The chase for 4th place (not top 4)

Cathy Ferguson

How the heck have we got to a position where we've played 4 games more than Arsenal, and are 2 points only ahead.

Just baffling in every shape or form.

Sort of still want them to stop Liverpool though, but lose every other game forever.
We have conceded 40 goals. Palace and Burnley have each conceded 38 goals. Mindboggling.

Lost too many points against Watford, Villa, Soton, Burnley and Everton to mention a few.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
United needs a real collapse from Arsenal to have a chance.

L1nk

United needs a real collapse from Arsenal to have a chance.
Well, whilst improbable considering their form true, they do still have to play Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool, Us and West Ham. We obviously have to keep up the pressure ourselves, but it's not over till it's over!

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well, whilst improbable considering their form true, they do still have to play Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool, Us and West Ham. We obviously have to keep up the pressure ourselves, but it's not over till it's over!
If we can beat Leicester tomorrow, I reckon we would need to just win 5 games from our last 12. That would take us to a minimum of 66 points. I'm not sure I see Utd or Spurs getting more than that unless either go on a massive winning streak.

L1nk

If we can beat Leicester tomorrow, I reckon we would need to just win 5 games from our last 12. That would take us to a minimum of 66 points. I'm not sure I see Utd or Spurs getting more than that unless either go on a massive winning streak.
Nah, we've nobody but ourselves to blame if we miss out on top 4, and considering the form you are in I honestly see you comfortably making that top 4. Just not giving up yet, feel like if you do fall to Liverpool for example, and we beat you, i'm hoping maybe the momentum could shift

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Arsenal's to lose.

All our own doing both with Ole and after.

I think people are underestimating how easily games in hand can amount to nothing if it just means constantly playing every three days.

They should be able to squad manage around it at times (e.g. don't bother with Pool since they'll beat us as well,etc) but hopefully it will make them drop "easy points", like our 5 to Watford.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Leicester is a must win for Arsenal. As if Arsenal can we can go into the Liverpool game with a degree of confidence it can be done. Most are assuming our home game to Liverpool is a write off. Im not so sure, I just think we are capable denting Liverpool's title challenge.

One thing that happened tonight, was Tottenham have been all but eliminated from the race. Granted they have two games in hand on United with a 5 point deficit, so a place above United it still in Spurs hands technically, but there is no margin for error for Spurs. Spurs right now are chasing both Arsenal and Man United. Its too much to be able to chase two teams successfully

Im still confident we will take 4th spot. We can de-facto do it this week if we beat Leicester and Liverpool. But 0 or 1 points and then its neck and neck again with United.

This Week if Arsenal take 6 points - 4th is ours. 4 points - massive stride forward. 3 points - par score. 2 points - workable. 1 point - not good. 0 points - our cage is rattled.

Devil’s Trident

Nobody is crossing the 70 point mark in my opinion not even arsenal. It will be probably 68-69 points that will get you fourth. Looking at the fixtures united need to get 6 wins out of 9 from here as the other three fixtures are against Chelsea , pool and arsenal. Easier said than done given how poor we have been infront of goal. But we really need to win against Leicester (h), Everton, Brentford(h), Norwich(h), Brighton, Palace. Even if we get 16 points out of possible 18 and get 3-4 points from Chelsea, Arsenal, liverpool we would get the 4th place. I expect Arsenal to combust.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Leicester is a must win for Arsenal. As if Arsenal can we can go into the Liverpool game with a degree of confidence it can be done. Most are assuming our home game to Liverpool is a write off. Im not so sure, I just think we are capable denting Liverpool's title challenge.

One thing that happened tonight, was Tottenham have been all but eliminated from the race. Granted they have two games in hand on United with a 5 point deficit, so a place above United it still in Spurs hands technically, but there is no margin for error for Spurs. Spurs right now are chasing both Arsenal and Man United. Its too much to be able to chase two teams successfully

Im still confident we will take 4th spot. We can de-facto do it this week if we beat Leicester and Liverpool. But 0 or 1 points and then its neck and neck again with United.

This Week if Arsenal take 6 points - 4th is ours. 4 points - massive stride forward. 3 points - par score. 2 points - workable. 1 point - not good. 0 points - our cage is rattled.
I don't really get this logic. Spurs have the easiest fixtures of everyone in the race. The reality is they are capable of getting 4 points from their 2 games, which would put them 1 point behind United with an easier set of games.

I think Spurs are as in the race as United are.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Arsenal's to lose now. They are in a great position and I think Utd need to win almost all of their games to stand a chance

NewYorkRed

That wolves collapse against arsenal could prove to be huge. We need them to lose or draw today, a win would be a massive boost for them. That said i fully expect them to bottle it, because, well, it’s arsenal.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I've been saying United will get top 4 for a while now and I'm still convinced that'll happen.

cyberman

Chelsea need to be careful. They have a game in hand v Arsenal coming up and still need to go to OT.
Not saying they’re in the race just yet but if their heads drop at all they could be looking back nervously

Remember the geese

Chelsea need to be careful. They have a game in hand v Arsenal coming up and still need to go to OT.
Not saying they’re in the race just yet but if their heads drop at all they could be looking back nervously
They've been there for the taking for quite a few months. Unfortunately we haven't capitalized.

ShinjiNinja26

We could really do with Leicester beating Arsenal later, although you never know what Leicester will turn up these days. The way this seasons going it will be the shite version who get swept aside with ease.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We could really do with Leicester beating Arsenal later, although you never know what Leicester will turn up these days. The way this seasons going it will be the shite version who get swept aside with ease.
Vardy is injured again, he usually scores at Emirates.

Does seem everything is falling in place for Arsenal currently with fixtures and stuff. Leicester played on Thursday of course and winning that competition is their best chance of being in europa next season.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal should have play those 4 games in the space of a week. That's insane that they've been allowed to postpone that many games
Some people really don't research or think before they post things.

Can you explain your logic here?

We had 1 game postponed, against Spurs.

Every other game was postponed due to the other team.

choccy77

Anyone know why Chelsea are wearing World Club Badge, when usually PL don't allow it.

crossy1686

career ending
Some people really don't research or think before they post things.

Can you explain your logic here?

We had 1 game postponed, against Spurs.

Every other game was postponed due to the other team.
My logic? Because I want you to finish below United so we can finish 4th. What are you bringing logic into things for?

choccy77

They decided to allow it this year, probably just to piss off Liverpool
Well, that's fair :lol:

But PL always been useless idiots by not allowing it.

Why wouldn't you want the world to see one of your leagues teams as the Best in the world.... its good advertising.

Levi1

Chelsea have been underperforming for a while too. We've just been dropping points every week. For now, we could still finish above them, but will require the winning of some football games

NewYorkRed

Arsenal have slightly tougher games left than us, although we do have to play Chelsea. We could realllly do with a Leicester win today so in typical brenda style I expect arse to cruise to a 1-0 win.

Mike Smalling

Arsenal's games in hand will be enough for them to build a healthy lead that we won't be able to catch. The Burnley, Southampton and Watford draws killed us.

Chief123

Not a chance we are finishing 4th ahead of Arsenal now.

I keep seeing “Arsenal have got tough fixtures”. Do you realise we still have Liverpool and Chelsea to play? If we lose them 2 games as expected, Arsenal can afford to lose 6 games in total. :lol:

It’s done lads. Stop dreaming.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Arsenal will get it with a few games to spare. They have no distractions and are actually playing well, and consistently. They have a good group now of players all building together and seem a lot happier and that goes a long way. Would need a pretty big collapse for them to fail now.

NewYorkRed

Not a chance we are finishing 4th ahead of Arsenal now.

I keep seeing “Arsenal have got tough fixtures”. Do you realise we still have Liverpool and Chelsea to play? If we lose them 2 games as expected, Arsenal can afford to lose 6 games in total. :lol:

It’s done lads. Stop dreaming.
It is definitely not done at all. Football is all about momentum and you never know, we may have caught fire yesterday and arsenal could go in a slump. They’re a young team so if its 4ish points with a couple games to go they could crack under pressure.

lex talionis

I apologize for asking a dumb question but I might as well rip the bandage and ask it now rather than remain mired in doubt through the end of the season.

If City, Liverpool or Chelsea win the CL this season — in no way an inconceivable possibility —would that allow the fifth place PL club to sneak into the CL next season?

Chief123

I apologize for asking a dumb question but I might as well rip the bandage and ask it now rather than remain mired in doubt through the end of the season.

If City, Liverpool or Chelsea win the CL this season — in no way an inconceivable possibility —would that allow the fifth place PL club to sneak into the CL next season?
No it won’t. That can only happen if the winner of the UCL finishes outside top 4. Basically we would need to win the UCL for it to happen :lol:

NewYorkRed

Yes that is correct. Just the thought of one of them winning makes me want to puke.

Edit: sorry no I’m wrong. Chief explained it right

AshRK

Arsenal will get the top 4 unless they have a massive collapse. The dropped points against Watford Burnley Soton have killed our chances.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Most years I'm pretty optimistic of a top 4 finish at this stage of the season but not this, we've wasted half a season with RR in charge who's improved nothing (in fact more players form has got worse since he came in), games we do win we're often 2nd best like yesterday against Spurs whereas Arsenal and even Spurs are far more deserving of their wins when they do

At this stage I just hope we finish outside of any of the European spots