The Double Draft - R1: Downcast vs Tuppet

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
So liked and popular was Puskas in Madrid that in his testimonial match that was usually accorded players of distinction at Real Madrid after their retirement from the club, nearly eighty thousand people attended Puskas' own at the Bernabéu Stadium on May 26th, 1969. Huge numbers of supporters turned out for the occasion on a Monday evening in one great, emotional night against Rapid Vienna as a poignant sendoff for a much fondly remembered legend after nine years as one of the greatest-ever players to wear the all-white strip that brought him a place in the hearts of Real Madrid fans. Conversely, three days later, the event taking place at the Bernabéu had been Europe's championship Cup Final between Ajax and Milan merely watched by 32,000 spectators which only speaks of the joyous and warm acclaim by which Puskas was held at Real Madrid.

Puskas, the greatest goalscorer in history and naturally one of its famous greatest leaders in Spain with Real Madrid teamates Jose SantaMaria, recognized as one of the greatest centerbacks in history and Alfredo di Stefano, the greatest center-foward in history.
Powerhouse that he was, a most noble quality of magnanimity to strangers in need was there during, above and beyond his working active years in football parks where he was wholeheartedly supported all his life. After the 1956 Uprising there were pockets of Hungarian expatriates in every major city in the West. While traveling with Real Madrid and beyond, he became a veritable consulate for members of these communities, ready to lend his support financial or otherwise to those who were most in need that enlarged his character. Wherever people were interested in aid and alleviation, there Puskas went as pleasing charming intercessor that gives us the whole man. Puskas’ story illustrates a remarkable Horatio Alger tale of a self-made man and generous to a fault player rising to the pinnacle of the game from humble origins from those youth games in the late 1930s.

The eminent position of Puskás in the field of football is attested by the many successes that crowned his efforts, first becoming Olympic champion, then a very big accomplishment, then European champion in 1953, World Cup finalist in 1954, in addition to being the top goal scorer in the 20th century at top-flight football in Europe and the century’s top goal scorer in the international game who is united to three ultra-prestigious European Champions Cup (1959, 1960, 1966) titles, 1 acclaimed Intercontinental world title (the 1960 inaugural title match), 11 national championship crowns (5 Hungarian Nemzeti Bajnokság & 6 Spanish Primera División) and 8 top individual Most Valuable Player (MVP) scoring honors. A whole generation will best remember Ferenc Puskas as a master player intimately associated with six prestigious European Cup Final matches. Others will recall him for his gaily illustrated goals and exploits with Honved and Hungary while teamed with Sandor Kocsis, who, both, unwittingly, were prophets of the European Cup that began in 1955 with a celebrated encounter (the 'de facto' European championship final between Wolverhampton and Honved) in December at the Molineux in 1954.

The dean of twentieth century goal scorers, Puskas would retire just as the game was assuming a tone that was becoming more and more conservative and stifling. For the next quarter century of his life when Puskas was no longer producing on the pitch he was now contributing his time as a coach and as an elder statesman also that made his own earlier work live for younger generations. He chose a consecutive journey-work life in management and chose that medium for his last message because he felt obliged to tutor and bring mentoring light to youngsters with a grand coaching tour that took him to far away clubs on five continents as a citizen of the world. The 1970-1971 year bore witness to Puskas as a marvelous leader again that earned him a reputation for fine teaching, whose players found it much like a conference with a wise and understanding counselor and friend. He memorably guided a modest, distant, unheralded and little known Greek club, Panathinaikos, with a very nice ordering of wins obtained over big tournament stalwarts to head into the 1971 ultra-prestigious European Cup Final itself that kindled the people of Greece into raptures, this in spite of being given not much of a chance by many and with the most lukewarm of outlooks.

Ferenc Puskas at the airport right before the European Cup Final versus Benfica in May of 1962. Puskas would go onto to 3 goals in the first half to take a 2-0 lead and a 3-2 advantage at half-time for Real Madrid.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter had seen Puskás play in the 1954 FIFA World Cup Final in Berne. As a eighteen year old Swiss journalist, Blatter was involved throughout the match as a supporting spectator of the Magyars. In homage to Puskás for what he represented on the field and for enduring personal virtues off of it, Blatter founded in 2009 an international recognition award, the FIFA Puskás Award, meant to ensure Puskás' memory would remain powerful as ever for future generations.

In a fulsome life of varied activities as a great player and restaurateur, Puskas later became one of more noted Hungarian managers serving abroad whose journey's took him to five continents in the service of successive patrons, and towards the end of his life became acclaimed consultant and ambassador to the sport until he retired to his native city of Budapest. The daily side of him is all common sense, his characteristic response and feeling to life was a oneness to dedication, resilience, a wayward spontaneity, humor and wit that gave as good as he got, and is one of the most living and appealing figures in recent memory because he expressed with the greatest glow the national dreams of personal freedom in the hearts of his countrymen whom people looked to for statements on football and life; who followed the promptings of his witty light-hearted sparkle to being the man that he was that won a host of friends and admirers the world around. Perhaps it was inevitable that the twentieth century should rouse a Ferenc Puskas — a citadel of virtue, outrageous cheek and expansive gusto. It was wholly appropriate, therefore, that the Nation's Stadium in Budapest finally bear his name in 2002 that does justice to a remarkable life superbly lived and acknowledged, there and elsewhere, the greatest European player of the century.

The head man of the Greek Shamrocks: Ferenc Puskas' gleaming season in management with Panathinaikos, a magical European Cup campaign in 1970-1971 that confounded the pundits. Under Puskas' laissez-faire approach and guidance, his Greek champion club routed Jeunesse Esch 7-1 on aggregate in the first round, then proceeded to defeat Slovan Bratislava 4-2 in the second. In the quarterfinal Puskas' side outlasted English champions Everton 1-1 on the away goal. In the semifinal, the very powerful Yugoslav Red Star Belgrade had his team pinned down 1-4 on goals in the first leg playing away. In a historic match that resonated sensationally in the whole of early 1970s Greece, Puskas' side reversed fortunes with a 4-1 thrilling late revival in their home stand that many could not believe. They faced Ajax in Wembley stadium on June 2, 1971 and gave their much heralded Ajax opponents a classic duel till the end losing only 0-2. Ajax began their run of winning three consecutive European Cup Finals in a row.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Alright I am off to bed, my final thoughts on this game -

As a creator Sir Stan is only behind Maradona in this game, but while Maradona is contending with two midfield giants in Souness and Robson (supported by energy and tenacity of Schneider), Sir Stan is pretty much free on the right side of the pitch. There is no left winger for Downcast's team and Roberto Carlos is the only presence on the wing. If you have seen the Brazil vs England video posted above, you can see how Sir Stan gave runaround to a better defensive left back in Nilton Santos, he would definitely punish Carlos, who does not even have support of a winger. Pulling Ruggeri aside and crating chances for one of the deadliest striker that game has ever seen Romario and a Ballon D'or winner forward Stoichkov. The situation becomes even more exacerbated when you consider that Stoichkov is roasting Wes Brown all over on the left side and Romario is facing Areola. Scirea is as classy as they come but he has just too many fires to put out.

My opposition team might have bigger names but they are much better contended by our defense and midfield, while our forwards attack on the weakest point of their defense.

You can not just instruct an uber attacking wing back like Roberto Carlos into mainly becoming a defensive presence. Especially with no winger in front and huge amount of space, Carlos is going to be attacking and Sir Stan is going to beat him quite a few times. On the other hand Puskas has to deal with Djalma Santos and Ferrara while Conti has to deal with Marzolini. And the less said about contest between Stoichkov and Wes Brown better.

Good luck! Nice game whatever the result!

I will leave here in 10 minutes. Final thoughts:

- Zona Mista tactical system (ancestor of the 3-5-2 system). This tactical system was the system of the successful Italy during the WC 1982 and of the Juve in the 80s.
- Juve was successful with the same kind of players:
-------------Platini #10
------------ Boniek (a winger with a high work-rate)
-------------Rossi #9 and
------------- Bettega known for being a top scorer of the Serie A in the 70s. (and playing on the wing a part of his time)
------------- Cabrini contribute to the offensive game.

If I did want only bigger names, I wouldn't have chosen Careca!

I don't deny the quality of the Tuppet Team but:

- I believe I have the right boys to isolate Romario from others
- I don't believe in the ability of Schneider to perform well: he has probably (?) been disappointed in the big games -- loss of the WC Final 2002 & the Champions League final with Leverkusen
- Ma-Pu-Ka is unplayable & I have 8 men with a high-work rate to cover them

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
AdS was a one man spine and could very well move around to complement having multiple skill players (Puskas/Kopa) in the team. Both Puskas and Kopa are versatile and can move around. And in the old 2-3-5, Di Stefano led upfront with freedom to drop back (no #10 there!), with Gento/Puskas taking up his place. It was very flexible formation.

My concerns are that imo Maradona is a far different player than Di Stefano. Maradona is a much more selfish dribbler and would not be as flexible as AdS. Again with Careca upfront and Maradona behind, Puskas will be shifted to a left AM'ish role most of the match and it's a blatant waste of his abilities.
But that's the very same inside-left/left-sided support striker he has played for much of his career and with enormous success. It's hard to think of anyone more dominant and more influential through the centre of the park than Alfredo Di Stefano. It didn't mean that Puskas was wasted because he had to move into that inside-left channel - for from it, he thrived and scored vast quantities of goals. Same with Hungary playing alongside Hidegkuti and Kocsis - he naturally had to shift a little wider there and again it worked beautifully. I'd agree that Downcast has him too wide on the teamsheet albeit the arrows are pretty indicative of his role. But in that inside-left channel he's probably the greatest of all time.

As for Maradona being a selfish dribbler, it's more the case he was a selfless and economical dribbler who created countless opportunities for team-mates. He typically wasn't the end of the move, but the creator setting up the striker. I get your point if it's about how dominant he was and you'd struggle to combine two massively dominant central personalities like Maradona and Cruyff for instance in the same team. But Puskas is completely proven at dovetailing with a dominating 10 of that ilk.

Then really what the attack needs are two things. First, a reference point in the box which Careca provides. Second, some width to stretch the game which is amply provided through Bruno Conti and one of the greatest flank-dominators of all time in Carlos. And obviously you've got the platform behind that in a hard-working midfield and in Monti's ability to drop into defence when Bobby bombs.

I rate both teams really highly and don't see any fundamental tactical issues with either set-up. Tuppet deserves plenty of credit for jettisoning Laudrup for the sake of the team here.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
AdS was a one man spine and could very well move around to complement having multiple skill players (Puskas/Kopa) in the team. Both Puskas and Kopa are versatile and can move around. And in the old 2-3-5, Di Stefano led upfront with freedom to drop back (no #10 there!), with Gento/Puskas taking up his place. It was very flexible formation.

My concerns are that imo Maradona is a far different player than Di Stefano. Maradona is a much more selfish dribbler and would not be as flexible as AdS. Again with Careca upfront and Maradona behind, Puskas will be shifted to a left AM'ish role most of the match and it's a blatant waste of his abilities.
Tbf I'd say the opposite, di Stefano whilst possessing a great all-round game was arguably the most rigid and dominant of generals amongst the greats. He used to get annoyed if players didn't give it their all (Kopa & esp Didi being famous examples) and he even used to take affront if defenders hoofed the ball as opposed to playing it short and on the deck. He was truly an influential and assertive figure during all phases of the game and he possessed an extremely unyielding and uncompromising personality, which made him the all-encompassing domineering presence on the pitch that he was. In fact if you watch the Puskas documentary from 6.00 minute onwards, there is an interesting anecdote which illustrates my point.

Another

Jonathan Wilson said:
Along with everything else, he was a hugely astute leader. In his first season at Real Madrid, for instance, he and the notoriously difficult Alfredo di Stefano were joint leading scorers going into the final match of the season. Late on, Puskas had a chance to score but opted instead to wait and square it for Di Stefano, recognising the problems it could cause for morale if the Argentinian did not finish as top scorer.

Whereas Maradona wasn't exactly that dominant a personality (a forceful/strong one but in a different manner) who you'd probably have more luck trying to accommodate another ball-hogging trickster, but Maradona was an exceptionally gifted player who was more or less the player whom the game revolved around and went through. He was the focal point of sorts for all his sides and playing another pure trickster/playmaker (Platini, Best, Garrincha etc) who love to have their fair share of the ball alongside him, could prove to be problematic in most set-ups. I wouldn't agree with your statement that he was a 'selfish dribbler' or an inflexible player, as he was someone who was exceptionally creative and an intelligent dribbler. He is regarded as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, playmakers of all time, and not as a dribbling forward etc for good reasons. The selfish dribbler tag would probably be more apt for Best/Garrincha imo. I do get your point, however, that Maradona was someone who thrived having the lion's share of the ball etc.

It's definitely an interesting conundrum. di Stefano's style of play allows him to play alongside other lackadaisical flair players but his mentality/personality surely doesn't. Likewise, Maradona's relatively more nonchalant (or less overbearing attitude) on the pitch would probably have allowed him to play with another pure flair player but his style of play would probably be incompatible with said flair player.

Anyway back on topic, Puskas is imo, perfect alongside Maradona. He wasn't exactly a pure trickster or a ball-hogging playmaker who would be at loggerheads with Maradona but rather an all-round forward (a fairly selfless one at that) who would be ideal for dovetailing with Maradona. Even for Hungary, he wasn't exactly a selfish or a domineering player who demanded the ball and he was a really tactically astute player who gelled perfectly well with great individuals such as Bozsik, Hidegkuti and Czibor for example.

I'd recommend the documentary above (2 hours but well worth it) which does a great job at profiling Puskas.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Hard luck @Tuppet

Some comments:

1. You had one of the top 4 teams imho
2. I'm surprised by your starting 11 because I was sure you would play with Laudrup as a #10 and Schneider on the right wing as he did with Leverkusen sometimes.
3. You can't always win against me :devil:

Tuppet

Congratulations @Downcast , you have a great team and the central core of Scirea - Maradona - Puskas is just :drool: . To score these 3 in the first round of a draft is amazing, my favorite to win the draft.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thanks @Edgar Allan Pillow

Congratulations @Downcast , you have a great team and the central core of Scirea - Maradona - Puskas is just :drool: . To score these 3 in the first round of a draft is amazing, my favorite to win the draft.
Cheers mate :) I will try to tell a new story for the next game.

No Ma-Pu-Ca for the next game, another exotic name to find then.

On the bench, I have Fillol, Vieiri, Kempes, Mazzola, Sorin, Rattin, Rep, Reuter & Osvaldo Ardiles.