The centre-forward market...

croadyman

Whatever happens with Rashford still want us to bring in a Kane/Osimhen type too

Donut

Šeško has been dropped from the Salzburg squad for the last weekend’s game. He is not a guaranteed world class forward, far from it.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Kane would suit our style on the ball the most but Toney would be fun to watch in a United shirt...if hes allowed to play football next season

avgp_1

Šeško has been dropped from the Salzburg squad for the last weekend’s game. He is not a guaranteed world class forward, far from it.
Been saying that from a while, he looked incredibly raw in the CL games. Højlund is the striker we think Šeško might be

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They've mentioned it on the Athletic podcast about Utd, Talk of the Devils, I think it's Carl Anka who's asked this to Ten Hag before - why doesn't Rashford start up front considering the impact he has up there. And ETH has explained that part of that impact is from the opposing defences getting used to something (Wout's style of play) and then having to switch to something entirely different. He believes very much that the 90 minutes aren't linear and that there is a way to handle it in parts.

What he did on Sunday, with the changes, effectively pushing Sabitzer to a right back position in possession, with Dalot more central, and Wout behind Rash, was excellent game management and doesn't amount to him having fecked up on the starting line-up as some have suggested, but understood perfectly well what challenge this game would pose, and come up with a plan to effectively handle it.

It was one of our ugliest games under him, but I would say one of the strongest indictements of the work he's been doing over the past months.
In this logic, it would have been better not to sign Osimhen but instead sign Kane or Ramos as those two are closer to Weghorst if we compare it to Osimhen.

If we use the above logic as our plan B or tactical switch in the middle of the game then signing Kane or Ramos will allow us to drop either Kane or Ramos as No 10 and move Rashford as no 9.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
In this logic, it would have been better not to sign Osimhen but instead sign Kane or Ramos as those two are closer to Weghorst if we compare it to Osimhen.

If we use the above logic as our plan B or tactical switch in the middle of the game then signing Kane or Ramos will allow us to drop either Kane or Ramos as No 10 and move Rashford as no 9.
This is what will naturally happen anyway.
Kane drops deep to create chances and Rashford’s making runs in behind to play as a CF from angles.

The Wout Weghorst tactic was amazing but is the most ultimate version of this - where the striker played and stuck to CAM positions and Rashford started in the central ST position whilst they bought in another inverted forward to take chances in Garanacho.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is what will naturally happen anyway.
Kane drops deep to create chances and Rashford’s making runs in behind to play as a CF from angles.

The Wout Weghorst tactic was amazing but is the most ultimate version of this - where the striker played and stuck to CAM positions and Rashford started in the central ST position whilst they bought in another inverted forward to take chances in Garanacho.
It's not what will naturally happen because tactic is not just one dimension like that.

Another different tactic is manager can use Osimhen to stretch the defenders with his movement and pace which will open space for Rashford to run into the open space.

It depends on how the manager wants to set it up.

Bebestation

It's not what will naturally happen because tactic is not just one dimension like that.

Another different tactic is manager can use Osimhen to stretch the defenders with his movement and pace which will open space for Rashford to run into the open space.

It depends on how the manager wants to set it up.
It’s a bit harder because teams do tend to sit back against us - so Osihmen making runs in behind isn’t going to stretch the team that much in my opinion but I might be wrong.

I just think Rashford playing centrally can also stretch the back line just as much by making runs for someone like Garanacho if that theory is correct.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s a bit harder because teams do tend to sit back against us - so Osihmen making runs in behind isn’t going to stretch the team that much in my opinion but I might be wrong.

I just think Rashford playing centrally can also stretch the back line just as much by making runs for someone like Garanacho if that theory is correct.
To stretch defenders, players don't have to only run in behind. Players can still stretch the defender by dropping deep or moving wide.

Bebestation

To stretch defenders, players don't have to only run in behind. Players can still stretch the defender by dropping deep or moving wide.
And I think Kane is better at dropping deep and making passes that’s all.

Ive not seen that to be much of Osimhen’s game but again I could be wrong.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

That's if you believe that what Ten Hag is currently doing is his ideal scenario, or his only one. If we get Osimhen, he'll just come up with other alternatives, I think.

Pass and Move

The CF market really is dry right now. Apart from Haaland and Mbappe who, A lot of overpriced options are unobtainable, there's nobody that stands out particularly as someone I'd be desperate for us to sign. Just a lot of overpriced 15 goal a season type players.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
And I think Kane is better at dropping deep and making passes that’s all.

Ive not seen that to be much of Osimhen’s game but again I could be wrong.
Like I said before there are lot of ways to stretch defenders. Tactic isn‘t just one dimensional.

Resch

Mentally, he already left Salzburg months ago after signing for Leipzig. Players, who are not 100% at the club, should not play. Salzburg will offer playing time to players still committed.

cpresc

I think the big difference between the two is that [1] Kane is tried and tested in the Premiership and will almost guarantee more goals while Osimhen would be a gamble and [2] Kane would drop deep to link up play and that would help us much more when it comes to low block teams parking the bus - he'd be more intricate with Rashford, Bruno, Garnacho all making crafty runs inside.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He’s nowhere near PL level at the moment let alone a starter at a top four club.

I’d love him as a low risk squad option for £20 million, but not at the £60 million he’d likely cost.

Dominos

I think the big difference between the two is that [1] Kane is tried and tested in the Premiership and will almost guarantee more goals while Osimhen would be a gamble and [2] Kane would drop deep to link up play and that would help us much more when it comes to low block teams parking the bus - he'd be more intricate with Rashford, Bruno, Garnacho all making crafty runs inside.
The other way to look at it is he'd be dropping deep into Bruno's space so we'd constantly have 2 players trying to occupy the same area.

fps

The CF market really is dry right now. Apart from Haaland and Mbappe who, A lot of overpriced options are unobtainable, there's nobody that stands out particularly as someone I'd be desperate for us to sign. Just a lot of overpriced 15 goal a season type players.
Is Mbappe a CF even? Is that where his long-term position lies?

mariko48

IMO we should sign Kane. Put him in deeper position as playmaker and play Rashford in a similar role with Son. That way we can get the most out of Rashford.

Bebestation

The other way to look at it is he'd be dropping deep into Bruno's space so we'd constantly have 2 players trying to occupy the same area.
Didn’t really have much issue with Delle Alli behind him tbh.

Dominos

Didn’t really have much issue with Delle Alli behind him tbh.
His game was different then, he could still run, still threatened in behind and played up against the centre backs. For the last 2 and a half years he's dropping deeper and deeper.

Bruno is also much more of a player we rely on to be our creative passer compared to Dele. Bruno's game probably favours a player who's runs he can pick out, rather than someone dropping deep to join him in his space.

Kane is a weird case because he's past his physical prime but still in his prime as a player due to his quality and adaptation in his game.

Bebestation

His game was different then, he could still run, still threatened in behind and played up against the centre backs. For the last 2 and a half years he's dropping deeper and deeper.

Bruno is also much more of a player we rely on to be our creative passer compared to Dele. Bruno's game probably favours a player who's runs he can pick out, rather than someone dropping deep to join him in his space.

Kane is a weird case because he's past his physical prime but still in his prime as a player due to his quality and adaptation in his game.
Also Bruno is one of our most significant pressers. When he is moving all round the place kane can drop deep and takee his spot imo.

dinostar77

I wouldnt want him personally, but i could see the qatari's buying neymar as a statement signing. Then again same could be said of chelsea owner.

RedorDead21

Kane is very technical. He's suitable also as he drops deep too. That's why ETH likes Martial so much.
Daniel Levy would be mad to sell his best player to a direct rival.
There's 7 teams going for Top 4 now and Spurs have a stadium to pay off, but if Kane is in last year of contract, maybe Levy has no choice.

I always felt with Kane that his form would fall off a cliff like other strikers but now I don't think it'll happen.
He gets very few injuries, looks after himself, isn't reliant on pace. I think it's his intelligence which sets him apart from everyone else.
And maybe we’d be mad to buy him this year when we could buy someone else…then wait…and have both (incase one doesn’t work out).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In reality I think both Kane and Osimhen would require individual players and the team generally to adapt to their playstyle, but I wouldn't be particularly concerned in either case as I think that adaptation is the sort of thing ETH can manage well as he's quite pragmatic in terms of how the team functions. We can make either work, I think.

It's more a question of which strengths you want the team to adapt around. Basically you buy what you need and work with the team from there so it gives you what you want.

bosskeano

look at how much the playing style of City have changed with the addition of Haaland by having a normal CF who likes to play thru the middle....

do we really want that or still with the mobile forwards that are more difficult to track and follow

Valencia Shin Crosses

Agree. Infact Id sign him and someone like Sesko
I've said this would be my plan for a while. You'd probably get better value signing those two and then building out the depth of our midfield than just spunking a huge 100m+ fee on Kane or Osimhen when neither is a perfect fit for different reasons. Doubt it happens though.

Valencia Shin Crosses

look at how much the playing style of City have changed with the addition of Haaland by having a normal CF who likes to play thru the middle....

do we really want that or still with the mobile forwards that are more difficult to track and follow
City's problem with Haaland is that they are ingrained to value possession > direct chance creation, so unless it's KDB they don't really feed him early when he makes those thundering runs beyond a backline. Add in that they don't have the same dynamite wingers they had in past years to give them a direct 1v1 threat, and much of their chance creation is stuff that doesn't suit Haaland as much as it could. Ironically he'd suit our team better as we prefer playing on the break much more and have a more direct style.

I normally defer to mobile forwards that can offer versatility and technique (basically Martial from 19/20 before he became a crock), but there isn't really any good options on the market that fit the bill especially with Nkunku already heading to Chelsea.

croadyman

I've said this would be my plan for a while. You'd probably get better value signing those two and then building out the depth of our midfield than just spunking a huge 100m+ fee on Kane or Osimhen when neither is a perfect fit for different reasons. Doubt it happens though.
Until we know whether Toney is gonna be banned then our interest will be cooled

Mas Risky

IMO we should sign Kane. Put him in deeper position as playmaker and play Rashford in a similar role with Son. That way we can get the most out of Rashford.
Yeah, this. No dilly-dallying in the summer to find "potential" players. Harry Kane is a guaranteed top player. Even at his worst, he is still involved in the game with his movement and assists. The burden of playmaking shouldn't fall solely on Bruno.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.

I would say he could play a critical role in our team until his mid 30's. The man will always be a finisher and his said adaptation will keep him at the top for longer. So we should get a younger cfwd if we also get Kane as a priority.