The chase for 4th place (not top 4)

ti vu

Unpopular opinion I'm sure but without CL, EL is a good place to be despite how everyone feels about it. It can be used to give youth and squad players experience in Europe. It would be foolish for us to miss out on European competition completely.
We have enough EL experience in the past few seasons to see through this myth, if we choose to ignore the evidence from other clubs.

We didn't really give our youth a proper chance. Our starters still ended up playing a lot especially in later round. Doesn't improve our level when we're back into CL.

Teams with 'eritage' in EL like Sevilla is not powerhouse in CL despite the excuse from Mourinho. The like of De Ligt, F.de Jong did well in CL because of their quality and experience being the starter in all competition. Not because the exclusive experience in EL.

What the point of young players who unlikely to make it as first team player, let alone starter to gain EL experience, when there is a trade off with playing Thursday and Sunday/Monday? Trim the squad, sending young players on loan would do more good than a handful of EL games where the managers don't know his young players and his opposition well enough.

When you're in EL, you will have to have desire and the mean to go all the way, or it's pointless having your schedule shuffled. With the creation of ECL, getting out has become more difficult because you have to endure the embrassment of finishing bottom of the group, to wash your hand off this competition mid season.

So it's better to not be in it from the beginning.

carty

Supports
liverpool
Shame United have picked up some poor results lately as it would have put Chelsea under a bit of pressure. They are not looking to good at the moment and there squad could be stretched a bit being still in the FA cup and Champions League.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Am I right im saying 5th gets UCL if an english team wins it?
Only if they win either CL or EL.

If an English team were to finish 5th but win the Champions League, and another English team who finish outside the top 4 win the Europa, the team in 4th does not qualify for the Champions League.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
We have enough EL experience in the past few seasons to see through this myth, if we choose to ignore the evidence from other clubs.

We didn't really give our youth a proper chance. Our starters still ended up playing a lot especially in later round. Doesn't improve our level when we're back into CL.

Teams with 'eritage' in EL like Sevilla is not powerhouse in CL despite the excuse from Mourinho. The like of De Ligt, F.de Jong did well in CL because of their quality and experience being the starter in all competition. Not because the exclusive experience in EL.

What the point of young players who unlikely to make it as first team player, let alone starter to gain EL experience, when there is a trade off with playing Thursday and Sunday/Monday? Trim the squad, sending young players on loan would do more good than a handful of EL games where the managers don't know his young players and his opposition well enough.

When you're in EL, you will have to have desire and the mean to go all the way, or it's pointless having your schedule shuffled. With the creation of ECL, getting out has become more difficult because you have to endure the embrassment of finishing bottom of the group, to wash your hand off this competition mid season.

So it's better to not be in it from the beginning.
I am not sure about others but to me if there is a chance to win something, anything, even a league cup or community sheild would be nice for the fans and also cheer up the players too.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I am not sure about others but to me if there is a chance to win something, anything, even a league cup or community sheild would be nice for the fans and also cheer up the players too.
I'd take anything currently. Fantastic days out if nothing else.

ti vu

I don't disagree about that if you really go for the trophy. Which involve big investment on our squad current condition.

I don't think it's worth it for us, this coming season with the huge squad building task and a World Cup mid season. It's likely more difficult than usual, especially without good foundation to rely in auto pilot mode.

Last edited:

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Knowing us this season, we'll somehow find a way to feck up finishing 8th and end up in 7th, in the bastard conference league.

It truly is a season from hell!

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
I hope it's not 7th. It's amazing how Uefa managed to make and even less interesting competition than Europa League.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Having only domestic competitions really helped Arsenal this year. We’ve been able to transition to the 433 that Arteta has always wanted to play. It required work in the transfer market - but also work on the training ground - which our lighter schedule afforded us.

I don’t mind the EL. For me it’s a second tier comp that I wanted us to win when we were in it. Plus it qualifies you for the CL. The ECL is step to far for me, though. It’s literally a third rate cup. From personal experience, I’d rather finish 8th. Twice.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
United have no conviction in its game. Arsenal found theirs a while back - Spurs have certainly found it since March.
Both Arsenal & Spurs will fight to the finish.

What makes this even more interesting is Chelsea could get dragged into this if they drop their levels.
If Arsenal win over Palace today then they will be 2 pts away from Chelsea with a game in hand and they play Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in 3 weeks.

Spurs look to have the best fixture list of the 3 but they need both Chelsea
& Arsenal to drop points. Pressure is on now - lets see how this all plays out.
Spurs looked very good in the second half and your new signings are excellent additions to the team. It looks like it will be very close run thing. Also, if Arsenal beat Chelsea it could be even more interesting!!!.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Spurs looked very good in the second half and your new signings are excellent additions to the team. It looks like it will be very close run thing. Also, if Arsenal beat Chelsea it could be even more interesting!!!.
I won't bet my money on Arsenal win over Chelsea. Arsenal has been extremely consistent losing against big 6.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
United still not the far away and mathematically still in with a great chance.

Could be any of us Arsenal or United each team are as inconsistent as each other.

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
Arteta had 16 days to prepare for this Palace game, with many staying behind to work with in international break. And they lose 0-3.
2 loss in 3 games-Pressure is on Arsenal now

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

Could be any of us Arsenal or United each team are as inconsistent as each other.
I'm fairly optimistic generally with Utd mate and I'd be surprised if we won more than 2/3 games for the rest of the season.

Will be a case of who is the least shit as always gets 4th. Loads of dropped points etc.

MUFC OK

We’re not beating Everton. Early kickoff guarantees that, can’t remember the last time we won one of those.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The difference is even Arsenal can take a beating like tonight and put it to one side and recover for the next one

With us we can't even build on an unconvincing win (Spurs)

Infra-red

Nah. Our players have chucked it. Arsenal (six wins in eight) and Spurs (six wins in eight) have more momentum than United (three wins in eight), too.

I think we'll do well to win more than two or three of our final eight.

choccy77

Top 4 chase blown wide open as I thought would happen tonight.

United win remaining fixtures they could just scrape through.

Time for these boys to step up and prove worthy of the Jersey.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Other teams dropping points is all well and good but the odds are we’ll struggle against Everton, manage to lose at home to Norwich and then get pummelled by Liverpool.

Deery

Dreary
Definitely still have a chance 3 points behind Tottenham with 8 games left, be wonderful if Ronaldo could get us 4th place.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

:lol:

Devil’s Trident

As shit as it is it’s not over. Arsenal terrible run starts from here. Watch them lose points from now on. Just trust me over this one.

Starting from Leicester, they are facing Liverpool at home , villa and palace away then Brighton home and Southampton away. From these 6 fixtures , I can guarantee you all they are dropping 8-10 points .
After that they are facing us at home and West Ham away, losing 3 more points minimum. After that they still have to face spurs and chelsea.

Quote me if you like but I’m very very sure of that. It’s all about how we deal with it. We need to get on a 4-5 match winning run. But Arsenal are gonna fall, believe me.
They will start dropping points regularly from here on I’m willing to put my neck on the line for it. Whether we take advantage or not it’s another matter. I’m repeating myself from the other thread but I’m convinced they will drop 8-10 points in the next 6 games and then they have to deal with Chelsea, spurs, Man Utd, West Ham. Their inconsistent run starts now. Mark my words.
My prediction going well so far :D. Just need to drop some points v Brighton or Southampton and they will be right back in it. Come on Arsenal Lego Pep:drool:

Cole9

Gimme some of whatever this guy is smoking.

RedDevilRoshi

Take it you haven’t watched us that much this season?

choccy77

Haha, I know it's a stretch, but factually it can still happen.

It's very unlikely we can even beat Everton so that will be the end of it.

tomaldinho1

Haha, I know it's a stretch, but factually it can still happen.

It's very unlikely we can even beat Everton so that will be the end of it.
Remember though the fixture lists have fecked Everton over and they play this Weds as well so I’m hopeful we can actually win a game. There’s life in the old dog yet.

croadyman

Haha do you really see us winning at Emirates, Anfield even places like Goodison and Selhurst Park because I don't

Deery

Dreary
Gimme some of whatever this guy is smoking.
Take it you haven’t watched us that much this season?

No chance. Nobody cares.
Come on guys there definitely is a good chance there, it’s not like we have been losing or getting tanked. We usually should win if we put our chances away, really need to take our chances from now till the end of the season.

Maybe drop some points but it’s not a forgone conclusion.

RedDevilRoshi

Come on guys there definitely is a good chance there, it’s not like we have been losing or getting tanked. We usually should win if we put our chances away, really need to take our chances from now till the end of the season.

Maybe drop some points but it’s not a forgone conclusion.
I’d love to be proven wrong but I just cannot trust these group of players to deliver when the opportunity arises.

ti vu

If we're capable to win the remaining fixtures, we wouldn't have been in this position to begin with.

Also no consistency whatsoever. A great result in one of those difficult game can easily undone by dropping point to a lesser team.

I am more inclined to trust stranger now, more than I trust this lot playing for the shirt/badge.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We would be ahead of them if we hadn't missed open goals and other sitters a month or two ago.

Now its too late, the players don't give a shit anymore, not that they did much before.