The chase for 4th place (not top 4)

croadyman

Think you're going to beat Everton easily as they'll probably be safe by then. Newcastle could, maybe, be tricky, but think their form got worse lately. To have any chance of top 4 Tottenham have to beat you but don't think they will.
Yeah that draw last night for Spurs looks very costly, hard to see Newcastle troubling Arsenal after the beating taken today.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Conte made a huge mistake playing for a point after Liverpool equalized. Being behind by 4 is virtually the same as being behind by 5 right now, so the point did very little for them. Winning would have made a massive difference though.

No idea why nobody in the media is talking about this.
Probably because we didn't play for a draw. We're not banking on you guys doing anything, we just draw away to a significantly superior team at one of the hardest stadia to go to at present. There's nothing for the media to talk about, not like we got pinned back by Norwich at WHL.

If we miss out, its the 1 point from Brentford and Brighton games in April which will cost us, not the point away to Liverpool.

Arsenal definitely in pole position right now.

croadyman

Probably because we didn't play for a draw. We're not banking on you guys doing anything, we just draw away to a significantly superior team at one of the hardest stadia to go to at present. There's nothing for the media to talk about, not like we got pinned back by Norwich at WHL.

If we miss out, its the 1 point from Brentford and Brighton games in April which will cost us, not the point away to Liverpool.

Yeah losing to Brighton was huge, you needed to learn from Arsenal's defeat to them and Brentford draw compounded it

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

I think you tried to slow the game down after Diaz scored. Seemed to me like Conte was fine with the point at that stage.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I think you tried to slow the game down after Diaz scored. Seemed to me like Conte was fine with the point at that stage.
Sánchez for Sessegnon and Winks for Kulu are definitely substitutions of a manager looking to preserve a point.

Irwin99

Had a sneaky feeling Spurs would do it and although it's still out of their hands, I think Arsenal will feck up against Newcastle leaving Spurs to get 4th.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Arsenal should and still will get it

At least watching them get battered every game in the UCL next season will be fun

BorisManUtd

So as it stands:

4. Arsenal 66 points
5. Spurs 65 points

Arsenal have Newcastle (A) and Everton (H) in their last 2 games. Tottenham have Burnley (H) and Norwich (A).

Tonight was a big win for Tottenham but Arsenal won't care much if they win their last 2 games. Newcastle are on holiday already, while Everton should be safe by the time they come to Emirates.

OmarUnited4ever

Arsenal got Newcastle away and then Everton at home.

Spurs got Burnly at home the Norwich away.

seems like Arsenal got tougher games but it's still theirs to lose (4th spot)

Guy Incognito

It's been a low-quality race considering both sides just play once a week.

Think Spurs should've sown this up weeks ago when they hit form, they've got the better attackers and that usually makes the difference.

Kaushal

No chance Arsenal are winning against Geordie Arabia. Those rabid wannabe sheikhs will be up for it for their last home game. Spurs will get top 4. Sure of it.

Castia

Arsenal are going to bottle this

They will probably be 5th by the time they play Newcastle away on Monday under huge pressure

OneUnited24

Arsenal should and still will get it

At least watching them get battered every game in the UCL next season will be fun
Depends how bad arsenals injury list is. I heard a few went off limping. Would be great if they didn’t get there, if only for that all or nothing documentary !

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Had a sneaky feeling Spurs would do it and although it's still out of their hands, I think Arsenal will feck up against Newcastle leaving Spurs to get 4th.
Agreed. Newcastle well worth a bet on Monday, indeed draw isn't really good enough for Arsenal as early goal and Spurs will beat Burnley comfortably.

el3mel

I honestly can't believe that we are 7 whole points away from 5th spot while playing one game more than Spurs. I know we have been absolute shit but this season is an all time new low. We can finish away from 5th spot by whole 10 points, forget top 4.

Morpheus 7

Standard to get 4th is shocking, I've always said you don't have to be good to get 4th. Just least shit, both teams could Spurs this up yet. It's just about getting a run going at the last third.

Side note, Arteta is useless too. He'll never get Arsenal properly back to competing. A sneaking 4th every few years is his ceiling. Not good for them long term, need a different direction.

croadyman

Arsenal got Newcastle away and then Everton at home.

Spurs got Burnly at home the Norwich away.

seems like Arsenal got tougher games but it's still theirs to lose (4th spot)
Yeah really depends how they respond without Holding and probably Gabriel too

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Standard to get 4th is shocking, I've always said you don't have to be good to get 4th. Just least shit, both teams could Spurs this up yet. It's just about getting a run going at the last third.

Side note, Arteta is useless too. He'll never get Arsenal properly back to competing. A sneaking 4th every few years is his ceiling. Not good for them long term, need a different direction.
Arteta's lack of experience showed today. Glad he signed a new contract. This bodes well for us.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
How long does everyone think it’ll take Newcastle to reach the point where they’re included in the conversation? Probably not next season but maybe 2023/24?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
How long does everyone think it’ll take Newcastle to reach the point where they’re included in the conversation? Probably not next season but maybe 2023/24?
Might be top 5 by then some years with new Champions League format?

AndySmith1990

Arsenal, Spurs, and (until recently) United battling it out to see who is the least shit was a laugh while it lasted. Its like 3 scrawny losers rolling around on the floor pulling each others hair in a fight to the death, with the winner earning a fight against Tyson Fury. You're qualifying for something you've got no chance of winning, but it's all about the exposure and the prize money

Wilt

Arsenal, Spurs, and (until recently) United battling it out to see who is the least shit was a laugh while it lasted. Its like 3 scrawny losers rolling around on the floor pulling each others hair in a fight to the death, with the winner earning a fight against Tyson Fury. You're qualifying for something you've got no chance of winning, but it's all about the exposure and the prize money
I‘d include Chelsea as well ….the gap between City, Pool and the rest is staggering

Ludens the Red

apt description.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Points needed to get the top four this season is likely to be higher this season and closer to the normal average. The last two seasons have been poor by comparison. I wonder if we get back to needing 75+ in the near future given the league has more strong sides than ever

21/22 currently on 66pts with two to play, potentially 72pts
20/21 67pts
19/20 66pts
18/19 71pts
17/18 75pts
16/17 76pts

Mike Smalling

Exactly. And which one of these clubs has actually managed to build on qualifying through 4th spot and push on to challenge for the league? And I include Man Utd in that, of course.

Having a quality manager and a project to believe in is so much more important - CL will come if you have that.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Everyone seems to think Spurs will get it, but I have a feeling Burnley with put a sh*thouse performance together. Additionally, never forget, 'lads, it's Tottenham'.

allen7

Well said and the fact Arsenal has lost more games than the ‘Worst united side’ ever proves that.
Even if it hurts, united missing out is actually good in terms of team building, implementing tactics, trying youngsters with PL to concentrate. In future if we’re to qualify then the team should be capable of reaching last 8 round.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Depends on how aggressively they spend etc but I’d think top 8 finish bring the goal next season and a push for top 4 in 23/24 yeah - probably missing out.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well said and the fact Arsenal has lost more games than the ‘Worst united side’ ever proves that.
Even if it hurts, united missing out is actually good in terms of team building, implementing tactics, trying youngsters with PL to concentrate. In future if we’re to qualify then the team should be capable of reaching last 8 round.
Villareal qualified for the last 4 & Benfica the last 8. You only got beat by Villareal in the Europa League final on the lottery of penalties, we were the width of a post knocking them out of the semi's. A lot depends on the draw, and you need a fair amount of luck as well.

It's a cup competition after all, the best teams don't always win it.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Villareal qualified for the last 4 & Benfica the last 8. You only got beat by Villareal in the Europa League final on the lottery of penalties, we were the width of a post knocking them out of the semi's. A lot depends on the draw, and you need a fair amount of luck as well.

It's a cup competition after all, the best teams don't always win it.
We (Chelsea) scraped through to the CL by the skin of our teeth and then won the CL, as you say you don’t have to be the best side on paper

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Arsenal probably would choke at Newcastle if Spurs beat Burnley. But Spurs won’t beat Burnley. Watch.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal probably would choke at Newcastle if Spurs beat Burnley. But Spurs won’t beat Burnley. Watch.
I think Spurs will win their 2 games and we'll draw at Newcastle. We just needed to not lose yesterday to cover for it. This is going to be painful to come so close.

allen7

I think Spurs will win their 2 games and we'll draw at Newcastle. We just needed to not lose yesterday to cover for it. This is going to be painful to come so close.
Arsenal will get top 4. You both will win 1 and draw 1 match with the points as it stands.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Going to be really annoying to miss out on top four in the second last gameweek.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I've counted us out the race about 3 times already this season. I don't think we'll beat Newcastle either, in fact with the defence we'll put out we'll probably get beat.

From a Utd point of view, I'd have thought they would have preferred Arsenal to get top 4, because I think Spurs are more equipped with 2 world class forwards & a world class manager ready in place and a more experienced team to really be able to kick on in the next year or so with top 4, whereas I think we'd be more of a slow burn still with a young manager & young squad?