10. EAP
11. Cutch
12. NoPace
13. EDogen
14. BigDunc9
15. BorisDeLeFora
16. NM / Snow

Apologies to those who missed out.

The aim of the game is simple. Draft a team to win the cup. 16 players, 4 knock out stages.

A squad of 12 players must be drafted. 1 player counts towards 1 criteria, even if he meets more than one. You can draft against the criteria in any order, and you don't need to state which criteria you're drafting for. However, at the end of the draft, you'll need to demonstrate your 12 players meet all 12 criteria individually. (I.e one player is only valid against one criteria even if he meets more than one).

The earliest date of birth for a player is 01/01/1965 inclusive.

The 12 criterion are as follows:

1. A player who won a total number of international caps of at least 90 but no more than 99.
2. A player who has obtained a maximum of 30 caps at International Level, and was not born after 1985 (i.e. on 01/01/1986 or later).
3. A player who has never won a league title. In order to count as winning a league title for a club, the player must have represented the club for the full season in which the league title was won. The number of matches played is irrelevant.
4. A player who has won the Balon D'Or, either Gold/Silver/Bronze (or equivalent).
5. A player who was born in one countrybut represented the national team of another country. The two countries must be independent countries at time of birth.
6. A player who has played in at least 3 different countries during his career. He must have represented the club for a minimum of one full season in each country.
7. A player who has reached the final of a world cup but has never won it.
8 & 9. 2 players who have represented the same club for at least 2 full seasons but never won a trophy together at that club in that two year period. However, they must both have won a league title in another country having played for a full season. See the clarifications section for more detail.
10. A player which represented a country which is ranked outside the current top 30 per the new rankings on 17/7/2014(i.e. it doesn't matter if the country was ranked higher in the past, as long as it isn't there now). See below for reference.
11. A player who represented the same club for more than 10 years.
12. A player who has never played in the Champions League, Europa League, or the equivalent trophies of the past.

Clarifications:

Full season = end of the summer transfer window to the last official game of the season.

Top 30 nations today = we take place of birth if there is confusion. If birth palace falls in a country currently on the list doesn't count.

Criteria 11: 10 years at a minimum.

Played for another country to born: one random game doesn't count for example. Consider in the spirit of the rule - really thinking about someone who played his national career somewhere else. If a country combined/broke up, then it doesn't count as two separate countries as it's a technicality rather then an actual playing for another country.

International caps: includes all games where on the pitch, whether sub or not, 1 second or 90 minutes.

Criteria 8/9 - the two players only need to be trophyless for 2 seasons out of how ever many they were together. The 2 seasons need to be together though(e.g cannot have 2001 and 2003, has to be one after the other). Also meaningless trophies don't count such as super cups and community shields etc. the main cups and European cup and league. We all know what the main ones are! Specifically intertoto no, club WC yes.

Criteria 5 - the two countries must be independent countries at time of birth.
10 years at a club= 10 years in the senior squad. Youth years ney count!

League titles - only top divisions count.

-----

The format is a snake draft and we need a neutral to randomise the draw. 8 hour time to make your pick before you're skipped. We can start as soon as draw made.

Players can trade players throughout the draft.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Roll on! Randomize! @Balu!
Here you go!

List Randomizer
There were 16 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. 7. VivaJanuzaj / crappycrapperson
  2. 8. MJJ (looking for an assistant)
  3. 2. Annahnomoss
  4. 11. Cutch
  5. 12. NoPace
  6. 9. Stobzilla / KM
  7. 4. FromTheBench
  8. 13. EDogen
  9. 14. BigDunc9
  10. 1. rpitroda
  11. 15. BorisDeLeFora
  12. 3. Chesterlestreet
  13. 5. Paceme
  14. 16. NM / Snow
  15. 6. Aldo
  16. 10. EAP
Timestamp: 2014-07-19 13:53:49 UTC

Good luck guys !

Annahnomoss

Cheers, I hate that I never get to be on the lower end of the draft. Keep being stuck with the same players or building similar styles because of it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Alright! We're off.

What sort of deadlines are we looking at here?

EDIT Nevermind - 8hrs.

Annahnomoss

So has the deadlines started? Would love to get my first pick done before tomorrow or I will have issues picking.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Deadline started once Balus thing was done! I tagged everyone so hopefully they should get in, but u guess if necessary we can make an exception for the first pick.

MJJ

Does rule 5 means he literally has to be born in another country or if his parents are of a separate county, is that allowed?

And what if someone later played for another country.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

In terms of the International caps, does substitutions count as one cap as well or only starts?

RoadTrip

Does rule 5 means he literally has to be born in another country or if his parents are of a separate county, is that allowed?

And what if someone later played for another country.
Literally born in another country.

In terms of the International caps, does substitutions count as one cap as well or only starts?
What's the norm? Does the norm usually include both? (Eg if you go on Wikipedia?) I suspect it's both.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If you're on the pitch, it's a cap. Whether it's 90 minutes or 30 seconds doesn't make a difference. I've always thought so, anyway.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
In fact, there are examples of players being subbed on late just in order to boost their total amount of caps - in some countries you get recognized in various ways for totaling X amount of caps. i.e. you get a prize of some sort.

MJJ

Literally born in another country.

What's the norm? Does the norm usually include both? (Eg if you go on Wikipedia?) I suspect it's both.
Okay, what about someone like platini(know he isnt eligible here). Played for france but represented kuwait once.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Okay, what about someone like platini(know he isnt eligible here). Played for france but represented kuwait once.
Wasn't that only a exhibition match outside of the FIFA calender? Pretty sure that game didn't count at all, wasn't anything like a friendly between two official nationalteams. Platini isn't capped for the Kuwait nationalteam as far as I know despite playing that game. But it's not my call to make, if a game like that counts. It would be wrong though in my opinion, if it did.

NM

I think some of the criteria's are really going to help those at the top.. Don't think it's very balanced, but the criteria are interesting

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That wasn't an official FIFA match. In theory anyone can represent any country in a, well, bollocks/charity/friendly/whathaveya sort of match.

MJJ

Wasn't that only a exhibition match outside of the FIFA calender? Pretty sure that game didn't count at all, wasn't anything like a friendly between two official nationalteams. Platini isn't capped for the Kuwait nationalteam as far as I know despite playing that game. But it's not my call to make, if a game like that counts. It would be wrong though in my opinion, if it did.
Michel's last ever international match and last ever match of his illustrious career came on 27 November 1988 when he came out of retirement for one day to play in an international friendly match representing Kuwait at the request of the Kuwaiti Emir versus the Soviet Union. Platini played a total of 21 minutes in the 2-0 loss to the Soviets. This one and only cap for the Kuwaitis put Platini in the history books as a footballer to represent more than one country at international leve

This is what wiki says so am not sure.

MJJ

That wasn't an official FIFA match. In theory anyone can represent any country in a, well, bollocks/charity/friendly/whathaveya sort of match.
Okay, so friendlies dont count at all for that criteria?

Or do fifa approved friendlies(does fifa even approve friendlies) only count?

RoadTrip

This is a rare situation in any case. I would say no, this shouldn't count. I would say we just need to consider the spirit of what the rule is - isn't really for looking at this kind of way to draft someone, but rather someone who was born in one place but played his proper national career somewhere else.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

Yeah, there are FIFA approved friendlies, the ones that count towards their country ranking are 'official' friendlies. Everyone can make exhibition games outside of the FIFA regulations at any time. As far as I know, Platini isn't officially capped for Kuwait. It's not mentioned in his player profile on the FIFA website either.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/players/player=28528/

MJJ

This is a rare situation in any case. I would say no, this shouldn't count. I would say we just need to consider the spirit of what the rule is - isn't really for looking at this kind of way to draft someone, but rather someone who was born in one place but played his proper national career somewhere else.
Yeah, there are FIFA approved friendlies, the ones that count towards their country ranking are 'official' friendlies. Everyone can make exhibition games outside of the FIFA regulations at any time. As far as I know, Platini isn't officially capped for Kuwait. It's not mentioned in his player profile on the FIFA website either.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/players/player=28528/
Thanks guys, love the headline on that article btw.

Intelligence and Elegance personified in blue.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Basically there's a difference between matches which are recognized as "full internationals" and matches which are not. Platini's appearance for Kuwait falls into the latter category. In such matches goals, bookings, red cards, etc. aren't recorded as official. Or so I think.

RoadTrip

Whenever any questions are asked re rules I will update the clarifications section. You'll see I've updated it for caps and playing for another nation.

RoadTrip

I've just realised that two player thing is a real feck! Imagine you pick your first guy but the second one gets taken, what a ball ache :lol:

MJJ

I've just realised that two player thing is a real feck! Imagine you pick your first guy but the second one gets taken, what a ball ache :lol:
For the two player thing, do they have to be trophy-less for two seasons or for the whole time both of them were at the club?

And will the trades go on simultaneously or at the end of the draft?
Basically there's a difference between matches which are recognized as "full internationals" and matches which are not. Platini's appearance for Kuwait falls into the latter category. In such matches goals, bookings, red cards, etc. aren't recorded as official. Or so I think.
Ahh, gotcha.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Indeed. It'll be interesting to see who tries to get that category sorted in the first round - because it is, potentially, a real pain in the arse.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Er...wait. That category: you need to draft two players in separate rounds who - together - meet this criterion?

That's a mindfeck.