The centre-forward market...

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The decision on which striker to sign and how much to commit to that signing will be a difficult one considering our financial position and the team's needs. I don't think its a easy as ETH saying I like this striker and will spend a fortune on him no matter what.

We need a striker, a couple of midfielders, a rightback and, possibly, a goalkeeper. I have left out the back up CB because I feel that we could either keep Maguire or use funds from his sale to fund the signing of his replacement. So suppose a Goncalo Ramos costs £80m whilst the top two choices are over £100m - that's an at least £30m diffenrece that could fund the acquisition of a back up DM, for example.

I have seen posters say Martial will be difficult to shift on his wages and that factor will also play into the decision unless of course if Napoli/Spurs could a accept him in a part exchange. Don't see why they would though. But ETH likes him so there's a chance that he will buy a younger project striker to come in as a starter but who is not yet established such that Martial will rotate in when fit. That's why I think that if we can agree on a reasonable fee for Ramos or RKM then that's who we will go for especially if the fees are below £80m.
I think thats the most likely scenario when you consider our dire needs in multiple positions -- unless we stumble into a lot of cash suddenly.
The minimum spend to fix most of this season's issues will be another 200m budget.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The decision on which striker to sign and how much to commit to that signing will be a difficult one considering our financial position and the team's needs. I don't think its a easy as ETH saying I like this striker and will spend a fortune on him no matter what.

We need a striker, a couple of midfielders, a rightback and, possibly, a goalkeeper. I have left out the back up CB because I feel that we could either keep Maguire or use funds from his sale to fund the signing of his replacement. So suppose a Goncalo Ramos costs £80m whilst the top two choices are over £100m - that's an at least £30m diffenrece that could fund the acquisition of a back up DM, for example.

I have seen posters say Martial will be difficult to shift on his wages and that factor will also play into the decision unless of course if Napoli/Spurs could a accept him in a part exchange. Don't see why they would though. But ETH likes him so there's a chance that he will buy a younger project striker to come in as a starter but who is not yet established such that Martial will rotate in when fit. That's why I think that if we can agree on a reasonable fee for Ramos or RKM then that's who we will go for especially if the fees are below £80m.
I would honestly rather sign another loanee for a season, someone better than Weghorst but not top tier that would come cheap and get our first choice targets in other positions. I think our mistake over the years has been going for players who were barely good enough but were available and willing to come here. We should go strictly for our top targets only.

Hughie77

Utd go in for Ferguson the price goes up by £10m at least. There's options on the Striker front, 1 is needed if Greenwood comes back into the fold. And if that happens I can see them going for Kane..

RuudTom83

The squad is a bit muddy with attacking options currently…

You have the young or under-performing group, then the older or injury prone group…and then Rashford and Bruno.

It will be really interesting to see how EtH intends to balance the attack in the summer.

Do you blow the entire budget on a top CF or do you shuffle the current players around and buy a cheaper option.

*Sadly the Greenwood issue needs addressing in the summer one way or the other.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Given that outside of Kane just about any CF is a 'risk', I'd hope we try and buy a few promising/potential ones that have the right characteristics, rather than splash big money on a Ferguson who has played what, 10 games at senior level? That's insanity imo.

I cannot believe there aren't some pretty talented forwards across Europe that aren't making headlines we could be in for that have some physicality, pace and pressing ability. Players more in the Firminho mold, back when he was signed.

AneRu

I think thats the most likely scenario when you consider our dire needs in multiple positions -- unless we stumble into a lot of cash suddenly.
The minimum spend to fix most of this season's issues will be another 200m budget.
I am thinking more like £300m will be needed coming down to £220m net spend. Unless we do our scouting extremely well we are looking at a £180m bill for the striker and CM that we desperately need, £40m for a CB upgrade, £30m on a RB or maybe we will spend £50m on Timber to play as RB and cover for the CB and then you are looking at the goalkeeper situation -DDG is a legend but he is a walking press trigger. We also need reliable cover for Casemiro.

The only players we can sell for above £20m are Maguire, Henderson and McTominay. Its a monumental but necessary task, there is an opening at the top which Arsenal have capitalized on, with City and Liverpool in transition. Soon Newcastle will solidify themselves in the top three, Chelsea could stumble on a goalscorer and good manager in the summer and our window of opportunity would have closed. So we need to strengthen especially in those positions that make us vulnerable against the press.
I would honestly rather sign another loanee for a season, someone better than Weghorst but not top tier that would come cheap and get our first choice targets in other positions. I think our mistake over the years has been going for players who were barely good enough but were available and willing to come here. We should go strictly for our top targets only.
I don't think next season will be the time to half arse ourselves on this problem. A decision and action on that decision is needed. We finally have a chance to catch up on the likes of City abd at least keep pace with the likes of Newcastle. If we go into next season with more glaring weaknesses then that window of opportunity gets closed and we could be left behind for a long time.

We need at least three big signings to address our goalscoring and vulnerability to the press issues.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Given that outside of Kane just about any CF is a 'risk', I'd hope we try and buy a few promising/potential ones that have the right characteristics, rather than splash big money on a Ferguson who has played what, 10 games at senior level? That's insanity imo.

I cannot believe there aren't some pretty talented forwards across Europe that aren't making headlines we could be in for that have some physicality, pace and pressing ability. Players more in the Firminho mold, back when he was signed.
Definitely, and Kane is also a big risk. Age and durability. He has played so much football lately.

It is not easy to buy a striker. Just look at Chelsea. Lukaku, Werner and Morata all busted.

I think Oshimen is the lowest risk signing — but I am far from convinced that he can be had. Lazio got a good shot the CL this and next season — if they can keep the team together.

Vlahovic is the one that scares me the most, but I don’t think we would be in on him with ETH here.

I have to be honest, I am not against him per se, but Ferguson also scares me. He is a good player, smart, big and fairly skilled. But — what is his potential? He is not a very energetic player. Doesn’t play with a lot of emotions. Not a monster in the air. Not an elite threat speed wise. Not a standout when pressing. I am a bit undecided on him. How good is he really?

Højlund definitely don’t have elite technique yet, but the speed and attitude is there. All comes down to the price with him. Could be a recipe for disaster if he comes in with a big price tag. But long term it’s hard to not see him work out as at least a back-up striker.

Sesko is an elite talent. Sure he is still raw, but I think he is the biggest talent out there, only rivaled by perhaps Endrick.

Ivan Toney probably make more sense that he is credited with at this point. He is a ridiculously good finisher, good in the air, good on the counter attack, can be nifty in the linkup play. But it’s probably there I also think he got the most adjusting to do. Right now Mbuemo — who also has been fantastic for Brentford — and Toney just go at it and feed of each other. But how well would Toney work in a more structured environment?

Beachryan

Ivan Toney probably make more sense that he is credited with at this point. He is a ridiculously good finisher, good in the air, good on the counter attack, can be nifty in the linkup play. But it’s probably there I also think he got the most adjusting to do. Right now Mbuemo — who also has been fantastic for Brentford — and Toney just go at it and feed of each other. But how well would Toney work in a more structured environment?
Toney would have been a really good shout, but let's see how long he's suspended for first.

croadyman

Ideally we sign a striker who can get involved with buildup but also pace in behind, however who out there fits that criteria and obtainable this summer

gajender

Ideally we sign a striker who can get involved with buildup but also pace in behind, however who out there fits that criteria and obtainable this summer
Randal kolo muani could be the answer but might have to pay over the odds for him as well.

Mwooyo

Rasmus hojlund. To me he is a much better bet in comparison to even harland. Harland is big, fast, great finisher but doesnt have great link play. Harlands foot work leaves alot to be desired. Rasmus on the other hand has all of features. He is big, fast, good finisher and has great feet and great link up play. Its a no brainer for me, we should take rasmus over even evan ferguson. Kane, Goncalo ramos and osihmen are too expensive to justify their signing. Kane in particular is slowing down and more or less doing the bruno role. We need rasmus

cpresc

Something I don’t hear hardly at all on here is any concern about Osimhen‘s achievement with Napoli this season - they’re going to win Serie A for the first time in I think 30 odd years and he’s going to become an absolute legend there. How hungry will he be after this season to come straight in and humbly work his socks off. Kane on the other hand must surely be desperate for silverware now. Him plus Fergusson does feel like a massive squad upgrade.

Personally, I’d be shooting higher and going all out for Mbappe with new ownership money. Not sure why most fans here are lacking that ambition. We’re the biggest club in the world.

cpresc

i think Fergusson will end up at Newcastle for mega money. Seems like an Eddie Howe signing and they can afford to splash the cash on lower tier players

Drizzle

Kane on the other hand must surely be desperate for silverware now. Him plus Fergusson does feel like a massive squad upgrade.
There is zero chance we get Kane and Ferguson. Pick one. At best we get one expensive striker and a cheap backup.
Personally, I’d be shooting higher and going all out for Mbappe with new ownership money. Not sure why most fans here are lacking that ambition. We’re the biggest club in the world.
There are FFP rules so we can't just spend £250m on Mbappe and also cover other positions in the squad. Even if it's actually possible to get PSG to sell.

croadyman

Rasmus hojlund. To me he is a much better bet in comparison to even harland. Harland is big, fast, great finisher but doesnt have great link play. Harlands foot work leaves alot to be desired. Rasmus on the other hand has all of features. He is big, fast, good finisher and has great feet and great link up play. Its a no brainer for me, we should take rasmus over even evan ferguson. Kane, Goncalo ramos and osihmen are too expensive to justify their signing. Kane in particular is slowing down and more or less doing the bruno role. We need rasmus
Still think Utd see him in that potential tier right now and we want someone either in first (Kane/Osimhen) or middle tier (Ramos/Kolo-Muani/Vlahovic) but could be wrong

MalaysianRed7

Feels like supply is finally matching demand for the first time in an eternity. My ranking based on who I would most like us to sign:

1) Osimhen
2) Kane
3) Ferguson
4) Hojlund
5) Ramos
6) Watkins
7) Kolo Muani

Ivan Toney would have been nice and high up this list, but the looming suspension makes that transfer far too risky.

croadyman

Feels like supply is finally matching demand for the first time in an eternity. My ranking based on who I would most like us to sign:

1) Osimhen
2) Kane
3) Ferguson
4) Hojlund
5) Ramos
6) Watkins
7) Kolo Muani

Ivan Toney would have been nice and high up this list, but the looming suspension makes that transfer far too risky.
Kolo-Muani would push up to maybe 4th and Hojlund to 3rd. Still unsure about this Ramos despite his hattrick. Totally agree that Toney isn't on list for that exact reason

croadyman

1) Osimhen
2) Kane
3) Ferguson
4) Hojlund
5) Ramos
6) Watkins
7) Kolo Muani

What is making you put Osimhen 1st then,would it be you feel age and pace is a better fit than Kane's build up and play

MalaysianRed7

What is making you put Osimhen 1st then,would it be you feel age and pace is a better fit than Kane's build up and play
Age yes, and the fact that we have multiple quality creative outlets in Eriksen and Bruno already. We need a cold blooded finisher, someone like Osimhen (only player to score more goals than Rashford in 2023), rather than a player like Kane who drops deep very often.

At the same time though, Kane might just be doing it because of how poor his teammates at Spurs are.

skc_18

1) Osimhen
2) Kane
3) Ferguson
4) Hojlund
5) Ramos
6) Watkins
7) Kolo Muani

Everyone in the above list seems to be an expensive investment.
Given our centre-forward situation this season I am certain that if we have a quick and decent finisher we would be doing well. Although would not mind a all-round centre forward, given our current options in midfield and wings we dont need centre-forward to contribute from midfield /build-up from back etc. We just need one who is decent finisher but also very quick feet who can be avaiable for quick releases from our wingers.

Is Vlahovic not an option for us ? Should be inexpensive( thinking 60-80) considering his form & Juventus troubles. Would prefer a player who is playing average/decent and has potential rather buying players having a blinder season.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Think I'd go for Kudus. I really like his versatility

LW - Sancho Garnacho Rashford
RW - Antony Kudus
ST - Martial, Kudus, Rashford

ClassOf'99

1) Osimhen
2) Kane
3) Ferguson
4) Hojlund
5) Ramos
6) Watkins
7) Kolo Muani

For me it would either be:

Osimhen or

Kane with either Ferguson/Hojlund

Also agree with the bolded

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Mate he scored against bloody Waalwijk, calm down
Also against Lazio, Ajax and whomever we played the last 7 games. He hadnt scored against RKC yet when I posted this.

Lastly, I said quote me in 3 years, you're 2 years 364 days 23 hours and 24 minutes early.

Kingslayer18

We have got multiple needs other than ST, so plunging for a large part of our budget on Kane isn't going to get us the title. I would prefer we build out the squad and ensure the glaring holes at CM, RB and GK are addressed. Add a back-up CB if Maguire or Lindelof leaves and a younger DM, you can see this still needs some smart recruiting. As long as the fee comes in below 80m, I wouldn't be against getting a striker among RKM/Leao/Ramos and getting in a younger ST such as Joao Pedro of Watford, who can also play multiple roles in attack as well.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

We have got multiple needs other than ST, so plunging for a large part of our budget on Kane isn't going to get us the title. I would prefer we build out the squad and ensure the glaring holes at CM, RB and GK are addressed. Add a back-up CB if Maguire or Lindelof leaves and a younger DM, you can see this still needs some smart recruiting. As long as the fee comes in below 80m, I wouldn't be against getting a striker among RKM/Leao/Ramos and getting in a younger ST such as Joao Pedro of Watford, who can also play multiple roles in attack as well.
I understand what you're saying but:

1. (I'm sure most of us would agree) Striker is our biggest priority this summer so should demand the most attention. We simply can't have yet more seasons having to lean on the talented but unreliable Martial or the disgraced Greenwood.
2. I can't see Benfica accepting less than £80m for Ramos after the season he is having especially after they have just fleeced Chelsea for £100m+ . They aren't mugs in the transfer market and usually get a good fee. Leao is interesting as he is running into the last year of his contract. However if he signs a new deal then there's no way he'd come in at under £80m and even if he doesn't I still think they'll be asking for a figure in that ball park.
3. How much do you think Joao Pedro will cost? He has a contact until 2028. Transfermarkt has his value estimated at €24m. Because of the length of the contract I think Watford would ask for anywhere between £30-45m.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Definitely, and Kane is also a big risk. Age and durability. He has played so much football lately.

It is not easy to buy a striker. Just look at Chelsea. Lukaku, Werner and Morata all busted.

I think Oshimen is the lowest risk signing — but I am far from convinced that he can be had. Lazio got a good shot the CL this and next season — if they can keep the team together.

Vlahovic is the one that scares me the most, but I don’t think we would be in on him with ETH here.

I have to be honest, I am not against him per se, but Ferguson also scares me. He is a good player, smart, big and fairly skilled. But — what is his potential? He is not a very energetic player. Doesn’t play with a lot of emotions. Not a monster in the air. Not an elite threat speed wise. Not a standout when pressing. I am a bit undecided on him. How good is he really?

Højlund definitely don’t have elite technique yet, but the speed and attitude is there. All comes down to the price with him. Could be a recipe for disaster if he comes in with a big price tag. But long term it’s hard to not see him work out as at least a back-up striker.

Sesko is an elite talent. Sure he is still raw, but I think he is the biggest talent out there, only rivaled by perhaps Endrick.

I've long thought that Toney and Sesko would be a masterstroke of two signings at the position that would cost the price of one Kane or Osimhen. As has been said, there's no perfect prospect to chase in the market currently even at the high end and we need depth there as well. Toney would be great for us I think and would give us breathing room in the budget to sign another bright prospect that wouldn't mind being the understudy. Problem is the whole gambling saga with Toney, clubs won't want to take that risk until they know what the outcome is.

Redbandito

I think you make a good point about squad depth, but I think it’s overstating things to say we have glaring holes at GK and RB. We could upgrade those two positions to be certain, but neither are glaring holes imo. A starting 8 and depth at 6 behind Casemiro are both major needs. An elite CF is also an absolute must and arguably the highest priority this summer. Depth at CB, GK and RB, in that order, are less important by a good margin imo. AWB is capable of playing winning football for a contending side. He lacks elite service, but he has contributed to possession and link up play in the final 3rd since his return from injury this season. Dalot could be sold, but he provides quality squad depth imo. If he wants to stay and compete, I would be fairly content with RB this summer, given how pressing our other needs are. De Gea has well known weaknesses with his feet and coming off his line to snagcrosses, but he still provides spectacular moments in goal and keeps us in games. We could upgrade there, but it’s not a given that any of the guys do that that I’m seeing mentioned. CB should be upgraded. Maguire and Lindelof simply aren’t good enough. If we can upgrade Maguire, I’d be content with Lindelof as a 4th option. But given what we’ve seen this season, I believe two CM’s are the priority along with CF.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just a rumour, not say where this has originated from but allegedly Patrick Bamford had been spoken about behind the scenes as someone who can hold the ball up and make things happen with link up play, for a more realistic price. As alternate to Wout. Watch this space

lex talionis

I hear you, but let's think about our realistic goals for next season. If we think even if we brought in Kane and a central midfielder to partner with Casemiro and Bruno that we'd still be short of what's required to compete with City and Arsenal for the PL trophy then of course we go with the striker-in-development option in order to free up funds to strengthen our "multiple needs" so that we can compete two seasons from now.

But if I'm reading your post correctly, you would want the CM, RB and GK positions upgraded first and then ST position "as well".

With all due respect, I question your priorities.

We do not have a proven striker. This is fact, even if you believe Martial will return to his glorious form from 3 seasons ago. I'm not going to go into a Martial tirade right here but it is not disputable that by far by the biggest hole in the squad is the striker position.

I would upgrade the CM position as well, but not at the expense of a prem-proven striker. Unless your name is Haaland or Van Nistelrooy, it's incredibly difficult to come from another league and be instantly productive at the CF position. We know the reasons why.

An upgrade on the RB position is not a higher priority than bringing in a proper striker.

There's been a lot of talk about upgrading on De Gea. Whatever one thinks about that, it's simply not a higher priority than bringing in a proper striker.

A backup CB and a younger DM (we actually have one who looks very promising) are important add-ons for depth, but neither will address our woefulness on goal, which by far away is our most serious glaring deficiency. Sure, we beat Everton 2-0 over the weekend, but we should have been out of sight by the 35 minute and would have been had we had a proven striker like Kane who puts away half-chances for fun.

If Levy demands 150m and is willing to risk losing Kane on a free transfer the following season then there's nothing we can do about that and we move on. If Kane wants to remain at Spurs and remain trophyless for an entire career then we're done. But if there is a deal to be had -- and by June (when the summer transfer window opens) we will have a new owner whoever that owner will be will not want to pinch pennies to going for a RB or a backup CB and pass up a proven world class striker like Kane.

Primex

I just hope no matter who we sign, sesko will be added as backup,dude is made for the top.

Bojan Djordjic

I think striker is the one position you absolutely need an elite player if you really want to compete for the league so its justified that you spend a disproportionate fee in that area and its especially pertinent for us when we have such paltry options at number 9.

sillwuka

Anyone who has watched Ferguson play, can you compare him to a striker he's most similar to?

I've heard good things but I don't watch Brighton.

Cathy Ferguson

Just a rumour, not say where this has originated from but allegedly Patrick Bamford had been spoken about behind the scenes as someone who can hold the ball up and make things happen with link up play, for a more realistic price. As alternate to Wout. Watch this space
As our backup striker or our new no 9? Decent player, but if we can't afford Kane or Osimhen then Toney should be our target unless he gets a 6 month ban.

Beachryan

Classy player who has been ruined by injuries. He doesn't even look good enough for Leeds anymore. Pity, has a lovely touch but don't think he'd ever be good enough for what we need, plus will miss swathes of the season due to injury. Don't need another of those strikers!