The effect of takeover uncertainty…

NK86

I don't see it anything more than another M&A deal, in this case even less than that. I have been a part of one, but never have I ever seen that being used as an excuse for not putting in efforts. Football is a sport but it is still a job for these players, most of whom are paid beyond insane money that 99% of people can only dream of in a job. This is down to them being prima donnas who think they are better than they actually are.
Anything else is just another excuse for this sorry bunch to hide behind.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's clear how much ownership affects performance on the pitch.
Newcastle are a prime example, the turnaround when Ashley left was massive.
We've seen it too at clubs like Blackpool, Leeds and Bolton whereby the ownership or lack thereof pulls the club down.
There is no doubt in my mind that the struggles of this season are in part related to the off pitch farce that has become the ownership battle.
The turn around at Newcastle was changing managers, buying better players and the motivation of avoiding relegation and earning longer term contracts to play for the now richest(?) club in the world.

Big short term changes affecting the squad, not the minimal difference we'll see when Ratcliffe comes in.

These players don't need any more excuses. They just aren't good enough.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yes, in fact I currently work in what I’d consider a toxic company.
And I guess you’re just shouting at everyone to ignore it and get on with the job you’re paid to do because anything else is just excuses?

TheReligion

Abusive
I heard someone say recently that a lot of what’s going on at Newcastle can be put down to the players being excited to be playing for a club that’s on the up. They all want to be part of a project that can win them medals and make them very wealthy. Which causes fierce competition for places and a squad full of footballers who are optimistic, excited and passionate about their club.

At United nobody knows where this club is going. It’s been a shit show for a decade and, for all we know, could be going from bad to worse under new ownership, while we’re hamstrung by FFP. Is it plausible that this is a factor in so many players going through the motions? They’re basically in a holding pattern, ready to look for their next move if/when this latest effort to rearrange the deckchairs on the Titanic dies a death.

Or does the ownership status of a club have no effect on performances?
It certainly has an impact on everyone. That’s obvious in my opinion. The same in any job or large organisation.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
And I guess you’re just shouting at everyone to ignore it and get on with the job you’re paid to do because anything else is just excuses?
I’m doing what I can to get out

until that happens I cannot change anything so I do my job to the best of my ability

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I’m doing what I can to get out

until that happens I cannot change anything so I do my job to the best of my ability
Wonder what effect you doing everything you can to get out is having on the morale of those who work alongside you and underneath you? Can’t imagine those working under you are giving much of a shit if they think you will be gone soon anyway.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Wonder what effect you doing everything you can to get out is having on the morale of those who work alongside you and underneath you? Can’t imagine those working under you are giving much of a shit if they think you will be gone soon anyway.
But I haven’t told anyone that I’m looking out so none in answer to your question.

anyway we will agree to disagree or we will be here all day

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
But I haven’t told anyone that I’m looking out so none in answer to your question.

anyway we will agree to disagree or we will be here all day
Ok you’re handling it well, I assume everyone else in your company is too, despite the toxic environment so maybe your work isn’t a good example of a toxic environment after all which might explain why you don’t understand how a toxic environment might impact a football club.

arnie_ni

It has to but it doesn't excuse the lack of effort from some players. You can handle poor performances but not giving it your all is not on.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The turn around at Newcastle was changing managers, buying better players and the motivation of avoiding relegation and earning longer term contracts to play for the now richest(?) club in the world.

Big short term changes affecting the squad, not the minimal difference we'll see when Ratcliffe comes in.

These players don't need any more excuses. They just aren't good enough.
Who says it's an excuse?

I don't think anyone is using it as an excuse, certainly not the players.
But uncertainty off the pitch will inevitably filter through to the players.

pascell

Being able to run around a football and have the self motivation to do so, has absolutely no baring on a takeover whatsoever. The players will pick up their nice big, fat wages either way.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Being able to run around a football and have the self motivation to do so, has absolutely no baring on a takeover whatsoever. The players will pick up their nice big, fat wages either way.
Yes because running around twice a week is what wins trophies. Not the entire club working as one every single day towards a common goal, looking to maximise any percentage gain possible and trying to create a result that is greater than the sum of its parts.

As long as they all just put a lot of effort into running everything will be great.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It has a dragging effect when we go through tough periods for sure. But we were technically in good form. We should've been approaching this with confidence. Yesterday that shouldn't have had an impact. Yesterday was down to coaching and instructions.

But staying in ruts longer and having a harder time bouncing back, the ownership situation definitely has an impact there.

C'est Moi Cantona

Probably like alot of the fans some of the players just can't accept that they won't have the riches of Qatar lavished on them, so they are deciding to only put 60 % effort in now out of spite.

Seriously though it must be impacting the players, and more so the manager, the Glazers are scum letting it drag on like this.

Zed is not dead

According to a lot of ex players, uncertainty over ownership or lack of strong or at least clear leadership from the top causes a lot of disturbance to the dressing room.
I know people will say « excuses FC » but we can’t downplay the effect of all the noise around the club in general.

Chipper

Adulterer.
If you play for a League Two team that's facing bankruptcy and you're wondering if you're going to be paid next month then I'm sure the ownership is highly relevant.

If you're a multi millionaire and the cheques are rolling in I highly doubt it matters at all.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It has a dragging effect when we go through tough periods for sure. But we were technically in good form. We should've been approaching this with confidence. Yesterday that shouldn't have had an impact. Yesterday was down to coaching and instructions.

But staying in ruts longer and having a harder time bouncing back, the ownership situation definitely has an impact there.
Decent results. Terrible form.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I heard someone say recently that a lot of what’s going on at Newcastle can be put down to the players being excited to be playing for a club that’s on the up. They all want to be part of a project that can win them medals and make them very wealthy. Which causes fierce competition for places and a squad full of footballers who are optimistic, excited and passionate about their club.

At United nobody knows where this club is going. It’s been a shit show for a decade and, for all we know, could be going from bad to worse under new ownership, while we’re hamstrung by FFP. Is it plausible that this is a factor in so many players going through the motions? They’re basically in a holding pattern, ready to look for their next move if/when this latest effort to rearrange the deckchairs on the Titanic dies a death.

No I'm not going to give Rashford an excuse of boardroom politics being the reason he refuses to put in any effort to tracking runners. feck that.

Sure I'm sure there's a bit of an effect on the sporting side overall, but in game these guys aren't thinking about when Sir Jim is taking over I promise you that.

Camilo

Marcus is so confused about the takeover details that he can barely shoot anymore. Poor guy.

Rista

Honestly, I think most of the players couldn't care less about the ownership. It is very unlikely it will affect them whatever happens so why should they. We as fans are probably way more concerned about it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

I don't think the takeover situation has that much direct effect on the players, but the general air of uncertainty and negativity will not help anyone at the club.

It will undoubtedly impact the manager a lot more than the players and that may have a knock on effect.
ETH will have day to day involvement with the likes of Arnold & Murtough. Discussions about transfer window budgets and targets etc.

I expect Arnold leaving has already created a fair bit of upheaval behind the scenes, Murtough will now be uncertain about his future too. None of this helps anyone working at the club.