The Double Draft - R1: DavidG vs Skizzo/Pat

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
VS

........................................... Team DavidG ....................................................................................... Team Skizzo/Pat ....................................

TEAM DAVIDG

GOALKEEPER

For me, an important position in this draft and glad to see my opponent has also gone with an all time great. in 100 years, Buffon will still be talked about as one of the greatest goalkeepers ever to have played the game. Immense between the sticks and has the trophy cabinet befitting of such a talent .

DEFENCE

There isn't a single team in this draft that is going to find it easy to break down those formidable 3 central defenders. Tresor will sit slightly deeper than the two Italian's mopping up any threat over the top with his immense speed and strength. Having played together in arguably the greatest defence of all time, Maldini and Costacurta have an undoubted understanding of each other. Maldini for me, is only rivalled by Beckenbaeur as the greatest defender of all time, and since he is unfortunately got T-bola'd, it makes him the best in this draft. As such, he is given the captains armband.

Marcelo and the youngest player drafted ( I think?) Hector Bellerin occupy the wing back slots, with a lot of emphasis placed on their defence. Both, particularly Bellerin, have enough pace to ensure that no striker/midfielder is going to outrun them, and both offer a lot going the other way. If Henry occupies his favourite spot of cutting in from the left, he is going to be in for a big shock when up against Bellerin as he, unlike few other people, can genuinely beat Henry for pace.

I am not going to try and oversell Marcelo or Bellerin as world class defenders , but both have enough about them to deal with the respective threats on either side . They will be working hard but I am really expecting them to shine more on the offensive side .

MIDFIELD

Petit and Didi together works for me, with the hard-working, tough tackling versatility of Petit playing foil to the deep-lying creativity of Didi. As one of the greatest deep-lying playmakers of all time, Didi will be seeing a lot of the ball and dictating from the middle third of the pitch. Nedved and Moreno ( as indicated by their arrows) will be assisting the midfield when not in possession, with both renowned for their defensive contribution. However, where they will really shine is offensively, as they will be tasked with supplying Muller with an obscene amount of through balls, balls into feet and balls over the top. Both Nedved and Moreno are more than capable of providing the goals themselves, but it is their creativity that will shine in this system. In attack, both have effectively been handed a free role, taking up whichever position is best to combine with Didi/ Petit or the overlapping wing-backs.

ATTACK

Gerd Muller is arguably the greatest pure finisher in the history of the game. He will thrive up top in this formation, with so many different ways in which he can be assisted. Bellerin overlapping with his pace to get in behind, Marcelo using his insane dribbling to get in behind, Nedved, Moreno and Didi playing such a variety of through-balls that Muller simply would not fail to score in this set-up.

WHY WE WOULD WIN

The defensive intelligence is unquestionable, and the two wing backs are among the best in the current game. Anyone doubting Bellerin as my youth choice, A) I had to pick one B) He made the PFA team of the year C) Raised in La masia D) Barcelona have expressed interest in bringing him back. He is a raw talent and his pace is enough to scare any defender in this draft when he is attacking and enough to nullify the pacy threat of any left midfielders/ forwards.

Petit although appearing to be a weak link, fits this system so well and his achievements in the game shouldn't be overlooked. He and Didi compliment each other well enough and in Verratti, Rijkaard and Schuster, they aren't dealing with TOO much attacking threat through central midfield ( assuming Skizzo and Pat use those 3). Totti may operate between my defence and midfield but with the help of Nedved and Moreno when we are defending, there is no threat at all of my team being overrun.

In terms of attack, Muller is simply better than Henry and solskjaer and in my opinion more likely to get on the scoresheet. Nedved and Moreno are going to be so difficult to pick up with their free-roaming and interchanging across the final third, and I would fully expect them to cause most defences in this draft havoc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TEAM SKIZZO/PAT

Formation - 4-3-3 (False 9)

The Lineup:

In goal we have Pat Jennings, the great keeper from Northern Ireland, who played for two of North London's best clubs. He'll be in the sticks behind Jurgen Kohler and Morten Olsen. The World Cup winning German was known for his physical abilities, and was a great one on one defender. His Danish partner was a stylish player, and was comfortable in a variety of positions, but settled into defense in his early 30's and thrived.

The full back positions will be manned by Antonio Cabrini and Danny McGrain. The Italian is regarded as one of the greatest Italian defenders of all time, and was highly regarded for his technical abilities and athleticism. The Scot was regarded as one of the best players in the 70's based on his performances at club and international level, and earned rave reviews,

The midfield unit is manned by two of the greatest players of all time, and one of the best young talents in world football today. Frank Rijkaard hardly needs an introduction, and the Dutchman will take his position at the base of our midfield. Wim Van Hanegem is regarded in the Netherlands as one of their greatest players. Technically sound, and a fantastic passer of the ball, he never shied away from the defensive side of the game either. Marco Verratti has been touted as the next big thing for a couple of years now, and has put forth some performances way beyond his years. His passing, ability to hold the ball, and work rate on both sides will fit perfectly into our midfield unit here.

The front three are a trio of fantastic talents who can link play, find space, possess the ball, and most importantly, find the net. Francesco Totti will be taking up the role he made famous as the False 9. His ability on the ball will be crucial in finding the runs from all the movement around him. Thierry Henry will be looking to cut in from the left, running in at goal as we saw him do almost on a weekly basis as he found the far corners. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will look to use his movement and work rate on the other side to move in on goal, or link play as he often unselfishly did.

Gameplan:

We're under no illusion about the quality of the opposition, mainly in attack. With that in mind, we understand the need to play to our strengths, in a way that limits the oppositions. Based on the opposition players, we know that it could be either a 2 or 3 man midfield, depending on if Stiles players or not. It doesn't change our tactics though, because we will still have the higher work rate and creativity from midfield. Rijkaard-Van Hanegem-Verratti will be too much for a pairing of Petit/Didi, especially in terms of work rate. That allows us to maintain the possession advantage, and win the midfield battle.

With both of our full backs capable of playing the game both ways, we'll look to get them forward as often as possible to create chances on the overlap. Rijkaard and Olsen are almost interchangeable in terms of their positions, and we can drop in to create a back 3 when necessary. They also provide cover when the full backs attack.

We'll be looking to create openings with the movement of our attackers, especially as Totti looks to drop deeper with Henry/Ole cutting inside. While DavidG has some formidable defenders, there's also the standout in Bellerin, who will be tasked with keeping tabs on Henry, or an overlapping Cabrini. A lot for most defenders, perhaps a step too far for one who hasn't peaked yet.

I'm sure there will be more in depth discussion during the match, so this is just a basic overview. And here's a few clips to highlight some of our above points.

A clip of Verratti against Barcelona, highlighting his ability on the ball, as well as his positioning and work rate, since we already know how good his passing is.

Plenty of Totti highlights been posted before, here's one more specific to this match :p

And one of another of our strikers scoring on a young Buffon

and yes both of those videos are somewhat tongue in cheek, but i didn't see the point in posting the same highlight clips of the same players draft after draft :)

Good luck @DavidG !

Last edited:

Deleted member 101472

First thing I wasn't expecting and don't know why I overlooked is van hanegem in the middle but don't think that midfield is offering too much offensive threat ( pace in particular ) to overly trouble us .

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
with a lot of emphasis placed on their defence
I don't understand why people keep picking Marcelo in these things if the aspect quoted above is important to the game plan: There's no shame in admitting that Marcelo simply isn't a very astute defender - he has obvious strengths, there's no need to pretend he's actually a decent defender on top of that. He isn't - and he certainly isn't in an all-time context.

Deleted member 101472

I don't understand why people keep picking Marcelo in these things if the aspect quoted above is important to the game plan: There's no shame in admitting that Marcelo simply isn't a very astute defender - he has obvious strengths, there's no need to pretend he's actually a decent defender on top of that. He isn't - and he certainly isn't in an all-time context.
A lot of emphasis on defence doesn't mean that I'm putting him in an all time context . He is clearly capable of playing along that entire left flank , and whilst his defensive demand is high , I'm more interested in his contribution going forward as it can be incredibly effective .

Marcelo performs well in the current Real Madrid back line of 4. There he has Pepe or Ramos at LCB, and here he has Maldini and that's a HUGE upgrade . Even if Marcelo were to be sent off in this game , I would fully expect Maldini to do a good enough job against solskjaer and Mcgrain

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, that's fair enough - but why not say it like it is: He's there to contribute offensively - that's his main function, that's why he's in the team. I mean, that is the truth - right? It's true for Real Madrid too - if they needed a defensively sound LB, he wouldn't play.

Deleted member 101472

Well, that's fair enough - but why not say it like it is: He's there to contribute offensively - that's his main function, that's why he's in the team. I mean, that is the truth - right? It's true for Real Madrid too - if they needed a defensively sound LB, he wouldn't play.
yes he's there to contribute offensively which he can do as good as almost any left back in the current game . No I wouldn't class him as a world class defensive left back but good enough to be effective against solskjaer/ Mcgrain? I'd say so.

Enigma_87

You know who
He's one of the best going forward. Provides a lot of width and options up front. Here he has protection from Maldini so even if he's skinned on the left there's Paolo providing cover. I've picked him before and in narrow formations he's excellent asset to have because he'll provide you attacking quality of one of the best in recent past as he's important cog in Real's left flank. Sure he falls short in defensive sense so he should have a cover. I've picked him before and covered him with Davids as LCM which is even better than Di Maria who used to cover him at Real.

If we go by his attributes and qualities - he's athletic, fast and agile. With a good protection he's a valuable to have and capable of regaining position.

IMO if you protect him either with a left side b2b or holding midfielder(or here even better with a LCB) he'd be ok.

At a first glance what pops up more is DavidG going with a 3 man backline. That's pretty much what Skizzo/Pat expected and he's surrendering possession and going on counter.

On one hand that's probably smart move given he won't win the midfield battle whatever he puts as Rijkaard, Van Hanegem and Verratti have better work rate and more quality overall both in getting the ball back and in creativity going forward. But if that's the case I'd much rather have Marcelo on free role moving Nedved in the middle with the former manning the whole left flank and Nedved linking up the midfield with Muller.

As it stands with a midfield 2 the main creative force is Didi who will be pretty crowded and S/P could probably cut the supply to the forward three.

If we revert the situation, does DavidG require to be a back three is what I'm pondering. Especially with Totti as a false 9. In that sense I'd much rather have someone like Busquets who is a DM that can drop into a back 3 or a libero who can push forward and give some space to Didi when carrying the ball from the back. I don't think Tresor is that man. With Totti dropping back he'll allow more space for Solskjaer and Henry cutting in so a DM with top 2 CB's makes more sense to me. Petit can cover for Marcelo if needed leaving Nedved/Didi in the middle.

For me the biggest concern here is how will @DavidG get the ball to his front three given his midfield will be starved of the ball.

@DavidG who do you have as a sub in DM position?

Deleted member 101472

He's one of the best going forward. Provides a lot of width and options up front. Here he has protection from Maldini so even if he's skinned on the left there's Paolo providing cover. I've picked him before and in narrow formations he's excellent asset to have because he'll provide you attacking quality of one of the best in recent past as he's important cog in Real's left flank. Sure he falls short in defensive sense so he should have a cover. I've picked him before and covered him with Davids as LCM which is even better than Di Maria who used to cover him at Real.

If we go by his attributes and qualities - he's athletic, fast and agile. With a good protection he's a valuable to have and capable of regaining position.

IMO if you protect him either with a left side b2b or holding midfielder(or here even better with a LCB) he'd be ok.

At a first glance what pops up more is DavidG going with a 3 man backline. That's pretty much what Skizzo/Pat expected and he's surrendering possession and going on counter.

On one hand that's probably smart move given he won't win the midfield battle whatever he puts as Rijkaard, Van Hanegem and Verratti have better work rate and more quality overall both in getting the ball back and in creativity going forward. But if that's the case I'd much rather have Marcelo on free role moving Nedved in the middle with the former manning the whole left flank and Nedved linking up the midfield with Muller.

As it stands with a midfield 2 the main creative force is Didi who will be pretty crowded and S/P could probably cut the supply to the forward three.

If we revert the situation, does DavidG require to be a back three is what I'm pondering. Especially with Totti as a false 9. In that sense I'd much rather have someone like Busquets who is a DM that can drop into a back 3 or a libero who can push forward and give some space to Didi when carrying the ball from the back. I don't think Tresor is that man. With Totti dropping back he'll allow more space for Solskjaer and Henry cutting in so a DM with top 2 CB's makes more sense to me. Petit can cover for Marcelo if needed leaving Nedved/Didi in the middle.

For me the biggest concern here is how will @DavidG get the ball to his front three given his midfield will be starved of the ball.

@DavidG who do you have as a sub in DM position?
Nobby stiles

Deleted member 101472

I don't see how the midfield will be " starved " of the ball . Both nedved and Moreno are working back when we don't have the ball, so petit and didi aren't going to be overrun.

And Van hanegem , rijkaard and Verratti are not going to be pressing too high , so when didi does have the ball he's likely going to have a lot of time on it , which is where he is most devastating .

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't think anyone - ever - has disagreed with that.

It wasn't my point, though.
My point is that Marcelo is not completely inept defensively. He's an excellent athlete. He needs cover because he tends to rush into tackles which leaves his position and space behind him. He does however possess pace and acceleration to track back.

I get the feeling that he's regarded as a complete dope when it comes to the defensive aspect in his game. Sure his main contribution is attack and he's not at Carlos or Alaba level defensively, but it's not like Pepe/Ramos defense is one of the best even in the current era to mop behind him(or even Di Maria as LCM) and he has kept his place in a successful Real team for a decade.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't see how the midfield will be " starved " of the ball . Both nedved and Moreno are working back when we don't have the ball, so petit and didi aren't going to be overrun.

And Van hanegem , rijkaard and Verratti are not going to be pressing too high , so when didi does have the ball he's likely going to have a lot of time on it , which is where he is most devastating .
With no #10 in your side Rijkaard can push up as he did in his Milan days when they were playing in a high line(not saying S/P are but he'll probably be more aggressive in that sense in the current set up).

From the look of the set up it seems that Nedved and Moreno are helping out wide when Marcelo and Bellerin are overlapping or when you are off the ball to counter Cabrini/McGrain pushing up which again leaves Petit/Didi in the center.

Maybe it's just me but with Nobby behind your midfield duo to track Totti and Maldini/Costacurta as a CB pair covering for the wide threat is better while Nedved in the center could cover a lot of ground and link your midfield and attack. That's my .02. :)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
...but it's not like Pepe/Ramos defense is one of the best even in the current era to mop behind him(or even Di Maria as LCM) and he has kept his place in a successful Real team for a decade.
Yes, but he has frequently struggled defensively against top level opposition.

It's a trade-off: His offensive contribution is important - and has been so under several managers. So, his lack of defensive nous is a price worth paying.

Something similar is true for many modern fullbacks. What I have an issue with is that people who pick him seem very reluctant to admit that he's actually a bit shit defensively - which is the truth, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not talking about athleticism, I'm talking about natural ability as a defender.

Valencia is a bit shit at RB too, because he doesn't really know how to defend properly. It doesn't mean that he's a constant liability against all kinds of opposition, or that he can't - in some cases - compensate for his shortcomings with pure speed and/or physique.

However, this shouldn't be another Marcelo debate: He's fine in the current set-up, tactically. I don't rate him particularly highly in an all-time context (which this is, lest anyone forgets), but that's another matter. He isn't a tactical misfit as long as one doesn't expect him to defend very well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 101472

With no #10 in your side Rijkaard can push up as he did in his Milan days when they were playing in a high line(not saying S/P are but he'll probably be more aggressive in that sense in the current set up).

From the look of the set up it seems that Nedved and Moreno are helping out wide when Marcelo and Bellerin are overlapping or when you are off the ball to counter Cabrini/McGrain pushing up which again leaves Petit/Didi in the center.

Maybe it's just me but with Nobby behind your midfield duo to track Totti and Maldini/Costacurta as a CB pair covering for the wide threat is better while Nedved in the center could cover a lot of ground and link your midfield and attack. That's my .02. :)
I deliberated a lot over my formation but settled for this one due to the opposition . There is enough coverage in defence that it's going to be exceptionally hard for anyone to break that down.

I will assess later and if required will switch it up with a sub

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
First thing I wasn't expecting and don't know why I overlooked is van hanegem in the middle but don't think that midfield is offering too much offensive threat ( pace in particular ) to overly trouble us .
Agreed. Defensively and possession wise it looks quality but it lacks forward momentum.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Im going with skizzo/pat in this one, minimal win but a win.
They are winning the midfield battle, i see some are questioning lack of creativity in there and while thats true they also have Totti as a false nine, player that performed in similar setups where he was the only creative spark for majority of his career and taking in mind the opponents plan to stop him, i can see him having a good game. Left side of skizzo/pat will win the game, Cabrini - Bellerin is a big mismatch and i can see Henry getting the better of Costacurta.
On the other hand, as i already said - they will win the midfield battle so davidg is against a midfield wall of 3 players that are fantastic defensively, Muller is against Kohler which is a good man mark the goalscoring machine. Marcelo is a asset going forwards but not good enough to win this game.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This game suits Marcelo. First, he's in a 3-4-2-1 and has the freedom to go forward. Second, he's up against Solskjaer, who did really well when moved briefly to the right wing around 2002/03 or so, but is no great shakes in this context. Third, he's got Maldini behind him. Fourth, he's got Nedved in front of him who will naturally occupy the inside-left channel.

Anyway, both left flanks look dominant. I can see SkizzoPat generally controlling matters, but they may find such a potent defence difficult to break down. Similarly, I can see DavidG looking swashbuckling on the counter, but similarly up against a solid defensive core.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Second, he's up against Solskjaer, who did really when moved briefly to the right wing around 2002/03 or so, but is no great shakes in this context.
While its positive that he played there before this is totally different role and IMO the only role where Solskjaer can play at this level and not be considered a handicap. Four things that are crucial for his role and he excels in all - off the ball movement, finishing, work rate and selflessness. Mind you, he isnt against Marcelo he is mainly against Maldini so he wont do anything TBF but i really like the way they used him.

Deleted member 101472

the pace of skizzo/ pat's midfield works in my favour IMO. Verratti is a wonderful player but when i've watched him he likes to slow the game down and control things at his pace. Neither of the other two are renowned for their pace in transition, so whilst they may play some nice tiki-taka between them, its just going to give more time for Nedved and Moreno to either pressure the midfielder on the ball or get back into some open space on the field making my team even more difficult to break down. With the pace I have in the wing-backs, the counter attack potential for this side is devastating.

Skizzo

It doesn't always require blistering pace for possession and movement to be effective. Totti made this role famous with his ability to find space in between the lines, and theres no defensive midfielder here to plug up that hole. Then there's the ability of all of our midfielders to make runs, and find those incisive passes. Verratti is just as able to move the ball forward quickly as he is to knock the ball around. Look at this Roma goal against Genoa, movement from the forwards, overlapping runs, and quick passes...and we have all the same qualities in our side here.

Skizzo

And here's the Verratti compilation (one of many that highlight his qualities), with plenty of one touch then a forward pass behind the lines finding runners. There's no reason to think he's going to sit there and knock the ball around in the midfield. The plus side is that he IS also able to do that when we need to hold possession to slow the game down or protect a lead.

Deleted member 101472

It doesn't always require blistering pace for possession and movement to be effective. Totti made this role famous with his ability to find space in between the lines, and theres no defensive midfielder here to plug up that hole. Then there's the ability of all of our midfielders to make runs, and find those incisive passes. Verratti is just as able to move the ball forward quickly as he is to knock the ball around. Look at this Roma goal against Genoa, movement from the forwards, overlapping runs, and quick passes...and we have all the same qualities in our side here.

I love totti , hes a legend , but this goal is against Genoa and it's a little bit different . For example in my set up , you have tresor sweeping , so that through ball from totti is going to be cut out by him .

And if you are trying to say that your midfield in that set up would play as quick as Roma do on This attack then we have differing views . Verratti CAN play quicker the same way Dani alves could probably stay in his defensive RB position , but it's not how he usually plays . I think trying to pass Verratti off as anything other than an amazing dictator of the game from deep is a mistake .

Skizzo

I love totti , hes a legend , but this goal is against Genoa and it's a little bit different . For example in my set up , you have tresor sweeping , so that through ball from totti is going to be cut out by him .

And if you are trying to say that your midfield in that set up would play as quick as Roma do on This attack then we have differing views . Verratti CAN play quicker the same way Dani alves could probably stay in his defensive RB position , but it's not how he usually plays . I think trying to pass Verratti off as anything other than an amazing dictator of the game from deep is a mistake .
Just because you have a sweeper, doesn't mean he cuts out every through ball. He moves over to cover that run, then Henry is making a run elsewhere. It's the general argument that a sweeper = no through balls. It doesn't always add up like that. Plus if you keep him sweeping behind your back two, it just leaves Totti free to roam in that hole in front of your defense anyway.

As for Verratti, the compilation above shows his ability to play it forward quickly. He's more than capable of taking a touch and playing it in to the forwards feet, or in behind the defense to someone making a run. At PSG he doesn't have the movement of Totti, Henry and Ole ahead of him, plus with Rijkaard covering in behind with no AM in your side, it free's him up even more. Trying to downplay him and his ability could be severely detrimental to your side since he's playing up against no direct threat or competition himself.

On the flip side, your legacy player is embroiled in a midfield battle he's destined to lose, and your youth player is up against a peak Henry who thrived on cutting in from the left into that space to find the back of the net. It's stacking the odds in our favour by placing our "weak" players in a strong position, and exploiting yours.

Look at this for example, Henry matching up against the center back, there's a defender covering deeper, and another on the far side. The right back is tracking back, but Henry still creates space and finds the net.

Deleted member 101472

Just because you have a sweeper, doesn't mean he cuts out every through ball. He moves over to cover that run, then Henry is making a run elsewhere. It's the general argument that a sweeper = no through balls. It doesn't always add up like that. Plus if you keep him sweeping behind your back two, it just leaves Totti free to roam in that hole in front of your defense anyway.

As for Verratti, the compilation above shows his ability to play it forward quickly. He's more than capable of taking a touch and playing it in to the forwards feet, or in behind the defense to someone making a run. At PSG he doesn't have the movement of Totti, Henry and Ole ahead of him, plus with Rijkaard covering in behind with no AM in your side, it free's him up even more. Trying to downplay him and his ability could be severely detrimental to your side since he's playing up against no direct threat or competition himself.

On the flip side, your legacy player is embroiled in a midfield battle he's destined to lose, and your youth player is up against a peak Henry who thrived on cutting in from the left into that space to find the back of the net. It's stacking the odds in our favour by placing our "weak" players in a strong position, and exploiting yours.

Look at this for example, Henry matching up against the center back, there's a defender covering deeper, and another on the far side. The right back is tracking back, but Henry still creates space and finds the net.

This gif is irrelevant . It's not a Southampton defence he's up against .

Deleted member 101472

There is not one AM in my attack but 2. Both have been given free roles . So they will be appearing all over the final third as detailed in my OP . Is rijkaard going to be picking up both nedved and Moreno when they cut in field ? He's hardly going to have an easy game here .

Skizzo

There is not one AM in my attack but 2. Both have been given free roles . So they will be appearing all over the final third as detailed in my OP . Is rijkaard going to be picking up both nedved and Moreno when they cut in field ? He's hardly going to have an easy game here .
Two players with free roles in a counter attacking team are going to be cutting in centrally? I'm sure Rijkaard would love it if that's how they decided to use that space. Although I'm not sure what Verratti and Van Hanegem are doing during this...

This gif is irrelevant . It's not a Southampton defence he's up against .
It's not meant to highlight that he'd tear your defense apart like its Southampton, it shows that if he finds the space one on one with Costacurta after moving in from the left, that he has the ability to do damage, even with a covering defender in behind.

MDFC Manager

DavidG's setup seems quite reliant on Marcelo and Belerin to be heavily involved and do good jobs, and unfortunately, both look out of place in an all time draft for me. Especially the latter, who'll likely have a torrid time against Henry and Cabrini.

I do not see the utility of Rijkard in Skizzo's team though.

Deleted member 101472

DavidG's setup seems quite reliant on Marcelo and Belerin to be heavily involved and do good jobs, and unfortunately, both look out of place in an all time draft for me. Especially the latter, who'll likely have a torrid time against Henry and Cabrini.

I do not see the utility of Rijkard in Skizzo's team though.
Moreno was known for his tracking back and covering the whole right side so he's not going to be alone here . Plus bellerin is arguably the fastest player in this entire draft , and whatever anyone thinks , that counts . Henry and carbrini are not going to be beating him for pace , and carbrini is going to have to gauge how far he wants to go with the prospect of bellerin Countering and carbrini being unable to catch him .

Deleted member 101472

Two players with free roles in a counter attacking team are going to be cutting in centrally? I'm sure Rijkaard would love it if that's how they decided to use that space. Although I'm not sure what Verratti and Van Hanegem are doing during this...

It's not meant to highlight that he'd tear your defense apart like its Southampton, it shows that if he finds the space one on one with Costacurta after moving in from the left, that he has the ability to do damage, even with a covering defender in behind.
In which case I give you ;

The amount of times he finds space between the two cb's is uncanny , doesn't matter who he comes up against , he's scoring , that's why he's one of the only international players In history ( and the only one who really matters ) with a more goals than games ratio .

Deleted member 101472

If Marcelo were up against Cafu and Garrincha I would understand him being out of place . But skizzos tactics dictate that he's only going to have to deal with solskjaer and Mcgrain , which is hardly overwhelming . He absolutely does not look out of place in this game in particular , especially with Maldini beside him . Can solskjaer and Mcgrain deal with Marcelo's threat going forward ? I'm not so sure .

Skizzo

If Marcelo were up against Cafu and Garrincha I would understand him being out of place . But skizzos tactics dictate that he's only going to have to deal with solskjaer and Mcgrain , which is hardly overwhelming . He absolutely does not look out of place in this game in particular , especially with Maldini beside him . Can solskjaer and Mcgrain deal with Marcelo's threat going forward ? I'm not so sure .
I don't think you know enough about McGrain since every time you've referred to him so far you make him out to be a weak link...

Especially when you allege that Bellerin has enough to shut down Henry and Cabrini just because he's quick.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Unless Nedved and Moreno are both going to have the ball at the same time, I fail to see this argument. He's not man marking, so should be OK.

Deleted member 101472

I don't think you know enough about McGrain since every time you've referred to him so far you make him out to be a weak link...

Especially when you allege that Bellerin has enough to shut down Henry and Cabrini just because he's quick.
Bellerin is my youth player . Do you want me to just not find anything good about him ? He's more than capable of providing a threat here .

I grew up in a Celtic family and had a season ticket for 4 years . Believe me, I know a lot about Mcgrain. He's just not as formidable a right back as some others . Your right side influenced my decision to go with Marcelo, however if the results keep going the way they are I will revert to plan B.

Deleted member 101472

Unless Nedved and Moreno are both going to have the ball at the same time, I fail to see this argument. He's not man marking, so should be OK.
My point is that both players have been given a free role , so they can pop up anywhere in the final third . skizzo hasn't really mentioned how he's going to deal with that .

Skizzo

Bellerin is my youth player . Do you want me to just not find anything good about him ? He's more than capable of providing a threat here .

I grew up in a Celtic family and had a season ticket for 4 years . Believe me, I know a lot about Mcgrain. He's just not as formidable a right back as some others . Your right side influenced my decision to go with Marcelo, however if the results keep going the way they are I will revert to plan B.
Don't get me wrong, there's certainly good things about Bellerin, but it's all about the context here. I think he'll be a very good full back, but as you said yourself, he's still raw...I don't see that working out well against the caliber of opponent here in Henry and Cabrini.

As for the plan of dealing with Nedved and Moreno? What do I need to commit to? Rijkaard is there, Verratti and Van Hanegem are both hard workers on defense, and Kohler is tracking Muller...which leaves both full backs and Olsen still free in case you attack with more.