The Facts You Think to be Undisputedly True in Football Which Has Not Been Talked about Enough?

fergies coat

Rivaldo won Copa America in 1999 being named best player of the tournament. Also won La Liga, which was among the two strongest leagues in the continent, scoring 24 goals and giving 12 assists.

Who was your pick and why do you disagree exactly?
The same Barcelona team that went out in the group stages of the CL. Brazil have won the Copa 9 times, hardly a massive achievement.

Dwight Yorke had 29 goals and 19 assists, and United won the treble. He came 11th.

Barcelona had 3 players in the top ten of the Ballon dor. They won one trophy that season. Its clearly biased.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The same Barcelona team that went out in the group stages of the CL. Brazil have won the Copa 9 times, hardly a massive achievement.

Dwight Yorke had 29 goals and 19 assists, and United won the treble. He came 11th.

Barcelona had 3 players in the top ten of the Ballon dor. They won one trophy that season. Its clearly biased.
Barcelona had 2 players - Rivaldo and Figo - voted for in the Ballon D’Or in 1999. United had 7 - Beckham, Keane, Yorke, Schmeichel, Giggs, Stam and Cole.

If anything that shows how unbalanced Barcelona were and how they reliant they were on those two players to compete. Meanwhile, United had a better spread of talent from back to front.

That group of death between United, Barcelona and Bayern remains perhaps the toughest CL group of all time boasting arguably the 3 best teams in Europe. There was very little between the three teams by the end of the six games. It all boiled down to the 3-3 draw in the Nou Camp where Rivaldo was in ridiculous form, but couldn’t quite drag his team over the line.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
The fact that Rivaldo won the Ballon d'Or in 1999 is kind of disagreeable though. There is clear tendency for these awards to be given out to continental players who play a certain way.
I agree there's a bias towards players who play a certain way. It's just that England, or the English league, doesn't really produce such players.

Indeed, the only player that the English league has produced or had that really fits that bill was George Best. But he was Irish, or in footballing terms - Northern Irish.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
My 2 cents:

1. Players playing in La Liga are favored in those Fifa/ Ballon'Or elections

2. Teams from La Liga are favored by the referees in European competitions
Neither of those are facts.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I agree there's a bias towards players who play a certain way. It's just that England, or the English league, doesn't really produce such players.

Indeed, the only player that the English league has produced or had that really fits that bill was George Best. But he was Irish, or in footballing terms - Northern Irish.
Players that play that way?! Haha, you mean actual good footballers? I'm sorry that they're prioritised over people that run around a lot and 'put a shift in' :lol:

fergies coat

Barcelona had 2 players - Rivaldo and Figo - voted for in the Ballon D’Or in 1999. United had 7 - Beckham, Keane, Yorke, Schmeichel, Giggs, Stam and Cole.

If anything that shows how unbalanced Barcelona were and how they reliant they were on those two players to compete. Meanwhile, United had a better spread of talent from back to front.

That group of death between United, Barcelona and Bayern remains perhaps the toughest CL group of all time boasting arguably the 3 best teams in Europe. There was very little between the three teams by the end of the six games. It all boiled down to the 3-3 draw in the Nou Camp where Rivaldo was in ridiculous form, but couldn’t quite drag his team over the line.
United had two in the top ten, Beckham and Keane. Barcelona had 3, Rivaldo, Figo and Raul.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Players that play that way?! Haha, you mean actual good footballers? I'm sorry that they're prioritised over people that run around a lot and 'put a shift in' :lol:
I think you might've replied to the wrong person. ;)

Red00012

PL refs are more lenient than European refs

I’ll get to the point

that nani red card v Madrid

I’m still not over it

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Yeah, it's one of the reasons why United are the the biggest club in England - its player history is just far superior to the other clubs in the league.

It's also one of the reasons why Real Madrid and Barcelona place higher that United though, as between them they've essentially had the greatest players in the history of the game, bar Pele, playing for them at some point.
This is absolutely right. You could make a list of the top 10 players of all time and at least 8 of them would have played for Real Madrid or Barcelona at some point in their careers. That's just not the case for Liverpool or Man United or any other English club.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I don't think so with respect. You're both saying that there's a bias towards players who 'play that way'. There's no 'playing that way', those are just exceptional footballers. Rivaldo is an exceptional footballer. And the other gent said 'continental players', when Rivaldo is from Brazil! That's not a 'continental' player.....

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

You make some fair points. Yorke probably deserved better than 11th, but it's also fair to say the Premier was considered 4th best league back then in Europe (behind Italian, Spanish and French in that order) and at the end of the day he scored 18 in 32 games in the league. It's like the overall contribution from each player was more shared at United (i.e. Andy Cole scored 17 in 32, Beckham finished 2nd behind Rivaldo).

I also think Rivaldo or Sheva were much better players.

Someone is yet to explain Michael Owen in 2001 though.

Tyrion

This one is true but it's due to the massive lobbying done by the spanish teams. Most other to european clubs don't give a shit.
Balon Dor was mostly irrelevant before the two big Spanish clubs turned it into an annual dick measuring contest between Messi and Ronaldo. I'd love a British player to win it and not even bother showing up. Treat it like Michael Owen.

acnumber9

Think back to the Euro 2020 when every decision was checked by VAR and it was widely lauded throughout.
We certainly saw evidence of how much better European refs are on Thursday. With possibly the worst decision ever seen.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I don't think so with respect. You're both saying that there's a bias towards players who 'play that way'. There's no 'playing that way', those are just exceptional footballers. Rivaldo is an exceptional footballer. And the other gent said 'continental players', when Rivaldo is from Brazil! That's not a 'continental' player.....
I agree - that’s why I said it’s not a bias. It’s just that England, or the English league, hasn’t really produced many of those exceptional players. Or at least it hasn’t done so in significant numbers.

Last edited:

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I agree - that’s why I said it’s not a bias. It’s just that England, or the English league, hasn’t really produced many of those exceptional players. Or at least it hasn’t done so in significant numbers.
Fair enough, I misread what you wrote.

NICanRed

Spot on for the first bit, plus stealing yardage each time is infuriating.

But didn't the 6 second rule get binned years ago?
Apparently not. The only time I have seen this enforced was in an Olympic Women's Semi-final 2012 and it was particularly painful. Canada and the US were tied at 3-3 in extra time. The Canadian keeper was judged to have exceeded the 6 seconds and the US was awarded an indirect free kick inside the penalty area. The free kick hit the wall - on the Canadian player's elbow and the referee awarded a penalty which was, of course duly converted.

JeffFromHK

Nah, he is just an Barca fan believing that La Masia's Cryuff-influenced total football + Tika Taka possession + crisp short passes + magical touches mingled with samba dribbling "way of football" is the proper one. Those English/German's "running dog" way of football are inferior.

Those footballer journalists may hold the same thoughts, hence Barca players are favored in Ballon d"or

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Referees should punish foul throws everytime. It's a simple bloody thing, almost every throw is a foul throw these days. Even the guys who launch them into the box never stop at the line.

And how the 6 second rule for goalkeepers is never enforced.
It used to be that the thrower had to have both feet behind the touch,now all that is required to have the feet either touching or behind the line.

As for the six second tile IFAB directives were it shouldn’t be enforced “as long as the referee deems that the goalkeeper is making a sincere effort to release the ball, there is no need to strictly enforce the 6 second rule”

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
If Premier League was a football club it would have same reputation as PSG or City. Buying success. Without the superior buying power I don't think it would be anywhere near as good league as La Liga or Serie A.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If Premier League was a football club it would have same reputation as PSG or City. Buying success. Without the superior buying power I don't think it would be anywhere near as good league as La Liga or Serie A.
Bit rich coming from a Madrid fan. Your best players in history are dominated with expensive signings.

Thom Merrilin

Added time/injury time is a scam. The ball is only in play for roughly 55 minutes in the average premier league game, when's the last time you saw 15 plus minutes added on? This has always bugged me since I learned about it and I don't see many people talking about it.

This is what the FA website states about added time:

3. Allowance for time lost

Allowance is made by the referee in each half for all playing time lost in that half through:
  • substitutions
  • assessment and/or removal of injured players
  • wasting time
  • disciplinary sanctions
  • medical stoppages permitted by competition rules e.g. ‘drinks’ breaks (which should not exceed one minute) and ‘cooling’ breaks (ninety seconds to three minutes)
  • delays relating to VAR 'checks' and 'reviews'
  • any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart (e.g. goal celebrations)
The bolded parts are what bug me, it's clearly written in the rules but never actually put into place.

Reactions: Invictus

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Added time/injury time is a scam. The ball is only in play for roughly 55 minutes in the average premier league game, when's the last time you saw 15 plus minutes added on? This has always bugged me since I learned about it and I don't see many people talking about it.

This is what the FA website states about added time:

3. Allowance for time lost

Allowance is made by the referee in each half for all playing time lost in that half through:
  • substitutions
  • assessment and/or removal of injured players
  • wasting time
  • disciplinary sanctions
  • medical stoppages permitted by competition rules e.g. ‘drinks’ breaks (which should not exceed one minute) and ‘cooling’ breaks (ninety seconds to three minutes)
  • delays relating to VAR 'checks' and 'reviews'
  • any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart (e.g. goal celebrations)
The bolded parts are what bug me, it's clearly written in the rules but never actually put into place.
The scoreline affects how much time is added on far too much. Refs are essentially dictating how they want the game to end.

Gazza

It always struck me as odd that when it comes to scrutinizing referee decisions and implementing VAR, the emphasis is on trying to reduce/eliminate error. But with timekeeping there’s absolutely none of that and no one seems to care that each and every football match is of a different duration.

Thom Merrilin

The scoreline affects how much time is added on far too much. Refs are essentially dictating how they want the game to end.
I agree. In fact, most of the laws allow a lot of room for interpretation and when you acknowledge that referees are human you end up with biased decisions that aren't incorrect when compared to the letter of the law.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
How most corners are wasted and statistically you’re not likely to score from one. Commentary always talks them up every time one is won in a close game.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
You can't say that when Real Madrid benefited a lot from Bosman ruling to buy the best foreigners to succeed in Europe.

Real was struggling to compete in the European Cup for almost 30 years with full spanish squad.

Raul, Hierro,Ramos,Casillas, and Carvajal are the only spanish players that contributed a lot to Madrid european success from 1998 and onwards, the rest all foreigners : Figo, Zidane, Redondo, Cristiano, Casemiro, Makelele, Modric, Kroos, Navas, Benzema, Roberto Carlos, Vinicius, Di María, Bale, Courtuois, etc

Real Madrid is the biggest club in Europe, but it's hardly an organic club, they used a lot of money to buy the european success they were missing between the 70s and 1998.

Barca european success was more organic, as the likes of Messi,Xavi,Guardiola,Puyol, Iniesta,Pique, and Busquests came from La Masia.

Last edited:

reelworld

To be fair, big reason why the money came in is thanks to the profile rise in the 90s, which came about thanks to smart marketing, especially with the global advantage that the English language has.
La Liga match time also isn't that favorable for Asians too, which is arguably a huge market. Many times El Classico was put in ungodly hours while Liverpool Man United match was put in perfect time for Asian football fans to watch.
There's a reason why EPL international broadcasting fee was the largest in the world.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
La Liga match time also isn't that favorable for Asians too, which is arguably a huge market. Many times El Classico was put in ungodly hours while Liverpool Man United match was put in perfect time for Asian football fans to watch.
There's a reason why EPL international broadcasting fee was the largest in the world.
But that's the advantage of the english language though, it will always be favoured as second language to learn over the rest.

How many asians are choosing spanish,italian, or german as second language over english?

Barely any.

When companies want to market a product in other countries, if they don't use the local language guess what language they use instead?

Right, English....even if the company isn't british or american.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That any player can be completely dominant in one league but absolutely rubbish in another.