g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Euro Draft - SF - The Stain vs Team EAP

Judged on the Euro performances, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Puskas and Gullit are playing between his defensive midfield and defence.

When I have the ball...
- Davids is between Gullit and Matthaus. Zambrotta is not a tucking in type and so will not be of much help here.
- Masopust 'has an edge' over Zagorakis.

When he has the ball:
- I have Durkovic (capable as both RB and RCB) plus Matthaus holding that flank and Deschamps in the middle before we even get to CB's
- I don't see him attacking through the other flank at all.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
There are some flaws in EAP side and Gio's point about full backs being critical to his formation is a very good one but overall the quality of his front 5 is too strong to ignore here.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Setup when we're attacking down the left. Notice Beckenbauer (enabling playmaking) and Zagorakis switching positions (tucks in between Puyol/Thuram. Thuram ready to move forward when play switches to the right side, Beckenbauer will then retake his position in defense next to Zagorakis). Team is well setup for counterattacking threats:

Of all the high lines, this would be suicidal against my team. I'll definitely rip you on the counter as my front 2 of Puskas/MvB will stay on top for such a thing.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Puskas and Gullit are playing between his defensive midfield and defence.

When I have the ball...
- Davids is between Gullit and Matthaus. Zambrotta is not a tucking in type and so will not be of much help here.
- Masopust 'has an edge' over Zagorakis.

When he has the ball:
- I have Durkovic (capable as both RB and RCB) plus Matthaus holding that flank and Deschamps in the middle before we even get to CB's
- I don't see him attacking through the other flank at all.
Zambrotta would still be on the left fullback/wingback position and is specifically asked to help Davids on occassion. But i guess he'd just say feck it. Masopust has an "edge", ehm, i'd like to hear more about his EURO credentials, not just, he was a great player. Czibor will destroy Durkovic here. Matthaus would not be at his best in this match either, questionable EURO credentials. Again, every time you argue against my team my players seem to disappear off the pitch. This is Amancio in his peak and Thuram right after his peak. I'm sure they'd influence the game.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Of all the high lines, this would be suicidal against my team. I'll definitely rip you on the counter as my front 2 of Puskas/MvB will stay on top for such a thing.
Yeah you're right. It's supposed to be lower, got a bit excited there. Anyway, i've not put it as a high line in the write-up. It's fairly low.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Masopust has an "edge", ehm, i'd like to hear more about his EURO credentials, not just, he was a great player.
That Czech side was not that great. Masopust was widely credited as the played who dragged them to 3rd place in that tournament. He made the TotT for his performances, the only non-USSR (tournament winners) midfielder to be chosen so. Domestically he was the heart of the Dukla side that won the domestic championship. At that time, Dukla was a army created side and they just cherry picked the best players in the country which naturally caused uproar in players respective clubs....and he was the elite of a team of best players. It was a breakout performance that peaked when he won the Balon d'Or 2 years later. Yes, I do believe his peak was way higher than Zagorakis. I consider it a gulf, more than any edge.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
That's my take on the midfield battle. It's also the kind of hard-working, grizzly midfield Zidane excelled operating in for club and country, renewing his partnership with Davids behind him. And if he reaches the brilliance of his Euro 2000 form, that could shift the match-up into the Stain's favour.
Indeed, when he was worried about Shearer a couple of rounds ago I told him Davids was the more significant upgrade IMO. I didn't like the look of Shearer and Zidane but giving Zidane the right platform seemed far more relevant. It's a strong midfield and spine, no two ways about it.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yeah you're right. It's supposed to be lower, got a bit excited there. Anyway, i've not put it as a high line in the write-up. It's fairly low.
I gave up on such pictures long ago, massively open to interpretation on where you place things. Yes, being that high would be suicidal, but your "low"version would instead expose gaps all over the place.