The David Beckham Appreciation Thread

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Negative comments made about him by Fergie. Yet all he has to say is
I love this man.
It's interesting because the people who had something to do with Sir Alex all say 'yep fair play he can say what he likes' but then you have all these journo's just trying to wind everyone up. The fans are fecking mental going on about 'tarnishing his legacy' and shit. It's so delusional.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Ferguson has to make his publishers happy and a book to sell so what better way to do that but to include the odd slightly controversial bit about Beckham.

I'm sure he thought the world of Beckham and admired his footballing skills but Ferguson was ALL about football/the team and when Beckham became a brand and, in a way, bigger than the game it was always going to rub Ferguson up the wrong way. If he could I'm sure he'd have a team full of Scholes's for their off their field attitudes.

And why would Beckham react in any other way than he has to journalists trying to get him to bite and slag off his ex manager.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Fergie is chatting shit when it comes to Becks and it's sad to see. His performance level didn't drop at all. He was fantastic right til his last game here and always gave 100% in every match. Beckham loves the club and would never have left had Fergie not fallen out with him and wanted him gone. I never got the impression Becks thought he was "bigger than Fergie", far from it. He was always a team player and always performed on the pitch.
Yes they did drop, Becks wanted out too.

Also him showing off the stitches for the press after the boot incident was pathetic.

But I do believe Becks probably regrets that now.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Bollocks. His performance levels did drop. And Fergie rightly dropped him for it. His ego couldn't take it obviously. If he loved United he would have fought for his place. Instead he wanted to go live in sunny Madrid.

I'm grateful to him for what he did for United, as I am to CR7. But re-writing history to exagerrate his "love" for United is bollocks. The Beckham brand always came first.
How did they drop exactly? In terms of goalscoring he had one of his best ever seasons with 11 goals, had 9 official assists too which was at the top end of the list. And how did the "brand always come first"? Examples to back your point up would be nice.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yes they did drop, Becks wanted out too.

Also him showing off the stitches for the press after the boot incident was pathetic.

He didn't hold a press conference. He was papped in his car. How long do you feasibly think he could've hidden that for?

We can't very well trot out the "what happens in the dressing room" whilst discussing Fergie's tell all book can we?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Fergie is chatting shit when it comes to Becks and it's sad to see. His performance level didn't drop at all. He was fantastic right til his last game here and always gave 100% in every match. Beckham loves the club and would never have left had Fergie not fallen out with him and wanted him gone. I never got the impression Becks thought he was "bigger than Fergie", far from it. He was always a team player and always performed on the pitch.
Well in that case SAF must be wrong :lol: How the hell do you have the tiniest clue? You can only guess from the scraps we get? Truth is you or I won't have an absolute clue..

Brophs

The One and Only
Personally I think it's pretty obvious that Beckham wasn't the same player in his last season here. He still had some great performances but he wasn't at the level he had been. Whether that was the reason Fergie went sour on him, or as a consequence of falling out with Fergie I don't know.

Mockney

They have enough of the small details right to convince me that's almost certainly exactly how it happened.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Well in that case SAF must be wrong :lol: How the hell do you have the tiniest clue? You can only guess from the scraps we get? Truth is you or I won't have an absolute clue..
Oh no, you're not another one of those who think everything Fergie says is gospel are you? :nervous:

acnumber9

Oh no, you're not another one of those who think everything Fergie says is gospel are you? :nervous:
You'd rather take Beckham's word for it instead. A man so obsessed with celebrity he gave up playing football to go and live in America.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Who cares. Was a great home grown player who won it all with us. Left for big money and has only ever had praise for the club, it's players and staff. Beckkam is a class act and anyone who says otherwise is a thick.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
You'd rather take Beckham's word for it instead. A man so obsessed with celebrity he gave up playing football to go and live in America.
I'm not taking anyone's word for it, I'm forming my own opinion as I saw it. I didn't get the impression he thought he was bigger than Fergie at any time. Fergie obviously says he was so a lot on here are taking it as gospel as they have the rose-tinted specs on and don't believe SAF ever did or said anything wrong in his career. In a situation like that you'd probably need a neutral opinion of it, but Beckham has kept his dignity and class and refused to say a bad word about Ferguson.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I'm not taking anyone's word for it, I'm forming my own opinion as I saw it. I didn't get the impression he thought he was bigger than Fergie at any time. Fergie obviously says he was so a lot on here are taking it as gospel as they have the rose-tinted specs on and don't believe SAF ever did or said anything wrong in his career. In a situation like that you'd probably need a neutral opinion of it, but Beckham has kept his dignity and class and refused to say a bad word about Ferguson.

This, and not only this he actually has positive things to say about him and the club.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He didn't hold a press conference. He was papped in his car. How long do you feasibly think he could've hidden that for?

We can't very well trot out the "what happens in the dressing room" whilst discussing Fergie's tell all book can we?
He had his hair style changed to show off the scar FFS

Mockney

He didn't "change his hairstyle" he wore an alice band. Which he'd worn before. The cut was right over his eye (pretty much on his eyebrow) Exactly what hairstyle should he have worn to cover it? The Emo Fringe?

And Beckham's the one with an agenda? Us fans who make up our own backstories and motivations for events we weren't party to, and then decide they're definitely true. What are we?

Brophs

The One and Only
I don't think he changed his hairstyle, from memory. He just wore an alice band with it scraped back, which made it quite visible. Knowing what we do about Beckham, it's unlikely he didn't either do that knowingly, or at least do it without being concerned about the fallout, but to look at it from his perspective, why should he go out of his way to protect Fergie, given that he'd just kicked a boot in his face? He probably felt wronged.

And let's be honest, a story like this would have gotten out, alice band or not. Particularly when you consider that it has been said that Ashley Cole was in the dressing room at the time. What incentive would he have to keep it quiet?

CallyRed

I appreciate the Beckham family greatly.

Not only because of Beckham's career at Manchester United, but his sister cuts my hair.

Toss up which one I appreciate more tbh

acnumber9

On what evidence are you basing your assertion he would never have left?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
You don't expect a player who's still adored by United fans to go out and say 'I wanted out', do you? In my opinion he didn't really want to leave United but the celebrity bullshit + spice girl could have unsettle him and football became only one of the most not the most important things.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
You're taking Beckham's word then. Is that not what I said?
Did he hand a transfer request in before he went then? Or ever come out and say "I want to leave United"? Usually when players want to move they say these things y'know. Fergie would surely have confirmed this in his book, no? All that's there is some guff about him "hearing that Real Madrid were sniffing round him". Easy to say really.

Mockney

It's obviously daft to take anyone's side as gospel in this argument as none of us know anything. Problem is taking Fergie's side isn't nearly as blasphemous or controversial to Caf posters as taking Beckham's. I mean, he pathetically changed his hairstyle just so he could be papped whilst driving his car to training FFS. When any rational person would've worn a balaclava and burrowed underground.

acnumber9

Did he hand a transfer request in before he went then? Or ever come out and say "I want to leave United"? Usually when players want to move they say these things y'know. Fergie would surely have confirmed this in his book, no? All that's there is some guff about him "hearing that Real Madrid were sniffing round him". Easy to say really.
Beckham's every thought has to be okayed by a PR man. I'd take anything said with a pinch of salt. If he wants to stay it would've been very simple to do so. Ultimately you ridiculed taking Fergie's word for what happened and denied taking Beckham's before admitting you do.