The Centre Midfield Ranking

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Seeing the Scholes v Modric thread led me to thinking, just how many great CMs have their been of late.

I'd say there's been a good number that could be classified as truly world class throughout the history of football just in the last 20 or so years.

Modric
Scholes
Kroos
Xavi
Schweinsteiger
Keane
Vieira
Pirlo
Xabi Alonso?

I've tried to exclude the pure DMs and AMs such as Makelele and Iniesta so we can compare players operating in the same area of the field even if carrying out different roles.

If people could pick their top 5 I'd like to collate it in a week or so and see who comes out on top. Feel free to add players I've missed that you feel deserve to be in there.

Also as a final note, are there any players that you think could break into this bracket over the next few years?

Pogba
Kante
De Brunye (Played a lot deeper last season)
Thiago (potential to step up again)
Verrati (I don't think he'll ever get to the level)
Casemiro (Changed Real Madrids fortunes in midfield)

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Keane and Vieira are not really from the last 10 years. And some of Pirlo, Scholes and Xavi's best years came from more than 10 years ago.

From the last 10 years my ranking would be

1. Xavi
2. Modric
3. Schweinsteiger
4. Pirlo
5. Kroos

P-Nut

Keane and Vieira are not really from the last 10 years. And some of Pirlo, Scholes and Xavi's best years came from more than 10 years ago.

From the last 10 years my ranking would be

1. Xavi
2. Modric
3. Schweinsteiger
4. Pirlo
5. Kroos
I'm not saying peak but just being around. I should probably change it to peak within last 20 as that should cover pretty much all the modern era players.

Inter Yer Nan

Purely from 2008 to today

1. Xavi
2. Pirlo
3. Modric
4. Schweinsteiger
5. Kroos

Xabi Alonso was great too and I think a few honorable mentions that I’ve not seen in this thread are Cesc Fabregas, Arturo Vidal, Sergio Busquets. I think Pogba will be in the top 5 of that probably within 2-3 years.

Last 20 years I’d have Scholes, Keane and probably Vieira in my top 5. Scholes being #2.

askabob

Michael Carrick will be remembered as one of the greats in some time

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Playmaker type of midfielder only:

1. Zidane
2. Xavi
3. Pirlo
4. Scholes
5. Riquelme (when the team is build around him, it’s total joy to watch)
6. De Bruyne (the weight of his pass is totally out of this world)
7. Modric
8. Kroos
9. Pogba (he got the highest potential out of this list, and I am not kidding)
10. Ozil (like it or not, he is still king of assists over the years)

P-Nut

Playmaker type of midfielder only:

1. Zidane
2. Xavi
3. Pirlo
4. Scholes
5. Riquelme (when the team is build around him, it’s total joy to watch)
6. De Bruyne (the weight of his pass is totally out of this world)
7. Modric
8. Kroos
9. Pogba (he got the highest potential out of this list, and I am not kidding)
10. Ozil (like it or not, he is still king of assists over the years)
I'd consider a lot of this list to be attacking midfielders. And at that point it becomes hard to compare.

How do you compare Zidane, Riquelme and Ozil to say Xabi Alonso?

P-Nut

Michael Carrick will be remembered as one of the greats in some time
As mentioned above he falls behind quite a few similar types of players, both in ability and honours won. Alonso could dictate a game almost as well, but was a better defender, Kroos has won so much more, but is probably closest to Carrick in terms of play style and skillset.

Carolina Red

Staff
I’m terrible at making these ranking lists, I just know that Schweinsteiger in his prime was everything I’d ever want in a box to box type central midfielder.

SpyLuke10

Pirlo is a great player but overrated imo. Casemiro is also a CDM. Also if you include De Bruyne as a CM at the end then I reckon you also ought to include Iniesta with the above since he often played a little bit deeper like De Bruyne. As such, the best midfielders I've seen of the last 10 years are Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, Kroos and Schweinsteiger.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd class Iniesta as a CM and, for me, he is the greatest CM I've seen live alongside Scholes.

Banega at his best is as good as any CM around, but he doesn't have that elite mentality that the likes of Kroos and Modric have.

Luis Alberto of Lazio could make the transition to CM this upcoming season, and I think he'd be great there. He's a master of dictating play, and is one of the best players I've seen at playing through balls. His weight of pass is pretty much perfect everytime.

I've been a fan of Brozovic's for a while now as well, so it'll be interesting to see how he does in the CL this year. I think he's had a good world cup and has been as good as Modric and Rakitic when he's played.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
From 2008 onwards

For CM:

1. Xavi
2. Schweinsteiger
3. Modric
4. Vidal
5. Pirlo
6. Kroos
7. Xabi Alonso
8. Yaya Toure
9. Fabregas
10. Pogba

For AM:

1. Ineista
2. David Silva
3. Ozil
4. Hazard
5. De Bryune

Can't think of many more consistently great AM's though during this period. People might argue Hazard shouldn't be there because he is more of a winger.

EDIT: Added David Silva inplace of James

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
1. Xavi
1b. Pirlo
3. Modric
4. Schweinsteiger
4b. Scholes
6. Kroos
7. Vieira*
7b. Xabi Alonso

*completely different type of player, more of a great two-way player with good passing and sense of tempo than a regista. Certainly the last player on this list i'd build my midfield around, but would be my first choice to play next to that player with the possible exceptions of Schweini and Xabi

Top 2 are sort of in a league of their own compared to the rest, i'd say if you asked those 8 to make this ranking it'd be the only constant

EDIT: taking whole careers and peaks into account. Last 20 years then Xavi-Schweini-Modric-Pirlo-Scholes-Kroos-Xabi-Vieira

P-Nut

Seeing people struggle so much has made me want to do my own. I'd personally have it as...

Xavi
Schweinsteiger
Keane
Modric
Vieira
Scholes
Pirlo
Kante
Kroos
Xabi Alonso

Really do think if you take into account Kantes last three seasons he deserves to be in the discussion. Could possibly be...
PL winner with a club no one ever expected.
PL winner with a club in turmoil previous season
WC winner (only one he'd be ripped to win before it started)

All whilst being an absolute key player for each side throughout the full season/tournament.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'd consider a lot of this list to be attacking midfielders. And at that point it becomes hard to compare.

How do you compare Zidane, Riquelme and Ozil to say Xabi Alonso?
I can’t compare even with same position. I can only compare if they share similar role - ie creative playmaker in midfield. Hence I leave out all other box to box, defensive type, or dribbling/goalscoring type of midfielder.

trafford1980

From 2008 onwards

Form CM:

1. Xavi
2. Schweinsteiger
3. Modric
4. Vidal
5. Pirlo
6. Kroos
7. Xabi Alonso
8. Yaya Toure
9. Fabregas
10. Pogba

For AM:

1. Ineista
2. Ozil
3. Hazard
4. De Bruyne
5. James

Can't think of many more consistently great AM's though during this period. People might argue Hazard shouldn't be there because he is more of a winger.
These are great lists.

I'd have Busquets in my top 10 CM somewhere though, I'd put him between 8-10, eliminating Pogba.

Also, David Siva is in my top 2 AM for sure. And my wildcard is Frank Lampard, both would edge out KDB and James for me.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
These are great lists.

I'd have Busquets in my top 10 CM somewhere though, I'd put him between 8-10, eliminating Pogba.

Also, David Siva is in my top 2 AM for sure. And my wildcard is Frank Lampard, both would edge out KDB and James for me.
Busquests would be a DM for me, alongside players like Kante, Masherano, Motta etc.

Feel absolutely sh*t for missing out on David Silva, will edit my post and add him :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
I wouldn't compare the likes of Scholes, with the likes of Keane, or the likes of Zidane. While it can be done, it is a bit of apples vs oranges. Keeping that in mind:

Playmaker/Deep Laying Playmaker:

1. Xavi
2. Pirlo
3. Modric
4. Scholes
5. Kroos
6. Xabi Alonso

Attacking midfielder:

1. Zidane
2. Iniesta
3. Gerrard
4. Lampard
5. David Silva
6. Riquelme *

Box to box/defensive midfielders:

1. Redondo
2. Keano
3. Vieira
4. Davids
5. Schweinsteiger
6. Busquets
7. Mascherano
8. Yaya Toure

* One of the most talented players of this era, and he should have been on par with Zidane. Apparently, he had a difficult personality though, and never settled in Europe

PM: Like always, I think that I am missing someone who obviously should be on the list.

From the current ones, I have been disappointing with them. Only Kroos has really become good. I thought that Thiago will reach Xavi/Iniesta heights but he hasn't been anywhere near. Gundogan with all the injuries is essentially useless. Same for Wilshere. Pogba has essentially not make any progress for a couple of years now, and I think you can say the same for Veratti. De Bruyne is the best of them, and he is continuing to improve each season, so he can finish somewhere in the middle of the second list. Kante and Casemiro have essentially come from nowhere and become the best players in their positions, but I just think that there is no way that they can finish in top 5 in the third list. I mean, they are nowhere near the likes of Redondo, Keano, Vieira, Davids or even Busquets whom cnut as he is, was a brilliant player.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
* One of the most talented players of this era, and he should have been on par with Zidane. Apparently, he had a difficult personality though, and never settled in Europe
Difficult personality, you say?

sherrinford

Kroos sticks out like a sore thumb for me on these lists. He’s obviously a very good player, but a level below the obvious names being banded about - I’d have him alongside players like Carrick, who aren’t regarded quite as highly.

Revan

Assumptionman
Kroos sticks out like a sore thumb for me on these lists. He’s obviously a very good player, but a level below the obvious names being banded about - I’d have him alongside players like Carrick, who aren’t regarded quite as highly.
Would say that he is on level with Xabi Alonso, but higher than Carrick, Fabregas and co.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think you're confusing him with Rivaldo

edit: damn you @giorno

NikkiCFC

Supports
Chelsea
I would like to hear some opinions why most people consider Iniesta, Xavi best midfielders? I know football is not just about numbers but their usual seasons were something like 3,4 goals and a couple more assists. They were amazing in short passes but that's about it .

For example Lampard had 7 seasons in a row with 20+ goals and 10+ assists and is best midfielder goalscorer in the history of football. Besides that he used to take all set pieces, was great in long passes , scored a lot of goals from out of the box, with header ... In defence also good . Everything they lack of. So for my he had everything and wouldn't trade him for any other midfielder out there.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
How come the OP asks for last 20 years and everyone’s lists are from the last 10 plus Scholes? :confused:

meamth

Nah I love Carrick one of my favorite players ever but a bunch of the guys listed in the OP were press resistant Carrick struggled when pressed.
Carrick is press resistant as all the names mentioned. When he was at his prime he is just as good if not better.

Revan

Assumptionman
I always liked the box to box Midfielder. I see Robson did not get a mention.
He retired 30 years ago, the lists are for the last 20 years or so.
Carrick is press resistant as all the names mentioned. When he was at his prime he is just as good if not better.
Better than whom on these lists? And no, Carrick really wasn't press resistant. When we faced teams that were good at pressing, we got overruned in midfield. I am not talking only for Barca, but even the likes of Bilbao made us look like a pub team.

I rate him higher than Fabregas though.

meamth

Better than whom on these lists? And no, Carrick really wasn't press resistant. When we faced teams that were good at pressing, we got overruned in midfield. I am not talking only for Barca, but even the likes of Bilbao made us look like a pub team.

Even Kroos is not as press resistant if you take that for example. Playing against high pressing teams when your team plays direct football is not a measuring tool for a player's ability.

Yes, Kroos can play tiki taka if he wants to, but when you function in a team like Madrid, you are not asked to play short passes, pretty much what Carrick was in twilight of his career.

Bestietom

Sorry I did not read 20 years ago. Pavel Nedved was another great midfielder.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sorry I did not read 20 years ago. Pavel Nedved was another great midfielder.
He was, but I think he played more in the left wing. I rate Nedved pretty much on Figo's level, both of them fantastic playmakers from the wing.

Hammondo

Xavi
Pirlo
Keane
Modric
Scholes
Xabi Alonso
Schweinsteiger
Kroos
Vieira

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
1. Xavi
2. Pirlo
3. Modric
4. Keane
5. Schweinsteiger
6. Kroos
7. Scholes

Eddy_JukeZ

So from those outlined in the OP, I'd go

1. Xavi
2. Modric
3. Pirlo
4. Scholes
5. Schweinsteiger

Ainu

I would like to hear some opinions why most people consider Iniesta, Xavi best midfielders? I know football is not just about numbers but their usual seasons were something like 3,4 goals and a couple more assists. They were amazing in short passes but that's about it .

For example Lampard had 7 seasons in a row with 20+ goals and 10+ assists and is best midfielder goalscorer in the history of football. Besides that he used to take all set pieces, was great in long passes , scored a lot of goals from out of the box, with header ... In defence also good . Everything they lack of. So for my he had everything and wouldn't trade him for any other midfielder out there.
To say a player like Xavi was "amazing in short passes but that's about it" is... well, I don't know what to say really. Xavi was the beating heart of one of the greatest club sides in history and a national team that won three major international tournaments in a row.

If you're only going to look at goals and assists, you're never going to appreciate how Xavi had near flawless technique to find space for a pass in even the most congested midfield areas. Not once per game, not twice, not even 3, 4 or 5 times. But tens of times in each and every game he played. The ability to pick out the teammate with the most space to receive that pass, even if that player seemed virtually unreachable. The ability to judge when to slow down the tempo and when to initiate that devastating increase in tempo that usually resulted in a goalscoring opportunity. All of this while rarely losing possession. At his peak he was the perfect midfielder, the player that gave the tiki-taka style purpose.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Even Kroos is not as press resistant if you take that for example. Playing against high pressing teams when your team plays direct football is not a measuring tool for a player's ability.

Yes, Kroos can play tiki taka if he wants to, but when you function in a team like Madrid, you are not asked to play short passes, pretty much what Carrick was in twilight of his career.
That's wrong, I remember Kroos played very well against Dortmund when they were at their prime under Klopp. Him playing an an attacking midfield role with Schweinsteiger and Gustavo/Martinez changed Bayern's fortunes from their last season under LvG where they really struggled in midfield at times (where he was played in a 2 man midfield with Schweinsteiger).