The Daredevil Draft R1 | Pat Mustard vs. Ecstatic

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

---------------------------------- PAT MUSTARD-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ECSTATIC-----------------------------------

Pat Mustard's write up:

Exceptionally boring modern 4-3-3 tactic with an equally boring write-up. Most notable point is that this is one of my favourite backlines that I've assembled in drafts. No Kaiser, Baresi or ultra-attacking FB that put the onus on you to build around and maximise, just a collection of terrific defenders who are all superb in possession as well as being brilliant defensively. I picked Dunga ahead of draft favourites like Tito Goncalves and more obvious fits like Deschamps, as he's impressed me massively when I've happened to watch him in recent years, and I wanted to play him in what I think is his natural role in the modern game as a holding midfielder with metronomic passing. More than happy with my midfield in general, with Neeskens providing the line-breaking x factor ahead of the control of Dunga/Modric. Attacking line isn't particularly eye-catching in an all-time context, but collectively it packs a considerable punch in terms of goal threat and creativity, with Villa's tireless and intelligent off-the-ball movement serving as a vital foil to Neymar and Robben's individualistic tendencies.

Ecstatic's write up:

BEST OF ECSTATIC - I picked most of the players in the past - A best of is always the beginning of the end...
>>>>>>> Power, Pace: players good on the ball but don't like to overthink === no time to lose with titatakitia football
>>>>>>> Black Panther matters but left, central or right operations zone really don't matter, brilliant with both foot
>>>>>>> Kaká version 2005 against Liverpool (Champions League Finak) Video below him supporting Crespo/sCHEVA
>>>>>>> Sammer the coach on the pitch

Advanced complete striker - Schevchenko - Ballon d'Or 2004

Free Forward - Eusebio - Ballon d'Or 1965 - Black Panther matters
Best equivalent of the Brazilian Ronaldo in terms of style of play

Adavanced Fantasista - Kaká - Ballon d'Or 2007
"For two, maybe three seasons he was the best player in the world, there was nothing he couldn’t do." Ronaldinho
"I remember how badly we took it as a team when Kaká left Milan. For two or three years he was the best player in the world. There was a point when teams just had no idea how to stop him." (Andrea Pirlo)

Captain Ballon d'Or 1996 - Sammer - Libero symbol of the philosophy
Matthias Sammer is the charismatic leader in charge of leading the way and inspiring his teammates as he did with Dortmund in its golden era but also with Germany at the Euro 96. He is one of the three defenders to have won the Ballon d'Or because of his global impact on the game and his teammates. Really an hybrid player which makes comparisons with a lot of central defenders meaningless. He started his career as a central midfielder and became an attacking libero showing his fantastic vision when support attacking game. Unfortunately, he retired early due to injuries.

Overath - He will fluidify the game and feed offensive players - to be discussed later

Giant Midfielder - Lerby - Strong and Complete Defensive midfielder with a high stamina - to be discussed later

Iconic Offensive left-back -Roberto Carlos

Offensive right-back - Carlos Alberto

One of the finest right wing-back of all times. All-round full-back with his ball control, dribbling, playmaking ability, brilliant positioning, great tackling and reading of the game. Carlos Alberto could play as sweeper as well.

Alan Hansen - Defensive leader of the Pool machine 3 Times European Cup (1978, 1981, 1984)

Mozer - Aggressive Stopper - many injuries at the wrong moment preventing him to play some world cups
Quality long passing skills

Ladislao Mazurkiewicz - El Arquero Negro

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, both sides are brilliant and it's hard to find flaws in either of them (swap Lerby and Overath though!!). Ecstatic's side is so exciting, but I had to stop myself before instantly voting for them when I saw Pat's defense.

Himannv

Excellent teams. All comes down to personal preference here and I like Pat's just a little bit more. Minus points for Ecstatic for not being more adventurous and building a Christmas tree or something like that, especially with Kaka and Shevchenko in the side.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Player for player and as a unit, @Pat_Mustard's team is my favourite team in the first round. Love everything about it.

The "problem" is that @Ecstatic's is so fecking good as well.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thanks guys for your comments.

In the ranking I sent, I rated @Pat_Mustard in the top 3 so I am not interested in making a negative comment about his team, not because he has a quality and consistent team.

As usual, I will explain my choices

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Player for player and as a unit, @P-Nut's team is my favourite team in the first round. Love everything about it.

The "problem" is that @Ecstatic's is so fecking good as well.
good thing for you then that they dont face each other

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yeah, both sides are brilliant and it's hard to find flaws in either of them (swap Lerby and Overath though!!). Ecstatic's side is so exciting, but I had to stop myself before instantly voting for them when I saw Pat's defense.
I know Lerby prefers to play on the left side of the pitch but believe Overath on the right would be a worst choice because:
- Overath is more creative than Lerby and I want him to support Scheva who is more central than Eusebio
- Then I had a look at Lerby who was recruited by Bayern to replace Breitner and I saw he sometimes played in the central area: so let's say Lerby would be more comfortable if a player likes Neymar cuts inside
- Then Eusebio can occupy the right side more than Scheva on the left

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_European_Cup_Final
You will find Mozer and Lerby

I can understand some emphasize on central defenders. As you can see, I am a typical recruiter who will always spend more money on offensive players :)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Excellent teams. All comes down to personal preference here and I like Pat's just a little bit more. Minus points for Ecstatic for not being more adventurous and building a Christmas tree or something like that, especially with Kaka and Shevchenko in the side.
Christmas tree
Honestly, it was really an option I have considered but with Eusébio and Kaká to support Scheva! If you look at the video about Eusébio, you will see that he likes to play like a number 10 who would try to dribble everybody! So, Scheva is more a "target striker" and Eusébio a "central forward"

Coluna versus Overath versus Lerby
Another option I have considered was to have Mario Coluna (on the bench) instead of Overath but these days I rate the German very highly and appreciate that he plays with efficiency and simplicity. I could have sold the Benfica connection but believe the German would feed the offensive players more quickly.

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Christmas tree
Honestly, it was really an option I have considered but with Eusébio and Kaká to support Scheva! If you look at the video about Eusébio, you will see that he likes to play like a number 10 who would try to dribble everybody! So, Scheva is more a "target striker" and Eusébio a "central forward"

Coluna versus Overath versus Lerby
Another option I have considered was to have Mario Coluna (on the bench) instead of Overath but these days I rate the German very highly and appreciate that he plays with efficiency and simplicity. I could have sold the Benfica connection but believe the German would feed the offensive players more quickly.
A truly 'Ecstatic' move would have been Coluna for Lerby :drool:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The offensive trio

There is a great mutual understanding between the Ukrainian and Kaká as explained by a fantastic poster in the link below

Here

My expectation is to have a fluid trio, with Scheva playing relatively high and the 2 others trying to destabilize the opposing team.

So, I really have impatient players who always take the shortest way to reach the penalty area

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
A truly 'Ecstatic' move would have been Coluna for Lerby :drool:
It was really tempting and I know that Coluna is better rated in the rankings we all know, but the vision and passing skills of Overath have made the difference.

Enigma will certainly say the same thing as he used the Portuguese several times

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
From a tactical standpoint, my most critical player is obviously Sammer.

So, yeah, the Dortmund capable to win a Champions League is a source of inspiration obviously

Champions League final 1997 - dortmund 3 - 1 Juventus

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Kaka and Carlos Mozer - the cursed players with the Selecao

They belong to the list of Brazilian injured at the wrong moment: Reinaldo (1978), Careca (1982), Cerezo + Mozer + Zico (1986), Romario(1990) Ricardo Gomes, Mozer (1994), Romario (1998), Emerson (2002), Kaka during the world cup 2006

Mozer was very highly rated in 1994 like Ricardo i.e. the greatest central pairing in the history of Benfica from what I read. A Mozer was a beast, very aggressive so a philosophical standpoint he paid the price and has been punished in some way.

Kaka reached his prime between 2003 and 2007. World cup 2006. He could have been the star number 1 of the world cup 2006. Kaká started in his first World Cup finals in 2006 and scored his first and only goal of the tournament in Brazil's 1–0 victory over Croatia i(named Man of the Match). he was unable to keep up the momentum. Several injuries before and during the world cup made him in a weak shape against the game lost against France: unrecognizable in this game. At the end of the day, he won everything, including the wc 2002 but he was too young to challenge Rivaldo/Ronnie

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Pats is like the team I wanted to build, but think estactic pips it

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Genuinely surprised and delighted at how much love my team is getting. Loved the back four, Dunga in that role, and the overall balance myself but didn't think it would be eye-catching enough to get much love relative to some of the other juggernauts we've seen.

Thanks guys for your comments.

In the ranking I sent, I rated @Pat_Mustard in the top 3 so I am not interested in making a negative comment about his team, not because he has a quality and consistent team.

As usual, I will explain my choices
It's going to be a dull match thread mate as your team is brilliant! It's such a marginal point anyway, but I was hoping you'd position Sammer as a sweeper going forward in a proper 3-5-2 where Hansen would look slightly out of place as a side CB, but as a DM dropping back it all looks great in terms of him patrolling the danger zone where Neymar and Robben cut in,
The offensive trio

There is a great mutual understanding between the Ukrainian and Kaká as explained by a fantastic poster in the link below

Here

My expectation is to have a fluid trio, with Scheva playing relatively high and the 2 others trying to destabilize the opposing team.

So, I really have impatient players who always take the shortest way to reach the penalty area
It's a sensational trio. Three unbelievable ball-carriers with Kaka also being a great passer and Shevchenko possessing top-notch off the ball movement and CF nous to leave room for Eusebio to do his thing.

Pat_Mustard

@Ecstatic I've posted this previously but I'm old enough to remember reading about Aldair and Marcio Santos being reserve CBs for Brazil 94 until Mozer and Ricardo Gomes/Ricardo Rocha/both of them got injured. Mozer is getting quite a big fan club lately, and I'm proud to say I might have started it :cool:. Are you old enough to have seen him play in France or can you tell us about his general reputation there?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Ecstatic I've posted this previously but I'm old enough to remember reading about Aldair and Marcio Santos being reserve CBs for Brazil 94 until Mozer and Ricardo Gomes/Ricardo Rocha/both of them got injured. Mozer is getting quite a big fan club lately, and I'm proud to say I might have started it :cool:. Are you old enough to have seen him play in France or can you tell us about his general reputation there?
Hi! I do remember that you were the first to praise Carlos Mozer 4 or 5 years ago I think. I thought you were a hipster on this one :lol:

Then I saw bepo made some videos recently.

I have always known him but he was sometimes praised by people who worked or like Marseille, but never really paid attention because they tend to exaggerate. From what I have watched and what I have read, as you know, he is agressive and energic with surprisingly good long passing skills from what I have seen in the Mozer vs weah video.

https://pesstatsdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7546

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
It's going to be a dull match thread mate as your team is brilliant! It's such a marginal point anyway, but I was hoping you'd position Sammer as a sweeper going forward in a proper 3-5-2 where Hansen would look slightly out of place as a side CB, but as a DM dropping back it all looks great in terms of him patrolling the danger zone where Neymar and Robben cut in,
Sammer is a defender who won the ballon d'or so first question: why?

The answer is that he was a quality central defender extremely dynamic and contributing to the offensive play. The video sammer vs Glasgow perfectly summarizes my expectations expressed by arrows, he can play sweeper, defensive midfielder on the air, and then go forward.

If David Villa goes deep, he may have sammer on his back.
If David Villa wants to use his speed, Mozer can help.
Alan Hansen would cover the Brazilian when the team is under pressure and initiate attacks when the team has the ball.

That's the beauty of this defensive unit: sammer makes the team play as a 3-5-2 if under pressure and a 4-4-2 moving forward.

If you think about Dortmund 1997, I think it's sammer who was the most important player by far. Maybe a typical German stuff. Tuchel sometimes tried the same thing with psg, with marquinhos in the role of sammer, kimpembe Carlos Mozer, Thiago Silva Alan Hansen... not with the same success obviously

A typical sweeper like Scierea would make - as you say - Alan Hansen " out of place as a side can". Here, we have a typical libero (etymology freedom) playing relatively high compared to Scirea

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
These teams are magic. Lovely choice of wing backs, high line CBs and forwards for a proactive 352 @Ecstatic. Overath looks seamless there too. Pat’s team is impeccably constructed as well, particularly like the midfield unit. I’ve tried to vote on all games tight or not but I might have to cop out on this one.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
These teams are magic. Lovely choice of wing backs, high line CBs and forwards for a proactive 352 @Ecstatic. Overath looks seamless there too. Pat’s team is impeccably constructed as well, particularly like the midfield unit. I’ve tried to vote on all games tight or not but I might have to cop out on this one.
Thanks for your comment

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Last posts before the end of the game as I have to go outside, so yeah, this is a best of what I have done in the draft sections, with players picked several times, but it is my preferred team even if I won a draft with Cristiano/pele/platini/garrincha/rijkaard/moore/etc.

I have always been fascinated by excessively fast players with top technical skills (mbappe is a bit disappointing in this regard. Then, there are the powerful players. So many unstoppable players :drool: At the end of the day, the less adventurous player is Mozer

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
How Scheva creates space for others == tactical moves

f

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Genuinely surprised and delighted at how much love my team is getting. Loved the back four, Dunga in that role, and the overall balance myself but didn't think it would be eye-catching enough to get much love relative to some of the other juggernauts we've seen.
Had you as number 1 seed because the balance seemed perfect in all areas while in most teams I could see at least some weak spot.

Had Ecstatic in top 5 on the basis being one of those teams I definitely wanted to avoid with immense attacking and counter attacking potential.

Might be the one game I chicken out from voting and tbh can't see a winner atm. Ecstatic if he clicks can beat any team in round 1 for sure...

Edit: yeah, seeing it again, he would definitely throw me out. :wenger:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Thought long and hard if I should vote or not. This is very much a 50:50 game with two magnificent teams, but in the end Figueroa/Nesta were the difference makers for me. Well done drafting CBs in round 1 & 2 and still coming up with such a cohesive team.

Still feels a bit wrong, glad it didn't matter for the outcome :nervous:

Jim Beam

Yeah, (although, the difference is marginal) I actually wanted to go for Ecstatic in the end here and got a bit late with the match and everything. Even thought he is in the lead for some reason when I first look at the match today.

Very inventive and so dangerous upfront, would be too hard to defend even for Nesta/Elias. And those wingbacks on top of all...

Very tough luck @Ecstatic

Pat_Mustard

Hard luck @Ecstatic . That was a brilliant team you built and I wouldn't have had any complaints if I'd lost. Excellent Shevcheno GIF-age too. He's a bit underrated around here imo.

Had you as number 1 seed because the balance seemed perfect in all areas while in most teams I could see at least some weak spot.

Had Ecstatic in top 5 on the basis being one of those teams I definitely wanted to avoid with immense attacking and counter attacking potential.

Might be the one game I chicken out from voting and tbh can't see a winner atm. Ecstatic if he clicks can beat any team in round 1 for sure...

Edit: yeah, seeing it again, he would definitely throw me out. :wenger:
Cheers Jim! When I was planning the rest of my midfield after picking Neeskens I actually built it with you in mind as an opponent and was aiming for something that could at least be semi-competitive vs Xaviesta.

Jim Beam

Cheers Jim! When I was planning the rest of my midfield after picking Neeskens I actually built it with you in mind as an opponent and was aiming for something that could at least be semi-competitive vs Xaviesta.
Aww... thinking of you too often. :wenger:

Both that midfield and attack have a bit of Barcelona vibes tbf. One of the reasons I thought you might struggle here. Like having a solid/high possession, but vulnerable when the ball is lost. Not just that but immense pressure on the flanks. That Nesta - Elias first 2 picks look great not just now, but also going forward (you might be less exposed in that next feckin sheep round...)

Anyway, fascinating match up this one the more I look at it.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
No Best of @Ecstatic without the traditional thank-you letter and an assessment of the opposing team!

@harms @P-Nut @Zlatan 7 @GodShaveTheQueen

Again, I have to pay tribute to the non-sheep members of this forum, the elite who rewarded the Ecstatic team, the minority blessed with a sophisticated mind able to understand the mechanics of this game...in all fairness!

Indeed, my offensive trio was unplayable:
***Eusébio - the greatest player on the pitch by far - whose impact would be magnified by the other 2 creating space
*** the proven partnership Scheva/Kaka, harmonious and devastating
*** hard to imagine the slow tiny Dingo - who happen to be Brazilian by mistake - having a utility and protecting his central defenders
*** When I think about Nesta/Cannavaro and other Italian defenders at the final of the Euro 2000 in panick when dealing with the 20-year-old Thierry Henry etc.
*** So, yeah, only sheeps with a limited understanding of the game can believe Figueroa/Nesta/Dingo managing the offensive trio

All in all:

*** 2 Lateral defenders: Ecstatic
*** Battle Midfield: Ecstatic thanks to Sammer, enabling the team to have a 3-man or 4-man midfield
*** Offensive trio: Ecstatic
*** 2 full-time central defenders: Pat wins

And if I remove the voters who don't know Football, fair to say I have won this game in reality :cool: And this game has nothing to do with luck, all is about sheeps who by definition have a limited understanding of things!

Things have finally come full circle and I am pleased to finish up my on the drafts section with my preferred team built in 5 years. If I had won, maybe I would ahve taken a more glamorous central defender but it won't have changed anything given the superiority of the Ecstatic team. My previous game was in September 2019, I believe my times are gone here and it was great to have played these drafts in the past when I was discovering things

A typical @Ecstatic post :D

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
No Best of @Ecstatic without the traditional thank-you letter and an assessment of the opposing team!

@harms @P-Nut @Zlatan 7 @GodShaveTheQueen

Again, I have to pay tribute to the non-sheep members of this forum, the elite who rewarded the Ecstatic team, the minority blessed with a sophisticated mind able to understand the mechanics of this game...in all fairness!

Indeed, my offensive trio was unplayable:
***Eusébio - the greatest player on the pitch by far - whose impact would be magnified by the other 2 creating space
*** the proven partnership Scheva/Kaka, harmonious and devastating
*** hard to imagine the slow tiny Dingo - who happen to be Brazilian by mistake - having a utility and protecting his central defenders
*** When I think about Nesta/Cannavaro and other Italian defenders at the final of the Euro 2000 in panick when dealing with the 20-year-old Thierry Henry etc.
*** So, yeah, only sheeps with a limited understanding of the game can believe Figueroa/Nesta/Dingo managing the offensive trio

All in all:

*** 2 Lateral defenders: Ecstatic
*** Battle Midfield: Ecstatic thanks to Sammer, enabling the team to have a 3-man or 4-man midfield
*** Offensive trio: Ecstatic
*** 2 full-time central defenders: Pat wins

And if I remove the voters who don't know Football, fair to say I have won this game in reality :cool: And this game has nothing to do with luck, all is about sheeps who by definition have a limited understanding of things!

Things have finally come full circle and I am pleased to finish up my on the drafts section with my preferred team built in 5 years. If I had won, maybe I would ahve taken a more glamorous central defender but it won't have changed anything given the superiority of the Ecstatic team. My previous game was in September 2019, I believe my times are gone here and it was great to have played these drafts in the past when I was discovering things

A typical @Ecstatic post :D
:D