Books The BOOK thread

Don't Kill Bill

Dan Brown...shit ..I think he gave us a clue with his name.

Grisham...Pants no clue in his name or his writing.

King.Brilliant until he got up himself.Dead Zone great Pet Cemetery ohhh.

Koontz...Fear Nothing.. Seize the Night worth reading if you can get past the surfer talk.

My tip for the Red Café book club would be-----

Altered Carbon is it Richard Morgan(loaned it to a Friend and can't remember)?very good book if you're into Sci Fi.

I've read a couple of Stephen Baxter's and they were depressing shite.Revelation space Alister Reynolds was quite good.

The Alchemist was supposed to be a deep allegoric masterpiece or sumat.I thought god this is shit all the way through reading the damn thing.I am probably not smart enough to get it.

On the spy genre .I loved Smileys people and the Bourne trilogy was OK.

I would second Bryson for a relaxing read.

Feel free to disagree or ignore.:O)

redbunny

Attention Seeker
i totaly agree on dan brown. still i like the alchemist and zahir by the same author= Coelho.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
I liked Coelho when I read one of his books for the first time. But after reading a couple of his books I found out they´re all so similar.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Altered Carbon is it Richard Morgan(loaned it to a Friend and can't remember)?very good book if you're into Sci Fi.
Richard K. Morgan

good book, sort of sci-fi noir if you can call it that
also read Broken Angels which was not bad but not as good as Altered Carbon

Don't Kill Bill

On the Coelho point.I don't get him at all.Can someone explain what I am missing?Just because it is better to serve tea in crystal glasses, does not enlighten me at all.

Veron

Varun
Anybody read The Children of Hurin. Can't find a torrent for it yet.

ManUinOz

Betty Swallox
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those w
I just finished a book last night called Marley and Me by John Grogan

http://http://www.marleyandme.com/

It an autobiography (sort of) of the authors relationship with the dog he desrcibes as "the world's worst". Anyone who loved dogs will surely love this book, it had me giggling in public in parts and close to tears in others. A great read that I related to having owned a pyschotic dog in the past and owning a stupid one now. 8.5/10.

sev_franklin

I absolutely want to read that one, I heard it`s very good and very bizzare.
It is probably the most random book you will ever read. Definitely worth the effort. Also one of the funniest, but maybe not as laugh out loud funny as Catch 22, but so it goes...

Nearco

youth team player
Iain M. Banks SF books:

Consider Phlebas
Player of Games
Use of Weapons
Against a Dark Background
Excession
Inversions
Look To Windward

All fecking excellent, and i`m not really a SF fan.

topper

Clown
I just finished a book last night called Marley and Me by John Grogan

http://http://www.marleyandme.com/

It an autobiography (sort of) of the authors relationship with the dog he desrcibes as "the world's worst". Anyone who loved dogs will surely love this book, it had me giggling in public in parts and close to tears in others. A great read that I related to having owned a pyschotic dog in the past and owning a stupid one now. 8.5/10.
Thanks - sounds great and will have to buy it

D J Dog Toffee

the dark tower series by stephen king is excellent ,
I thought the first couple were aces, but after the Wolves of Calla, the series got quite gay..

But for my tuppenceworth I'm re-reading American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand by James Ellroy (of L.A. Confidential fame, another cracking read).

Awesome books.. His autobiography My Dark Places is one of the most interesting and disturbing books you will ever read..

sev_franklin

i just started reading some chuck palahniuk books.... i like.. it's nice!
Enjoy. His work is excellent. Especially Choke and Survivor. If you like Chuck you would need to check out Craig Clevenger, and Will Christopher Baer.

stevetheskier

Good books about United

We're The Famous Man United by Andy Mitten
Manchester United - The Untold Story by Ned Kelly
Manchester United - The Betrayal of a Legend by Michael Crick and David Smith.

All give an insight into various aspects of the club and are totally different to the standard players autobiographies.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Any favourite books from Dostojevski? I only read The Idiot but I wanna get more.

Also I wanna get "Red Cavalry" from Isaac Emanuelowitch Babel, has anyone read that one?

Red Haze

Dostoevsky's Village Of Stepanchikovo, The Brothers Karamazov and The Gambler are all good. Of course, Crime and Punishment is the most famous... but I thought a couple of the others were better (namely The Gambler and The Brothers Karamazov).

Coelho, in my opinion, is one of the most pretentious writers around. I've read 2-3 of his books, because they come highly recommended (Alchemist, Veronika Decides To Die) and didn't enjoy them at all.

Dan Brown: I had the misfortune of reading one of his books (Da Vinci Code) and it was poor. The mystery was weak, the grammar appalling and the plot unconvincing. To add to it, so many of the facts are wrong, that it's almost embarassing. There isn't any need to refer to things that do exist (MI5, Interpol, Opus Dei etc) and then concoct the facts about them...

Am presently reading The End Of Alice, which is written in first person. The protagonist is a pedophile, and the focus is on his correspondence with another pedophile. Very disturbing... but simultaneously, it's gripping. If you have a penchant for looking into the dark side of human psychology, you should give this a shot.