The Casemiro/Mount/Bruno midfield

Malone_Post

Can anyone explain the logic behind it, and why it might work, because I am honestly struggling.

My concern when we signed Mount was we’d have to shoehorn him or Bruno into a deeper role that neither are comfortable in. We’d struggle to control games, as none of the three have that ability to sit back and calmly dictate games. And that Casemiro would end up isolated on his own as Bruno & Mount would end up way to high up. And everything we’ve seen so far in pre-season & the first 45 minutes today confirms those worries. Rather then a calm controlling midfield we have 3 headless chickens running around at 100mph and as a result have absolutely no control of games.

I just can’t see what ETH is thinking with this one?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Until this club prioritises midfield, which it never has we’ll never compete properly.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Think most here would go with the more traditional 2 deeper and 1 higher but ten Hag clearly has a different idea in mind and we just need to give it time to see.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Didn't take long did it :lol:

At least give them a few games to gel together? fecking hell

waza7111

He's trying to get more goals and assists into the team by bringing in Mount.

It could work but might take a while.

Leonzo1

If we can't control the ball against Wolves at home we won't be able to control it against any one. Vey worrying stuff so far. I deeply hope ETH knows what he's doing with this setup.

ForeverRed1

He's trying to get more goals and assists into the team by bringing in Mount.

It could work but might take a while.
The issue is we don’t have a while. The season has started and we’re going to get our ass kicked against top attacking teams.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Not a proper CM in the midfield partnering Casemiro and we are unable to control midfield? Oh no.. anyway

luke511

This was incredibly predictable, way too much work for Casemiro to do.

izec

Mount is positionally all over the place. No actions defensively, no offensively. He is just running around and not being where a midfielder should be.

This is unacceptable from Ten Hag

ScholesyTheWise

While I'm also one to be highly skeptical of this midfield trio, this thread is immature.

Anyway, for this formation to work you need your DM to be insanely good and play like 2-3 players in the way he covers ground and anticipates passes. Casemiro hasn't shown this level today, far from it, and we suffer as a result.

Plus,
Mount, Bruno, and the 3 attackers have to be brilliant at intercepting the ball close to the oppo's 16 yards box.
Mount is supposed to be amazing at it, I don't know, never watched him enough.

It'll only work if our front players will manage to press very well as a unit.
This will obviously take a lot of practice.

I expect many games at the beginning of the season where we'll look crap.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Casemiro is going to have to be more disciplined if this is going to work. Their players are charging through the centre of the pitch completely unchallenged.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Can anyone explain the logic behind it, and why it might work, because I am honestly struggling.

My concern when we signed Mount was we’d have to shoehorn him or Bruno into a deeper role that neither are comfortable in. We’d struggle to control games, as none of the three have that ability to sit back and calmly dictate games. And that Casemiro would end up isolated on his own as Bruno & Mount would end up way to high up. And everything we’ve seen so far in pre-season & the first 45 minutes today confirms those worries. Rather then a calm controlling midfield we have 3 headless chickens running around at 100mph and as a result have absolutely no control of games.

Relies on Casemiro being in it, which he is miles off at the moment.

zbcrow15

This game has shows that we need another midfielder. Casemiro doesn't have the quality to play as a lone deep lying playmaker so we need someone that can do that for this team. Mount needs to be a rotation piece for Bruno

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No point, you will only be told you are knee-jerking after one game.

Josep Dowling

The good Premier League teams now have a hardworking, pressing midfield. We don’t have that and are being exposed against one of the worst teams in the league.

saivet

I don't think it will work for a number of reasons.

The main issue is that there isn't a controlling midfielder in there to keep possession. If you don't dominate possession with two attacking no.8s you'll struggle in transition. High turnovers and a lack of control is a problematic recipe as Bruno and Mount aren't good defensively and it leaves Casemiro with too much to do.

Pressing high and winning the ball higher up the pitch is fine as long as we're winning it back regularly and keep hold of the ball when we have it.

A bit too chaotic of a trio in my opinion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The good Premier League teams now have a hardworking, pressing midfield. We don’t have that and are being exposed against one of the worst teams in the league.
Our midfielders are all more likely to have a decisive ‘moment’ than Wolves’, but their’s looks far more technical and comfortable in open play.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I've been against his signing from the start but I give it a few games before completely turning against it.

Malone_Post

Until this club prioritises midfield, which it never has we’ll never compete properly.
ETH has bought two of this midfield three at a cost of £125 million. This is his vision. It’s the midfield he wanted.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Mount is one of the most pointless signings we've ever made. The likes of Maguire, Antony, Lukaku etc. at least made sense positionally. This one doesn't whatsoever. Mount is at best a backup for Bruno.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
More likely we end up shifting one of them to the right wing, Mata style

Levi1

Looks like we'll be doing some headless chicken transfers in midfield again this year

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
ETH has bought two of this midfield three at a cost of £125 million. This is his vision. It’s the midfield he wanted.
Well I’m here to tell him it isn’t going to work at this level. He’ll find that out this season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I've been against his signing from the start but I give it a few games before completely turning against it.
Same. Too early to panic but if anyone was expecting something different then they are deluded. We didn't need a better Eriksen. We needed a totally different version of a midfielder.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
That is why the right manager matters. I have no idea why ETH would think mount is the type of player we need in our midfield. At Chelsea he played as a ram. It is like arteta with havertz. I do not understand what both eth and arteta are doing. We can see what Chelsea, Liverpool, Brighton, Newcastle and city are doing. We are the outliers in this group. But he may prove me wrong and mount does exceptional well in this 8 role.

Well he just got substituted as I wrote this:nervous:

waza7111

To play this kind of system you need 3 players who are very comfortable in possession and don't give the ball away - Something like 95% passing accuracy.

Without that it won't really work.

luke511

Bruno and Mount's positioning is shocking. There's acres of space behind them yet we insist on having 5 attackers push up as high as possible, leaving huge gaps on the counter.

daba

Should have thrown that Mount money at Wolves for Matheus Nunes

Blood Mage

Easily the worst midfield of any team chasing top four. Worrying if we persist with this.

Traub

This midfield trio is basically a FIFA midfield - pass to your fastest player and run right through!

fezzerUTD

Its clear ten hag doesnt rate fernandes and is biding his time before he removes him from the starting 11.