Books The BOOK thread

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Tolstoy's War and Peace. It took me a while but it is a good read.

He loses me when he starts to talk about formations and positions of attack. He also has the epilogue were he goes of on a complete tangent, but the main story was very enjoyable.

brad-dyrak

I'm ashamed to say that I put War and Peace down. I made it about 800 pages in, but it still hadn't grabbed me. It was an easy enough read, but I wasn't appreciating the greatness it's meant to have. I was more disappointed in myself than the book.

brad-dyrak

Just finished "Stoner". A novel about a small, sad life led by a from-nowhere fellow who teaches college English for his whole life. Well written and quite shattering in it's own way. It paints some of the most hateful portrayals of a couple of its characters.

I do recommend it, but Lord was it depressing.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I'm ashamed to say that I put War and Peace down. I made it about 800 pages in, but it still hadn't grabbed me. It was an easy enough read, but I wasn't appreciating the greatness it's meant to have. I was more disappointed in myself than the book.
I finished it but I think you exactly summed up my feelings on it. Same as Ulysses for me of which I've only read 100 pages. I just couldn't see the brilliance of the book and think it was purely down to myself.

PeteReDevil

iPete
Taking a break from fiction and started reading Ari Shavit's My Promised Land - The Triumph and Tragedy of Israel. Well written and quite an eye opener for me.

On the one hand, Israel is the only nation in the West that is occupying another people. On the other hand, Israel is the only nation in the West that is existentially threatened. Both occupation and intimidation make the Israeli condition unique. Intimidation and occupation have become the two pillars of our condition.

brad-dyrak

I loved Child 44 and went straight out and bought the sequels. I really enjoyed The Secret Speech but struggled with Agent 6. I should probably have read a few in between reading them. Sometimes I find reading them one after another isn't the best approach.

Reading Child 44 now. About half way through. Not bad, but honestly was hoping for bit more. Anyway, it's a fun read and I am enjoying it. If you liked it, you might like "Fatherland". Set in the contemporary world except the Germans won the war. Quite similar, but I seem to have gotten more out of that one. Anyway, too early to judge.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
New York by Edward Rutherford.

Fictional tale about the history of the city, told through the eyes of one family. It is a very good read, a long one though

celia

I'm reading The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. So many popular and recommanded fantasy series and I am reading a first and shiny new novel... The Emperor has been killed and we see what happens to his two sons and one daughter (one novice in an isolated monastery, one apprentice soldier hoping to succeed a kind of examination and one minister) It's easy to read at least, but slow, so I am hoping the end is good. If it isn't messed up, I am quite sure I will read the second book. It's out in one year.

Keenst

Finished the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy. Absolutely brilliant, deserves the hype.

Keenst

Recently finished Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor. I've seen it described as an epic and I don't think it's a bad description. Set mainly on board one of the infamous "coffin ships" that brought countless starving Irish immigrants to America during the famine, the narrative moves between describing events on the ship and the past of some of it's passengers, with stories often intertwining and slowly revealing a sinister plot. It's a tragic story at it's heart but it is not without plenty of humour. I thought it was incredibly clever and paints a vivid and devastating picture of just how tough life was at this time and how desperate many of these people were. While the characters and plot are fictional, an impressive amount of research has gone into making the novel leading to a realistic depiction of the events; it actually reads like an historical account of a factual story. O'Connor also litters the story with gorgeous prose.

Best book I've read in a long time.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Holy Hell: A Memoir of Faith, Devotion, and Pure Madness

Amma, universally known as "The Hugging Saint," went through a two-decade transformation from a simple fisherman's daughter to an international wonder worshiped by millions. Gail "Gayatri" Tredwell was there every step of the way—from early devotee to head female disciple, ever-present personal attendant, handmaiden, whipping post, and unwilling keeper of some devastating secrets. At age nineteen, when she was a happy-go-lucky, adventurous lass from Australia, Tredwell never imagined that she would soon be trading her free spirit and skimpy clothing for a life of submission in an ankle-length sari. Her eager decision to serve the young "saint" began with innocence and a pure desire to please her new guru. In time, the relationship transformed into virtual enslavement in which Tredwell was on call 24/7 and worked herself nearly to death in the hope of finding God. Because she became fluent in the Malayalam language and had continual intimate proximity to Amma for twenty years, Tredwell is uniquely capable of portraying this famous woman. She tells her tale with straightforward honesty, fairness, and a dash of Aussie snap and wit. Although the guru’s flaws are a necessary part of her story and awakening, she strives to be factual throughout, digging deep to eschew victim frameworks and take responsibility for her own role in accepting the abuse and perpetuating the lies. The book evokes the joys of early devotional life and vibrant images of rural India. Through Tredwell's eyes, we watch a modest and traditional ashram metastasize into a business-oriented, bustling, mega-international organization. We also see how such a dizzying rise created vast opportunity for abuse, deceit, and hypocrisy. Tredwell takes us vividly through her varying stages, starting with naïveté and innocent devotion, then on to dawning awareness and confusion, finally to emotional breakdown and her shocking "enlightenment"—her realization that the liberation she urgently required was is in fact liberation from her own guru. In a gradual yet determined struggle, she managed to untangle herself from the web of myth and indoctrination. Only then was she able to muster her battered but not quite broken spirit and plot her escape. Gail's flight to freedom—her victorious recovery from a life of abuse and disillusionment—displays extraordinary strength and inspiring courage.

The following is taken From this article.
In the book, Tredwell recounts her personal experience in the ashram, where she admits she was complicit in covering up all sorts of ashram secrets, in a misguided attempt to protect the guru’s misdeeds from public view (believing, as all guru cultists do, that the guru is God in human form and therefore exempt from human standards of right and wrong).

Tredwell’s riveting book recounts stories of donations intended for charity being converted into gold jewelry and hidden under the garments of Amma’s sanyasis (monks) as they passed through customs – then the gold being passed to Amma’s family to make them fabulously rich. Tredwell tells of being beaten, clawed, and bitten by Amma, who would succumb to fits of rage over small mistakes made by her attendants. Tredwell speaks of her discovery that, while claiming to be a lifelong celibate, Amma secretly had ongoing sexual affairs with several of her closest swamis (monks who have taken lifelong vows of celibacy). And she speaks of being raped herself, repeatedly, by one of these same swamis, and names him.

Tredwell was extensively quoted in an August 2012 “Rolling Stone” article on Amma regarding some of these allegations, although the book (and the worst of the allegations) only recently came out (now, in November, 2013, which is when I write this). “Rolling Stone” was able to corroborate the claim of physical abuse by Amma through the testimony of another one of Amma’s female attendants, who would not reveal her name except to the magazine.

Now, whether Tredwell’s searing expose makes a difference in bringing down this false spiritual empire depends very much on other victims boldly stepping forward and sharing their own stories. But the disciples are afraid of this guru, who, her biography alleges, has beings in the unseen who will retaliate against anyone who speaks out about the Divine Mother. This superstition makes it difficult for members struggling to break free from the cult to find the courage to speak the truth. Insiders report there is also genuine physical danger, for anyone living in India who speaks out.
Since the book came out, there has been a lot of noise from her camp about trying to taint the image of the whole organization, and so on. And some even accuse the author of trying to destroy/belittle the Hindu religion. Recently there was a video of her offering money to a local public servant to drop a case he filed against her organization.

I for one has always disliked these self proclaimed human gods. I never understood the people who worships them either. And for the love of god, don't come to India looking for peace and Nirvana. You sure wont get it. And your are most likely to be sexually assaulted by these perverts.

entropy

Just started reading The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. It is set in New Zealand during the 18th century during the gold rush period. We follow several characters who are puzzled by the a series of unexplained events that have recently taken place in their town which include the murder of a whore, sudden disappearance of a wealthy miner, gold discovery etc etc. So far, I have found it to be a good read even though the author goes to great lengths to focus on stuff that could easily be avoided. I find it refreshing to read a book where everything isn't so precise in terms of description,time period and people's motives. Also, it makes an interesting read to find out more about the banking,mining and shipping industry during the 18th century. The book is a long read though, hopefully I will finish it in time.

Water Melon

Nothing to be ashamed of. I read the original version in Russian, and still got a bit bored at times.

Has anyone on here read The Minds of Billy Milligan by Daniel Keyes? A very interesting book about a man who surffered from multiple personality disorder.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I finished The Hunchback of Notre Dame lastnight and I wasn't fully sure what to make of it. It took me ages to read and I just didnt enjoy it.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I just finished Mr. Putin: Operative in the Kremlin by Fiona Hill and Clifford Gaddy. I started reading it in, maybe, December before everything in Ukraine started kicking off out of interest in him and his notoriously corrupt government. It traces his experiences and influences from his childhood to 2012. It offers an insight into his actions over the past few months in Ukraine. Domestically, Putin is a case worker for the oligarchs and is able to maintain control of them because he knows their crimes, and even assisted them in many cases. If any of them steps out of line or into politics, like Boris Berezovsky or Mikhail Khodorkovsky, they are quickly stripped of everything and, if they haven't escaped to London, thrown in jail. He's a bit like Louis Renault in Casablanca shutting down Rick's for gambling.

The authors are two scholars of modern Russia at the Brookings Institute, one of most influential and well-regarded think tanks in the world.

Ivor Ballokov

Just finished reading Slaughterhouse 5 and really, really enjoyed it. It's a breeze to read, with some brilliant wit and equally brilliant moments of sombreness.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

Genius photographer, merciless diarist. A true artist in his field...which is why it's disappointing that he's so horrendous about friend and foe alike - as Wilde wrote, Beaton's kind "would stab his best friend for the sake of writing an epigram on his tombstone." Reading this, I wanted to shoot him and all his aristo chums.

Last edited:

ManUtd43vr

I am planning to read atleast 3-4 of the following books this summer.
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel García Márquez
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran
Siddharta - Hermann Hesse
Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse
Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl
Stephen King (which is his best one?)
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien

Anybody read any of these? Which of these would you suggest to pick up first?

celia

I read One Hundred Years of Solitude, I hated it, so I suppose it either "you love it or hate it". Maybe because I really like things to make sense and it isn't really what happens in this book. At least, you know fast if you like or not how the story flows. But I stupidly read it until the end because maybe I would have seen later what makes this book so popular.

The Book thief is a good reading, quite moving but without going really soapy.

For Stephen King, I don't see that often the same book said to be the best, so maybe in no special order : The Stand, IT, The Shining because these 3 come back a little more on the favourite SK titles than others.

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'm currently finishing up book one of 1Q84

My current book list for the summer;
The book thief
East of Eden
From the Corner of his Eye
Wizard and Glass from Stephen King's Dark Tower series
Norweigan Wood
Kafka on the Shore
Outliers

Aiming for at least 3 of those to be read.

One book which I'd highly recommend is The Fault in Our Stars, beautifully written one of my favourite reads.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

I have read Siddhartha. I guess you are reading the English version.

Its actually quite small and has quite simple and lucid language but at the same time is a brilliant brilliant book.

Last edited:

nemanja nemagic

Inspired by that thread on football/novel pastiches (genius) I have picked up One Hundred Years of Sol In Tube (Solitude lulz) and it is absolutely mesmerising, enthralling writing. Also bought Autumn of the Patriach by Marquez, can't wait to get started on that afterwards.

Has anyone read Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes? It explores what would happen if Hitler woke up in present day, apparently he becomes a viral sensation. Looking forward to beginning that too

Adebesi

Inspired by that thread on football/novel pastiches (genius) I have picked up One Hundred Years of Sol In Tube (Solitude lulz) and it is absolutely mesmerising, enthralling writing. Also bought Autumn of the Patriach by Marquez, can't wait to get started on that afterwards.
Havent read the other one you mention but if you like 100 Years then try Love In The Time of Cholera, which is also absolutely excellent.

nemanja nemagic

Havent read the other one you mention but if you like 100 Years then try Love In The Time of Cholera, which is also absolutely excellent.
Yeah I considered getting that, but the love story synopsis put me off a bit so I went for Patriach instead. Is it really that good? His prose is enchanting. The passage leading up to Arcadio's execution froze my blood, blocked out everything going on around me. Great stuff.

Adebesi

Yeah I considered getting that, but the love story synopsis put me off a bit so I went for Patriach instead. Is it really that good? His prose is enchanting. The passage leading up to Arcadio's execution froze my blood, blocked out everything going on around me. Great stuff.
They're the only two of his I've read so can't compare to others but theyre on a similar level. It is a love story but not in the usual sense. It's not Titanic, it won't have Meg Ryan in it when they make the film, that's for sure.

I prefer Solitude probably but I think it's because I read it first. Would be interested to hear how you get on with Patriarch.

thepolice123

Read The Road, Siddharta, Man's Search for Meaning and The Book Thief. All excellent, excellent reads. All of them are books that touches the soul and gives you a different perspective to life. I found Siddharta and Man's Search for Meaning to be particularly inspiring. The Book Thief might not be your kind of read if you're into a more matured material. I found it to be very touching though.

Steppenwolf puzzled and frustrated me because I couldn't understand it at all.

Hojoon

I read The Things They Carried. I think it's a very good book and easy to read, but too confusing at times.

Stanzin Lama

The Prophet is one of my favourite ever books. I couldn't quite fancy Steppenwolf though, although Siddharth was really nice. Just finished reading Thomas Picketty's Capital in Twenty First Century and Selected Readings from Prison Notebooks (Gramsci). The latter, except for ideas and references on Italy which I am not aware about is an astonishing read. To find such clarity of even small concepts in a man just gives an insight into the intellectual capacity of Gramsci.

Picketty's book was an interesting one as well. It is an evidence-based book which looks at the history of capitalism 4-5 Western countries for the past 200 years and talks about inequality. He mostly substantiates what we already know and challenges few established opinions. One can understand the huge uproar it might cause in America though, a country whose current development model he totally discredits. But in most cases, for me he strays on the safe side and says nothing controversial at all. Anyway, its a very extensive project and its highly commendable that the book has become popular now when economics is looking for theories other than neo-liberal economics.

Anyway, both books are highly recommended.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
About 3/4 way through Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch.

Perhaps not as good as The Secret History, but still pretty damn good.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That's a great book, as is his Berlin.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
I've gotten away from reading the past few years.. Recently trying to pick it up again.. Do a lot of historical and political reading although sometimes those books are too heavy for me. I'm currently reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and I am really enjoying it (although my friend told me not to read her other stuff)..I'm finding it an easy read yet heavily thought provoking.. Any recommendations for me?