The FIFA and PES nostalgia thread..

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Instead of creating a thread comparing the two current versions, thought we'd have a thread celebrating the best classic games these two franchises have created over the years, the best game modes/mini games or moments you've had playing certain versions and any other memories.

My first memory of any football-related video game was FIFA 95, running in a diagonal line cutting in from the wing and then smashing it top corner just outside the box :drool:.. Romario I think was top rated, Shearer was a monster too.. loved the season mode on it and competing with the likes of Blackburn Rovers.

The next game which took my breath away was a game I went round a family friends house and played on the PC...Fifa 98: Road to the World Cup.. the greatest intro of all time, proper 3D graphics, great music, sensational gameplay, I only got to play it three times a year when we visited but the memories of playing it would stick with me all year.

Then my favourite Fifa of the nineties, Fifa 99. For me probably the best soundtrack of all time as in the great tunes just kept on coming 'funks soul brother - check it out now' and dribbling past players whilst pressing the shit out of the triangle button will never get old. It famously omitted R9 at his absolute peak and you had to look for him under the name of A. Calcio, but he was so worth getting your hands on, a dream to play with who left defenders for dust. This game marked the beginning of the end for the old school Fifa generation, with 2000 basically being a carbon copy but then FIFA started to shoot themselves in the foot until the PS3 Generation.

PES 4/PES 5

Holy shit. For me, the pinnacle of football represented on a video game. PES4 I never owned as I was a die-hard FIFA loyalist, and I remember at school, the new PES had been released and some lad bringing it into school and we had a tournament instead of science. We all paired up in teams of 2, and wow.. I felt like my eyes had been opened, the gameplay was leaps ahead of anything Fifa had ever produced and graphically it just looked far superior. I was still playing FIFA 2004 I think, using right stick for first touches, and pressing some other button for tactical options or off the ball etc and here was a game on a different planet, which I only got round to buying by PES 5. Kasabian, the training modes, Master League.. editing mode. My lord, far too much of my life was consumed by this game.. I have never found Manchester United as beautiful to play with since this game, a young Cristiano at the peak of his dribbling prowess was a monster to play with. Since this game, never really played with United in other video games as they're generally so underpowered so PES 5 (and to a lesser extent PES 6/7) rank high in terms of sentiment value for that reason.

One thing we didn't appreciate at the time was just how immense the gameplay mechanics were. Yes we all raved about them, but I genuinely don't think the modern game has come close to replicating the perfection of the ball physics or the balance between attack/defence we saw in these games. The players with the better footballing brains won 9 times out of 10 and that was a testament to its reputation as the best of football simulation, but it wasn't boring to play - it captured the excitement of the game perfectly.

I'm going to leave it there and let others hopefully chip in with other games from the 90s like ISS which I never got to play, and the FIFA games of the modern consoles which I have played but not to the same extent others have.

What have been some of your favourite games and memories?

Minkaro

The first football game I had was Adidas Power Soccer '98. You could do things like press square and circle to give your player a speed boost, or some other combination made you blast the ball so hard the goalkeeper would go flying back into the goal with it.

Then there was Actua Soccer 3, which has Alan Shearer on the cover, and he was ridiculously overpowered on the game, like you could get the ball with him in your own box, and just walk through opposition players.

First FIFA game I had was '99. I can't remember if it was that one, but on one of the ones around then I remember one of my players getting injured. I refused to take him off, and every time my mate tried to tackle him, they got a straight red, because the game thought they'd injured him again. There was another FIFA game around then were you could press L1 or L2 to dive.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
First footie game I had was Emlyn Hughes international soccer (something like that) on the C64. Was way too easy as it was easily sussed you could score from the exact same spot on the halfway line everytime. First game that was actually decent was Pele on the Megadrive.

First FIFA, world cup 98 on the PS1. Blew me away hearing Blur in the menu having being used to 16bit games.

First PES (kinda) was ISS Pro on the N64, still one of my fave football games to this day.

I prefer Pes over FIFA nowadays but usually end up with both eventually, got every fifa from 06 onwards on different formats and most the Pes games even the tournament tie in ones. I just wish they'd somehow manage to merge the gameplay of Pes with the licences and polish of FIFA. Might happen eventually cos Konami will get fed up one day, especially when they're getting shafted in the UK charts by a flipping basketball game - that must hurt in a country that barely acknowledges basketball.

Phil

Intentional foul and dives were the best.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Agree completely about the excellent balance between attack/defence on PES 5. The main reason I don't play modern football games is because they've simply made attacking easy while retreating from focusing on defence. For me PES 5 plays almost like a beat 'em up. Just so well balanced between almost any team. However, CPU AI sucks on PES 5 as they're not threatening enough so it's only really fun playing against other people.

I also have fond memories of Fifa 09. One of the best online football games I've ever played and probably the only FIFA game where you can actually defend properly. Speed was probably overpowered but for me that just meant not giving pacey players acres of space.

vanthaman

Winner
Loved the indoor football in Fifa 97 and the black and white classic matches in World Cup 98

United58

:drool: Apologies for the poor quality - I should be able to record straight from the PS2 soon

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Used to always get both but preferred PES back in the days of cover athletes like Adriano, John Terry and Thierry Henry then it got appalling fast and FIFA took the crown.

Loved Adidas Power Soccer, UEFA Striker and This Is Football too. TIF was especially mental in that you could two-foot players and dive.

United58

Used to always get both but preferred PES back in the days of cover athletes like Adriano, John Terry and Thierry Henry then it got appalling fast and FIFA took the crown.

Loved Adidas Power Soccer, UEFA Striker and This Is Football too. TIF was especially mental in that you could two-foot players and dive.
PES 5 is my favourite football game, absolute work of art. I'm currently on to season 2023, which doesn't sound so far until you realise the game starts in 2005 :lol:

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Loved just giving the ball to Adriano on PES 5 and just scoring 40 yard screamers.

Deery

Dreary
Does anyone remember a guy called wolodka for Fifa 97 was a complete beast you could buy him in the MLS don’t know if he was a real person or not.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Does anyone remember a guy called wolodka for Fifa 97 was a complete beast you could buy him in the MLS don’t know if he was a real person or not.
Yes! The MLS had unlicensed teams and players, and every team seemed to have 2 or 3 amazing players. I remember reading they were named after the devs, but I don't know how true that was.

Deery

Dreary
Yes! The MLS had unlicensed teams and players, and every team seemed to have 2 or 3 amazing players. I remember reading they were named after the devs, but I don't know how true that was.
I was guessing he wasn’t real but hoping he was, used to score bag fulls with him when I was younger.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I was still playing FIFA 2004 I think, using right stick for first touches, and pressing some other button for tactical options or off the ball etc and here was a game on a different
So, I don't play FIFA or pes anymore. Sometimes I buy a years old one for like a pound.

Is the bold not a thing anymore?

Last edited:

Utdstar01

I remember 'David beckham Soccer' and 'This is football, you could dive and double foot lunge.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
PES 2 was the best it had to be with that intro music.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I thought FIFA 95 was made up player names?

I know FIFA International Soccer was. I always played as Holland, H Van Smeiter was a monster.
Fifa International Soccer. That’s where I first heard of Qatar as they were the shittest team on there. Used to play as Brazil or Italy vs them and do that trick where you would stand in front of the keeper and block his kick and score a tap in and win 30-0.

Best FIFA ever for me though was ‘97 Road to the World Cup. Just a brilliant game, the indoor 5 a side game was so fun.

Amarsdd

PES 4 was my goto for a long time.
And does anyone remember a football game in which you could just continuously run away from the ref when he was about to book you?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
PES throughout PS2 was the best. Absolutely brilliant games.
The only reason I've kept my 360 is because of Pes 6.

Anyho,anyone remember a game called Fighting Soccer ? That was..interesting.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
My favourite FIFA was the World Cup 98 one (not Road to the World Cup)

It was pretty much FIFA 98 with better graphics, the skill moves were pretty crazy, and you could unlock classic World Cups, played in black and white. Me and my mates played that all summer holidays, long after the World Cup finished. Then FIFA99 came out and it was nowhere near as good as WC98, so we just kept playing that.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
PES turned crap when it went from ps2 to ps3. I played one of the recent ones though and it was actually decent. Fifa improved when it went to the ps3 until around 13/14 and then they just became complacent and decided to make a gambling game for kids and annoying YouTubers.

The fact FIFA 20 is so broken despite being a yearly release and the same engine since 16 goes to show where EAs priorities lie. It makes me laugh when people are uploading supposed "wonderful goals and tricks" which demonstrate how broken the game is. I know they aren't supposedly to be 100% realistic but I doubt Neymar could juggle a ball from 40 yards, do step overs, lift it over every player, flick it up and do a bicycle kick into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think PES 6 Adriano might have been the most over powered video game character of all time across all genres.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I think PES 6 Adriano might have been the most over powered video game character of all time across all genres.
Playing with Inter with Ibra and Adriano upfront was mental, could shoot from anywhere with them and you couldn't even tackle them either.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I still play an old PES game on the PS2. I have Batistuta and Recoba up front currently

No Love

Remember Matteo Brighi being the best player in FIFA 2003? Think he was 97 overall rating. Those were the days.

Web of Bissaka

Good thread.

Started with WE (original version before PES) on PS1 around year 2000, and my gahd fell in love and addicted immediately. Played its many different versions afterwards until PES on PS2. The PES Adriano one is the best cleanest version of it, started to get worse after that. ML is fun and clean but yes after Adriano, it's a mess. No motivation to play it on PS3, but now on PS4, it's game on! finally they are starting to improve it "properly", though the more focus on online mode is annoying.

Also played FIFA on PS1 and PSP during early 2000s, and it's too fluid and easy, not realistic at all, but the manager mode is so goood! Definitely far better than ML overall in terms of management. Gameplay definitely improves in PS2 and more so in early PS3 version games. Downside is, they removed the management mode of PS2 and change it into something new in later versions, which is also fun but wished some of the key features of the previous mode remain. Then it stops improving "properly" on XBox/PS4. It's basically the same game from FIFA 2015 to now.

:drool: Enough negatives!
  • Sprinting with Roberto Carlos on WE PS1 from deep left position is god in those days. 1-2 passes and zoom up top to shoot a cannon ball.
  • Shooting from the halfway line is ridiculously easy on both PS2 FIFA and PES. Seriously man the game mechanics is ridiculous. It's slightly harder on PES though, but Adriano and even Anderson (don't know why) can pull it off with ease. PS1 FIFA is a heaven for halfway line shooters.
  • Answering interview qs in old FIFA manager modes actually have effects on team morales, job security and fans supports is so fun and tricky in those days.
  • Superb musics too from both games. And addictive openings with great football moments, though now it'll be copyright issues.

That said, anyone else played PES Management on PS2?
Ah, that game is fun, the most fun management game, wish Konami would combine that management mode into the main PES game but oh well.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

The best FIFA game ever made was World Cup 2010. Unstoppable game.
It's been a couple of yeas since I've played any football games but isn't this still the best looking football game ever ? Ok the player models look a bit outdated but everything else just looks brilliant.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
PES 6 is still the only football game I play with mates. PES 5 broke ground, but PES 6 built upon it well enough.

DVG7

wasn’t it Eric wynalda?