The chase for 4th place (not top 4)

bosskeano

if we don't make the top 4 i would rahter miss out on playing in the Europa league ....this group just has consistency issues and you're not making the top 4 if you can't beat the likes of Burnley and dropping points to teams you should beat

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I make Spurs significant favorites at this point.

The big question for them is the health of Kane and Son. The last three seasons Kane has missed 10, 8, and 3 league games due to injury in the second half. His body has tended to break down over the course of the season. If he stays healthy or only misses a couple matches, Spurs really should get fourth. They have the best manager, two world class forwards, and a relatively simple but effective tactical setup that should provide them some consistency. If Kane misses a longer stretch of matches (like the 8-10 matches of the 18-19 or 19-20 seasons) they are probably screwed.

Irwin99

errr...yesterday was a point gained maybe :eek: I still fancy Spurs as favourites but all four teams are pretty average really.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It was never off. Plenty of points will be dropped by all the teams. It’s not like we are chasing City or Liverpool.
Exactly. There's a reason it's a top 4 race. We are all shit.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Still stand by my prediction that United will finish 4th. Your squad is too good not to.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Still stand by my prediction that United will finish 4th. Your squad is too good not to.
Apart from Varane what other player is waaay too good to miss top 4?

Fred? AWB? 37 yo Ronaldo? McTominay? Maguire? 35 yo Cavani? Dalot?

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Seems like everyone is allergic to 4th spot. This will be a dogfight till the last game.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The problem we (united) have right now is that we are simply incapable of going on any meaningful run AND we can't score more than 2 goals a game. Defensively, whilst we have somewhat improved (I would actually put that down to the quality of opposition we have played) we are still likely to concede a goal and everyone knows what happens to this team that has a mentality of a toothpick once we do concede.

We also have the small matter of fact that from March onwards our fixtures get extremely tough, we have to go away to liverpool and city and arsenal. Home to spurs, chelsea. I can genuinely see us loosing all those games. And once we inevitably get knocked out of the CL by Atletico, the players won't give a shit. So all in all, its a tall order for us to get top 4.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The problem we (united) have right now is that we are simply incapable of going on any meaningful run AND we can't score more than 2 goals a game. Defensively, whilst we have somewhat improved (I would actually put that down to the quality of opposition we have played) we are still likely to concede a goal and everyone knows what happens to this team that has a mentality of a toothpick once we do concede.

We also have the small matter of fact that from March onwards our fixtures get extremely tough, we have to go away to liverpool and city and arsenal. Home to spurs, chelsea. I can genuinely see us loosing all those games. And once we inevitably get knocked out of the CL by Atletico, the players won't give a shit. So all in all, its a tall order for us to get top 4.
Inspiring words

Volksie316

People might not agree, but I think Wolves have a really really good chance of 4th place.

Bruno has got them playing some good football and as always, they are rock solid in defence.

It's certainly a 5 team race for 4th, and that's between West Ham, United Arsenal, Spurs and Wolves.

Patchbeard

People might not agree, but I think Wolves have a really really good chance of 4th place.

Bruno has got them playing some good football and as always, they are rock solid in defence.

It's certainly a 5 team race for 4th, and that's between West Ham, United Arsenal, Spurs and Wolves.
I hasn't actually noticed just how close they were to Spurs & Arsenal, makes tonight's game a proper 6 pointer.

Almost feel as though a Wolves win would make it a 5 horse race, whereas an Arsenal win would leave it as almost certainly a 4 horse race with Arsenal the new favourites.

I predict a 0-0 and everyone is still none the wiser.

AaronRedDevil

We are favourites.
We can't beat Burnley or anyone in a while. Also united NEEDED to win that game. March is going to kill us some more, so that's why we need to win those games to make it ok to lose the march games. Yeah..I've not much faith in this team being able to do it. Also Arsenal and Tottenham have 2 games in hand ahead of us.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
We can't beat Burnley or anyone in a while. Also united NEEDED to win that game. March is going to kill us some more, so that's why we need to win those games to make it ok to lose the march games. Yeah..I've not much faith in this team being able to do it. Also Arsenal and Tottenham have 2 games in hand ahead of us.
Thanks for that mate.

You said we have no chance, we are literally favourites.

You just dont fancy us, fair enough.

cyberman

One of their games in hand is against each other

Irwin99

We haven't seen Ralf's tactics in the big games yet. If he can park the bus well enough maybe those games in March might not be all doom and gloom. Who knows- maybe he might be another LVG in the big games.

Another reason for positivity is who we're up against. They seem to be just as inconsistent as we are.

Patchbeard

It's still firmly in our own hands despite the games in hand for Spurs & Arsenal, because if we beat them in the H2Hs we would be ahead. And Spurs are all over the shop and also look like dropping points every week. Arsenal are the one's I'm most worried about, but cmon, it's Arteta and they still have Xhaka as first choice, so if we finish behind them come May we'll only have ourselves to blame.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It's still firmly in our own hands despite the games in hand for Spurs & Arsenal, because if we beat them in the H2Hs we would be ahead. And Spurs are all over the shop and also look like dropping points every week. Arsenal are the one's I'm most worried about, but cmon, it's Arteta and they still have Xhaka as first choice, so if we finish behind them come May we'll only have ourselves to blame.
I am not surprised if Arsenal lose to wolves, chelsea and liverpool in the up coming games. We got a draw against Burnley as well. There are no easy games in EPL. I won't even bother with the 4th spot and just focus on the up coming game. If we are good enough we will get there.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I am not surprised if Arsenal lose to wolves, chelsea and liverpool in the up coming games. We got a draw against Burnley as well. There are no easy games in EPL. I won't even bother with the 4th spot and just focus on the up coming game. If we are good enough we will get there.
The Chelsea & Liverpool games have had to be put back. Not sure what date these will be.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
But if it’s firmly in your hands isn’t it also, by the same logic, firmly in Arsenal’s and Spurs’ hands? I struggle to see how one position is firmly in three teams’ hands.

Patchbeard

But if it’s firmly in your hands isn’t it also, by the same logic, firmly in Arsenal’s and Spurs’ hands? I struggle to see how one position is firmly in three teams’ hands.
Firmly is probably not the right word yes... more I meant it's still all to play for, and I don't see why some people are so pessimistic about our chances - yes we would struggle to score in a brothel right now but the opposition for 4th is hardly anything special. I'm not overly confident but certainly more confident than if I were a Spurs fan.

cyberman

Which means guaranteed points for one or both of them, and you need to finish above both to get top 4 I’d imagine
Or one is guaranteed to drop points?
We aren’t on a fantastic run but one defeat since Ralph has got here has tightened us up to the top 4. That’s all that seems to be needed. There was one stage that Spurs were games in hand away from going 8 clear or something stupid and now they’re sinking fast. We all aren’t on the same progression, we won’t miss chance after chance, we won’t see VAR screw us over every game and 1 defensive mistake in a game won’t automatically lead to a goal against us.
On the other side we have Arsenal who have no squad and little attacking options and Spurs who get outplayed every game.
Just play the way we have been and we should be good

RashyGiggsy

I have seen improvement under Rangnick. Do I wish it was more? Do I wish we were scoring more goals? Do I wish we didn't still give up the dumb goal, due to mental errors (e.g. Middlesbrough and Burnley)? Yes, to all of these. But, I have still seen improvement. I think that United will find themselves, at least, in 4th by the end of the season. Chelsea is slipping and Tuchel is losing his s***. We could make it to 3rd.

I am going to be a United fan heretic it seems and refuse to be an eternal pessimist! I will be optimistic and hopeful!

copen1945

This race looks as if it would go down to the wire. The Wenger Cup is a thing if not an achievement.