The Creative Fulcrum of our Team

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
When Ole came in after Mourinho, there was all this talk of 'freeing' Pogba from his shackles. Now he's consistently being played as part of a midfield two with hardly any license to go forward. Our best player in terms of goals, assists, successful take ons and most key chances created being played as a deep ball winner looking for a long ball.

So that Lingard can play CAM. I can understand Mourinho didn't want creative playmakers who did not track back, and that LVG wanted players to take far fewer risks in possession, and that Moyes was out of his depth. What is Ole's game plan here?

The last proper 10 we signed was Mata who we played his prime years putting in left-footed crosses from the RW. Our recruitement for creative players has been criminal, and I don't think the managers were innocent.
I don't understand Pogba's new role.

His strengths - strength, pace, dribbling, creative passing, vision and driving at defences.

His weaknesses - bad decision making when pressed, liable to lose the ball dangerous areas, taking unecessary extra touches /too much self indulgence.

Why would this player be better suited to a deeper role? It worked in a cup competition where his team was by far the most talented but makes no sense for us.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Pogba needs to be moved further up. Hes involved in most of our good moves and its much harder to do that when hes right in front of our defense. Maybe its time to give Fred a chance or maybe dust off Matic?

--------------DDG----------------
AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw
---------McTom----Fred---------
Rashford------Pogba-----James
--------------Marital-------------

With Pogba operating in the hole he will be a lot more involved in our build up and that is where we need him
Sounds like a marriage made in heaven

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

His strengths - strength, pace, dribbling, creative passing, vision and driving at defences.

His weaknesses - bad decision making when pressed, liable to lose the ball dangerous areas, taking unecessary extra touches /too much self indulgence.

Why would this player be better suited to a deeper role? It worked in a cup competition where his team was by far the most talented but makes no sense for us.
Said this before, and Pogba is most effective with the right players around him.

We don’t have a Kante and Matuidi but the sadness is that we didn’t even attempt to sign players of that ilk. I’m happy to develop McT,but to place our hopes in him for a long season will put untold pressure on our midfield.

finneh

The thought process is that he doesn't press the opposition, so having him in the number 10 role would completely undermine Ole's plan which is for Rashford, Lingard, James & Martial to pressure the opposition back line into making mistakes.

We are still getting accustomed to organised pressing, but we'd have to throw that strategy in the bin if we played Pogba further forward, since the oppositions deepest midfielder would be a simple out ball every time.

Pogba is a real difficult one to fit into any team that isn't fantastic irrespective of him. He can't play deep effectively due to the weaknesses you mention and he can't play advanced due to most modern coaches requiring a high press.

He's probably best suited to a diamond formation where he has two central midfielders covering for his defensive inadequacies and also an active number 10 in front who'll take the pressing burden. However we don't have the midfield or the attacking full backs for that system (it would also be lunacy to build a team around a player who wants to leave).

Greck

The thought process is that he doesn't press the opposition, so having him in the number 10 role would completely undermine Ole's plan which is for Rashford, Lingard, James & Martial to pressure the opposition back line into making mistakes.

We are still getting accustomed to organised pressing, but we'd have to throw that strategy in the bin if we played Pogba further forward, since the oppositions deepest midfielder would be a simple out ball every time.

Pogba is a real difficult one to fit into any team that isn't fantastic irrespective of him. He can't play deep effectively due to the weaknesses you mention and he can't play advanced due to most modern coaches requiring a high press.

He's probably best suited to a diamond formation where he has two central midfielders covering for his defensive inadequacies and also an active number 10 in front who'll take the pressing burden. However we don't have the midfield or the attacking full backs for that system (it would also be lunacy to build a team around a player who wants to leave).
Traditionally Number 10s have never really been workhorses. When I think that role I think Mata at Chelsea or a peak David Silva. This Lingard at 10 thing is a tactical misunderstanding

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Traditionally Number 10s have never really been workhorses. When I think that role I think Mata at Chelsea or a peak David Silva. This Lingard at 10 thing is a tactical misunderstanding
David Silva presses well.

Jacko21

Just a symptom of a lack of joined up thinking over the last few years re recruitment.

I'd sooner play Pogba as a 10 if it means that we're not quite as vulnerable when he inevitably loses the ball.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout

Like @finneh said, it could be that we're playing him deeper to maximise our high press. it is also probably because even deep-sitting teams send a player or two upfield to mark Pogba, creating space behind. But even that doesn't reap dividends if your 10 can't dribble, score or assist - especially against teams defending deep with no space for our pacy forwards to run into.

Leave or no leave you set up your team around your best players. If it were Pogba instead of Lingard with that ball from AWB two games ago, we'd have won. If Pogba were taking risks 25 yeards higher up the pitch his dispossession won't be that catastrophic. If it were Pogba running to the edge of the box instead of Lingard, our wide players can play aerial balls as well.

It is baffling how Ole has gone back on something that gets the best out of his best player. I'd love to know why from him or the coaching staff later on at some point.

Edit: If we'd signed a proper creative midfielder, we wouldn't have this problem. Which was the point I was trying to make. Someone like Maddison would be terrific in the hole.

Ollie Derbyshire

It depends on the manager and his system, are Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum creative playmakers by any stretch of imagination? The system which Klopp has implemented at Liverpool doesn't need them to be creative as long as they do the dirty work through the middle because it'll allow creativity to come through wide areas.

My biggest problem is I don't see a proper system in place at United, it was same under Jose. We would sit deep and soak pressure but when it came to attack there was no chemistry between the players, they never look in sync while attacking.
I read this a lot on here, that Liverpool’s midfield aren’t expected to be creative and are just hard workers. To some extent I agree but if you look at the stats since the 15-16 season, all of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner have more assists than Lingard for example.

If Lingard isn’t going to contribute any goals then the only other reason he should be in the team is to provide assists because he doesn’t do any actual midfield work like the Liverpool three for example. Whenever I see him run back I just wait for the ref to blow for a foul.

Like it or not, Lingard is expected to provide a lot of our creativity and he is just not up to the job. I don’t like singling players out but this one is so obvious I’m worried that Solskjaer is too blinded by it that it’ll cost him his job sooner rather than later.

We have to try something different, against teams that sit back and counter push Pogba further forward, even if he had a shocking game he’s a better bet to create a couple of chances compared to Lingard. Against teams that come forward Pogba in a deeper role is fine as he can launch attacks over the top. In these games we could drop Lingard and add Matic, Fred or Pereira for example or go with Gomes in the 10 role for added creativity so we are not over dependent on Pogba.

Having said that, I don’t think we have been that bad this season so far. I like the team more but we have to dig in and grind out the points until we can get a player on the same level as a Silva, Eriksen, Ozil. Maddison would be my choice at the minute, with someone like this instead of Lingard we would be a totally different team. Hell even Rosss Barkley has assisted nearly 3 times as many as Lingard since 15-16 season started.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Why indeed.
His biggest weakness is being caught in possesion by fast players closing him down.
Therefore, the closer he plays to the United penalty area the bigger the risk.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Regarding Pogba I agree that we would ideally push him up towards being a number 10 right now, but only because of our other options.

Actually when you look at how often Pogba loses possession in his current position you can double that number if he is playing in those smaller pockets in front of the opponents back four. The question is would he offer enough creatively to offset that? I'm not convinced.

Our best solution is to play Mata. He isn't the player he was but he still finds the passes and he usually pops up with a goal fairly regularly.

settembrini

Putting Pogba back in a deeper role was supposed to help our creativity. And I think it has, the expected goals stats also backs this up.

What's cost us in the last two games has been individual error (two missed pens by Pogba and Rashford, two defensive blunders by Lindelof and De Gea) and one of the worst referring performances I've seen in years.

finneh

It's not about being a workhorse. Eriksen for example isn't a workhorse, but he presses effectively. Likewise David Silva, Bernardo Silva and KdB under Guardiola.

Ideally of course you want a number 10 who can get 30 G+A per season (Pogba can't) and also press the back line alongside your other attackers (Pogba can't). Due to our lack of personnel we've chosen a player who can tick one of those two boxes, rather than a player who ticks neither.

Skills

Snitch
That's pretty much it and it's the same thing with the obsession around signing a top CB. While it doesn't hurt to have good defenders and industrious players, if you are the 6th team in the league, you need to focus on creativity and technical proficiency. This summer we have done the opposite which shouldn't hurt us long term but we are going to suffer short term because one thing is absolutely true in football, to win you need to be able to score and sometimes actually score.
I was screaming this the entire summer (and before). You can outscore to make up for a shit defense, but it doesn't work the other way.

It's fecking mental that we spent 80m on a CB and another 50m on a WIP fullback.

Web of Bissaka

Creative Influences
1. Pogba
2. Dalot
3. Martial
4. Fred
5. Andreas

6. Also our Gomes, who need more games to prove he can hack the league.
7. I think Tuanzebe can also be the creative CB we want to support the frontline. I'm not seeing it from Lindelof nor Maguire. Need games to prove it.

Can't see that playmaking traits by Mata anymore unfortunately.

The 2nd, 4th and 5th have problems that we know clearly which explain why they don't play much -- consistency and unique weaknesses.
So we're over relying on Pogba and Martial. I think they did their best. Martial can only affects the final third, so basically we're over dependence on just Pogba for the whole field which is a big problem.

Influence Areas
Final Third - Martial, Pogba, Dalot, Pereira?, Gomes?
Centre - Pogba, Dalot, Fred
Deep - Pogba, Tuanzebe?

Von Mistelroum

Pogba isn't particularity creative but is by far our most creative player by virtue of the fact that we don't have any other players who are remotely creative at all. Rashford, Lingard, Martial and Co don't really know what to do with the ball when they get it 75% of the time.

Greck

It's not about being a workhorse. Eriksen for example isn't a workhorse, but he presses effectively. Likewise David Silva, Bernardo Silva and KdB under Guardiola.

Ideally of course you want a number 10 who can get 30 G+A per season (Pogba can't) and also press the back line alongside your other attackers (Pogba can't). Due to our lack of personnel we've chosen a player who can tick one of those two boxes, rather than a player who ticks neither.
You asume those two boxes are equal. The primary role of a 10 is facilitation, the fulcrum of the team. By virtue of where he's placed he's in the position to make or break attacks. Pressing is a teamwide requirement. Playing a technically deficient Lingard merely for energy is asking for an impotent attack.

Edit: I've mixed you up with the other guy. I can't even remember if you're the one I agree with or the one I was debating

Amerifan

Reason why Solskjaer only planned to bring in Longstaff and no others in the midfield is because he intends to play counter attacking football, if we were intent on being a force in possession we would have identified player's (one is not enough) that fit the implementation of those ideas.
I think Ole did this because that was the style he inherited from Jose. Too much to try and change in one transfer window when the bulk of the money had to go to improving our defense. Next summer we’ll see if he intends to change style when the transfer focus is further up the pitch.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I see that people are still mentioning Pogba. Pogba has generally been pretty bad as a #10 because one of his flaws is that he is a ball hog, for all the qualities that he has and the fact that his teammates often refuse to provide enough support, Pogba has the arrogance to think that he can keep the ball in all circumstances which is a pretty bad trait for a #10, he is better deeper in less crowded areas where he can create or exploit space.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Offensive WhoScored stats for United and Liverpool for PL 18-19.

Player - Key Passes per Game
UNITED:
Pogba - 1.6
Mata - 1.4,
Martial - 1.3
Young - 1.3
Rashford - 1.2

LIVERPOOL:
Salah - 1.8
TAA - 1.7
Milner - 1.4
Robertson - 1.4

Player - Dribbles per Game
UNITED:
Pogba - 1.7
Rashford - 1.3
Martial - 1.2
Shaw - 0.9
Sanchez - 0.2

LIVERPOOL:
Salah - 2.1
Firmino - 1.4
Mane - 1.4
Keita - 1
Wijnaldum - 0.8

Player - Bad Control per Game
UNITED:
Rashford - 2.5
Pogba - 2.1
Martial - 1.7
Lukaku - 1.6
Lingard - 1.6

LIVERPOOL:
Mane - 2.9
Salah - 2.9
Firmino - 2.3
Wijnaldum - 1.5
TAA - 1.4

Player - Dispossessed per Game
UNITED:
Pogba - 2.5
Lukaku- 1.4
Rashford - 1.4
Matic - 1.4
Sanchez - 1.3

LIVERPOOL:
Salah - 3.1
Firmino - 1.8
Mane - 1.3
Keita - 1.2
Wijnaldum - 1.1

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Passing WhoScored stats for United and Liverpool for PL 18-19:

Player - Average Passes per Game
UNITED:
Matic: 65
Pogba: 59
Shaw: 57
Lindelof: 49
Young: 45

LIVERPOOL:
VVD: 80
Robertson: 66
Lovren: 63
Matip: 61
TAA: 58

Player - Crosses
UNITED:
Young: 1.4
Dalot: 0.9
Mata: 0.6
Shaw: 0.5
Fred: 0.3

LIVERPOOL:
TAA: 2
Milner: 1.2
Robertson: 0.6
Shaqiri: 0.5
Salah: 0.4

Player - Long Balls
UNITED:
DDG - 7.9
Pogba - 4.7
Matic - 3.9
Young: - 3.7
Fred: - 3.5

LIVERPOOL:
VVD - 5.3
Allison:- 4.8
TAA - 4
Henderson - 3.3
Lovren - 2.6

Player - Through Balls
UNITED:
Pogba - 0.2
Mata - 0.1
Martial - 0.1
Lukaku - 0.1
Lingard - 0.1

LIVERPOOL:
Salah - 0.3
Shaqiri - 0.2
Mane- 0.1
Firmino - 0.1
Keita - 0.1

Based Adnan

Lingard is our 10 and he is completely ineffective vs low block defences which is what most games in the league will consist of. What's even more worrying is that our manager hasn't realized this and continues to play Lingard in games where the onus is on us to create something and we can't just sit back and counter attack. Mata and Gomes will be far more useful in games like this. Hopefully Ole realizes it sooner rather than later.

Foxbatt

We are also too open. The wide players need to get more tuck in so that they can support the players inside. I really have no idea what role the " Lively" Jesse plays in this side. You stick stationary Berbatov in the final third of the pitch and give him the ball and he will still create a lot more goals than Lingard does now.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Some intuitive and even obvious interpretations of those numbers (pardon my confirmation bias) in terms of creativity:
- Selling Lukaku was a great call. Not replacing him wasn't.
- You need CBs who can pass out from the back and pick a forward. Hopefully Maguire will help here.
- Attacking full backs are important. Shaw has a long long way to go in terms of attacking intent. Let's see if AWB can keep up his good work.
- Creativity needs to be distributed amongst multiple players. If Pogba has an off day or is marked out, our numbers dry out. This is where it hurts us. The next best creative player, Mata, seems past it. We need a CM who share Pogba's burden to replace Herrera. And another DM to replace Matic.
- DDG needs to take fewer long balls, especially given his poor distribution.
- We need a RW who can dribble, pass, score and assist.
- Apart from Rashford, our forwards were abysmal last season. Martial needs step up, and we need to hope Greenwood and James come good, too.

Noc-Z

ffs
I think the best potential set up we can have this season would be Fred starting next to McTominay with Pogba as the 10. Gives that bit more balance in midfield with ball players and creativity while having Fred who can control with progressive passing. He needs to massively improve, but he has some potential to have an impact.
This is exactly what I've been wanting to see. It gets Lingard out of a vitally important position that he's nowhere near good enough to be playing. The squad is dire so we really need to try with Fred, we spent £52M on him after all. Pogba - not strictly signed as a 10 but is currently our most potentially creative midfielder, so we have to play him further forward.

LoneStar

It's not just the players we need. We have a far better team than Crystal Palace ffs.

We lack any sort of system. You look at the top PL teams right now and they have a solid system in place. City is the obvious example. Everyone has a defined role, and the team is more than the sum of the players.

It feels like Ole has asked the team to go out and play freely, which might work for a team of seasoned world class players, but we don't have that.

Look at the way we play set pieces. It's always Rashford trying to emulate CR7 in freekicks. And we never seem to be a threat in corners, despite having a lot of tall players.

There should be a system in place where players don't have to think a lot, just be there in the right place at the right time. We clearly don't have that.

Obviously we need a good midfielder and an attacker at the very least, but we still have enough to beat teams like Palace at home.

manunited1919

Ole should try all the options at his disposal. Fred, Mata, Greenwood and Gomes should all be tried as #10. We have nothing to lose since we have already seen that Lingard and Pereira weren't good enough.
Lingard deserves to be in the waste basket. But when did we ever give Pereira a crack at the #10 position? If you are referring to the Chelsea game, then he already has one more assist than Lingard over many games. We would need to give Pereira a run of games to property assess him.

FletcherCarrick

To be honest, I do think our problem is a bit more complicated than just replacing Lingard with a different #10, let's say Eriksen or Dybala. They surely would make our team look a lot better, but to make it work properly other parts of the team also need to be better. I think Ole has already improved us quite a lot by implementing a pressing game and building up from the back. I think most of us have noticed that De Gea is no longer kicking the ball long too often or the full-backs hoof the ball up by a country mile. The pressing and the patient build-up play from the back are key ingredients to dominate football teams in the modern game and to carve open a low block. However, it also takes considerable time to fully implement it and to see the real benefits of it (and with considerable time I mean close to a season, not just a few weeks).

In the build-up fase a lot can still be gained. Pogba and McTominay link the play reasonably well, but it will get even more effective if 1 player is able to do their job instead of two, and if that player can drop in between the centre-backs. Currently, either Pogba and McTominay drop in between the centre-back and the full-back which give an automatic tendency to play the ball out wide, which limits the passing lanes and the general build-up play. Ideally, in the build-up, you from a 3-4-3 formation with the DM splitting in between the CBs and the FBs pushing up next to the two other midfielders. Most of these things are currently happening, however the DM is an area that needs improvement. I would suggest that till the next transfer window, we keep the system at it is. Only against weaker opponents, we could try to use a 4-1-4-1 to implement the system I suggested above, with Fred or McTominay sitting as the DM (they have good passing ranges, and tackling will be less important if we dominate the ball) and having Pogba, Andreas, Fred/McT, Gomes, Mata sitting up front as the two more advanced midfielders.

The attack could also do with some improved decision making. Against both Wolves and Crystal Palace, we advanced to quite promising positions on numerous occasions. As soon as we reach those positions, often wrong decisions are made. Key passes made too soon, shooting in stead of combination play, holding the ball too long, trying to dribble past three players.. and so on. Personally, I believe Martial has improved his game a lot in this regard since Ole came in, but Rashford, Lingard and James can improve in this aspect quite a lot. Especially Rashford has immense talent and some maturity and more selfishness would be much appreciated. Too often he goes for the hard way or the nicest way, instead of the most effective/efficient way. If the forwards can improve their passing and decision-making in the final third, this would actually already improve our problems by quite some margin, I believe. Be patient, pass the ball quickly yet concisely over short distances, keep making sprints; the forwards will have enough ability to play the final ball.

Finally, I think improving these two areas by coaching and training, will improve us a lot. In addition, I think a better #10 would elevate us to another level. If the build-up goes smoother and faster, and the forwards make more intelligent movements a top-quality #10 can be the difference between top 4 and being a genuine title challenger. I think we should be looking to improve the two points above this year and try to buy a top #10 next season. As for this season, I believe Andreas would be more suitable than Lingard. I do know the deficiencies of Andreas, such as poor first touch, unawareness, defensively being caught out but these weaknesses are far less important in the advanced role, than in the #8/6 roles. He is aggressive, he is energetic, he presses quite well, so he is mostly on par with his strongest points. Next to that, he also adds creativity to the squad and an end-product. He can score goals (see Southampton last season), he can provide assists (Martial vs Chelsea, Lukaku against Saints as well) and be another creative passer in midfield other than Pogba. The pass for Greenwood last season (against Cardiff I believe) on which he put Greenwood 1-on-1 from a central position, is a pass I haven't seen from anyone else bar Pogba. For this season, he should be the nr 1. #10 for me, and if he gets injured either Fred/Pogba should pushed forward. They also have a far better passing range than Lingard and more creativity, which is key against 75% of all our opponents who sit deep anyways. For me, Lingard should only be used on the right wing, as a #10 against top 6 teams and as a backup for the attackers in case of injury. Next season, Lingard should be sold in my opinion and let Gomes take his place in the first-team. Gomes can develop his game this season in the cups. I think it is irresponsible to trust on Gomes now as a #10 and also unfair to expose him potentially to so much criticism which is associated with playing for United, especially in such a demanding role which is currently below par.

Ps. Hello guys, this is my first post on this forum but have been reading for quite some time. The name is Willem and I am a Dutch fan who has been following United for a little more than a decade now. Since I have only 3 posts a day, I did not want to waste one post with introducing myself in the introduction thread. Instead, I would like to contribute with more relevant information.. ;)

Reactions: Invictus

::sonny::

This team can play only in counter attack (martial, rashord, lingard, james...)

No counter attack, no goals

But teams like Palace doesn't allow you to make counters attack (maybe one per game)

So this is extremely fecked situation

Chelsea win has been fortuitous, this team would struggle a lot against brighton, norwich and all the little sides

So i see a place between 10-15th place, Fellaini & Lukaku solved a lot of problems with the long balls

Without them you will lose a lot of points

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
In games like ones against Palace, I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Mata played deeper with Pogba in the #10. Of course this wouldn't work against bigger clubs, but Mata could be the linking from defense to attack with Pogba being a focal point further up the field. Yes, I know, Mata isn't the greatest of defenders, but he has an eye for a pass and from deeper positions he can pick one out. Remember, Pirlo started his career as a #10 and then dropped into a deep lying playmaker. Perhaps Mata could offer the same with Pogba in front of him. Anything Lingard as the #10. I actually don't have any problem with Lingard himself. He's scored some big goals for us. But as a #10 I want to see a player with some creativity and Lingard's game is all about his engine...

GlasgowCeltic

There was a point in the second half where Pogba tried to run onto his own forward pass, nicely summed up the total reliance on him in the middle and final third I felt.

Lentwood

There’s no secret to being good at forward passing - it boils down to being a good player it’s not much more complicated than that

Good players instantly get the ball out of their feet and get their head up to make a pass. Average places take an extra touch to get the ball out of their feet and then have to go sideways or backwards as a result

He'sRaldo

Most good teams put onus on certain individuals with obvious talents to dictate play and ensure chances are created regularly for the forwards. City with KDB and the Silvas. Madrid with Modric, Kroos, Isco. Barcelona have had plenty. And so on. These combinations tend to be in the middle of the park and the common them is to have players who are genuinely high quality passers. That's how much you usually create chances for your attackers. Liverpool are an exemption in a way.

When I look at Manchester United, it seems we don't seem to be very interested in playmakers or creative footballers. We have one Paul Pogba who we apparently are in confusion about regarding his role/position. Him aside whenever we prove for openings, I see us either relying on

A) Strikers like Martial or Rashford to create openings. I mean I understand that the modern striker does a bit of everything but you can't expect them chaps to run the engine. There should be a machinery creating stuff for them.

B) or decent /good footballers like Lingard, James and Mctominay, who simply do not excel as passers.

So, yeah, why is passing, creating, playmaking so neglected at Manchester United? Our last midfield signing was Fred and he isn't really of that mould either so it appears not be a big priority.

You're on to something tbh. We're sacrificing our best players for the cloggers, when it should be the other way round.

IMO it's not too hard to decipher. We have 3 key attackers: 2 strikers and an AM. So our attack should be a 1-2, not wing-based.

In midfield we have mostly cloggers of different varieties, so we should sacrifice them to help out the attackers. 3 workmanlike mids.

Fullback positions pick themselves, and of all our CB's, only one is guaranteed 1st choice. So the rest will rotate depending on form and opposition. Whoever performs best nails down the 2nd spot.

The 4-3-1-2 makes best use of our personnel at the time, and most importantly ensures that our best players are not shoehorned onto the wings or DM to help out the cloggers.

Eli Zee

I think it is a BIG ask to get a top 4 finish from this squad of players. You just look at the bench every game and you can see we have no match winners or game changers to come on. We need to try and stay with the pack until Christmas and then bring in a couple of playes in January. Scouts and coaches should have them sorted out and ready to come in.
It would be nice to get someone in on RW that’s actually good in the position. And also a 20+ goal a season striker... then we have two impact subs in Daniel James and rashford/martial/new striker. We need more quality next to pogba also. Replace Lingard and Mctominay with quality starters and make them rotation squad players...

He'sRaldo

It would be nice to get someone in on RW that’s actually good in the position. And also a 20+ goal a season striker... then we have two impact subs in Daniel James and rashford/martial/new striker. We need more quality next to pogba also. Replace Lingard and Mctominay with quality starters and make them rotation squad players...
We can't get anyone in since the window has closed and, at least for now, we don't have any good wingers.

Which then begs the question, why are we sacrificing our best players to accommodate that kind of formation?? It doesn't make any sense.

Zlatattack

I think currently our 2 options are Gomes as 10 or Pogba as 10 and Fred in the 8.

MrBrightside1989

We never really managed to find a player to come in and allow Pogba to flourish. Matic a few years ago could have done it but has lost his legs, Fred is yet to live u to expectations and although I rate mctominay he is still raw and inexperienced.

We have been linked with countless midfielders to bring the best out of Pogba but I wonder if the underlying uncertainty of his future at the club mean we are reluctant to invest in this area.

Would matuidi, Eriksen, m-savic, modric or Bruno Fernandes be the player we need to release and take the pressure off Pogba... we don't know and unfortunately neither do our management or scouting team.

Foxbatt

We do not have any fulcrum and that is the problem. The players are just winging it. Bringing in Erickson or Modric or Fernandes is not going to release Pogba because all of them are players who play in the same kind of position. We need someone to replace Matic. I mean someone who is world class. If we play the above mentioned players they may replace Lingard and also would hold the ball better and create a lot more. Then we would also need someone who is a lot better than Scott. If we sort out our midfield with two two quality players to replace Scott, and Lingard this team with the right coaching and tactics would do a lot better.