The chase for 4th place (not top 4)

Irwin99

Had a sneaky feeling Spurs would do it and although it's still out of their hands, I think Arsenal will feck up against Newcastle leaving Spurs to get 4th.
The most obvious call ever but hey, I still called it :D

Aresnal can have no complaints. Spurs have been the better side and they have the better manager. Would be very shocked if Spurs messed this up now.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
At most Spurs need a point against Norwich. Either it’s over or they’re going to redefine Spursy.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The best 4 teams are finishing top 4 you can't begrudge any of them

Arsenal would have been an embarrassment in the UCL next season

PoTMS

Not really. All three contenders for 4th spot have been shocking this season. Spurs just had the foresight and ambition in bringing a proper manager in once the Nuno experiment failed. Meanwhile the two banter clubs were managed by Arteta, and Solskjaer/Rangnick - managers that should be managing relegation fodder.

flappyjay

Not really, all three have been shocking this season. Spurs just had the foresight and ambition in bringing a proper manager in. Meanwhile at the two banter clubs, Arteta, Solskjaer and Rangnick are managers that should be managing relegation fodder.
Yeah spurs really pushed for it, got the right manager and then spent money in January.

charlenefan

Not really, all three have been shocking this season. Spurs just had the foresight and ambition in bringing a proper manager in once the Nuno experiment failed. Meanwhile the two banter clubs were managed by Arteta, and Solskjaer/Rangnick - managers that should be managing relegation fodder.
Yes really

Guy Incognito

Yep, they are miles off unless they get some decent midfielders and forwards.

They have youngsters who can gel but it's completely different to the Wenger project.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interested what Kane does now.

Would imagine he'll stay to play in CL and then leave next summer. Probably makes sense with world cup slap bang in the middle.

And refuse any new contract offers coming his way.

always_hoping

Embarrassment indeed but Let's be honest Spurs will finish 4th thanks to who they were chasing and how they bottled it.

As for Conte doesn't he have a dreadful record as manager in the Champions league?

charlenefan

Embarrassment indeed but Let's be honest Spurs will finish 4th thanks to who they were chasing and how they bottled it.

As for Conte doesn't he have a dreadful record as manager in the Champions league?
He does and I don't expect Spurs to go far but they'll do better than Arsenal would have

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I've counted us out the race about 3 times already this season. I don't think we'll beat Newcastle either, in fact with the defence we'll put out we'll probably get beat.

From a Utd point of view, I'd have thought they would have preferred Arsenal to get top 4, because I think Spurs are more equipped with 2 world class forwards & a world class manager ready in place and a more experienced team to really be able to kick on in the next year or so with top 4, whereas I think we'd be more of a slow burn still with a young manager & young squad?
Most probably feel Levy will not invest substantially enough to satisfy Conte and challenge, they will be just scraping CL or just missing out and ending up in the EL. Kane and Son not getting any younger, Conte will not stick around when Levy won't stump up the money needed to push for trophies.

Levy had the perfect opportunity under a great and dynamic Pochettino side to invest. Backup striker for Kane, midfield reinforcements to replace a Dembele whose body was starting to break down. Eriksen left, never replaced, it's a pattern with Spurs and squad investment. Levy is happy enough to throw wads of cash around on construction projects, Spurs spent a fortune on new training facilities, a world class lodge, urban gentrification of the precinct and of course the swanky stadium. Im sure someone could pull up a graph of Spurs net spend and they are probably below the likes of Hammers, Everton, Leicester, etc. Let alone the giants City, Pool, Chelsea, United.

MUW4Eva

Yep, they are miles off unless they get some decent midfielders and forwards.

They have youngsters who can gel but it's completely different to the Wenger project.
Arsenal need a new goalkeeper, a new backline, a new midfield, and some players that are actually a threat to the opposition goal, but apart from that....

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Most probably feel Levy will not invest substantially enough to satisfy Conte and challenge, they will be just scraping CL or just missing out and ending up in the EL. Kane and Son not getting any younger, Conte will not stick around when Levy won't stump up the money needed to push for trophies.

Levy had the perfect opportunity under a great and dynamic Pochettino side to invest. Backup striker for Kane, midfield reinforcements to replace a Dembele whose body was starting to break down. Eriksen left, never replaced, it's a pattern with Spurs and squad investment. Levy is happy enough to throw wads of cash around on construction projects, Spurs spent a fortune on new training facilities, a world class lodge, urban gentrification of the precinct and of course the swanky stadium. Im sure someone could pull up a graph of Spurs net spend and they are probably below the likes of Hammers, Everton, Leicester, etc. Let alone the giants City, Pool, Chelsea, United.
He's certainly more likely to invest with Champions League money than he is without it.

Spurs, with peak Kane, peak Son, peak Conte & Champions League money is the threat. Bring in 3 or 4 players of quality a pre season under Conte, and they will be good for 75-80 points next season.

Dimitar09

Just emphasises the absolute incompetence of the people running our club that they appointed Rangnick instead of a proven quality manger like Conte, when he was available.

And to think we were actually ahead of Spurs when we beat them at Old Trafford two months ago, only to go throw it all away and turn into a laughling stock.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
*Chelsea has left the chat*
Thankfully we will not back into 4th place because everybody else lost on the final day. We did bring the drama back in the last two weeks.

I want Spurs so we see if Conte really gets backed in the window. If he doesn’t, next year could be epic!

ti vu

Tottenham highly likely only needs 1 point vs Norwich. So it's pretty much Conte vs Spursy for the last match day for this 4th spot.

Spursy is a worthy opponent for Conte nonetheless.

gajender

Tottenham highly likely only need 1 point vs Norwich. So it's pretty much Conte vs Spursy for the last match day for this 4th spot.

Spursy is a worthy opponent for Conte nonetheless.
Well what you said may very well be the case but I don't thing it would even matter Arsenal aren't getting 3 points against Everton .

BorisManUtd

If West Ham didn't have their Europa League run I think they'd be fighting for that 4th place on last day as well.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I've counted us out the race about 3 times already this season. I don't think we'll beat Newcastle either, in fact with the defence we'll put out we'll probably get beat.

From a Utd point of view, I'd have thought they would have preferred Arsenal to get top 4, because I think Spurs are more equipped with 2 world class forwards & a world class manager ready in place and a more experienced team to really be able to kick on in the next year or so with top 4, whereas I think we'd be more of a slow burn still with a young manager & young squad?
Can’t stand Arsenal, worst fans in the football pyramid. :)

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Yeah spurs really pushed for it, got the right manager and then spent money in January.
Be curious to know where Spurs are placed if you just take the season from when Conte took over. He really is a class act if he squeezes them into fourth with clowns like Winks and Sanchez in the squad.

I think Spurs and Arsenal are very similar, Spurs just have some world class attacking talent that Arsenal does not. Still don't think they will do much in the CL, but then neither would any of the other contenders for that 4th spot.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Be curious to know where Spurs are placed if you just take the season from when Conte took over. He really is a class act if he squeezes them into fourth with clowns like Winks and Sanchez in the squad.

I think Spurs and Arsenal are very similar, Spurs just have some world class attacking talent that Arsenal does not. Still don't think they will do much in the CL, but then neither would any of the other contenders for that 4th spot.
table from January - 18 April

1. Liverpool – 12 games, 32 points, +23 GD.
2. Tottenham – 15 games, 27 points, +16 GD.
3. Newcastle United – 13 games, 26 points, +4 GD.
4. Manchester City – 11 games, 24 points, +13 GD.
5. Wolves – 14 games, 24 points, +6 GD
6. Manchester United – 14 games, 23 points, +4 GD
7. West Ham – 14 games, 21 points, 0 GD
8. Chelsea – 10 games, 20 points, +12 GD
9. Arsenal – 12 games, 19 points, -1 GD
10. Brentford – 15 games, 19 points, -4 GD
11. Southampton – 13 games, 18 points, -5 GD.
12. Leeds – 14 games, 17 points, -12 GD
13. Brighton – 14 games, 16 points, -7 GD
14. Leicester – 12 games, 15 points, -2 GD
15. Crystal Palace – 12 games, 14 points, +3 GD
16. Aston Villa – 13 games, 14 points, 0 GD
17. Burnley – 15 games, 14 points, -10 GD
18. Norwich – 13 games, 11 points, -10 GD
19. Everton – 13 games, 9 points, -11 GD
20. Watford – 15 games, 9 points, -19 GD

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...r-so-far-newcastle-chelsea-liverpool-everton/

Ted Lasso

I definitely think it's moreso that the best 4 managers are finishing top 4.

Not really. All three contenders for 4th spot have been shocking this season. Spurs just had the foresight and ambition in bringing a proper manager in once the Nuno experiment failed. Meanwhile the two banter clubs were managed by Arteta, and Solskjaer/Rangnick - managers that should be managing relegation fodder.
Agree wholeheartedly with the exception on Rangnick, who I firmly believe was tasked with sounding out the rotten apples with top 4 as a half hearted aspiration but not a priority.

AndySmith1990

Yeah well if we'd gone for Conte we wouldn't have ended up with Ten Hag, so things worked out fine. Missing out on 4th is a small price to pay to finally get the right long term manager and begin implementing significant changes at the club

Sviken

Yeah well if we'd gone for Conte we wouldn't have ended up with Ten Hag, so things worked out fine. Missing out on 4th is a small price to pay to finally get the right long term manager and begin implementing significant changes at the club
Yeah, I'm actually happy with how things turned out overall. Obviously Conte is a top 3 manager, but how long is he gonna put up with the clowns in charge of this club? Not very long before an inevitable fallout and he fecks off somewhere. I can't stomach another manager who'll get results for a season and two and then feck off to somewhere else while we have another rebuild. We need our own Klopp/Guardiola who'll stay here for a relatively decent time and lay the foundations for the club's future and Ten Hag is by far the best choice for that.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Yeah, I'm actually happy with how things turned out overall. Obviously Conte is a top 3 manager, but how long is he gonna put up with the clowns in charge of this club? Not very long before an inevitable fallout and he fecks off somewhere. I can't stomach another manager who'll get results for a season and two and then feck off to somewhere else while we have another rebuild. We need our own Klopp/Guardiola who'll stay here for a relatively decent time and lay the foundations for the club's future and Ten Hag is by far the best choice for that.
What's the target for next year then guys? Would you be ok finishing 5th for instance?