Books The BOOK thread

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Acacia: This is quickly turning into a gem of a book. Ok, maybe gem is a bit strong, but it's definitely rich with potential. I will admit it started off slowly, it was hard to build a rapport with any of the characters, and the prose seemed clumsy at times. However, once past the first 'book' (the first book in the trilogy itself is divided into 3 separate 'books'. At least I think it is 3. I'm still not quite at the end) the story really starts to take off.

It's very much a Song of Ice and Fire-lite, in that it tries to weave a whole world into it's pages, and focuses on lots of different characters, rather than just the few. The world itself is richly built, and almost makes up for the, so-far, lack of depth in the characters themselves (though this is the same negative Martin suffered in the first book of ASoIaF in my opinion. It's hard to build vivid protagonist's early on in the book, when there are so many, and so much going on.)

The book takes place around a war between two peoples- the Mein, and the Acacian Empire. I won't to into too much for fear of giving anything away, but, like A Song of Ice and Fire, Durham (the author) does very well on keeping the focus on the whole, rather than centring on the sub-adventures of one or two characters as in many books. The story is told from the point of view of all sides, and so there are no black and whites for the reader. Durham also does a good job in keeping it simple, despite their being a fair few characters, with more being introduced as the story goes on, it's not difficult to follow the story in it's entirety.

I would definitely recommend it for anyone who, like me, is looking for something to pass the time until the next instalment of A Song of Ice and Fire. It's not as good, but it's not half bad either.

Great Hat

Just finished Foul by Andrew Jennings. It's a book on the inner workings of FIFA, and though it's a bit tabloid-ish and one-sided, it's an interesting, informative and fast-paced book on all of FIFA's transgressions from Blatter's bungs to Havelange's hoaxes. It's written in a style akin to popular crime fiction, which isn't massively my thing, but it saves the book from being too dry, and makes it more easily readable than if it were just an academic history of FIFA. One or two quite funny moments too. Definitely worth a read, even if the style takes some getting used to, and Jennings tale provides as much of a stance against FIFA as it does a dossier of their activities. A genuine battering-ram of bold accusations, dodgy deals, and Jack Warner's unusual ticketing 'policies'.

It also points out that Blatter is an even more seedy man than I'd expected.

On another note, I'd reccomend as a recent read, Dots on the Map by Colin Leckey, which is a fascinating and genuinely hilarious book in which the author visits the seven smallest states in Europe, and sees the fairly limited amount they have to offer, as well as delving into their different and often bizarre histories. :)

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I just read The Pied Piper, by Nevil Shute - mainly because I read it at school and wanted to see how it appeared to me now.

It's a nice little story, and I know Shute is a well respected author, but he constantly uses the word "presently" (so much so I started a thread in the General on the word!) and I'm sure it wouldn't get past a publisher like that today - when I say constantly, it's sometimes twice in the same, or close, paragraphs. I know word repetition is discouraged these days - makes you wonder how many older authors would have had to do a rewrite these days.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Just finished Sopie's Choice by William Styron .

I saw the film many many years ago but can't remember much about it, except that it made Meryl Streep as an actress. Why she proceeded to take any old crap bit of work after that, I do not know. By far the best actress in Hollywood & hasn't made a decent film (which shows off her undoubted talents) for years. To think that that wooden idiot Julia Roberts got all the best work and Meryl was left with a load of comedy capers beggers belief.

Anyway, back to the book. Its long but a real page turner. Some of the middle chapter descriptions of Auschwitz are almost documentary like.

Funnily enough there is a thread in the General which asked the same question (I think) as Sophie faced when she had to choose between her 2 children.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Anyone read any John Irving novels?

I just started his latest.
I read 'The world according to garp' and 'Ciderhouse rules'. Garp is good but my personal favourite is ciderhouse rules, I definitely recommend it. I started reading 'A prayer for owen meany' last week but I left it behind me on a plane which I'm gutted about because I was enjoying it a lot

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
I read 'The world according to garp' and 'Ciderhouse rules'. Garp is good but my personal favourite is ciderhouse rules, I definitely recommend it. I started reading 'A prayer for owen meany' last week but I left it behind me on a plane which I'm gutted about because I was enjoying it a lot
Garp is great, they're are all great the ones i've read. The only one i wasn't too into was Until I Find You which was maybe his longest book, almost 1000 pages and it wasn't keeping me interested and i found it hard going at times.

A Prayer for Owen Meany is awesome too, you need to get another copy!

17Larsson

Garp is great, they're are all great the ones i've read. The only one i wasn't too into was Until I Find You which was maybe his longest book, almost 1000 pages and it wasn't keeping me interested and i found it hard going at times.

A Prayer for Owen Meany is awesome too, you need to get another copy!
What I like about the two books I read and it looked like it was the same for Owen Meany was the timespan the books cover. By the end of the book you nearly feel just as nostalgic about the past as the character must feel when an old friend comes back or when he visits a place he hasn'e been in years

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
What I like about the two books I read and it looked like it was the same for Owen Meany was the timespan the books cover. By the end of the book you nearly feel just as nostalgic about the past as the character must feel when an old friend comes back or when he visits a place he hasn'e been in years
It is the same for all of his books. They all span a lifetime, i think all of his books feature this, it is very much his style. He also includes many simelar features in every book too. I think if you like Garp/Ciderhouse then you'll absolutely enjoy his other work.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Was lucky enought to get a signed copy of the new Bret Easton Ellis novel 'Imperial Bedrooms' last week.

I'm reading that before I move on to Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes.

wr8_utd

:'(
Has anyone on here read Agassi's autobio? Just ordered it, looks good from all the reviews.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Just finished Imperial Bedrooms. Good to see Ellis is still as fecked up as ever. There's a scene near the end that rivals anything in American Psycho.

On the whole it was a refreshingly fast paced read after Blood Meridian albeit a little light by comparison. I don't think it worked as well as he wanted it to as a contemporary Noir. In fact, I couldn't give a monkeys who was texting or tailing Clay (the protaganist) by the novels end.

Weird that I'd watched Less Than Zero the other week (which admittedly bears little resemblance to the novel) but rather than picture Clay as Andrew McCarthy I had him as Christian Bale in American Psycho all the way through.

I wasn't shocked then to find out by the end that in fact the character of Clay had pretty much turned into Bateman

spinoza

Paz's ion
Just ordered Game of Thrones from the library.

Looking to get into a good fantasy saga, and this one looks rather good.
It is good. But the 5th one is taking an awfully long time to come out.

Anyway, the whole thing boils down to 1 question, which George RR Martin should answer in a sealed envelope in case he dies before he finishes the series.
Who are Jon Snow's parents?

I'm a bit annoyed with planned long series any way - authors tend to move on and do something else before they finish them, as good as some of them are. I read recently that Scott Lynch is in depression and therefore won't be doing any more of his Locke Lamora series any time soon.

Karel_Poborsky

I've just read Shutter Island in under 48 hours, couldn't put it down. Loved it.

I've been thinking about trying out some more of Dennis Lehane's books because I did enjoy that one so much, has anyone read Mystic River or The Given Day?

Or any suggestions of similar books, much appreciated. Ta.

DoctorEvil

Anyway, the whole thing boils down to 1 question, which George RR Martin should answer in a sealed envelope in case he dies before he finishes the series.
Oh, plenty of signs point to an answer:
Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark
Enough hints so that I am certain enough and do not need an answer in a sealed envelope.

spinoza

Paz's ion
Oh, plenty of signs point to an answer:
Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark
Enough hints so that I am certain enough and do not need an answer in a sealed envelope.
Yeah, that's the current top theory. Which means the resolution is:

King Jon Targaryen I. Which is somehow slightly disappointing. Unless he shags his aunt.

Lance Uppercut

I decided to start reading The Dark Tower series. I don't know anything about it at all, really, but it seems interesting thus far. I am still on 'The Gunslinger.'

17Larsson

I decided to start reading The Dark Tower series. I don't know anything about it at all, really, but it seems interesting thus far. I am still on 'The Gunslinger.'
I've read mixed reviews of this series so I wasn't sure whether to start it or not. Seven books is a big commitment! I have 'The Gunslinger' I just didn't read it yet, if it's worth opening up let me know

The_Red_Hope

I've read mixed reviews of this series so I wasn't sure whether to start it or not. Seven books is a big commitment! I have 'The Gunslinger' I just didn't read it yet, if it's worth opening up let me know
Yep, its definitely worth pursuing. Its an epic in every sense of the word - a great central conflict, some fantastic characters and if you're a fan of King's work - it's his magnum opus and ties together his entire body of work. It's a bit long and drags a bit in the middle but overall well worth a read.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

King Jon Targaryen I. Which is somehow slightly disappointing. Unless he shags his aunt.
Yeah that's how I see it as well.

Hardly surprising. He's the stereotypical boy-who-would-be-king character in any fantasy book. The underdog, the reluctant but natural leader. The one person who wouldn't want it, and therefore is destined to become king. It's been done a thousand times in a thousand books, so I sort of home it isn't the way it pans out.

Of course there is still the possibility Eddard could be Jon's father. And there is always Gendry, which is such an ridiculous notion I hope it happens.

DoctorEvil

Yeah that's how I see it as well.

Hardly surprising. He's the stereotypical boy-who-would-be-king character in any fantasy book. The underdog, the reluctant but natural leader. The one person who wouldn't want it, and therefore is destined to become king. It's been done a thousand times in a thousand books, so I sort of home it isn't the way it pans out.

Of course there is still the possibility Eddard could be Jon's father. And there is always Gendry, which is such an ridiculous notion I hope it happens.
Hmm.
One major assumption here is that Jon Snow survives, rather than say, sacrifice his life to defeat the others.

With Martin you never know.

hungrywing

Honest folk. The first four books are very good. (Book four is probably the best-written and not a bad place to start reading, actually, like so: 4 1 2 3 5 6 7) The last three are like that circular hand gesture people make when they want you to either wrap up the story you're telling or just get to the point.

spinoza

Paz's ion
Hmm.
One major assumption here is that Jon Snow survives, rather than say, sacrifice his life to defeat the others.

With Martin you never know.
Too true. Another resolution could be:

King Brandon Stark in the North and Queen Daenerys Targaryen in the South. Although I reckon both aren't able to procreate.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Honest folk. The first four books are very good. (Book four is probably the best-written and not a bad place to start reading, actually, like so: 4 1 2 3 5 6 7) The last three are like that circular hand gesture people make when they want you to either wrap up the story you're telling or just get to the point.
It's starting to seem that way. Also I see what you did there.

I'm stuck in the middle of book five. Doesn't help that I'm on audiobook too and the guy who read books 2, 3, and 4 brilliantly (Frank Muller) got into an accident and someone else took over for the last three books and it's just not the same.

I'm not saying the story isn't still interesting at this point. I might just need a break because I've been on this series forever. It seems like if you're reading on print, it wouldn't be the proverbial page turner, but it would still be interesting nonetheless. One of those where once you start it's not that you can't stop but you do feel compelled to finish, if you know what I mean.

This is my first dive into Stephen King as well so I'm missing all of the connections to his other work. I think if you have nothing else to read, it's worth a start.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Escobar: Drugs. Guns. Money. Power by Roberto Escobar, ISBN 9780340951101 - QBD The Bookshop

I just finished this book about Pablo Escobar and could not put it down. The first time I have enjoyed a book so much since I sadly finished reading Shantaram!

Its gives a unique and detailed insight into the different phases of life that the Escobar brothers lived through and with enormous detail ... sometimes it fees like you are in the action ... which makes it similar to Shantaram.

One astonishing passage describes how cash came in so fast from Pablo Escobar's cocaine exports to the US, his organisation had to spend $2,500 on rubber bands every month, just to tie the money together!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Rumours are that a movie is being made but that will never live upto this book.

Its a 'must read'.

The_Red_Hope

Has anyone on here read Roger Zelazny's - Chronicles of Amber? I'm currently on the first book and this is painfully slow, his characterization is awful, I don't see myself relating to any character even remotely. His style is pretty annoying as well, why is this considered to be a classic? Maybe I'm just suffering from ASoIaF withdrawal.

DoctorEvil

Has anyone on here read Roger Zelazny's - Chronicles of Amber? I'm currently on the first book and this is painfully slow, his characterization is awful, I don't see myself relating to any character even remotely. His style is pretty annoying as well, why is this considered to be a classic? Maybe I'm just suffering from ASoIaF withdrawal.
Cause the story is very original. If you skip the travelling parts it is not so bad. The second series (books 6-10) is quite bad, so definitely skip that.

If you want a really good Zelazny book read Lord of Light. It is excellent though somewhat hard to read. (Because the plot jumps in time in a couple of places, and some parts are slow. Still, it is one of my favourite books of all time.)

The_Red_Hope

Cause the story is very original. If you skip the travelling parts it is not so bad. The second series (books 6-10) is quite bad, so definitely skip that.

If you want a really good Zelazny book read Lord of Light. It is excellent though somewhat hard to read. (Because the plot jumps in time in a couple of places, and some parts are slow. Still, it is one of my favourite books of all time.)
Thanks Doc. I know what you mean, its a little dated but I can imagine how his ideas might have been considered original at that time. Finished the first book 'Nine Princes in Amber', it got better towards the end but still not something i would recommend to people who have read a lot of fantasy before this. I have always heard good things about Lord of Light and it'll definitely be the next Zelazny that I read.

Picked up the first book of the Millenium trilogy - "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

wr8_utd

Thanks Doc. I know what you mean, its a little dated but I can imagine how his ideas might have been considered original at that time. Finished the first book 'Nine Princes in Amber', it got better towards the end but still not something i would recommend to people who have read a lot of fantasy before this. I have always heard good things about Lord of Light and it'll definitely be the next Zelazny that I read.

Picked up the first book of the Millenium trilogy - "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".
It's supposed to be very good.

Have you finished it? How was/is it?

wr8_utd

I have read book 12 and enjoyed it a lot. (You will need this bit of motivation to read book 10.)

There are some differences ins style between Jordan and Sanderson. The main one is that Jordan was much more subtle, in the sense that he would tell less, substituting hints instead. This mainly apply to what various characters think.

Anyway, while some characters seem a bit off, overall it is a very good book. IMO, Sanderson was a good choice for the author which would finish this story.
Brandon did a great job with TGS. Can't wait for Towers of Midnight now. It sounds brilliant!

Thom and Mat off to the Tower of G :drool:

The_Red_Hope

About a third in - and its a very quick, light and entertaining read. Enjoying it so far. And from what I read online from most reviewers and now agree with, it really is a page turner. I can't really put my finger on it, but it has a certain Fargo-esque quality to it.

The_Red_Hope

Brandon did a great job with TGS. Can't wait for Towers of Midnight now. It sounds brilliant!

Thom and Mat off to the Tower of G :drool:
I bought my copy as soon as it came out, but I'm going to wait until all three books are out before reading them simply because I have a torrid time keeping track of the minor characters without a list handy and don't want to put myself through recaps and revisions three times. The next one's due to be out in November?

wr8_utd

I bought my copy as soon as it came out, but I'm going to wait until all three books are out before reading them simply because I have a torrid time keeping track of the minor characters without a list handy and don't want to put myself through recaps and revisions three times. The next one's due to be out in November?
Yeah A Memory of Light comes end of next year. There is no way I would be able to wait till then to read the 12th and 13th!

17Larsson

I liked it, it's a pretty standard 'who done it' mystery. Some good plot turns and it definitely keeps you turning the pages.

After reading it, though, you'd think Sweden was full sex crazed rapists. I'm not sure what those statistics in between the chapters are for.

I wasn't overly convinced to buy the next two though.

DoctorEvil

Yep. The next one is written and will be out this November.

The last one will probably be late by a few months, according to the author. He said he needed a break and would only start to work on it in January.

Karel_Poborsky

I'm half way through the second book. I can confirm that the books are amazing... the thing is the story line just keeps getting better and the character development is some of the best. I feel like I know the main characters.