g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Euro Draft - SF - The Stain vs Team EAP

Judged on the Euro performances, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Schrojf is a keeper. I am not sure if a keeper would play that important role in a draft
He should though, if we are trying to replicate a real football games here. Our very own keeper is bound to become our player of the year for the second time - and we are arguing whenever keeper is important in a football game? A great keeper wins you games, it's that simple.

Durkovic is fine, but that's all - and it's a semi-final, overloaded with quality, where "fine" players are a liability.

harms

Staff
Wow, I think it was 2 - 11 when I checked it the first time, and now it's 8 - 10.

harms

Staff
Puyol is slightly underrated in my opinion and while Förster in his 1980 form certainly would be a huge help for Beckenbauer, Puyol still is a very good fit in my opinion. For all the quality in EAP's attack, Thuram's not facing a threat out wide and can tuck in to help out against Puskas, which is probably as good a defender as you can hope for in that role. Puyol, Beckenbauer and Thuram have their work cut out, no doubt, and I can't see them keeping a clean sheet, but they certainly aren't hopeless here.

Czibor with Zambrotta can put some pressure on EAP's right wing, Zidane won't be stopped in his Euro 2000 form and Gerd Müller scored twice in every Euro game he played (fair enough, he only played two, but scoring twice in both, the semfinal and final, is pretty great, right?) He'll do it again here, so 2-1 for The Stain it is.
I tried to refresh my memory on Puyol when I considered picking him - haven't watched the games, but the match reports tend to blame him and says that he showed more leadership than the actual defensive qualities.

He was underrated in a different drafts though, he isn't seen as one of the modern greats, which he is, in my opinion.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
He should though, if we are trying to replicate a real football games here. Our very own keeper is bound to become our player of the year for the second time - and we are arguing whenever keeper is important in a football game? A great keeper wins you games, it's that simple.

Durkovic is fine, but that's all - and it's a semi-final, overloaded with quality, where "fine" players are a liability.
It's a discussion we've had many times before...and usually ends with no solution. We still haven't found a meaningful way of quantifying GK's impact to this game.

And Durkovic is not simply fine. He replaced Stankovic and is considered equally good, if not better. Played as RB and RCB as well. Incredibly talented and certainly don't see why his is not good enough here.

harms

Staff
It's a discussion we've had many times before...and usually ends with no solution. We still haven't found a meaningful way of quantifying GK's impact to this game.

And Durkovic is not simply fine. He replaced Stankovic and is considered equally good, if not better. Played as RB and RCB as well. Incredibly talented and certainly don't see why his is not good enough here.
But we all agree that keepers doesn't get the appreciation they deserve

I wasn't impressed by Durkovic from what I saw, I haven't looked specifically at him when I watched the game, but he didn't stood out. It's your job to sell me this player and you didn't you just stated that your defence is good and the further discussion isn't needed.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Puyol is slightly underrated in my opinion and while Förster in his 1980 form certainly would be a huge help for Beckenbauer, Puyol still is a very good fit in my opinion. For all the quality in EAP's attack, Thuram's not facing a threat out wide and can tuck in to help out against Puskas, which is probably as good a defender as you can hope for in that role.
The point still stands. Puyol is in the company of players who all are considered better (Kaizer, Thuram, Puskas, MvB, Gullit) and GOATs. Not sure if I would classify Puyol as a GOAT though.

And it is so easy for Puskas to get away from Thuram. All he needs is to drift into the middle or even to the right. I see him working well with Gullit to overload that wing. Gullit drops back/drops wide and pulls Davids with him. Puskas occupies that space and links with MvP with Puyol being the main defender that side.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I tried to refresh my memory on Puyol when I considered picking him - haven't watched the games, but the match reports tend to blame him and says that he showed more leadership than the actual defensive qualities.

He was underrated in a different drafts though, he isn't seen as one of the modern greats, which he is, in my opinion.
Hmm, that's possible. I didn't check his Euro credentials and in my memory he was his usual self in terms of leadership and can't think of any mistakes, at least none that really mattered in the end. Spain didn't concede a goal in the knockout rounds in 2008 after all.

I agree that he's underrated in general though.

harms

Staff
From the final:
Carles Puyol - 6 - Fortunate not to gift Ballack an equaliser, but flung himself into the contest when Germans were briefly on top
Puyol - 6.5 Showed all of his leadership qualities once again, but not as impressive as he was against Italyand Russia, and made a couple of defensive errors.

I'm too lazy to retrace my steps, but I remember an even worse reviews after some game - but I haven't watched the games since 2008 and reviews are always subjective - anyone with a more fresh memory?

Annahnomoss

ONLY player quality? :eek: Surprising you feel that way Annah!

I'll summarize my advantages over Stain's team for you...

Midfield: I will win the midfield battle due to the below.

Defensive Midfield:

* Zagorakis is against Masopust (who is a class above) and I expect to win that battle consistently in this match. Thuram is tucked in to provide consistent support in the middle.
* Davids is tasked with covering for Zambrotta. With Gullit here, he certainly will be occupied enough and I don't see him lending much of a role in midfield battle up the pitch while doing that.

Attacking Midfield:

As mentioned above, With Maspoust's superiority and Davids being occupied otherwise to consistently participate in midfield upfront, Zidane and more importantly Amancio are going to lack proper support throughout the match. What patchy opportunities that Zidane gets, I have Deschamps who is a master at "snuffing out creativity" there to take care. Even Zidane can't influence the match without support from behind.

Left Wing:

* His best attacking outlet imo. Zambrotta has attacking licence.

To counter this, I have Durkovic occupying Czibor. Durkovic has operated both as RB and as a RCB successfully, so will be perfect in tracking Czibor. I also have Matthaus here who is superb at providing defensive support. I see lots of activity in the match here, but certainly no great advantage there for him. There is also an added advantage to me that Gullit has more space to drift behind Zamabrotta and pull Davids/Puyol wide during quick counters.

Right Wing:

His team has near non-existent presence there. Thuram is tucked in and Zagorakis is in a defensive role as per his OP. With Masopust's superirity, I see me having significant advantage in that wing. As mentioned in DM part, it's my team that owns that flank.

His Defence: My attack will prevail due to below.

* Puyol is a good defender, but certainly is outclassed in this company (Beckenbauer, Thuram, Puskas, Gullit and MvB) here. When surrounded by MvB on one side and Gullit on the other, I certainly see him as the weakest spot in Stain's defence...simply because all rest are a class above.
* I don't see Beckenbauer moving up to play-make. He needs all 3 CB's to concentrate in defence and that still might not be enough.

My defence:

As mentioned above,
* Zidane will not be to his usual tricks simply because he lacks support from behind. Amancio is going to struggle to see much of the ball on the other flank.
* Durkovic has operated both as RB and as a RCB successfully, so will be perfect in tracking Czibor. With Matthaus dropping back, it is as safe as it can get.

The European pedigree of Blanc and Campbell is beyond question and they can handle the lone strike threat from Muller between them.

You will easily win the battle of the midfield, you'll be the one with the most possession and that is both a negative a plus. Usually teams who rely on purely central brilliance without world class dribblers will need space to play into, and almost exclusively excel in direct attacks.

There hasn't been many great sides who didn't have any natural width in the team and Breitner and Durkovic needs to provide as much width as possible here both in terms of frequency and position. I am not sure that is the greatest asset of Breitner, to hug the side line and burst back and forth there. Matthäus and Masopust both love going on forward runs and that will also mean space behind them for Zidane to have some key moments in the game too on the break.

Amancio and Czibor are world class wingers and with your full backs pushed forward there the best way for him to attack is out wide. Muller is fantastic in the box and on low crosses/through balls behind Campbell and Blanc I can see him scoring two with the service he has.

At the same time Gullit, van Basten and Puskas are good for a goal here too. If there had been a big emphasis on crosses maybe even two.

berbasloth4

after reading into it and playing the match out in my mind I am pretty sure EAP will win more often than not.. I feel that deschamps matthaus will be too strong.. Masopust getting forward is quality and then puskas and van basten will get too many chances.. Puyol is very much out of his depth here.. He is a poor mans John Terry..

Moby

Dick
Hmm, that's possible. I didn't check his Euro credentials and in my memory he was his usual self in terms of leadership and can't think of any mistakes, at least none that really mattered in the end. Spain didn't concede a goal in the knockout rounds in 2008 after all.

I agree that he's underrated in general though.
In 2008, he was not at fault for any of the goals Spain conceded directly.

First game v Russia - they won 4-1 - Villa lost his marker from a set piece.
Second game v Sweden - they won 2-1 - Ramos got owned by Ibra.
Third game v Greece - they won 2-1 - Puyol was rested.

QF v Italy - they won on penalties after a 0-0. Clean sheet.

SF v Russia - they won 3-0 - clean sheet.

Final v Germany - they won 1-0 - clean sheet.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
And it is so easy for Puskas to get away from Thuram. All he needs is to drift into the middle or even to the right. I see him working well with Gullit to overload that wing. Gullit drops back/drops wide and pulls Davids with him. Puskas occupies that space and links with MvP with Puyol being the main defender that side.
You take way too many of The Stain's players out of the equation there. Gullit pulling wide means Zambrotta helps out defending him, even if Davids follows, it leaves Puskas and van Basten against Puyol, Beckenbauer and Thuram. Hardly a bad set-up in defense and Gullit isn't your traditional winger who will create countless chances down the wing against two players. Davids certainly is a great fit to help out against Gullit and can match his physicality.

It's a fascinating battle and not one-sided at all. It can go either way in my opinion.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
You take way too many of The Stain's players out of the equation there. Gullit pulling wide means Zambrotta helps out defending him, even if Davids follows, it leaves Puskas and van Basten against Puyol, Beckenbauer and Thuram. Hardly a bad set-up in defense and Gullit isn't your traditional winger who will create countless chances down the wing against two players. Davids certainly is a great fit to help out against Gullit and can match his physicality.

It's a fascinating battle and not one-sided at all. It can go either way in my opinion.
Quintessentially, the midfield battle in that area is between Masopust vs Zagorakis. I certainly see Masopust coming out on top in that. I have a steady supply of attacks coming in from there. Masopust is a fantastic passer of the ball and is capable of making runs himself. With him dominating Zagorakis, who is going to be there stepping in, Thuram or Beckenbauer? They already have Puskas and MvB there. I definitely see goals there.

On the flip side, Zambrotta linking with Czibor they are against Durkovic and Matthaus with Zidane also having Deschamps...and this is before he even reaches Muller and my CB's. With Muller there, I certainly won't claim to shut him out, but my path to goal is more straight and easier and will have a much better chance at being successful.

You will easily win the battle of the midfield, you'll be the one with the most possession and that is both a negative a plus. Usually teams who rely on purely central brilliance without world class dribblers will need space to play into, and almost exclusively excel in direct attacks.

There hasn't been many great sides who didn't have any natural width in the team and Breitner and Durkovic needs to provide as much width as possible here both in terms of frequency and position. I am not sure that is the greatest asset of Breitner, to hug the side line and burst back and forth there. Matthäus and Masopust both love going on forward runs and that will also mean space behind them for Zidane to have some key moments in the game too on the break.
France 98 (Lizarazu and Thuram), Brazil's magic square (Carlos/Cafu), Germany 96 (Brehme and Berthold), Platini's France of 82...all great teams that played without traditional wingers. It's not like everytime they face a team with wingers, the full back never moves up. We see them contributing to attack almost every match every week. See no reason, it has to be a weakness in my team.

coolredwine

lameredboots

Yes. But it's not as if the keeper here is a mug when the opposition is attacking. He will hold his own when pressed into action.

Marty1968

Wow, what a team for EAP! Deschamps, Matthaus and Gullit dropping in to help the midfield when needed would make his midfield almost impenetrable. Despite the excellence of Zidane on the other side I think even he would have a hard game here. Up front, possibly two of the best strikers in the draft in van Basten and Puskas. Both outstanding and both capable of producing moments of magic.

My vote's going to EAP.

Annahnomoss

France 98 (Lizarazu and Thuram), Brazil's magic square (Carlos/Cafu), Germany 96 (Brehme and Berthold), Platini's France of 82...all great teams that played without traditional wingers. It's not like everytime they face a team with wingers, the full back never moves up. We see them contributing to attack almost every match every week. See no reason, it has to be a weakness in my team.
Wasn't it Ziege/Reuter for Germany 96? The key difference in that side was that they had Sammer at his peak covering for the central defenders. The other teams relies on absolute world class full backs, who in their era were very dominant and are considered among the greater of all time.

Carlos-Cafu and Thuram-Lizarazu, whereas the French side of '84 is a fair comparison. The difference there was that only one of the 14 goals scored were scored by the strikers, their job was to manipulate space for the rest of the team and an in general very tactical roles. Here your set up almost completely the opposite way. I am the biggest fan of Gullit but I think he's a lot better suited up front here focusing on providing width on each side and being a bully target men to offer 1-touch plays for the full backs or Puskas/van Basten.

I am not sure why you want him to be everywhere in this game, just because he can do that doesn't mean he has to. He'd have a worse game himself maybe if his role was tactically more restricted to peeling a centre back out of position when drifting wide but the team would be more cohesive.

That said even then I think Amancio/Czibor would have been too dangerous here and you'd be in need of a defensive midfielder who could drop down in to the defense preferably and centre backs who are comfortable as LCB/RCBs. Is Campbell/Blanc the ideal player to run out wide and shut down 1 vs 1's.

For me they are rock solid in a slightly less attacking defense though, I really like Campbell and Blanc in general though.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A narrow formation hinges on a high calibre of full-back to function. That's why Brazil '98, Brazil '02, France '98, France '00, Milan '00s worked.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Wasn't it Ziege/Reuter for Germany 96? The key difference in that side was that they had Sammer at his peak covering for the central defenders. The other teams relies on absolute world class full backs, who in their era were very dominant and are considered among the greater of all time.

Carlos-Cafu and Thuram-Lizarazu, whereas the French side of '84 is a fair comparison. The difference there was that only one of the 14 goals scored were scored by the strikers, their job was to manipulate space for the rest of the team and an in general very tactical roles. Here your set up almost completely the opposite way. I am the biggest fan of Gullit but I think he's a lot better suited up front here focusing on providing width on each side and being a bully target men to offer 1-touch plays for the full backs or Puskas/van Basten.

I am not sure why you want him to be everywhere in this game, just because he can do that doesn't mean he has to. He'd have a worse game himself maybe if his role was tactically more restricted to peeling a centre back out of position when drifting wide but the team would be more cohesive.

That said even then I think Amancio/Czibor would have been too dangerous here and you'd be in need of a defensive midfielder who could drop down in to the defense preferably and centre backs who are comfortable as LCB/RCBs. Is Campbell/Blanc the ideal player to run out wide and shut down 1 vs 1's.

For me they are rock solid in a slightly less attacking defense though, I really like Campbell and Blanc in general though.
Yeah, not Germany 86 as they had a aback 3, but the other examples stand. As for the role of striker in being "their job was to manipulate space for the rest of the team" who better than MvB to do that. He is a complete striker and excellent at holding up and bringing others into attack. And who better 'others' than Puskas and Gullit?

As for Gullit, it is kind of the same argument as Rijkaard. His natural game is everywhere. He drifts out wide, moves into attacking midfield, drop back to own half and makes plays. The video I posted in OP is a good examples of what he does in a match. I don't think there is much difference in how he plays RW and Right Inside Forward. And his role is not to be everywhere. He is there with primary purpose to bully Puyol and drag him wide if possible...and he will do that throughout this match.

I don't get how Amancio will have a decent game. He has ZERO width there and most his attacks will flow from Zambrotta/Czibor. I certainly fail to see how he will be threatening all match!

Is Campbell/Blanc the ideal player to run out wide and shut down 1 vs 1's? No. That's whay I have full back's. We see fullbacks participating in attacks despite facing wingers almost every match week in week out. I don't see how that becomes a 'liability' here.

Left backs: Zambrotta vs Breitner. Breitner every time. GOAT. I would rate Breitner superior and more balanced than Zambarotta every time. See point on Amancio above. Breitner will have far more influence in this game than Amancio.
Right backs: He doesn't have any. Thuram is played as a 3rd CB.

A narrow formation hinges on a high calibre of full-back to function. That's why Brazil '98, Brazil '02, France '98, France '00, Milan '00s worked.
What's wrong with my CB's here? Breitner comfortably makes top tier of all LB's in this draft. Durkovic can hold his own and has Matthaus in a defensive box-to-box for support. I don't expect to attack that route. I have already identified as his best attack rote, so will stick to stalwart defending there.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
  • "The Greek dude" is just cheap, really, if you can't remember 9 letters then what are you doing here?
Oh boy, good you weren't around a couple of years ago, any unfamiliar name got dog's abuse. With so many drafts gone many have got to be appreciated, while managers have had criticism coming back to bite them when they inevitably resort to that player in a different draft.

My all-time favourite is Chumpito, as in little chump.

Puyol, Durkovic, Zambrotta, Schrojf - what are they doing in the semi?
Puyol is absolutely fine. Someone like Kohler would be more fancy but on a Euro basis they are comparable players. It's a shame Forster is gone but The Stain needed Muller, and Beckenbauer is a great fit with his midfield. It just hasn't improved him defensively IMO.

Durkovic most likely isn't good enough to stop Czibor, but he is supposedly a solid enough defenderand excellent on the overlap, which EAP can really do with. Unfortunately, he is seen as a weakness (he is relatively speaking) but lack of width also gets mentioned when it's the entire point of this fella. The draft isn't heaving with great fullbacks TBH.

Zambrotta is very much a similar story but clearly a better fullback than Cabrini and others who wouldn't receive similar treatment. In fact, while his and Durkovic's role in attack is overlooked, Breitner doesn't get questioned when I can hardly see him providing width, which is what his team needs here.

Questioning Shrojf is a cheap shot as well IMO. Yes, the only game I've seen him in was poor, but not in Euros. He was the Czech keeper for a decade or so, in a golden era for them and the Czechs had great keepers both before and after Shrojf. Targetting him is as ignorant as targetting "the Greek dude".

antohan

I don't get it at all actually. Why can't Beckenbauer do the build-up when the team is in possession without it taking anything away from his defensive duties when your team has the ball?
Aye, you would think that is the one reason he starts ahead of Forster!

harms

Staff
Questioning Shrojf is a cheap shot as well IMO. Yes, the only game I've seen him in was poor, but not in Euros. He was the Czech keeper for a decade or so, in a golden era for them and the Czechs had great keepers both before and after Shrojf. Targetting him is as ignorant as targetting "the Greek dude".
To be honest, I don't have a problem with them, I have a problem with EAP's approach of shoving his oldies under the blanket. I want stories, facts, statistics, opinions - not just "he was great, end of" - and if I don't get any, I assume that he sees them as a weakness himself and tries to divert attention from them - something that he does brilliantly, as we all know.

Agree on Puyol, I was too harsh on him, it's just that he is up against a scary GOAT attack here.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I want stories, facts, statistics, opinions - not just "he was great, end of" - and if I don't get any, I assume that he sees them as a weakness himself and tries to divert attention from them - something that he does brilliantly, as we all know.
Oh, my. Welcome to Zebec-gate! ;)

Here's a brief write up I had posted about him in the main thread.

Vladimir Durković

Beginnings:
Popularly known as "Dure", Durković, born in current Serbia, was a easily recognizable talent even at early age. He made good impressions in the 2nd division summer camps at young age of 16 and caught the eye of the then Red Star Belgrade coach, Misa Pavic. At 18 he got his first Red Star Jersey in a friendly match against Dinamo, just 22 days after he signed for the club. Though obviously talented, his early days of football was quite unsettling. Shunted between both flanks and played over a variety of positions he managed only 7 games throughout the season. Next year, he played even less with just one single game.

Glory Days:
It was in his 3rd year with the club, that he settled into the Right Back place and a glittering career took off. Red Star during those years was a team with no obvious weaknesses and granite like defence comprising of players like Beara, Stankovic etc. The then 'Technical Director' of the team, Kika Popovic wanted to move Dure to play Right Back, which he refused. After a bit of convincing, Dure switched positions for a final time and the career of one of the best fullbacks was born. Durković in the jersey of Red Star played a total of 405 matches (of which 177 and 19 in the League Cup Yugoslavia) and scored 30 goals (of which seven league).

Playing Style:
For the club, he was for years a pillar of defense, one of the most consistent players who was rarely out of form. He had a uncompromising attitude and played a robust game. Not just talented, he was also very intelligent in reading the game, positioning himself and knew when to defend and when to attack. A natural fighter, he brilliantly balanced his game with stalwart defending and effective runs to join the attack.

Overseas Career:
His first stop in season 1966/67 was the famous German Bundesliga club Borussia Monchengladbach though he only played 10 matches and decided to move to France. He got a call from a famous French first division team AS Saint-Etienne which at that time was in it's peak years. Dure was in fine form and in 3 years with the French team, they won the French championship theice (1968, 1969 and 1970) and French Cup twice (1968 and 1970).

Tragic Death:
After playing a game against FC Sion, Dure was shot by a drunken cop when he was 35yo. Despite surgeries, Dure passed away due to injuries to the stomach caused by the bullets, ending the career of one of the most accomplished football player to come out of Yugoslavia.

Here's a quote from UEFA.com when he made Team of the Tournament in 1960, a time when that had meaning and he was one of the 2 defenders to have been selected.

Vladimir Durković

Date of birth: 06/11/1937 (died 22/06/1972)
Position: Defender

Djurković excelled as a 22-year-old at the first UEFA European Championship, offering defensive solidity and attacking penetration at right-back. Although Yugoslavia missed out in France, he won a gold medal at the Rome Olympics that September. Djurković played with FK Crvena zvezda before making a name for himself with AS Saint-Étienne, winning three French League titles and the Coupe de France twice. He died tragically when mistakenly shot by a policeman in Sion, Switzerland in June 1972 at the age of 36.

Annahnomoss

@Edgar Allan Pillow I may have missed some statement from The Stain but you keep banging on as if Thuram is a pure centre back here which goes against what The Stain has written in his write up?

"Thuram and Zambrotta will cover so much ground that the opposition will be exhausted after the game."

"Thuram will not surge forward so much but will leave his position and help the central defense as we have some superb players to contend with centrally. Even Zambrotta will tuck inside at times too congest the central area."

Why would he talk about Thuram and Zambrotta together covering so much ground if he doesn't, like he in the second quote says - go forward as well?

The direct quote is "he will not surge forward so/THAT much" rather than "He'll never ever leave the defense" like you keep banging on about.

Also you can't compare his right back against your right back and his left back against yours as your left back Breitner will face his right back Thuram which is a dead even match up. You have provided no evidence at all that Durkovic had a better Euro performance than Zambrotta either so why would anybody assume that.

At best I can give you that they are even, in reality I'd say you need to provide more evidence and discussion on his performances in the Euro to even say he's as good as Zambrotta.

Had decided I had already commented too much, but it just seems ugly to state the opponent plays a tactic that he doesn't. That said I apologies if The Stain later on stated that Thuram is playing as a pure centre back, couldn't find that comment myself though.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Zagorakis is against Masopust (who is a class above) and I expect to win that battle consistently in this match. Thuram is tucked in to provide consistent support in the middle.
Tbf, on the basis of Euro form Zagorakis deserves to be here and it isn't an unfavourable contest. Although tbf to Masopust, he did win the CEICs, and came in the TOTM in 1960 so I can see him having the edge perhaps, just not consistently winning the battle though or being a class above in terms of Euro performances.

Right Wing:

His team has near non-existent presence there. Thuram is tucked in and Zagorakis is in a defensive role as per his OP. With Masopust's superirity, I see me having significant advantage in that wing. As mentioned in DM part, it's my team that owns that flank.
Come on mate :D, he has Amancio there of all people. Probably the best RW in this draft imo, in terms of his Euro performances. He, after Suárez, was the best player in the 1964 Euros and it showed when he finished 3rd in the Balon d'Or behind Law and Suárez.

Oh and @harms you can't vote here as you are in the semis as well. So it's 9-12 right now, quite the turn around by The Stain.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Stain's been quite inactive this game :(

@Annahnomoss Probably some miscommunication here....

Covering ground is a generic comment. Don't think there are any lazy players in both our midfields. Not sure why that has any other specific meaning to his team.

My point was that Thuram would not be providing width a traditional RB would be providing due to his role here. Don't recall saying he would never leave defence. He's playing a RCB without a wingback that flank is my take on that. With Thuram and Zagorakis in defensive roles, Amancio would lack service down that flank, which I think is a fair assumption.

Did I claim Durkovic was better than Zambarotta? Don't recall specifically. I've mentioned multiple times that his best route is Zambarotta/Czibor and I have Durkovic and Matthaus in largely defensive roles there as cover there. I don't expect to do much attacking that wing, so it would be even at best for him.

Put both above together. Amancio not getting enough service and other flank being tied even at best, I was just disagreeing with you comment that Amancio/Czibor will be dangerous. Don't think so.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Oh and @harms you can't vote here as you are in the semis as well. So it's 9-12 right now, quite the turn around by The Stain.
Oh feck, totally forgot that but you're right. The semifinalists aren't allowed to vote in the other semifinal unless they already lost theirs, so that they can't influence who they have to play in the final. So neither @harms nor you are allowed to vote here. Could you maybe vote for EAP, Joga? So that both your votes nullify each other and the 'wrong' gap in votes won't have an influence on the last hours of the game?

coolredwine

lameredboots
I can see another scenario playing out in this match when our team decides to hit a counter. With Zambrotta and Thuram up field, the central defense might be lose their position with the Greek DM and Beckenbauer stepping into each other's position.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Also, Zidane is their main go to guy with the ball. Mark him out of the game and the service to Amancio, Czibor and Mueller will cease.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Never said otherwise. All I said was he'll lack service from behind him.
Yeah just read the post above which makes more sense but still, there is Beckenbauer in defense who is brilliant at bringing the ball out of defense and has a cracking pass on him (talk about stating the obvious :D), so that mitigates it heavily. Also the likes of Davids-Zago aren't playmakers, yes, but they are comfortable on the ball and good passers who can play direct balls to Amancio but I do get what you are trying to get at.

Oh feck, totally forgot that but you're right. The semifinalists aren't allowed to vote in the other semifinal unless they already lost theirs, so that they can't influence who they have to play in the final. So neither @harms nor you are allowed to vote here. Could you maybe vote for EAP, Joga? So that both your votes nullify each other and the 'wrong' gap in votes won't have an influence on the last hours of the game?
Sure thing. Voted for EAP to balance it out.

antohan

Tbf, on the basis of Euro form Zagorakis deserves to be here and it isn't an unfavourable contest. Although tbf to Masopust, he did win the CEICs, and came in the TOTM in 1960 so I can see him having the edge perhaps, just not consistently winning the battle though or being a class above in terms of Euro performances.
Nah, sorry, that's bollocks. He IS a class above, Zagorakis did really well for a team that had defending as their number one mission, but that doesn't put him in the same class as Masopust.

Come on mate :D, he has Amancio there of all people. Probably the best RW in this draft imo.
Doesn't look all that to me.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Nah, sorry, that's bollocks. He IS a class above, Zagorakis did really well for a team that had defending as their number one mission, but that doesn't put him in the same class as Masopust
That is a valid point indeed and it did aid Zagorakis immensely but it isn't like he is playing in a gung-ho set-up and he isn't on a one-man wall mission here - now that would be overplaying his Player of the Tournament card as it was a team effort rather than one individual carrying the team. Zagorakis is asked to play a fairly disciplined role shielding a defense consisting of the likes of Beckenbauer, Puyol and Thuram whilst having a top notch DM in Davids beside him. Whilst the more expansive set-up (in relative to the Greek one ofc) could diminish his effectiveness, it wouldn't leave him exposed or being consistently outmatched by Masopust here though. It's no slight on Masopust, just think that Zagorakis should get his fair dues for his performances in 2004 and not be portrayed as someone who will consistently come second best throughout their battle. Like I said earlier, I would even give Masopust the edge in this match-up and in general it is a non-contest but in terms of Euro performances the gap shouldn't be as great as it is made to me.

And spoiler that ffs! :lol:

antohan

That is a valid point indeed and it did aid Zagorakis immensely but it isn't like he is playing in a gung-ho set-up and he isn't on a one-man wall mission here - now that would be overplaying his Player of the Tournament card as it was a team effort rather than one individual carrying the team. Zagorakis is asked to play a fairly disciplined role shielding a defense consisting of the likes of Beckenbauer, Puyol and Thuram whilst having a top notch DM in Davids beside him. Whilst the more expansive set-up (in relative to the Greek one ofc) could diminish his effectiveness, it wouldn't leave him exposed or being consistently outmatched by Masopust here though. It's no slight on Masopust, just think that Zagorakis should get his fair dues for his performances in 2004 and not be portrayed as someone who will consistently come second best throughout their battle. Like I said earlier, I would even give Masopust the edge in this match-up and in general it is a non-contest but in terms of Euro performances the gap shouldn't be as great as it is made to me.

No slight on Zagorakis either, I had Masopust beating Rijkaard regularly in the last match! It is fair to say the setup around Zagorakis here will limit his one-two options more, agreed, although if Thuram tucks in ( seeing as many credit that as a three-man defence + Zambrotta) then Masopust and Breitner will one-two past Zago at ease all game long.

I don't think Breitner will provide much width, that is EAPs flaw on that side, but he sure as hell can work in tandem with Masopust to run over that midfield. Unless, of course, Thuram isn't tucking in which presents different problems (namely, Masopust playing Puskas through).

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Work has kept me until now, will read through.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

That's my take on the midfield battle. It's also the kind of hard-working, grizzly midfield Zidane excelled operating in for club and country, renewing his partnership with Davids behind him. And if he reaches the brilliance of his Euro 2000 form, that could shift the match-up into the Stain's favour.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
What got me to the semi's was the fact that both my opponents had very centrally based setups. It's the same in this match, albeit EAP has a better team than my previous opponents. But my team is also stronger now. There seems to be confusion over my tactics so i might as well try to explain what my team will look like in different stages of the match.

Defending in own half with aim to quickly counter when possession is won back. Numerical advantages centrally with wingers ready to counter. When there aren't opportunities to counter my team have several players that were excellent at keeping possession and more slowly build play. I've allowed the right flank to be more open as i don't see his fullbacks playing big roles in the match. There will be occassions when Breitner comes flying up the wing, however this is dangerous as EAP will be exposed to the danger of Amancio's pace/dribbling:

Setup when we're attacking down the left. Notice Beckenbauer (enabling playmaking) and Zagorakis switching positions (tucks in between Puyol/Thuram. Thuram ready to move forward when play switches to the right side, Beckenbauer will then retake his position in defense next to Zagorakis). Team is well setup for counterattacking threats: