The disrespect for Andy Cole

Djemba-Djemba

Coles PL record without penalties is the best is it not? or at least very close to Shearer.

He was insanely good and would be worth 120m+ these days
Without penalties he's only about 20 goals behind Shearer.

And yet Shearer is remembered as an all time great, which yeah fair enough, but Cole is always sort of belittled and dismissed.

It's very odd.

An English striker today scoring that many goals, having such a good record in the big games, winning that many trophies, they'd be an absolute superstar.

GueRed

Cole was considered an expensive flop in his first couple of years. Due to his form he was often ridiculed by the press, opposition fans, on radio phone-ins and TV shows like They Think It's All Over. This is where the disrespect stemmed from...Hoddle's comments too.

If we bought Shearer in 1996 I reckon that would've been the end for Cole at United. To his credit (and Fergie's faith in him..) Cole showed great character to come through those dark days of poor form, injury and illness.

From 1997 onwards he was top class and Fergie's main man up front until 2000. Sticking it up to all the critics.

1998-2000 he was on red hot form....one of the most feared number 9's in Europe, the years most United fans fondly look back on.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
From a Blackburn perspective, I liked him a lot. He gave our club such a big lift when he came in. Before he arrived, we were creating plenty of chances and dominating games, but wasting chances galore . Him scoring the winning goal against Tottenham in the 2002 League Cup, with their manager Hoddle one of his biggest critics, was especially sweet.

Even when he played for us, his all-round talent, skill on the ball, link-up play etc., was on display as well as his finishing. I was furious when Souness fell out with him, and we lost him to Fulham in the summer of 2004. I think he chipped in with important goals during that season at Fulham as well.

We tried to resurrect the Cole-Yorke partnership, but while Cole still remained a dedicated professional with us, Yorke was lazy and clearly wasn’t putting enough work (wasn’t that already the case during the back-end of his time at Utd?). The Cole-Jansen partnership during the 2nd half of 2001/2002 looked really good and was seemingly getting better, before it was sadly cut short by Jansen’s big injury during the summer of 2002.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yorke was lazy and clearly wasn’t putting enough work (wasn’t that already the case during the back-end of his time at Utd?
Yeah was going that way from the middle of Yorke’s second season with us. Winning the treble just seemed to drain any work ethic he had.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Yeah was going that way from the middle of Yorke’s second season with us. Winning the treble just seemed to drain any work ethic he had.
Yeah it wasn’t surprising that Keane was scathing of his attitude in the aftermath of the treble. I think Keane referred to talk from Yorke about ‘being happy even if he never won another trophy’ or something like that, which was clearly not going to sit well with him. And of course he enjoyed his late night parties.

At least during the 2nd half of his time at Utd, there was that hat-trick against Arsenal !

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Andy did an interview with The Beautiful Game podcast and with Keys and Grey, discussing the fact they did a top ten strikers on BBC and they didnt have him in the top ten (although Wrighty put him at number 10 after the fact, because he respected him or something.) Its got me thinking, He's scored 40 goals in a season, won the champions league, was at one point United's all time leading European goalscorer won the Premier League by scoring on the final day twice, scored more outfield goals than anyone. Put those stats with anyone else, and you're talking an all timer.

So what was it? People bang on about Michael Owens injuries, but Coley came to United with shin splints which effected him for 2 years. He broke his legs in a reserve game, and went down with pneumonia within his first 2 years at United. Yet nobody ever gives Coley that excuse when they talk about poor form. There seems to be a big dislike for him among pundits and the press, just because he didnt play the game Shearer and Owen did.

For me, he was absolutely brilliant. Even all those missed chances in his first few years, I look back on now and admire how great his positioning was. He goal machine whose pace and willingness to adapt to the team was first class.
Isn’t a lot of it about him never being ‘the guy’ for England?

Zen

Isn’t a lot of it about him never being ‘the guy’ for England?
Or that the 9 above him were - Shearer, Aguero, Kane, Ronaldo, Rooney, Suarez, Drogba, Ruud and Henry. All surely, undebatable?

I mean he was above his actual peers in the who's gonna partner Shearer endless list of Wright, Fowler, Ferdinand, Sheringham, as well as Owen, Jimmy Floyd, Vardy, Yorke, and Van Persie. And it's a list from 2020 - so maybe even Salah and Mane are in that discussion too.

I guess it comes down to how you judge it. He did a phenomenal 2 season run as well as good longevity.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Or that the 9 above him were - Shearer, Aguero, Kane, Ronaldo, Rooney, Suarez, Drogba, Ruud and Henry. All surely, undebatable?

I mean he was above his actual peers in the who's gonna partner Shearer endless list of Wright, Fowler, Ferdinand, Sheringham, as well as Owen, Jimmy Floyd, Vardy, Yorke, and Van Persie. And it's a list from 2020 - so maybe even Salah and Mane are in that discussion too.

I guess it comes down to how you judge it. He did a phenomenal 2 season run as well as good longevity.
Those 9 you list above him are all undebateable except Drogba.
Is Drogba regarded as better than Cole?
Goal records are chalk and cheese on one level.

Zen

Those 9 you list above him are all undebateable except Drogba.
Is Drogba regarded as better than Cole?
Goal records are chalk and cheese on one level.
Well, I'd assume so? He played multiple seasons in a heavy shut up shop when leading system. And still comes out with a 0.51 npg per 90, which is better than Cole.. while his monster season actually did lead Chelsea to just about edge the title, and again, statistically better on a per 90 basis all round.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well, I'd assume so? He played multiple seasons in a heavy shut up shop when leading system. And still comes out with a 0.51 npg per 90, which is better than Cole.. while his monster season actually did lead Chelsea to just about edge the title, and again, statistically better on a per 90 basis all round.
Different types of striker and probably Drogba should be compared more to a RVN for the 1 up front system and hold up type.

Cole typically played in a 2 and not only outscored Drogba's highest season but had 4 other 20+ seasons. Whereas Drogba only hit over 16 twice.

The rest aren't really arguable, but Drogba for me stood out.

Zen

Different types of striker and probably Drogba should be compared more to a RVN for the 1 up front system and hold up type.

Cole typically played in a 2 and not only outscored Drogba's highest season but had 4 other 20+ seasons. Whereas Drogba only hit over 16 twice.

The rest aren't really arguable, but Drogba for me stood out.
Either way, it's hardly hard to see why he didn't make some top 10 lists if you are at worst agreeing that all but 2 slots are undebatable. I mean, if it wasn't for the fact he was 5 years older, Les Ferdinand wouldn't be far off Andy Coles numbers. Both were done at a title challenger/top 5 level by 29ish. But that's a bit extreme, but also shows the fine lines in this kind of 'debate'.

Cole's a top striker, of course he is. But I'm not sure why he found it so insulting to be left out of top 10.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Chips, overheads, volleys, left foot right foot, headers screamers, title winners. He had one of the best goal collections of all time

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
You can look at a lot of strikers from yesteryear and point out how they would struggle with today's game. Give me that 98-01 Andy Cole in this side and we'd be flying. An absolute gem of a player.

Heard it said that we bought a striker in 1995 and sold a footballer in 2001 and I would go with that. He worked so hard to improve himself.

Oranges038

Watching PL 100 club now on Sky.

What a striker he was, scored every type of goal, his array was finishing was awesome.

There was one where he was Blackburn, Schmeichel was at Villa and he held off and rounded Big Pete 30 yards from goal and scored. Can't find a vid, but there was also this one.

AaronRedDevil

Him and Yorke are the reason I supported united. Never realised he’s 4th in the all top scorers in the PL. With little pens.

next_number_seven

Andy did an interview with The Beautiful Game podcast and with Keys and Grey, discussing the fact they did a top ten strikers on BBC and they didnt have him in the top ten (although Wrighty put him at number 10 after the fact, because he respected him or something.) Its got me thinking, He's scored 40 goals in a season, won the champions league, was at one point United's all time leading European goalscorer won the Premier League by scoring on the final day twice, scored more outfield goals than anyone. Put those stats with anyone else, and you're talking an all timer.

So what was it? People bang on about Michael Owens injuries, but Coley came to United with shin splints which effected him for 2 years. He broke his legs in a reserve game, and went down with pneumonia within his first 2 years at United. Yet nobody ever gives Coley that excuse when they talk about poor form. There seems to be a big dislike for him among pundits and the press, just because he didnt play the game Shearer and Owen did.

For me, he was absolutely brilliant. Even all those missed chances in his first few years, I look back on now and admire how great his positioning was. He goal machine whose pace and willingness to adapt to the team was first class.
He could be very frustrating to watch in his first few years.
We were very dominant and created lots of chances and he'd miss a few.

His touch and all round play wasn't the best either.
In '99 though he was legitimately one of the best strikers in the world. Everything seemed to click.

I think the fact he didn't really play for England counts against him also.

England were spoilt for strikers at that time.
Les Ferdinand hardly played for England either and he was a beast.

Shearer and Sheringham were such a good partnership, it was hard to break in.

You also had Fowler, Owen, Sutton, Wright, Dublin, Collymore

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

How is Ruud ahead of Andy Cole?

Spark

In '99 though he was legitimately one of the best strikers in the world. Everything seemed to click.

Bar Owen, Cole was shoulders above all of those players at the time. However, I remember my dad at the time saying that Andy Cole was hated by the England set up for some reason.

Saying that, I think we'll be having the same conversations about Rashford in 20 years time. He's obviously having a cracking season, but genuinely don't see him ever being a full starter for England with Southgate at the helm. The best he can hope for is 30 seconds off the bench with the game already lost.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

If it's a premier league list then Suarez, Drogba and RVN are very debatable frankly. There's a couple others I would question as well but I don't want to enrage people :lol:

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

It wasn't hard to break in. Venables decided Shearer was his guy and stuck with him even though he went 10 games without scoring in the run up to the Euros. Then he did well at the Euros which isn't a surprise because he knew he had that level of support. Any one of those top strikers (Fowler, Cole Ferdinand etc.) could have done well with that kind of backing. For guys like Cole and Collymore, they got two chances and if they didn't score they were out of the team.

Oranges038

That doesn't add up. Fowler and Owen aside, the rest played nowhere near as much for England as Cole.

Owen - 89 caps
Fowler - 26 caps
Andy Cole - 15 caps
Chris Sutton - 1 Cap
Dublin - 4 caps
Collymore - 3 caps

You also had Hoddle bring Sheringham, Les Ferdinand, Shearer and Owen to France 98. The former two scored about 20 goals between them the previous season. Whereas Sutton and Dublin were joint top scorers with Owen on 18, Cole had 16 in the league.

Hoddle's excuse was, as he said Cole needed 7 or 8 chances to score.

whitbyviking

What was the story with Cole and Sheringham? Do people think that might have affected his standing with the England international set up?

Simbo

He was decent, any side would of been happy to have him I'm sure, but he was hardly a top striker that teams build around. Yorke was the talisman. I certainly wouldn't have him in a top 10 list.

I just remember Cole as needing at least 5 chances to finally find the back of the net, and he got fed a lot of good chances. Had his best years at Newcastle before coming to us.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
My lasting memory of Cole is always this goal vs Barcelona.

At Chelsea we always talk about the incredible partnership between JFH and Gudjohnsen but Cole x Yorke was always the pair that set the standards.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Labelled up my Subbuteo striker with 9 Cole on the back written in felt tip.

During a living room game someone stepped over the pitch and stood on cole, breaking both his legs.
The very next week Ruddock broke Cole's legs, both of them,

Truly voodoo stuff.

Loved him as a player. Amazing goal scorer.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
What was the story with Cole and Sheringham? Do people think that might have affected his standing with the England international set up?
A very weird thing where Cole once came on as sub for England replacing Sheringham and Sheringham didn't acknowledge him and Cole has not liked him ever since. They didn't speak at all when they were together at United, which is bonkers to consider.

Edit: there may well be more to it than that but that's the official version.

Last edited:

next_number_seven

That doesn't add up. Fowler and Owen aside, the rest played nowhere near as much for England as Cole.

Owen - 89 caps
Fowler - 26 caps
Andy Cole - 15 caps
Chris Sutton - 1 Cap
Dublin - 4 caps
Collymore - 3 caps

You also had Hoddle bring Sheringham, Les Ferdinand, Shearer and Owen to France 98. The former two scored about 20 goals between them the previous season. Whereas Sutton and Dublin were joint top scorers with Owen on 18, Cole had 16 in the league.

Hoddle's excuse was, as he said Cole needed 7 or 8 chances to score.
I'm just saying he didn't play much for England cos of the amount of competition and that stands against him in making lists of great strikers if you're not making your national team.

I think Hoddle didn't bring him to France 98 cos Sheringham and Ferdinand offered something different and Cole was more similar to Owen and Shearer.

I know he's numbers are great but I remember finding him frustrating to watch at times.

Anyway he had a great career and won more than the other England strikers put together.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He was decent, any side would of been happy to have him I'm sure, but he was hardly a top striker that teams build around. Yorke was the talisman. I certainly wouldn't have him in a top 10 list.

I just remember Cole as needing at least 5 chances to finally find the back of the net, and he got fed a lot of good chances. Had his best years at Newcastle before coming to us.
You remember that because Glenn Hoddle told you to remember that. It's objectively nonsense.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I always thought his earlier years with us was quite frustrating to watch (keep missing easy chances), while his latter years with us (especially his partnership with Yorke) was quite excellent.

Simbo

You remember that because Glenn Hoddle told you to remember that. It's objectively nonsense.
The feck has Glenn Hoddle got to do with it? I remember it cos he frustrated the hell out of me.