The end of away goals in Europe?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I don't think away goals should be scrapped but I do think it's a completely unfair advantage that the away team in the second leg can score in extra time and it is counted as an away goal. Both teams should have the away 'advantage' for the 90minutes and it should be reset if it goes to extra time.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't think away goals should be scrapped but I do think it's a completely unfair advantage that the away team in the second leg can score in extra time and it to be counted as an away goal. Both teams should have the away 'advantage' for the 90minutes and it should be reset if it goes to extra time.
Yep, always seemed like the obvious solution to me.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Scrap extra time altogether, or scrap draws(extra time+penalties in both legs)

Otherwise you inevitably give one team too big am advantage

Ainu

I don't think away goals should be scrapped but I do think it's a completely unfair advantage that the away team in the second leg can score in extra time and it to be counted as an away goal. Both teams should have the away 'advantage' for the 90minutes and it should be reset if it goes to extra time.
The counter argument being that the home team has the unfair advantage of playing half an hour extra on their own turf in case of ET, which would no longer be compensated by the away goals law.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The counter argument being that the home team has the unfair advantage of playing half an hour extra on their own turf in case of ET, which would no longer be compensated by the away goals law.
Playing at home for the extra 30minutes is an intangible advantage and for quite a few teams (like United this season) it could be argued that it is a disadvantage. The 30minutes where your goals count for one more than your opponents is a clear and tangible advantage.

Nick7

away goals only counting in extra time is the daftest bullshit ever.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Extra time is great fun though.

Nick7

how would penalties work on aggregate? the winner gets one extra goal?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Good idea, away goals is essentially doing the opposite to what it was brought in to do now.

Ainu

Playing at home for the extra 30minutes is an intangible advantage and for quite a few teams (like United this season) it could be argued that it is a disadvantage. The 30minutes where your goals count for one more than your opponents is a clear and tangible advantage.
It's not intangible, there's plenty of evidence out there to support that the home advantage is a very real thing. How it impacts each team individually and during a specific season is another matter, but on average it's a clear advantage.

Edit: I feel I should nuance this opinion by stating I don't think it's as big an advantage as the away goal during ET. It's simply an advantage. I'm in favour of scrapping away goals completely and also doing away with ET at the same time, which I fecking hate watching anyway. Just go straight to pens or something.

stepic

home ground advantage is intangible? What

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Long overdue to be scrapped. It’s completely ruined a lot of good ties over the years. Teams are now so good at sitting deep and countering that they are content with 0-0 at home and trying to nick a goal away. It’s a rule that makes home teams way too conservative. The 1 legged knockouts last year were much better than the current system. I think scrapping away goals will help move us towards games that are more similar to last years styles of play.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Disagree, playing at home is an obvious advantage, and this has long been accepted in football. Of course, I’m talking about stadiums full of fans, not the weirdness we currently have.

Frank Sinatra Fan

There have been epic extra times in football history. And they are a way to great stories of overcoming difficult, playing with the heart, they are a tense watch even when not technically good.

bsCallout

It's a pretty ridiculous rule anyway. Neutral grounds would be cool if not for the lack of fans I guess.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Am I the only person who likes extra time and the away goals rule? I didn’t realise these things were despised by so many people……

bsCallout

It would be fascinating if someone could show how the rules has affected the eventual winners throughout history.

For example a team getting through with a last minute goal(away goal rule) to then go on and win it where they wouldn't have otherwise.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
If a team is playing 19+ matches in a single stadium in a season, I'd expect them to be more comfortable playing in that stadium and have an advantage over the other team who probably only play there once every season. Just because United have been going against the flow, doesn't negate home advantage for a majority of the other teams.

Playing way isn't as uniform of a handicap as it might have been in the middle of last century. Many teams are comfortable winning games on away grounds regularly due to the rise of the super clubs. But home advantage is still a big factor why teams like Schalke, PSG, Bayern, Dortmund etc haven't won at the Santiago Bernabeu in the last decade, despite playing better than Real. Home advantage is a big factor for teams like Barca, Real, and Pool.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
It annoys me that it counts in draws.
Say you draw 1-1 away and draw 2-2 at home. You get knocked out without actually losing.

nuanced

It annoys me that it counts in draws.
Say you draw 1-1 away and draw 2-2 at home. You get knocked out without actually losing.
You're losing because your team score fewer goals away/conceded more goals at home. If they move away from away goals, I'd rather they decide results based on aggregate goals score than penalties, since that would force teams like Atletico to play for the win, both home and away, than grind out a draw once have a win in the first game.

Siorac

Just go straight to pens or something.
Yes, this would be the most sensible solution. They had 180 minutes of football to find a winner, if they didn't, penalties are as good a way to decide as any, and much better than away goals in extra time and similar nonsense.

Siorac

If they move away from away goals, I'd rather they decide results based on aggregate goals score than penalties, since that would force teams like Atletico to play for the win, both home and away, than grind out a draw once have a win in the first game.
Aggregate goals scored? Like, over the entire competition, or what?

Because aggregate goals scored over a tie is very much how they are decided now. That's the primary method, in fact.

Withnail

Article paywalled so just read a bit more about it on another site.

The arguments to remove it seem to be covid season based ie neutral venues and no fans so home advantage didn't really count. This seems odd as we'll be back to normal next year.

Then there's a quote from Wenger in 2015 when he was calling for it to be abolished and said football has changed and teams attack more. But this seems to be saying that the away goals rule has had the intended affect so I'm not sure how that can be justification to remove it.

Withnail

Yes, this would be the most sensible solution. They had 180 minutes of football to find a winner, if they didn't, penalties are as good a way to decide as any, and much better than away goals in extra time and similar nonsense.
Have you watched any penalty shootouts lately when there was no ET?

I can't remember which it was but I saw one in the last year. Nobody missed as they weren't fatigued. It went on for feckin ages.

ROFLUTION

So tired of all these changes to the game.

VAR was the start of it, now tournaments and all types of shit is open to being changed. Everything worked great and football was entertaining before all of these changes.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is another one of those needless Arsene Wenger once said it type changes.

acnumber9

It’s been outdated for a long time. You shouldn’t go through in a tie because of where you were fortunate enough to score your goals. If away goals makes teams attack more away from home it would go hand in hand with being more defensive at home.

Siorac

Have you watched any penalty shootouts lately when there was no ET?

I can't remember which it was but I saw one in the last year. Nobody missed as they weren't fatigued. It went on for feckin ages.
Clearly, penalty shootouts can go on for fecking ages even after 120 minutes - there was a quite recent example!

I don't think this is a convincing argument against it.

nuanced

Aggregate goals scored? Like, over the entire competition, or what?

Because aggregate goals scored over a tie is very much how they are decided now. That's the primary method, in fact.
I clearly had a brain f*rt there :lol:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Keep away goals to the 90th minute in the second leg and then get rid of it for extra time.

Personally, I would prefer golden goal to return or for the clock to stop when out of play than away goal to be banned completely.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The away goals rule wasn't implemented to make teams more adventurous. It was implemented as a compromise to do away with replays, since the players didn't want the extra game

Take it away and playing the second leg at home becomes a massive advantage, as opposed to the small advantage it is now(or supposed to be)

If you remove them, you pretty much have to remove extra time too, or add extra time in the first leg as well at least

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Away goals has always been a load of shite. Do away with it.