The Economics Thread

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Check out this on the Guardian today:

US corporate bonds could face 'Minsky Moment'
Richard Partington
If the stock market crash isn’t bad enough, the fallout in the US bond markets is perhaps even scarier to contemplate - particularly given a boom in risky borrowing by US oil and gas firms in recent years.
Deutsche Bank has just issued a note warning there could be a “Minsky moment” for high-yield American bonds - in a nod to the economist Hyman Minsky’s theory on how markets can crash amid widespread panic following periods of speculative investment.
The US subprime collapse of 2008 is regarded as one such moment, so the comparison is ominous to say the least...
The bank’s analysts warn that defaults - companies being unable to repay or refinance their debts - are now inevitable, with around $13bn of debts due for repayment before the end of 2021 from the most heavily-indebted oil and gas firms.
In a shocking sign of the chaos to come, it says the distress ratio for US oil and gas high yield debt - defined as the proportion of debt trading with a spread of at least 1,000 basis points (in other words, bonds with yields that are more than 1,000 basis points higher than a reference yield such as on a US Treasury bond) - was already 62.3% as of Friday before today’s oil price collapse.
To put that in context, it says the distress ratio hit 43.9% in March 2016 when oil prices last crashed. In good times, when the oil price peaked in late 2018, it was 4.8%. In other words, well more than half of heavily-indebted US energy companies have borrowing costs that are going through the roof. Gulp.
In another illustration of how risky the situation is, Standard & Poors says the percentage of oil and gas borrowers with negative outlooks on their credit rating - which gauges their financial strength and is key for borrowing money on reasonable terms - is around 33%, which is well above the long-term average of 19%.
Central bankers have been worrying about the US high yield bond markets for quite a while now already. This could be the start of something quite dramatic indeed.

Economists were right. It was coming.
Quite troubling indeed.

Neo_Mufc

I know nothing about economics but with the stock market taking such a hit how could this affect house prices in the UK?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
There will be fewer buyers and more sellers, so it won't be good.
You don't need a lot of buyers to inflate your prices. You only need just a few buyers with a lot of money.

Housing prices will keep increasing because there is people with a shitload of money to spend, and not many interesting options where to spend it. The housing market will always be attractive (Buy to rent).

The crisis won't hit the top 1% wealth. So they will buy everything that can be bought.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I ask because I'm looking to buy this year. Was wondering if prices could drop maybe.
It's a nightmare trying to decide, but if your need isn't imminent then the next few months could be informative. Save, wait, and watch, you could be one of the few gainers from the likely chaos to come.
You don't need a lot of buyers to inflate your prices. You only need just a few buyers with a lot of money.

Housing prices will keep increasing because there is people with a shitload of money to spend, and not many interesting options where to spend it. The housing market will always be attractive (Buy to rent).

The crisis won't hit the top 1% wealth. So they will buy everything that can be bought.
History says that house prices can go down as well as up, just like shares. Not often of course, but this could be one of those times.

Revan

Assumptionman
A recession was inevitable in any case, but this could easily turn to be a depression. I hold a total world index and it has gone almost 25% down in the last 2 weeks or so, with the worst yet to come. It can easily rival the 2008 one, if not worse.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I was thinking yesterday. A recession is almost inevitable. How unprepared are the Central Banks? I think this period could be reckoning for Europe. They have bled the ECB dry. It has exhausted all its instruments. When the health crisis is over, we would have a serious economic one. Will we ever see a fiscal response?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A recession was inevitable in any case, but this could easily turn to be a depression. I hold a total world index and it has gone almost 25% down in the last 2 weeks or so, with the worst yet to come. It can easily rival the 2008 one, if not worse.
Everything will depend on how soon the world can get control over the situation (facilities, quarantines, vaccines etc). If this spirals into later in the year then a deep recession is almost sure to happen late this year and into 2021.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I recall reading there were harbingers of a recession before all of this. I don’t remember the specific reports, but I know they instigated enough discussions that it wasn’t entirely a figment of my imagination.

If that indeed was the case this virus outbreak and oil price war would be acting as force multipliers so to speak. Which could be...well, not good.

MadMike

I was thinking yesterday. A recession is almost inevitable. How unprepared are the Central Banks? I think this period could be reckoning for Europe. They have bled the ECB dry. It has exhausted all its instruments. When the health crisis is over, we would have a serious economic one. Will we ever see a fiscal response?
Where is that coming from?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
My girlfriend and I are looking to buy a house in 12-18 months time. Is a major recession likely to help us with that or hinder us?

MadMike

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy a house in 12-18 months time. Is a major recession likely to help us with that or hinder us?
I would argue help you, unless bank liquidity dries up or your jobs come under threat. Not impossible in prolonged recessions, but unlikely at the moment.

MadMike

Check out this on the Guardian today:

US corporate bonds could face 'Minsky Moment'
Richard Partington
If the stock market crash isn’t bad enough, the fallout in the US bond markets is perhaps even scarier to contemplate - particularly given a boom in risky borrowing by US oil and gas firms in recent years.
Deutsche Bank has just issued a note warning there could be a “Minsky moment” for high-yield American bonds - in a nod to the economist Hyman Minsky’s theory on how markets can crash amid widespread panic following periods of speculative investment.
The US subprime collapse of 2008 is regarded as one such moment, so the comparison is ominous to say the least...
The bank’s analysts warn that defaults - companies being unable to repay or refinance their debts - are now inevitable, with around $13bn of debts due for repayment before the end of 2021 from the most heavily-indebted oil and gas firms.
In a shocking sign of the chaos to come, it says the distress ratio for US oil and gas high yield debt - defined as the proportion of debt trading with a spread of at least 1,000 basis points (in other words, bonds with yields that are more than 1,000 basis points higher than a reference yield such as on a US Treasury bond) - was already 62.3% as of Friday before today’s oil price collapse.
To put that in context, it says the distress ratio hit 43.9% in March 2016 when oil prices last crashed. In good times, when the oil price peaked in late 2018, it was 4.8%. In other words, well more than half of heavily-indebted US energy companies have borrowing costs that are going through the roof. Gulp.
In another illustration of how risky the situation is, Standard & Poors says the percentage of oil and gas borrowers with negative outlooks on their credit rating - which gauges their financial strength and is key for borrowing money on reasonable terms - is around 33%, which is well above the long-term average of 19%.
Central bankers have been worrying about the US high yield bond markets for quite a while now already. This could be the start of something quite dramatic indeed.

Economists were right. It was coming.
Quite troubling indeed.
Oil and Gas firms are double fecked. The Saudi-Russian price war has dropped the price of crude from $52 to $35 barrel. A 33% drop.

That's compounding the impeding financial crisis due to Covid. So naturally funds are dumping oil & gas bonds like crazy.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Save and watch trends closely, learn what sort of thing is available in your likely price range, and form a good idea of what and where you might want. Then you will be in a position to be quick and decisive when necessary.

As for the wider economy, my gut feeling is that Trump will cut taxes, increase spending, and borrow whatever is necessary to get the US economy roaring in the short term to help him at the polls. What effect this will have on inflation, interest rates, and the economy in the longer term god only knows, but Trump won't care about that, he'll be interested in his own time only.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I would argue help you, unless bank liquidity dries up or your jobs come under threat. Not impossible in prolonged recessions, but unlikely at the moment.
Save and watch trends closely, learn what sort of thing is available in your likely price range, and form a good idea of what and where you might want. Then you will be in a position to be quick and decisive when necessary.

As for the wider economy, my gut feeling is that Trump will cut taxes, increase spending, and borrow whatever is necessary to get the US economy roaring in the short term to help him at the polls. What effect this will have on inflation, interest rates, and the economy in the longer term god only knows, but Trump won't care about that, he'll be interested in his own time only.
Cheers for replies, can only sit and wait I guess.

I'm not sure how many tools Trump has left in his armoury to mitigate a recession, they've already done their huge tax cuts which has already added trillions to national debt. It's the house which holds the purse strings after all and the Democrats in the house are not going to spend his way out of trouble.

Siorac

Can he do that? Not sure how the US budget process works but we're in the middle of the 2020 budget, can major changes be enacted at this time?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Can he do that? Not sure how the US budget process works but we're in the middle of the 2020 budget, can major changes be enacted at this time?
No, he can only promise to.

I have to admit I don't know, but surely the president has some power or there isn't much point to having a president?
The POTUS has broad authority but mostly on national security, in theory Congress still holds the purse strings.

So further tax reform is a non-starter within the timeframe alluded to.

MadMike

What I mean, Europe has depended on the ECB to bring itself out of recession with almost no fiscal policy contribution.
Okay, but that's an entirely different thing. There's no central (as in federal) fiscal policy, apart from the existence of the EFSF, it's all decentralised to the national governments.

As for the ECB, apart from the fact that it can print Euros to provide liquidity for commercial banks, it has been building up its assets decade by decade. Check out its gold and foreign reserve assets:
- 2000 reserves
- 2010 reserves
- 2020 reserves

Sure, it has no room for lowering interest rates (same as the BoE) but that's about it. It's far from broke, it's in rude health. The problem with financial crises in Europe is that they become political more than anywhere else, because nationalism often kicks in, and turns a small, solvable problem into a massive one. Greek debt crisis a prime example.

Adisa

Okay, but that's an entirely different thing. There's no central (as in federal) fiscal policy, apart from the existence of the EFSF, it's all decentralised to the national governments.

As for the ECB, apart from the fact that it can print Euros to provide liquidity for commercial banks, it has been building up its assets decade by decade. Check out its gold and foreign reserve assets:
- 2000 reserves
- 2010 reserves
- 2020 reserves

Sure, it has no room for lowering interest rates (same as the BoE) but that's about it. It's far from broke, it's in rude health. The problem with financial crises in Europe is that they become political more than anywhere else, because nationalism often kicks in, and turns a small, solvable problem into a massive one. Greek debt crisis a prime example.
Of course the ECB isn't broke. But imo, it doesn't have much room to manoeuvre. Apart from the stability fund, some countries need to spend some money. I am not talking about the likes of France. But countries like Germany have some leeway.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
No, he can only promise to.

The POTUS has broad authority but mostly on national security, in theory Congress still holds the purse strings.

So further tax reform is a non-starter within the timeframe alluded to.
Thanks OP. Weird country really, or misrepresented perhaps, from the outside all we hear is president, president, president, like it's only him/her that counts.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Hinder. Bad times mean lending guidelines get tightened. If you can save more to ensure you have a bigger downpayment that will help.

Don't expect property values to crash in line with the stockmarket, though.

PedroMendez

Acolyte

- 2000 reserves
- 2010 reserves
- 2020 reserves

Conventional monetary policy tools are limited by the ZLB. Central banks usually cut interest rates somewhere between 2,5-5% during a recession and that's just not possible in Europe in the current framework.
Unconventional responses (which aren't really unconventional anymore) are not limited in the same way, but their effectiveness and secondary effects are less understood. When push comes to shove, central banks will find ways to react and expand their tool-kit, but its not particularly prudent to rely on the ECB to solve any problem.
Its less an issue of nationalism and more one of politics.

Adisa

Trump's effort to calm markets has backfired spectacularly. Dow dropping 10%. I was looking at the futures this morning so knew it would be bad but nothing like this. Nearly 3 years of growth wiped off in two weeks.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Trump's effort to calm markets has backfired spectacularly. Dow dropping 10%. I was looking at the futures this morning so knew it would be bad but nothing like this. Nearly 3 years of growth wiped off in two weeks.
Is it true that they spent 1.5tn in trying to revive the markets? And from where (govt revenue/direct printing) did that money come? I saw it on twitter and find it hard to believe, that number is bigger than the Obama stimulus itself.

Sweet Square

Is it true that they spent 1.5tn in trying to revive the markets? And from where (govt revenue/direct printing) did that money come? I saw it on twitter and find it hard to believe, that number is bigger than the Obama stimulus itself.
seems like it

MTF

The Fed is offering $1.5 trillion combined through 3 $500 billion repo operations today and tomorrow. That's when the Fed will lend member banks the money and take US govt securities as a guarantee. Repo operations is how banks cover cash needs or park excess cash with the fed, usually just for 1 day (called overnight because the final balances are traded around the end of the day when the banks figure out what their cash balances or needs will look like). The difference here is that the operations are being offered for 1 & 3 months periods, so whatever a bank takes now it knows it won't be recalled until then.

The banks will also pay interest rate on these, albeit a low one. To be determined by the demand for the operations. There's currently a pull on banks because businesses all over are drawing on their existing credit lines, and the banks might not be receiving some payments from borrowers that are in near-term trouble. That all demands cash, so the Fed with this intends to backstop it.

It's a large amount, but it's not the same kind of thing as TARP. None of the banks in particular is yet assessed as having bad assets (loans) that will fail at a higher rate than anyone else's (although they could and we just don't know yet), the Fed is making sure they just have enough cash to keep the system running.

EDIT: Also it is because the demand for cash I mentioned started to force banks and institutions to sell long-dated Treasury notes/bills which was causing rates to go up for those expirations. The Fed is also hoping to stem off this need to sell the long-dated treasuries for cash, and get those rates back down a bit. I don't know, I'm just an equity analyst. Treasuries/rates/bonds/the Fed aren't really my expertise.

Last edited:

Neo_Mufc

Quick question which probably doesn't warrant a new thread.

I have a decent amount of money which would sit best in a savings account. There is an online easy access account online marcus goldman sachs which they are offering 1.3% variable.

Does the 0.5% drop by the bank of england mean that they will drop to 0.8%? I read an article explaining that savers should secure fixed rates savings but I need access to this money provided things change I don't want it locked up.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Quick question which probably doesn't warrant a new thread.

I have a decent amount of money which would sit best in a savings account. There is an online easy access account online marcus goldman sachs which they are offering 1.3% variable.

Does the 0.5% drop by the bank of england mean that they will drop to 0.8%? I read an article explaining that savers should secure fixed rates savings but I need access to this money provided things change I don't want it locked up.

Banks don't necessarily have to follow the base rate, but it is entirely possible.

Anyway, either rate is pathetically low and below the current interest rate.

At the moment, saving is a mugs game.
You might as well stick it under your mattress.

Oo0AahCantona

Have a difficult decision to make with my stocks, its been in absolute freefall and i dont know whether to pull out now, and hold in cash to reinvest in the upturn later down the line, or stick. any market savy people have any insight?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Have a difficult decision to make with my stocks, its been in absolute freefall and i dont know whether to pull out now, and hold in cash to reinvest in the upturn later down the line, or stick. any market savy people have any insight?
You don't know when the upturn will be. And if you pull out now (phrasing) then you lock in your losses

Leave it in (phrasing)

Oo0AahCantona

You don't know when the upturn will be. And if you pull out now (phrasing) then you lock in your losses

Leave it in (phrasing)
problem i have is i cant see this being the bottom, and it has already dropped over 10%, with the auto pullout point being 20% in the portolio which seems inevitable at the moment.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
problem i have is i cant see this being the bottom, and it has already dropped over 10%, with the auto pullout point being 20% in the portolio which seems inevitable at the moment.
It probably isn't the bottom... Depends on what you trying to do... If you retiring 5 months from now then yeah probably cut your losses. If you in the market for the long haul then you shouldn't be looking at your portfolio of stocks now