The centre-forward market...

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd prefer Sesko other other options, Ramos we've seen one game of his at the WC, I think Sesko has better potential and he's more of a typical striker.

CM

Vlahovic would rank quite highly for me. No idea how gettable he would be, especially in January, but I would hope we might be able to exploit Juve's financial situation at some point.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Osimhen looks a good one, and still young enough to improve further. No idea what he would cost though.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
So now Chelsea will be in the market for a striker too with Armando Borja out for the season…

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can’t really think of any gettable strikers in January… especially cheap ones. Might have to see if we can loan an alright striker until the summer when we can spend big.

Pronewbie

Peep
We should go for a cheap deal in January. Still believe that we'd be able to score tons of deals in the Summer because of the economy and decline in the appeal of football clubs. We should be able to still finish within the top 4 with someone like Depay competing with Martial.

Onerealunited

It is so much a no brained not to go for Thuram. His contract ends in 6 months, so would be cheaper to get. Then he could stay and fight with Martial after summer once we get a higher profile in. A team like ours should have minimum 3 strikers especially taking into account all the injuries Martial is used to get

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Was thinking, a category of players that haven’t been discussed — in a way, wouldn’t getting someone on par with where Gakpo was last summer be more or less a perfect buy?

Like a 19-21 y/o who haven’t quite broken out yet?

Our top 4 is ‘set’ with Martial; Rash-Bruno-Antony, and if we aren’t getting someone really good, we are buying “depth”.

Jonathan Davis has been mentioned, but he seems to be one of those Fabrizio Romano pump n dump plays.

Youssoufa Moukoko is one, have only seen him a few times, haven’t really stood out but he is really young and was OK. Don’t know if he is “just” an early bloomer who might never be great or if he has a ton of development left, but he could be an option.

Perhaps someone like Adam Hlożek?

Last edited:

kaku06

Go for Kane. Honestly, there isn’t a better striker out there than him. Last year into his contract, would be gettable for 60-70m. People say he’s 30, I say he was never reliant on his pace and he’s still got 3-4 yrs easily. Name me a better striker than him we can get. Not one. None.

Cathy Ferguson

Was thinking, a category of players that haven’t been discussed — in a way, wouldn’t getting someone on par with where Gakpo was last summer be more or less a perfect buy?

Like a 19-21 y/o who haven’t quite broken out yet?

Our top 4 is ‘set’ with Martial; Rash-Bruno-Antony, and if we aren’t getting someone really good, we are buying “depth”.

Jonathan Davis has been mentioned, but he seems to be one of those Fabrizio Romano pump n dump plays.

Youssoufa Moukoko is one, have only seen him a few times, haven’t really stood out but he is really young and was OK. Don’t know if he is “just” an early bloomer who might never be great or if he has a ton of development left, but he could be an option.

Perhaps someone like Adam Hlożek?
We do not know how Martial will perform in this system and that is a risk. He was poor while on loan and is injury prone so an understudy will be important unless ETH rates Rashford in that role.

Irrational.

Go for Kane. Honestly, there isn’t a better striker out there than him. Last year into his contract, would be gettable for 60-70m. People say he’s 30, I say he was never reliant on his pace and he’s still got 3-4 yrs easily. Name me a better striker than him we can get. Not one. None.
Dealing with Levy makes this deal virtually impossible.

Jam

1) Daniel. Levy.

2) He’s 30, and yes he is fantastic and has a few more years left but we can’t keep going out and getting 30+ year old forwards. At some point we need to nip this in the bud.

3) If Kane leaves Spurs now it’s only to a club where consistent silverware is nigh on guaranteed. He would quite happily be a one club man and a Spurs legend. He isn’t unhappy there, the only reason his head has been turned is for trophies. Why would he go to another club that while yes is looking on the up still isn’t looking like a Prem or European cup challenger for certain for the next few years.

Obviously I’d love Kane but there’s challenges blocking that, and there’s downsides. It just isn’t happening.

Now Haaland is at City for potentially 2-3 years I don’t see Kane leaving Spurs (unless he goes and has a one off season somewhere in his last year).

kaku06

Dealing with Levy makes this deal virtually impossible.
As I said last year of his contract doesn’t make him hold all the cards. He may ask for abit more money but he isn’t letting Kane go for absolutely nothing.

kaku06

1) Daniel. Levy.

2) He’s 30, and yes he is fantastic and has a few more years left but we can’t keep going out and getting 30+ year old forwards. At some point we need to nip this in the bud.

3) If Kane leaves Spurs now it’s only to a club where consistent silverware is nigh on guaranteed. He would quite happily be a one club man and a Spurs legend. He isn’t unhappy there, the only reason his head has been turned is for trophies. Why would he go to another club that while yes is looking on the up still isn’t looking like a Prem or European cup challenger for certain for the next few years.

Obviously I’d love Kane but there’s challenges blocking that, and there’s downsides. It just isn’t happening.

Now Haaland is at City for potentially 2-3 years I don’t see Kane leaving Spurs (unless he goes and has a one off season somewhere in his last year).
1) last year of his contract after this season. He isn’t letting Kane go for free.

2) 30 isn’t old. Posters need to let go of this thing. There’s a difference between signing Kane at 30 and the likes of Cavani, Ronaldo etc at 35-36. Literally a world of difference. Strikers these days play well into their 30’s. Kane isn’t going anywhere till 33-34. Never reliant on pace and still chasing Shearer’s record.

3) Lack of options. City, Liverpool aren’t gonna sign him. He won’t sign for Arsenal or chelsea. He desperately wants Shearer’s record so he isn’t going to la Liga or bundesliga. If we do well under ten hag and get top 4 and want him then we are always a better bet than spurs for trophies. It’s not even an argument. Plus massive rise for him in wages and most possibly under new owners we could land him easily.

Theo88

anyone tracks Moukoko from Dortmund?
His contract expires in June, and i've read a few articles about him being the next best thing.

Also he's a cheat on FM :lol:

NoPace

There are a lot of decent options on that list, certainly decent enough that if we signed them we could be hopeful they'd be good buys and improve us. There just isn't a super-obvious stand-out buy. All depends on what type of player ETH wants and what prices they're available for. Be interesting to see what direction we go in.
Yeah I thought the list was way shorter until I made it. I could see definitely see us buying 1 from the 20-35M or free range in January, and then re-assesing after 18 more months of Martial and the first 18 months of that guy. Bit risky for next season, but I don't know that there's a player in that list outside of the 50M+ guys, that you'd feel confident will get 75+ league goals over the next 4 seasons, which I'll make the arbitrary goal, along with either good link up play or pressing and not being below average at either.

NoPace

1) last year of his contract after this season. He isn’t letting Kane go for free.

2) 30 isn’t old. Posters need to let go of this thing. There’s a difference between signing Kane at 30 and the likes of Cavani, Ronaldo etc at 35-36. Literally a world of difference. Strikers these days play well into their 30’s. Kane isn’t going anywhere till 33-34. Never reliant on pace and still chasing Shearer’s record.

3) Lack of options. City, Liverpool aren’t gonna sign him. He won’t sign for Arsenal or chelsea. He desperately wants Shearer’s record so he isn’t going to la Liga or bundesliga. If we do well under ten hag and get top 4 and want him then we are always a better bet than spurs for trophies. It’s not even an argument. Plus massive rise for him in wages and most possibly under new owners we could land him easily.
I think it's too much of a risk for Kane to leave for us. Spurs are 10 up on goal difference from us (better indicator long-term) and they're not an old team. They can definitely upgrade at LCB, CB, add a creative midfielder and their wingbacks (the key players in the Conte team) aren't good enough. Apart from a #10 to come off the bench, those aren't the most expensive positions to sign so Spurs spending 30-40M on 4/5 of them and getting a breakout from one of the younger players (Sessegnon, Spence, Devine, Royal, Udogie) to plug the 5th hole actually seems quite reasonable.

If he goes it's for guaranteed trophies at Bayern Munich or to replace Lewandowski or Benzema for say 2 years in Spain, or even to Italy where he'll age best and can even be the best player in the league and win the title as a star like Lukaku did.

NoPace

There is no way that Toney will sell for 50m or less, more likely at least 70m.

I am sure that ETH is keeping tabs on Kudos at Ajax.
Out of contract in 2025 apparently, so selling him for 50M with 2 years to go might look okay to them if he completely forces his way out and nobody goes over 40M.

Who would? Spurs won't if Kane is still there. City won't. Liverpool won't. Arsenal might, but not sure he suits them or they'd buy a player that old for that much who's still a risk, they seem too sharp and long-term oriented for that these days. Newcastle have Wilson and more importantly paid a ton for Isak and have other holes to fill. Chelsea appear to be signing Nkunku.

That makes it Villa and us, and I'm sure Brentford would rather sell to us than a competitor, and Toney would rather come here. So 50M might be possible.

I could absolutely see him being tapped up and doing a Saha and saying something like "The club say they would rather sell me in six months' time but I am fed up now," said Saha. "Either I leave now or I am staying at Fulham until the end of my contract which finishes in 2006. I feel that the road which leads to Old Trafford is about to open Louis Saha "If Fulham love me that much they are going to have to cope with me until the end and then I will leave them for zero euros."

Deal was done a week later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/3391725.stm

kaku06

I think it's too much of a risk for Kane to leave for us. Spurs are 10 up on goal difference from us (better indicator long-term) and they're not an old team. They can definitely upgrade at LCB, CB, add a creative midfielder and their wingbacks (the key players in the Conte team) aren't good enough. Apart from a #10 to come off the bench, those aren't the most expensive positions to sign so Spurs spending 30-40M on 4/5 of them and getting a breakout from one of the younger players (Sessegnon, Spence, Devine, Royal, Udogie) to plug the 5th hole actually seems quite reasonable.

If he goes it's for guaranteed trophies at Bayern Munich or to replace Lewandowski or Benzema for say 2 years in Spain, or even to Italy where he'll age best and can even be the best player in the league and win the title as a star like Lukaku did.
I would agree if spurs finish higher than us and especially we don’t finish even into the top 4.

To your second point, I genuinely don’t think he’s going to go to any league. I think he wants to break the Shearer’s record and become the top record goal scorer ever and to be fair I don’t blame him. It’s the biggest accolade right now for him. So it’s either spurs or us if we really want him.

Marwood

Some strikers do. But some don't. Or at least not to the same level. Age has to be part of the thinking when a player is 30.

vva

I wish there would be some news related with 22 years old Braga forward. His name is Vitinha and there’s some similar style of Haaland in him.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The Premier League is a different beast than other big five leagues, higher tempo, more high intensity sprinting, better athletes, and worse weather. It's not a kind environment for aging players at all.

Over the last 20 years, the number of PL strikers who have played at a truly top class level for multiple seasons at age 31+ is tiny - the list is basically Alan Shearer and Jamie Vardy.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Charles De Ketelaere is amazing on FM23, not sure about real life though, anyone any thoughts or views on this lad?
Vlahovic would be another good choice, uncertainty over Juve even remaining in Serie A, potentially him wanting to leave and we could be the destination for him.

Bojan Djordjic

Charles De Ketelaere is amazing on FM23, not sure about real life though, anyone any thoughts or views on this lad?
Vlahovic would be another good choice, uncertainty over Juve even remaining in Serie A, potentially him wanting to leave and we could be the destination for him.
He’s just moved to Milan not so long ago and I don’t think he’s really the profile United need. Not really a nine but more of a second striker/wingfielder type. Very promising but l thought I’d read he’d been having a tough transition at Milan

Boondog

Vlahovic would rank quite highly for me. No idea how gettable he would be, especially in January, but I would hope we might be able to exploit Juve's financial situation at some point.
Yeah he looks like the best option overall for January. Should be available and with the price on Ramos rising Vlahovic is looking better and better.

He would be a beast with us. Adds real air threat and strong all around.

dal

Kane has a lot of injuries and although brilliant passing and holdup play its a lot to pay for someone who looks very leggy.

Regardless to have Kane and Martial sharing the duties for 3 years, I’d be happy to spend £70 million on him and we would probably get him.

Jeffthered

Another 30 something year old in decline, really you would take that?
Yes. As I stated, it's short term loan deal with Vardy. We make that clear. It gives time to scout the market someone to emerge, anyone within our youth team coming through.

He's proven quality and still has goals and experience, and I imagine a fair bit of hunger in him.

And he is a Centre Forward. Nothing else and that's what we need. Many teams need in fact.

NoPace

Watching the Betis friendly reminded me how much Ten Hag's system with us leads to the striker getting the ball with a chance to run at center backs. Shame there's not an obvious fit of a young star like Benzema at Lyon, who was already really good at basically everything Ten Hag asks for from a 9.

troylocker

Yeah, Sesko is the No 1 for me if I could chose any striker in the world except Haaland. For various reasons, he gets underrated. If you haven't seen him much I recon its only natural to be a little skeptical about another RB Salzburg striker, how good is his competition really? But he hasn't just done it in Austria, he has also performed in the CL and especially been absolutely spectacular in the Nations League for Slovenia. I saw Slovenia play both against the Serbs and Norway the last fall, and in both games he was the MOTM among the outfield players at least. He and Oblak really carries that team.

He just got it all. 6'4. Really fast. He is 6'4, but just like Haaland, it doesn't at all show in his speed. He gets to top speed really fast. Looking at guys like Vlahovic and Schmacca and the likes, they move well -- for someone their size. Sesko moves well, period. Excellent in the pressing game. Great in the air. Finishes really well with both feet. Check out the below goal with his weak foot, its just what he does:

When he plays, he just does all the right things, definitely reminiscent of Haaland. When he takes runs against a defensive line, he immediately catch your attention just like with Haaland because its with the exact same type of fury. Just like Haaland, he shots really well with both feet even when he is running at absolute full speed. Its something they must be focusing a lot in the RB academy. Like we all know how it is when someone is storming down on the goal at full speed with a defender hanging on and they try to get of a shot despite literary losing the angle by the milli-second, odds are that the shot won't hit anything close to the net. Not with Sesko.

He is not Haaland 2.0. But he is from my POV clearly the best alternative out there.
I agree he's strong, fast for his size, a good finisher and has a good header in him, but he doesn't have the goalgetter instinct of the best strikers. He just doesn't get into good goalscoring positions often enough and lacks that position awareness. 7 goals in 25 games for a dominant Salzburg side this season just isn't good enough, especially when he's not particularly good at bringing his teammates into play high up in the field either.

I'm still convinced Moukoko should be our main target. Just turned 18 and is the most natural #9 and finisher out there not named Haaland. Will score shitloads whereever he goes even though he's still far from the finished article.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I agree he's strong, fast for his size, a good finisher and has a good header in him, but he doesn't have the goalgetter instinct of the best strikers. He just doesn't get into good goalscoring positions often enough and lacks that position awareness. 7 goals in 25 games for a dominant Salzburg side this season just isn't good enough, especially when he's not particularly good at bringing his teammates into play high up in the field either.

I'm still convinced Moukoko should be our main target. Just turned 18 and is the most natural #9 and finisher out there not named Haaland. Will score shitloads whereever he goes even though he's still far from the finished article.
Yeah, its pretty striking when you look at his stats. The goals production just isn't there right now and its not a function of this year's team because he is being outproduced by two other forwards, who have each scored more in significantly fewer minutes. Forget about Haaland, this is a league that players like Karim Adeyemi, Patson Daka, and Hwang-hee Chan crushed when they were at Red Bull Salzburg.