

At least, I thought I was, until I noticed that, among my unread books are the likes of Vanity Fair, Underworld, The Corrections, Don Quixote and Ulysees.

Jesus.
Christ, they're hefty books. I'm on track for hitting 52 as well, but I've got quite a few 400-500 pagers that might derail my attempts.

SteveJ

Scout
Re: that Marie Antoinette book I posted about - it's unbelievable. It seems that MA's routine response to being jeered by the public (or criticised in print) for her extravagance was to order an entire new wardrobe of clothes in order to either show a) defiance, or b) 'sympathy' with the cause(s) of the very same public who despised her. In reading the book, I've reached the point where I can't tell whether she was wilful or idiotic or bold or...? Granted, she couldn't do right for doing wrong - in the view of the masses - but it's some story nonetheless, and arguably more suited to a dark fairytale as it's so astonishing; in trying to save the monarchy she had jeopardised, she played a massive part in destroying it.

Eckers99

Christ, they're hefty books. I'm on track for hitting 52 as well, but I've got quite a few 400-500 pagers that might derail my attempts.
Tell me about it. Had another look and I can now add Middlemarch and, appropriately, Bleak House to the list.

Kids books until September it is.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Has anybody else found their reading habits have gone to shit since lockdown? Usually I'd find time to read at the weekend or after work in between doing other bits and bobs, but as I've had so much downtime I have no inclination to pick up a book at all.

To combat it, I've re-subbed to audible again. Listened to Running Dog (Don Delillo) last week but wasn't not a big fan at all. I've read plenty of Delillo before and it's like an entire novel of his worst tendencies as a writer. He's much better slipping into abstract ponderances when there's a guiding plot.

Started Infinite Jest this week, which I read half of a few years ago. I reckon I'll finish this time as it translates to audiobook incredibly well.
Yes absolutely. I normally read on my commute or a few minutes in the evening or before bed but now I'm working from home and driving in when I have to go into the office I find it nearly impossible to read. Despite being on lock down I've read less. Bit ridiculous.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I just finished the 5th and 6th books in the girl with the dragon tattoo series. I liked them as page turners and they didnt drop the standard of the first 3. Currently on to the Five People you meet in heaven by mitch albom. Mitch really calms me with the way he writes. Cant explain it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I like Cronenberg and need to watch the film again (after I read the book), I only really remember sex, scars and leg braces.
I would recommend Chris Rodley's Cronenberg on Cronenberg if you're interested in the Canadian film-maker.
Rodley also wrote a book based on his interviews with American film-maker David Lynch with a similar themed title called : Lynch on Lynch.
Both excellent reads.

I should be receiving Concrete Island tomorrow,hopefully.
Desperate to read something new.

Jippy

Staff
I would recommend Chris Rodley's Cronenberg on Cronenberg if you're interested in the Canadian film-maker.
Rodley also wrote a book based on his interviews with American film-maker David Lynch with a similar themed title called : Lynch on Lynch.
Both excellent reads.

I should be receiving Concrete Island tomorrow,hopefully.
Desperate to read something new.
I've still got a chunk of my Amazon gift voucher left, so will have a look, cheers. Just found out I fecked up and Crash is not arriving until 12 May ffs.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just reading Mao's Great Famine at the moment by Frank Dikotter. I know very little of Chinese History but finding this a very good, albeit very disturbing, read. It's staggering to think 45 million people were starved, beaten or worked to death between 1958 and 1962.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just reading Mao's Great Famine at the moment by Frank Dikotter. I know very little of Chinese History but finding this a very good, albeit very disturbing, read. It's staggering to think 45 million people were starved, beaten or worked to death between 1958 and 1962.

Looks really interesting. Just looked it up and it seems that it’s one part of a trilogy by the author on the Chinese Revolution. Love a good historical trilogy, I think I might order all three this week.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Looks really interesting. Just looked it up and it seems that it’s one part of a trilogy by the author on the Chinese Revolution. Love a good historical trilogy, I think I might order all three this week.
Yeah I plan on picking the others up at some point but my reading list is ridiculous at the minute so I need to stop buying books :lol:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Anyone here read William Gibson's Neuromancer ?
I've been recommended the 'modern sci-fi classic' a few times by my brother but I keep forgetting to search up on it.

Once I've got through Ballard's Concrete Island,which I'm heavily immersed in, I may finally buy the Gibson classic.

Eckers99

Went for a nice evening walk and one of the houses I was passing had a box of stuff they were giving away on the wall outside. Picked up a couple of books by Ian Banks (and possibly Covid 19) including 'The Crow Road' .

I'll die happy.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
:lol:

So accurate. One of the pluses of this quarantine is the used book shop down the street has been closed since March, so I’ve been forced to work through my backlog.
I just ordered those Dikotter books. I look forward to reviewing them on the Cafe during the Covid-35 lockdown.

SteveJ

Scout
I've been reading about the French Revolution. Christ, it's bloody confusing. It seems to go like this:

Citizen X deposes the King.
Citizen X distributes bread to the starving public.
Citizen X is hailed as a hero by the starving public.
Citizen X is thrown through a window by political rivals.
Citizen X is declared to be corrupt.
Citizen X is burnt in effigy, along with toast, by the starving public.
Citizen X is executed.
Citizen X's body is made into cat food.
Citizen X is rehabilitated.
Bowls of Citizen X's remains are placed in the Panthéon.
Citizen X is hailed as a hero by starving cats.
The Panthéon is burned down by the cats' political rivals.
Citizen X is exhumed, and the bowls are buried next to deceased monarchs in Saint-Denis.
Saint-Denis is destroyed by the starving public. Citizen X's bowls are shattered.
The starving public are declared corrupt, burned down and turned into cat food by Citizen X.
Citizen X is hailed as a hero by the smouldering remains of the starving public.
Citizen X's remains want the King back.

Suv666

Anyone here read William Gibson's Neuromancer ?
I've been recommended the 'modern sci-fi classic' a few times by my brother but I keep forgetting to search up on it.
Its a great book. I read it recently, although its a bit overrated. Certainly not as good as other Sci-Fi "classics" I've read.

Suv666

Read Bukowski's Ham on Rye not very impressed. It was a decent read but I've heard so much about Bukowski I thought it will be something special. Bukowski is a very talented poet though, he dropped some poignant lines unfortunately, few and far between.