Books The BOOK thread

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
How does Solitude compare to Love in the Time of Cholera? I read the latter and didn't hugely enjoy it so haven't delved into Marquez since.
Would say Solitude is far better. Cholera is beautifully written, as you'd expect, but Solitude much more gripping for me and a lot bigger in scope. A true epic in many respects. Similar stylistically though so if it's Marquez's prose your not keen on might not be for you.

Wing Attack Plan R

You are welcome! Recommend me something you are reading too.
Right now I'm re reading the tunnel, by Ernesto Sabato, a very good short book.
Right now I'm struggling through a couple books that were given to me last Christmas. None of them are literary fiction. My friend who gave them to me is trying to get me to read fantasy, so I have been assigned The Priory of the Orange Tree.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
If I may; I attempted to read The Priory of the Orange Tree twice, and have given up on it. I have read Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett. It was very good. Priory of the OrangeTree was very slow, and the rewards don't justify the effort put in the beginning of the book.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Right now I'm struggling through a couple books that were given to me last Christmas. None of them are literary fiction. My friend who gave them to me is trying to get me to read fantasy, so I have been assigned The Priory of the Orange Tree.
I started reading fantasy relatively recently. I got some good recommendations in a thread on this forum.
I downloaded a lot of books in one go and I think I started the one you say, which was also recommended to me.
From the little I've read I liked Abercrombie, very obvious for those who like the genre.
The First Law trilogy.

Wing Attack Plan R

If I may; I attempted to read The Priory of the Orange Tree twice, and have given up on it. I have read Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett. It was very good. Priory of the OrangeTree was very slow, and the rewards don't justify the effort put in the beginning of the book.
That is not good news. This book is massive too. The guy who gave it to me is really into military history of the ancient world, so he might be seeing things in that book that a normal person would not be all that impressed with. Wish me luck!

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
That is not good news. This book is massive too. The guy who gave it to me is really into military history of the ancient world, so he might be seeing things in that book that a normal person would not be all that impressed with. Wish me luck!
Godspeed!

EverReddy

HAven't looked through this thread to see if it's been previously recommended but The Pilgrim is the best thriller I've read for a long time. Brilliantly plotted, bio-terrorist page turner.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
2023 has been life-changing.

I thought I would find everything I needed in Terry Pratchett and nonfiction Science. Turns out I missed something feckin invaluable...

The Stormlight Archive.

I started in April and have now finished the fourth. So, so, so amazing. Incredible. For those up for a fantastical journey of epic proportions, read it

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari is brill. Can’t recommend it enough if you are interested in the history of us humans and human kind.

Packed with interesting stuff and a good read too.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Is it weird to like reading plays but having no interest in seeing them? I've hated it every time I've been to the theatre and hadn't read a play since school til last month.

Read An Inspector Calls and some others by Priestley, Gogol's The Government Inspector and Ibsen's Doll's House, Ghosts and Hedda Gabler.

What else is good?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Is it weird to like reading plays but having no interest in seeing them? I've hated it every time I've been to the theatre and hadn't read a play since school til last month.

Read An Inspector Calls and some others by Priestley, Gogol's The Government Inspector and Ibsen's Doll's House, Ghosts and Hedda Gabler.

What else is good?
I'm like that but I dislike overacting and theatre seems to have tons of it. I still get flashbacks from my own student drama society days :nervous:

Chekhov is really good to read.

Jippy

Staff
I'm like that but I dislike overacting and theatre seems to have tons of it. I still get flashbacks from my own student drama society days :nervous:

Chekhov is really good to read.
That's a really good shout, thanks. I liked a book of short stories I've got by him.

I'm totally with you on the overacting. My wife dragged me to some tumescent Kenneth Branagh play a few years back and it felt like the acting was more a parody of emotions, everything felt so forced and overblown. It was a very long couple of hours.

The Purley King

Not sure if its been mentioned here before, but Caimh McDonnell books are absolutely amazing. Have read all of them within a few months.
Can highly recommend if you fancy a good laugh and some good storytelling too. The Bunny McGarry ones are very "Irish", so may not appeal to Irish folk in the same way as they did to me, but I found them laugh out loud funny.

Jippy

Staff
Just read To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. So much better than The Waves, though not as good as Mrs Dalloway for me.
Some of the writing in the first part is beautiful, though it tapers off in the last third for me.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Hombre for sure. I've read more of his crime stuff than old west, but that one is a classic of the genre and well worth the read.
I finally got round to reading this (bought the book after your post but only read it now). Thank you for the excellent recommendation. Finished reading it in a few hours. Trying to get a copy of the movie now.

anything else from him you’d recommend?

Sweet Square

Britney Spears autobiography is interesting. Finished it in about 1 and half days but worth a read.

Also Justin Timberlake is a prick!

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I finally got round to reading this (bought the book after your post but only read it now). Thank you for the excellent recommendation. Finished reading it in a few hours. Trying to get a copy of the movie now.

anything else from him you’d recommend?
Cheers! I'd say Valdez is Coming is also outstanding. Ive read maybe a dozen Leonard novels and still need to read a lot more! His writing is just so compelling

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
I like Almudena Grandes, Pérez Reverte, Galdós, Allende, Benedetti, and yet I am unable to read Vargas Llosa, perhaps the last great living writer, or Borges, which I find too elevated for me. Camilo José Cela or Javier Marías are also very heavy for me.
There is an anthology of Javier Marias' newspaper articles, essays, rants etc about football, which should be right up your alley.
It was published in cooperation with a german journalist so i'm not sure there is an english or spanish version of it at all. I'm pretty sure some of the articles are published in book-form elsewhere. Worth the search as a Madridista, or football lover in general.
the German title is "alle unsere frühen Schlachten" and the co-author is called Paul Ingendaay.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
There is an anthology of Javier Marias' newspaper articles, essays, rants etc about football, which should be right up your alley.
It was published in cooperation with a german journalist so i'm not sure there is an english or spanish version of it at all. I'm pretty sure some of the articles are published in book-form elsewhere. Worth the search as a Madridista, or football lover in general.
the German title is "alle unsere frühen Schlachten" and the co-author is called Paul Ingendaay.
I have already found it in Spanish, "wild and sentimentals". I'll have a look.
Thank you

Red_Aaron

Had to read Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead for a works book club

Found it pretty underwhelming tbh

It's a re-imagining of David Copperfield, which I've not read tbf, but I'm still willing to bet Mr Dickens put a lot more effort into his prose than Ms Kingsolver, it was all very perfunctory . Despite the huge amount of incident I struggled to find any weight in the drama or feel any empathy for any of the characters at all

Hopefully the group pick something better next month

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Had to read Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead for a works book club

Found it pretty underwhelming tbh

It's a re-imagining of David Copperfield, which I've not read tbf, but I'm still willing to bet Mr Dickens put a lot more effort into his prose than Ms Kingsolver, it was all very perfunctory . Despite the huge amount of incident I struggled to find any weight in the drama or feel any empathy for any of the characters at all

Hopefully the group pick something better next month
I had to DNF The Murder of Mr Wickham, The Other Bennett Sister, and a Georgiana's Diary book (she was the younger sister of Darcy), all by different authors, to understand that most writers whose books are published, are woefully underqualified for such undertaking.

Jippy

Staff
I finished the 52 in 52 for the fourth year last night. Finally read books from a bunch of authors I hadn't gotten round to reading, including Edith Wharton, Robert Heinlein, Ursula Le Guin and Saul Bellow. And finally read some plays. Shirley Jackson and Katherine Mansfield are massively underrated. Gravity's Rainbow is very long.

Highlights- Shirley Jackson: We have always lived in the castle, The lottery and other stories, Katherine Mansfield: Bliss, Haruki Marukami: Blind willow, sleeping woman, Edith Wharton: The age of innocence, Henrik Ibsen: A doll's house,Truman Capote: In cold blood

Lowlights: Completing HP Lovecraft's work. Ishiguro's When we were orphans, Bohumil Hrabal's Cutting it short and Ian McEwan's Solar all underwhelming in different ways.

pablo__p

Finished Fredrik Backman's Beartown and it's amazing. Highly recommended.

Also read Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir and it is a good book too but a tiny bit too nerdy at times for my liking.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I read Ernesto Sabato's -- The Tunnel this year. Probably my favourite read of 2023.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Really enjoying some spiritual-based books at the moment.

The Power of Now - Ekhart Tolle
A New Earth - Ekhart Tolle
The Wisdom of Insecurity - Alan Watts
Why Buddhism is True - Robert Wright