Books The BOOK thread

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yeah, it's an entertaining story, omar. Wilde was a genuine scholar, but was at his best when being humorous (as this tale is).

OB

Man, i have to read it and write a critical appreciation, comment on the ending, and character sketch on the 2 characters.

I've never read novels, long or short. Wish me luck. :nervous:

SteveJ

Scout
Up to you, omar, but if you're looking for a different angle on ordinary criticism, you could mention the following:

* The character Hiram Otis may be a reference to either Harrison Otis (publisher) or the name 'Hiram', which is the name of arguably the central character (Hiram Abiff) in Masonic ritual (Wilde was elevated to Master Mason degree while at Magdalen College, Oxford).

* This line from the story: 'I am also informed by Mrs Otis, who, I may say, is no mean authority upon Art – having had the privilege of spending several winters in Boston when she was a girl' surely refers to Wilde's generally positive experiences with the cultural society of Boston while he toured America in 1882.

JohnLocke

Blood Meridian's a barrel of holiday laughs. No, seriously, Adzzz's advice is good.
Is it funny or serious? I'd reckon serious, but as long as its good I don't mind.

I'll maybe try some Pratchett for holiday. Any suggestions where to start? I've got a few of his books. (about 20!)

Cheers to you both

SteveJ

Scout
It's totally grim, mate. A brilliant novel, but the writing style is an acquired taste. Probably best to avoid this one if you want a light-ish holiday read.

JohnLocke

I've read The Road and I started reading something about horses but I stopped after a while.

I read East of Eden and thought it was really good even though it's not my usual kind of book (different author I know).

You read any Pratchett books?

brad-dyrak

Just read the Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. Interesting but took me a while to read and bits went way over my head.
Good book as was "The Blind Watchmaker". His magnum opus "The Ancestor's Tale" is magnificent. It's a weighty tome, but it's wonderful. It's a walk down the evolutionary tree stopping for an evolution themed story at each common ancestor. Brilliant. He's a great biologist when he stays on message.

brad-dyrak

Chuck Palahniuk - Survivor

Douglas Adams - Dirk Gently's Detective Agency

And these ones tickle my fancy a bit:

Cormac McCarthy – Blood Meridian

Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad

For Whom the Bell Tolls & A Farewell to Arms – Ernest Hemmingway

The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
Great reads.

brad-dyrak

It's totally grim, mate. A brilliant novel, but the writing style is an acquired taste. Probably best to avoid this one if you want a light-ish holiday read.
It's bloody. After reading some histories of the Comanche wars though, I can assure you it's not gratuitous. Brutal times.

SCM

Is it funny or serious? I'd reckon serious, but as long as its good I don't mind.

I'll maybe try some Pratchett for holiday. Any suggestions where to start? I've got a few of his books. (about 20!)

Cheers to you both
Good ones to start off with for Pratchett are Mort, Reaper Man and Soul Music for introducing you to Death. For others after those Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms and Feet of Clay to introduce you to Vimes plus the others of the Night Watch. Death and Vimes are probably the most favourite characters for most Pratchett fans.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Read the very first one, then head towards Mort and the death classics.

The first one - of which the name somehow escapes me - is brilliant.

SCM

Colour of Magic was the first Discworld book but it wasn't one i would read first if it was me, it is a good start to the Discworld but just doesn't quite flow as well as the following books did.

JohnLocke

So it's not like you'll miss out on a whole lot if you give it a miss? Don't want to not read it if it's vital that you read them all in order.

SCM

No you will be safe leaving Colour of Magic until later if you want to as it only really introduces Rincewind and Luggage but in the later books with Rincewind in the character develops into a more polished character from the first appearance in this book. It was a bit of a standalone book as it didn't really tie into further books with a storyline that carried on to following books. The ones i picked earlier are the first ones in the Death and Vimes storylines and they do follow on from one another through the later books.

There are also the Witches series of books which again you are best to follow from the start to see how the characters grow along the way. These start with Equal Rights, Wyrd Sisters then Witches Abroad.

With you having a large number of the books already you can at least read the books back to back in the series, if you have them, to the conclusion or to the last book with that character until he writes more. As he tends to flit about between the characters in each book he writes in the Discworld series to fit in with his way of writing so coming in late to the books works out well to follow one character from book to book.

onesaf

I despair, this is the Top 10 Best Books Ever as voted by Goodreads members http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1.Best_Books_Ever

1 Twilight (Twilight, #1)
by Stephenie Meyer

2 The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
by Suzanne Collins

3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)
by J.K. Rowling

4 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
by J.K. Rowling

5 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)
by J.K. Rowling

6 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
by J.K. Rowling

7 Eclipse (Twilight, #3)
by Stephenie Meyer

8 Gone With the Wind
by Margaret Mitchell

9 Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4)
by Stephenie Meyer

10 The Giving Tree
by Shel Silverstein

SteveJ

Scout
11 I'm Going to Kill Myself
by SteveJ

brad-dyrak

Good ones to start off with for Pratchett are Mort, Reaper Man and Soul Music for introducing you to Death. For others after those Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms and Feet of Clay to introduce you to Vimes plus the others of the Night Watch. Death and Vimes are probably the most favourite characters for most Pratchett fans.
"Guards, Guards" was my clear favorite.

“They may be called the Palace Guard, the City Guard, or the Patrol. Whatever the name, their purpose in any work of heroic fantasy is identical: it is, round about Chapter Three (or ten minutes into the film) to rush into the room, attack the hero one at a time, and be slaughtered. No one ever asks them if they want to.
This book is dedicated to those fine men.”

SteveJ

Scout
Welllllllllllll, as long as it gets young people interested in reading. :)

Y'know, in my local supermarket, they have baskets - full to the brim - of Fifty Shades books...as if they were bunches of bananas or Mars bars. :rolleyes:

brad-dyrak

“Lessee...he'd gone off after the funeral and gotten drunk. No, not drunk, another word, ended with "er." Drunker. that was it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

“You had to hand it to the Patrician, he admitted grudgingly. If you didn't, he sent men to come and take it away.”
― Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

December_16

Welllllllllllll, as long as it gets young people interested in reading. :)

Y'know, in my local supermarket, they have baskets - full to the brim - of Fifty Shades books...as if they were bunches of bananas or Mars bars. :rolleyes:
Welllllll you can argue that one might do the job as well as the other ;)

celia

SteveJ

Scout
I'm reading a biography of Thomas Cromwell, Henry VIII's chief minister. In my favourite Hist. Fic. novel (Wolf Hall) Cromwell was presented as a thoroughly modern, compassionate man; turns out he was actually what we literary types call 'a git'. Damn.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I despair, this is the Top 10 Best Books Ever as voted by Goodreads members http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1.Best_Books_Ever

1 Twilight (Twilight, #1)
by Stephenie Meyer

2 The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
by Suzanne Collins

3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)
by J.K. Rowling

4 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
by J.K. Rowling

5 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)
by J.K. Rowling

6 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
by J.K. Rowling

7 Eclipse (Twilight, #3)
by Stephenie Meyer

8 Gone With the Wind
by Margaret Mitchell

9 Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4)
by Stephenie Meyer

10 The Giving Tree
by Shel Silverstein
You should look for a critics list. I think I found one list of critics top 100 and another of the website users a while back and L. Ron Hubbard's books were all top ten on the website users list!

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Good book as was "The Blind Watchmaker". His magnum opus "The Ancestor's Tale" is magnificent. It's a weighty tome, but it's wonderful. It's a walk down the evolutionary tree stopping for an evolution themed story at each common ancestor. Brilliant. He's a great biologist when he stays on message.
Some of the examples he used in the book are brilliant and really catch the imagination but I just found myself phasing out the odd time. Still really explains things to a layman like me with his wording and examples.

brad-dyrak

Phasing out is understandable given it's a big bastard of a book. I know I did as well. I'm looking forward to reading it again soon though I hope. Hopefully to get more of it to stick this time.

That's a whole issue unto itself. I've read a roomful of books, mostly non-fiction, but who can tell how much of it stays with you. After I'm done with one, I reckon most of it's already floated away, but then in a conversation a year later I'm plucking related fachts out of nowhere. I wish I could quantify it better. I've just read a Chemistry textbook, and have sworn I will come back to it in a year and take the exercises again, just to see if I've managed to stow any of it away.

forevrared

No problem, mate. Great to read that you're enjoying it. :)
Forgot to say, I finished American Tabloid and absolutely loved it. Have you read the other 2 books in the series? I've read mixed reviews and a lot said that they don't really live up to American Tabloid.

SteveJ

Scout
I think Tabloid's unsurpassable, mate. I was so interested in the three main characters that I didn't find the sequels to be quite as gripping. Still very much worth a read though. :)

forevrared

Do Ward Littell and Pete Bondurant return for the second book at least?

I love it when I don't see twists coming, but even with Littell's rise from the ashes coinciding with Kemper Boyd's fall from grace, I still didn't see Littell killing him. Brilliant bit. Kemper was a great character, but for me that added so much to the ending.