The Club Crest

Redrage

These to wallpapers are sex decorativeed. Oh and I love your entire flickr collection. Great stuff matey, thanks a lot.

Spoony

The People's President
They'd look better in gold than that awful yellow we use now though.

I must admit, I prefer the white background on the crest too. Looks more striking - especially from a distance.

As for the cheapo new crests, they were used on last season's away and third kits too.

Anyway, what do you reckon of this version then (click for 1680x1050 version):

Looks good. I wish the current one looked like that. The stars look a bit dodgy as if they were just plonked on top of the crest.

decorativeed

Looks good. I wish the current one looked like that. The stars look a bit dodgy as if they were just plonked on top of the crest.
On my wallpaper? I wasn't sure where/how to place them really. Curved or in a straight line, or whether they should be all the same size or not. I prefer the crest without them to be honest.

2x G.N. Sweepstake Winner, Apprentice Winner 2013
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place.
On my wallpaper? I wasn't sure where/how to place them really. Curved or in a straight line, or whether they should be all the same size or not. I prefer the crest without them to be honest.
Would it be possible for you to upload a version without the white background but keeping the stars please? I've got the one without the stars as my bg and I have to say I love your work!

MiamiSpartan

Forgive me but I think United were run like a business certainly under Martin and Louis Edwards.

I understand what you mean though.
Yes, it was run as a business prior to 1998, but it was still a football club run as a business. The removal of "football club" made into a business with football being merely one of their products. Manchester United became a brand first, football club second.

I have only bought one piece of official merchandise since, a Treble T-shirt, which I justified purely because of the monumental nature of that event.

I almost bought a knock off shirt that I saw at kiosk in a mall here in the states. It had the old crest with the AIG logo. Almost bought that just for the comedy of it. Instead, I opted for an even better knock off. It's what was supposed to be a Manchester United T-shirt, but instead has the FCUM logo of all things. Nearly shit my pants seeing a FCUM logo on a shirt in a mall in the US. :lol:

Spoony

The People's President
Probably a very silly question this, but how come that Moscow shirt has 3 stars when we won our third in Moscow?
Probably retailed after the final. Not that I can recall ever seeing them during my weekly pilgrimage to the Megastore.

Red Norse

Wonderful read that, props to the OP. Forgive my ignorance, but I've never understood the symbolism behind the devil. I do love it though. Somebody care to expand on the matter?

decorativeed

It's a bit of a controversial subject really. The fact is that United adopted the Red Devils nickname under Matt Busby (the actual period when this happened seems to be something that no-one can agree on, but Jimmy Murphy's biography names their first post-war United team as "the Red Devils", although it was obviously written much later). Apparently it was because he had heard the name used in reference to the Salford City Reds rugby side.

The devil was used on club souvenirs and programmes in the sixties before being incorporated into the crest in 1970.

Red Norse

It's a bit of a controversial subject really. The fact is that United adopted the Red Devils nickname under Matt Busby (the actual period when this happened seems to be something that no-one can agree on, but Jimmy Murphy's biography names their first post-war United team as "the Red Devils", although it was obviously written much later). Apparently it was because he had heard the name used in reference to the Salford City Reds rugby side.

The devil was used on club souvenirs and programmes in the sixties before being incorporated into the crest in 1970.
Thanks again :) Have to say I don't know much about Salford rugby, but I somehow thought there was some other reasoning behind it. Still, love the info you're providing. Gold for ignorant noggies ;)

RedLars

If anyone wants to use it for anything else, I could upload just the crest as a png.
This is my new wallpaper, it's perfect. Thank you very much!

And I also added you as a contact to follow your photostream, so keep 'em coming :)

Dyslexic Untied

You say this in your opening post:

In 1993, again there was a minor change - the white lettering was replaced by gold, as was the red ship:

Yet the picture above it, from 94 has white lettering. Care to explain? Great thread btw.

decorativeed

You say this in your opening post:

In 1993, again there was a minor change - the white lettering was replaced by gold, as was the red ship:

Yet the picture above it, from 94 has white lettering. Care to explain? Great thread btw.
That was the 1992-94 home shirt. The design of that shirt (and the NH style third kit also produced in 1992) did not change, but kits brought out after the summer of 1993 (such as the 1993-95 black away one in the photo below) had the new badges with the gold lettering.

Sonny Feehan

I went to just about all United games in the sixties but I just don't recall ever using or being aware of the Red Devils nickname during that time. Maybe just getting senile.
Is it true that the City of Manchester crest was abandoned because of the detail involved or was it just used for cup finals?
I liked the old programme logo with the fan shaking hands with the player across a football, a symbolism that,sadly, seems a bit dated now.
Great thread. Thanks

decorativeed

I went to just about all United games in the sixties but I just don't recall ever using or being aware of the Red Devils nickname during that time. Maybe just getting senile.
Is it true that the City of Manchester crest was abandoned because of the detail involved or was it just used for cup finals?
I liked the old programme logo with the fan shaking hands with the player across a football, a symbolism that,sadly, seems a bit dated now.
Great thread. Thanks
I agree with that part, a shame to lose that bit of tradition.

As for not using the city arms after 1968, I think it was just because we'd developed our own crest in the middle of the 8 year gap between us appearing in cup finals. Not sure really. The coat of arms was never used outside of a cup final anyway.

I've heard City fans saying that "you have to ask for permission to use the Manchester coat of arms on your shirts" in a dig at us being based outside the city boundaries, but apparently any organisation (whether from within Manchester or not) has to do the same. It must have been so long that they forgot, I suppose!

Red Norse

Great thread. Thanks
How do you remember Red Devils becoming a common nick then? It's incredible to think that it might have snuck up on the fans from an unknown source. I'm just 34 so I've always thought of the club as the Red Devils.

Sonny Feehan

How do you remember Red Devils becoming a common nick then? It's incredible to think that it might have snuck up on the fans from an unknown source. I'm just 34 so I've always thought of the club as the Red Devils.
Not quite sure what you mean. I'm about twice your age and I remember a lot about the fifties and sixties but I just don't remember United ever being referred to as the Red Devils during that period. I'm not saying they weren't.Maybe some of the other old farts on here can help me out.

Red Norse

Not quite sure what you mean. I'm about twice your age and I remember a lot about the fifties and sixties but I just don't remember United ever being referred to as the Red Devils during that period. I'm not saying they weren't.Maybe some of the other old farts on here can help me out.
Just find it puzzling that there's no clear reason behind such a famous nick name, that's all.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Much enjoy this read, always fun to observe these types of things, cheers for this !

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I wasn't a match going Red in the 1960's but I have a 1957 publication about the Busby Babes and it refers to the Red Devils on the cover. So from an historical perspective we have a reference point from that era.

Interestingly. in 1910, our nickname was 'The Units'. I am not sure where it came from.....possibly an abbreviation of 'United' but it is referenced in an old programme of the day.

This interests me quite a bit so I will do some research with all my memorabilia and see what comes up.

decorativeed

I wasn't a match going Red in the 1960's but I have a 1957 publication about the Busby Babes and it refers to the Red Devils on the cover. So from an historical perspective we have a reference point from that era.

Interestingly. in 1910, our nickname was 'The Units'. I am not sure where it came from.....possibly an abbreviation of 'United' but it is referenced in an old programme of the day.

This interests me quite a bit so I will do some research with all my memorabilia and see what comes up.
I thought back in the early days they were refered to as simply "The United", rather than "The Units". I have a few facsimile newspaper reports and I've never read the later phrase in any of them.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I thought back in the early days they were refered to as simply "The United", rather than "The Units". I have a few facsimile newspaper reports and I've never read the later phrase in any of them.
In the United v Liverpool programme of February 1910...the back page covers United's recent game against Newcastle. SW Gibbons, who was also the publisher of the programme, wrote his piece on the back page and is quoted thus:

"Last Saturday, Newcastle, in the first forty-five were our superiors, but at the finish the Units were easily the masters of the situation and building the flame of fire when three goals behind speaks volumes for the ability and stamina of the Reds."

So it seems that we were called both 'The Units' and 'The Reds' back in 1910.

As I said....I will do a little digging over the next few days and see what surfaces.

ludvik

War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left.

One of my favorites. Not sure why they dropped it. Was a huge success, and not one single player complained about it ever. It was a struggle to get the shirts in for washing, though. Must have been the smell that was this crest's downfall. Sigh.

decorativeed

Is that from the reprint given out at the Fulham match or from the actual original? I ask only because the centenary reprint seems to be a modern reproduction (using re-written text in a modern DTP style) rather than a straight scanned-in type of thing (if you understand what I mean). Was wondering if it was a missprint possibly...?