The Conundrum Of That Third Midfield Role

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Can someone explain the intended role of the third midfield position in our team this season? It seems like a problem spot with players like Mctominay and Mainoo struggling to make an impact there. What is ETH's vision for this position and are the players just not the right fit? I believe it was meant for Mason Mount, but we haven't been able to see it in action yet.
For the record, I think both Mainoo and Mctominay have been great in their own ways the season.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The three midfielders need to be cohesive but what ends up happening is Bruno drifts and usually mainoo sits so the third midfielder is left in no man's land and often gets bypassed with a simple 1/2 or dribble.

Then you look at the players we've played there like mctom or eriksen they lack the mental or physical side to their game to hold down a spot in a top team.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Ideal signing would probably be someone like FdJ next to Mainoo, with a DM holding behind them. So essentially a (mobile) DM partnered with 2 box to box CM’s.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think you need a left back with Dalot’s intelligence and willingness to play on the inside rather than the overlap plus a left winger willing to take his defensive duties seriously to survive the set up Ten Hag is putting out there. Also get good at tactical fouls when the opponent is breaking at pace.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need two starting midfielders. Both Bruno and the 6 are a problem. Mainoo is the only one that looks good for the future.

dutchred

We need two starting midfielders. Both Bruno and the 6 are a problem. Mainoo is the only one that looks good for the future.
Bruno, Mason or Amad are fine as the attacking midfileder. The issue is the "Casemiro" role. He is not dynamic or quick enough. We need a younger (Rice type) player. I think Onana at everton would be a good fit

Reyoji-Utd

We need first build the defense, have 2 CBs that are athletics, fast, strong, can cover vast areas, good technical that can play and get out of the back to a good level. Then we can build the MF that comprise of 3 that can compliments each others and elevate each others.

With Bruno and Rashford, we can only be a counter attack or transition team but we couldnt play that becasue of our CBs do not possess the the qualities to cover the areas and leave big gaps when teams counter us.

Its best we have focal of Mainoo, with a DM that can screen the areas behind the 2 MFs. DM that fast, strong, cover vast areas and just play it simple to release the ball to the others. That DM and CBs will be the the backbone that enable the attacking players to move up top more and suffocate the opponents and still be able to defends against quick break or counter.

I think no matter who we go for in MF, if we cant find the right CBs to form good backbome we wont be really challenging.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think if we had prime Cas then it could work, but right now the system is asking way too much from our two "holding" MF's and as a result other teams just stroll past our midfield. There is too much distance between our midfield and defense and our wingers are not involved enough so we constantly end up in 1v3 scenarios down the middle.

If ETH manages to survive the season by some miracle then sorting this out should be our number 1 priority. I know some fans love to hate him, but Bruno isnt the problem. As far as no 10's go his defensive workrate is pretty good

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The midfield ideally is one where there's a midfielder at the base of the midfield as the #6. A midfielder who is box to box and also can drop deeper in the build up phase with the 3rd midfielder being the attacking midfielder.

So what we're missing is the #6 to balance things out with Mainoo in a box to box role where he drops deeper in the build up phase and pushes higher up when we advance over the half way line with Mount as the attacking midfielder.

So you have a #6 who sits deeper and stays positionally disciplined. #6/#8 who comes deeper in the build up phase but advances forward and a #8/#10 who is afforded a little bit more freedom higher up the pitch.

On paper the midfield three below looks balanced and I'd also add someone like Amadou Onana to that because he can be utilised in all three roles in his own unique way and has the ability to play on the turn, dribble and pass under pressure whilst raising the level by dominating the aerial and ground duels. He's not someone who will dictate a game but he looks as if he has the ability to make the system click.

#6 - Alan Varela
#6/#8 - Mainoo
AM - Bruno, Mount, Amad

I think Amad in a advanced central attacking role could have potential as @dutchred alluded to in his post above. And if you can also have the option of someone like Amadou Onana to provide variety and depth to the midfield positions where he can be utilised in all three roles, then I think that would be good options going into next season as far as the composition of the midfield is concerned.

And then I want to see who the CBs are going into next season and it'll be interesting to see who we sign and what happens with Wily Kambwala who is of the correct profile but may need a loan.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
ETH wants to be like Pep and have 2 attacking midfielders, with 1 central one. But Pep can do that for three reasons:
1. City have a defensive line made to compress the pitch, so there are never spaces in midfield (and when they are, city look threatened)
2. City have Kyle Walker, who is kind of a cheat code against the ball over the top
3. Stones is able to essentially move into midfield with a full back being tactically disciplined enough to move into the middle of the defense, depending on which side has the ball

United on the other hand have 1 fit full back who can kick a football, the slowest CB pairing in history and simply cannot do it.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
ETH wants to be like Pep and have 2 attacking midfielders, with 1 central one. But Pep can do that for three reasons:
1. City have a defensive line made to compress the pitch, so there are never spaces in midfield (and when they are, city look threatened)
2. City have Kyle Walker, who is kind of a cheat code against the ball over the top
3. Stones is able to essentially move into midfield with a full back being tactically disciplined enough to move into the middle of the defense, depending on which side has the ball

United on the other hand have 1 fit full back who can kick a football, the slowest CB pairing in history and simply cannot do it.
I guess City and Arsenal do very similar things.
It could be viewed that the reason that player gets so few touches is because we're not that great in possession. It could also be viewed that the reason we're not great is because people like the third midfield aren't that good at it.
Great points by eveyone. I think it's ironic discussing this today when the player who played that role yesterday (Mctominay), should have had a hattrick.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Mainoo played as the deepest midfielder yesterday, and I doubt anyone is complaining about what he provided going forward.

I'd like to see an athletic #8 next to him and keep Mainoo as the deepest of the 3. An 8 that can cover as a 6 when Mainoo goes forward would be absolutely ideal and keep us from becoming predictable. I prefer this way round rather than a ball carrying 6 that can cover at 8, as finding someone with the physical profile capable of holding the midfield whilst still possessing ball playing ability during the build up is going to be tough. Whereas a physical ball carrying 8 is more easily identified.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The only way you'd get a away with playing a lone DM is if we had a player of Rodri's calibre.

But there isnt another sole DM who can play the role like him. (I know he gets help from the inverted FB going central but still, he's a lone 6)

Flying high

Yeah the lack of pace from the CBs and Casemiro make it really tough.

We've seen at times this season that we can play a tighter game, or an offensive game. It's been literally 2 or 3 games where we've looked good at both. Only new personnel will really fix the problem.

Cantonagotmehere

Can someone explain the intended role of the third midfield position in our team this season? It seems like a problem spot with players like Mctominay and Mainoo struggling to make an impact there. What is ETH's vision for this position and are the players just not the right fit? I believe it was meant for Mason Mount, but we haven't been able to see it in action yet.
For the record, I think both Mainoo and Mctominay have been great in their own ways the season.
Thanks for the post, this area confounds me too. Good to read the tactical understandings on here that I do not have. Feels like this has been a problem for ages and would help to fix a lot of our deficiencies.