g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Championship 2018/19 - Play-off final

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Middlesbrough come back and draw 2-2 in the end. WBA lose, instead. Brentford thrash the newly-promoted Rotherham. Preston and Wigan win as well. Birmingham-Norwich 2-2 and Bristol City-Nottingham 1-1. Sheffield United-Swansea City now.
2-1 Swansea FT. Good win for them.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Anyway, Josh Harrop and Ben Pearson both starting in midfield for Preston today. Both showed great promise at times with us. Harrop in particular is very gifted I think, and will find his way to the PL at some stage.
I've always followed Preston as a sort of second team. They were very close to the play offs last season. Need to find a goalscorer and think they'll be play offs.

About time we saw them back in the top league, last played in it in the mid 60s. :eek:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah looking at the Swansea 11 real cost cutting going on there.

Don't think they or West Brom will be in the promotion mix tbh, certainly not top 2.

PoTMS

Hendo was having a blinder as well. Got a keeper on our hands.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Montero has looked very good in pre-season, hopefully this is a sign of the season to come for him.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Judged that perfectly. Watched the first ten minutes and thought it was gonna be shite, so I went and played Overwatch for an hour. Came back downstairs to see Sheffield United put that brilliant move together for the first goal, and then watched Swansea come from behind to win. Hope I'm this lucky with watching football all season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Lawrence scoring a late winner, and Pearson and Harrop (who provided the assist) start the season off with a win, too! 3 of my favourite youth players in recent years :drool:

Harrop didn't start much last year but he started the opening game seemingly as a CM. Good to see! Hope he plays a lot this year.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Montero has looked very good in pre-season, hopefully this is a sign of the season to come for him.
Yep he's disappeared last couple of seasons (actually thought he'd left Swansea) but he was ripping it up for a spell in the prem a few seasons back. Game turned when he came on as Sheffield's 3-5-2 couldn't handle him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lawrence scoring a late winner, and Pearson and Harrop (who provided the assist) start the season off with a win, too! 3 of my favourite youth players in recent years :drool:

Harrop didn't start much last year but he started the opening game seemingly as a CM. Good to see! Hope he plays a lot this year.
Bloody 'el another secret PNE fan on here....

Do you do civil partnerships......:drool:

Infestissumam

West Brom might have lost, but their new mascot is called "Boiler Man" ... at least they got that going for them.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yep he's disappeared last couple of seasons (actually thought he'd left Swansea) but he was ripping it up for a spell in the prem a few seasons back. Game turned when he came on as Sheffield's 3-5-2 couldn't handle him.
He basically had, I'm just hoping he can stay fit, hopefully the club will manage him carefully. Like you said Sheffield's 3 at the back suited him down to the ground.
I was happy with the performance and the result today, looking forward to seeing how McKay does over the season as he looked great today. Still need a few more faces in as we've lost plenty this summer and I expect Clucas, Ayew and Fernandez to be gone by the time the window shuts.

FireballXL5

You know you're shit when you make Alan Hutton look like Lionel Messi. 3-1 Villa.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Hutton has been outstanding, wants the ball all the time, really good performance. Also if Grealish goes from Villa they should look to Bowen playing for Hull tonight, can play in the middle or out wide, a very good player.

Classical Mechanic

Hutton has been outstanding, wants the ball all the time, really good performance. Also if Grealish goes from Villa they should look to Bowen playing for Hull tonight, can play in the middle or out wide, a very good player.
Grealish is gone, he was playing not to get injured out there and said goodbye when he was subbed.

Bowen is a good shout, he’s only 21 so I reckon he will play in the PL within a few years.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Grealish is gone, he was playing not to get injured out there and said goodbye when he was subbed.

Bowen is a good shout, he’s only 21 so I reckon he will play in the PL within a few years.
Grealish will be a good signing for a prem club, can see him in a spurs shirt but I don't think he's quite at that level yet, he still picks the wrong options at times .
Bowen looks a real talent, was impressed with Batty as well, looks good. Also good to see Campbell putting in a good shift

Classical Mechanic

Grealish will be a good signing for a prem club, can see him in a spurs shirt but I don't think he's quite at that level yet, he still picks the wrong options at times .
Bowen looks a real talent, was impressed with Batty as well, looks good. Also good to see Campbell putting in a good shift
If he is to kick on then Spurs is the best place for it. He will be playing with far better player than he ever has.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pleasantly surprised we won that. Certainly not turning away three points from opening game but we need to strengthen in all areas particularly in final third if/when Jack goes.

From what I've seen from opening weekend don't think they'll be as much quality in this division as Wolves and Fulham showed last season so will be more open in the top 6 I think.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Great start for Villa. How was the game?
Dragged at times. Stadium only about 60% full. Bad marking/defending for all the goals.

Hull played like the away team. Villa looked decent though kept giving the ball away in midfield. Hull didn't have enough quality to take advantage.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Dragged at times. Stadium only about 60% full. Bad marking/defending for all the goals.

Hull played like the away team. Villa looked decent though kept giving the ball away in midfield. Hull didn't have enough quality to take advantage.
Hope Villa can get promoted this season. I quite miss them in the Premier League.

Santos J

Boro 2-0 up vs Sheff Utd. Forest looking decent against West Brom but still 0-0.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Could have easily been 1-0 to West Brom there, bit of an awkward height for Rodriguez though.