The centre-forward market...

dinostar77

Interesting with the news of us looking to offload Martial in the summer. Would mean us signing two strikers in the summer surely?
Depends on a number of factors;

1. Finding a buyer for martial and his ridiculous wages.
2. Whether ETH wants wout loan turned permanent as a cheap option off the bench.
3. Whether the striker we cant talk about comes back into the fold
4. Whether we get our main striker target this summer or the backup option.
5. Whether we qualify for CL.
6. Whether there is a full takeover of the club and if that frees up additional funds.

Strelok

Depends on a number of factors;

1. Finding a buyer for martial and his ridiculous wages.
2. Whether ETH wants wout loan turned permanent as a cheap option off the bench.
3. Whether the striker we cant talk about comes back into the fold
4. Whether we get our main striker target this summer or the backup option.
5. Whether we qualify for CL.
6. Whether there is a full takeover of the club and if that frees up additional funds.
Imo it's not that complicated. If Martial can't improve his fitness record imo we'll buy a new #9 regardless of all the above.
Next season ETH will aim for the title and no way he'd let his main #9 to be unavailable most of the time. We have Ronaldo off the books and that alone would allow us to afford two 250k a week strikers. The only thing might affect this is a potential take over in which case would put all transfers on hold until it's finished.

Ten Lasso

Would Rashford up top be a viable option long term? I'd be previously thought no chance but he's made such strides this season, and he looks a real threat when played up top. His goals against City and Leeds are perfect examples, a poachers effort and a brilliant header. And with his pace and ability to run in behind, it does force the opposition defence to drop back a further 10-15 yards as they're terrified of pushing up too far and allowing the space behind. It's not like we haven't got wide options with Sancho, Antony and Garnacho.

NLunited

Rashford is a good striker, but best when coming off the left. Definitely need another striker, even if we would play Rashford there a lot more often.

I‘d like us to try two up front sometime: we could line up 442 or 352: Rashford ls and Martial/new striker rs.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
The Atalanta striker for me is the guy. He has a bit of Zapata, Martial and Vardy in him.
Hojlund is my guy and the age/physique/aggression makes him the right one, to develop with the team.

mav_9me

The Atalanta striker for me is the guy. He has a bit of Zapata, Martial and Vardy in him.
Hojlund is my guy and the age/physique/aggression makes him the right one, to develop with the team.
Came here to post this. Watch his run at 2:10

Sparky Rhiwabon

We could be the main beneficiaries of a Man City fire sale if they get relegated for financial irregularities

KikiDaKats

Supports
Came here to post this. Watch his run at 2:10

That was impressive. Remember thinking what is this idiot doing but his acceleration just shocked the defenders.
I’m the wrong person to judge players on their finishing but I love a busy striker.

KikiDaKats

Supports
We could be the main beneficiaries of a Man City fire sale if they get relegated for financial irregularities
Who would you go for in this City? I’m basing this question on a criteria of age, energy levels and ability.

Big_Bro

Weghorst will score today and become everybody's sweetheart. Don't say I didn't tell you.

Skills

Snitch
Seriously?! Very average every time I watch him.
He's far from average. He's always been a big part of why Leicester have ever looked decent under Rodgers. It's just that Rodgers is a complete idiot.

He's actually the perfect foil, a CAM like Bruno and a wide forward like Rashford. He's brilliant at dropping into space and then finding runners off him. On top of that he'd a genuine threat in behind himself.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's far from average. He's always been a big part of why Leicester have ever looked decent under Rodgers. It's just that Rodgers is a complete idiot.

He's actually the perfect foil, a CAM like Bruno and a wide forward like Rashford. He's brilliant at dropping into space and then finding runners off him. On top of that he'd a genuine threat in behind himself.
Whatever about him as an option for us, it seems bizarre that Rodgers doesn't make better use of him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Considering the qualities EtH appears to rate in a center forward, based both on comments and players he has used there, I still think that both Kane and Felix would be a great fit.

Felix might be out of range, but Chelsea do not have an option on him. If they dont get CL-football, and Man Utd do, it would not be impossible.

redcucumber

He's levels below what we should be aspiring to, in my opinion.

RuudTom83

Spending 100 million on a CF will lock Rashford into the LW spot and block the paths for Sancho/Garnacho.

So personally I'd rather sign a CF who offers an alternative to Rashford but wont kick up a fuss if he is on the bench.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Spending 100 million on a CF will lock Rashford into the LW spot and block the paths for Sancho/Garnacho.

So personally I'd rather sign a CF who offers an alternative to Rashford but wont kick up a fuss if he is on the bench.
If Sancho is good enough a new centre forward won't stop him from fulfilling his potential. We're hardly blessed with attackers.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
I’m expecting someone to take a punt on Iheanacho at some point. He’s been criminally under-utilised by Leicester and he’s got a great goals / assist ratio per 90 mins.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
seems like some great options starting to open up. If we can’t get the bigger names he could be an under the radar option that often does well here

cpresc

I quite like the idea of Ollie Watkins - he’d just fit in well as a squad member and has a good press and can finish

Red-17

I quite like the idea of Ollie Watkins - he’d just fit in well as a squad member and has a good press and can finish
I doubt Villa would sell him for less than 40-50 million minimum though unless he is in his last year of contract which I don't think is the case. They also just offloaded Ings, so unless Dhuran turns into an absolute star as the number 9 over the next 3 months, I can't see them letting Watkins leave easily.

AnotherLondonManc

I'd maybe consider him on a free or a cut price on last year of contract.

But Villa paid £30m for him and he's contracted until 2027. Would cost far more than he's worth

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Iheanacho? Always rated him tbh
The funny thing is that Rodgers doesn't like to play him too often but he does well when given a chance. He plays well just ahead of Maddison but he is definitely not a lone striker.

Skills

Snitch
The funny thing is that Rodgers doesn't like to play him too often but he does well when given a chance. He plays well just ahead of Maddison but he is definitely not a lone striker.
I don't think its an issue here. The reason we're so much better with Martial is because he allows Rashford and Fernandes to take up positions up front.

A traditional CF I think would rob a chunk of Rashfords productivity, and we also give up on Bruno ever going back to being a 20 goal player. I think Iheanacho is a great fit for us.

UDontMessWith24

Given what Weghorst is being asked to do, Ivan Toney would be an absolutely perfect fit at half the cost of Harry Kane. Kane is obviously better, but we’d still have a productive striker in Toney with more money left over to make another midfield signing.

croadyman

Given what Weghorst is being asked to do, Ivan Toney would be an absolutely perfect fit at half the cost of Harry Kane. Kane is obviously better, but we’d still have a productive striker in Toney with more money left over to make another midfield signing.
Fully hinges on whether he gets punished,that's why you aren't hearing any links to any top six teams in my opinion

Bwuk

I’d be seriously tempted to play Rashford upfront until the end of the season, and then review this.

If Rashford can cement himself as the #9 we could use the money elsewhere.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Rashford has to prove he can actually be consistently good up front before we start talking about him playing that role fulltime. He's been quite good the last few months when moving into that position late on against tired defenders, but for most of the last few years he's been terrible at striker. Obviously he has worked on his game and has improved in that role, but there are still huge question marks over him there.

MadMike

If Sancho is good enough a new centre forward won't stop him from fulfilling his potential. We're hardly blessed with attackers.
We're blessed with plenty of good attackers actually, just not with central strikers.

Rashford, Antony, Garnacho, Sancho... Amad who's tearing up the Championship. Move Rashford centrally next year and we still have the latter 4 competing for 2 spaces.

I'm not saying it's necessarily the best thing to do, maybe buying a proven central striker will be better. But we have more quality and depth from the wings than most teams can boast, even without Rashford. With him, we're better bar none. Which is why we are 3rd despite playing without a striker all season.