The Fifth Redcafe Sheep Draft Round 1 - 2mufc0 vs. Invictus/Ecstatic

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Cheers mate, the way some people are going on i should be feeling guilty for winning.
Not at all. You have many strengths and played to them perfectly. You'll get two shots at addressing your weaknesses and could be flying thereafter.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Ummed and aaahed for ages as both teams very very good... didn't actually vote as was doubting myself about whether I was simply just voting against Shearer (how he gets In Pele's all-time 100 is beyond me). He's not purely a header player but Ripley, Wilcox (Le Saux), Ginola... players like that helped a lot. Also he liked a strike partner to feed off/split defenders - Sutton, Ferdinand, Sheringham - and don't see Eusebio filling that role.

Basically, he's a useless knob who could finish.

In hindsight, should have voted and think Invistatic would have edged it for me (front 4, front 6..... Zico :drool:), happily didn't make a difference to result.

Well done @2mufc0 though.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ummed and aaahed for ages as both teams very very good... didn't actually vote as was doubting myself about whether I was simply just voting against Shearer (how he gets In Pele's all-time 100 is beyond me). He's not purely a header player but Ripley, Wilcox (Le Saux), Ginola... players like that helped a lot. Also he liked a strike partner to feed off/split defenders - Sutton, Ferdinand, Sheringham - and don't see Eusebio filling that role.

Basically, he's a useless knob who could finish.

In hindsight, should have voted and think Invistatic would have edged it for me (front 4, front 6..... Zico :drool:), happily didn't make a difference to result.

Well done @2mufc0 though.
Why don't you rate Shearer out of interest? I know he's not one of the flashier strikers around but was a muppet dream for me in the 90's. Especially before the injuries he was a complete and clinical striker who could finish from and and outside the box.

antohan

Whose decision was it to write Zico's entire name? People know who he is ffs.
More to the point, Arthur Antunes Coimbra adds nothing to him getting recognised at all. I guess it just sounded cool to @Ecstatic.

But then, why not Ronaldo de Assis Moreira RONALDINHO, or Jair Ventura Filho JAIRZINHO?

antohan

Why don't you rate Shearer out of interest? I know he's not one of the flashier strikers around but was a muppet dream for me in the 90's. Especially before the injuries he was a complete and clinical striker who could finish from and and outside the box.
I had a similar issue. I would rate him if the wingbacks could really stretch defences and cross but he was really a lone frontman here whose only use seemed to be to distract defenders away from Eusebio.

Before @2mufc0 feels he should apologise for winning, it's Buffon-Baresi-Charlton that won this IMO. Maybe Eusebio as well, although it didn't look like it. And the other team imploding.

Enigma_87

You know who
I had a similar issue. I would rate him if the wingbacks could really stretch defences and cross but he was really a lone frontman here whose only use seemed to be to distract defenders away from Eusebio.

Before @2mufc0 feels he should apologise for winning, it's Buffon-Baresi-Charlton that won this IMO. Maybe Eusebio as well, although it didn't look like it. And the other team imploding.

To me, Shearer wasn't just the fox in the box type of striker at his peak - that is at Blackburn and first season at Newcastle. His greatest features were indeed his finishing, heading ability and strength, but on top of that his movement was also fantastic and the ability to combine up top with different partners and hold defenders off made him a real easy partner in attack.

Most of the teams like Blackburn, Newcastle, Soton had a similar - typical English brand of football, which shouldn't be held against him. Granted Eusebio isn't the best fit for him stylistically, but in a 5-3-2 like the above, where 2mufc0 would most likely have the lion share of possession he's pretty useful to have in or just outside the box.

I don't think there is much between him and say Batigol when we compare 90's strikers, yet Shearer always seems to be little underrated around here, mainly because of his not that elegant style.

"Clinical" maybe (probably) .... "Complete" never in a billion years.

As I said (and Antohan), he relied on supply/others a lot... the wide players I've mentioned or suppliers a la Beardsley. That doesn't make him a bad player but (1) he's miles away from this company and (2) he doesn't fit with this team for me.

If I was picking a fantasy football team (and there was money involved), I'd have picked him as he scores, simple as that. But thought he was selfish, didn't appreciate team-mates contribution (I hate that wheeling arm up celebration.... doesn't run to fans or team-mates) and above all, a VERY GOOD player but that's all.

I also didn't like the media love in with him all the time (apart from the run-in to Euro 96) and to top it off, he's a shit pundit.

Apart from that, great guy.

antohan

To me, Shearer wasn't just the fox in the box type of striker at his peak - that is at Blackburn and first season at Newcastle. His greatest features were indeed his finishing, heading ability and strength, but on top of that his movement was also fantastic and the ability to combine up top with different partners and hold defenders off made him a real easy partner in attack.

Most of the teams like Blackburn, Newcastle, Soton had a similar - typical English brand of football, which shouldn't be held against him. Granted Eusebio isn't the best fit for him stylistically, but in a 5-3-2 like the above, where 2mufc0 would most likely have the lion share of possession he's pretty useful to have in or just outside the box.

I don't think there is much between him and say Batigol when we compare 90's strikers, yet Shearer always seems to be little underrated around here, mainly because of his not that elegant style.
I know what you mean, I still have an old Southampton season review from when Shearer was there (bought it for Le Tissier, mind, I sort of liked Shearer but didn't know he would go on to become such a PL beast). He was far more adaptable than people will give him credit for. That said, in that formation, with virtually nothing going on down the flanks, I would pick Batistuta 11/10 times. He is a bit wasted really, but it's not him being the problem.

Enigma_87

You know who

As I said (and Antohan), he relied on supply/others a lot... the wide players I've mentioned or suppliers a la Beardsley. That doesn't make him a bad player but (1) he's miles away from this company and (2) he doesn't fit with this team for me.

If I was picking a fantasy football team (and there was money involved), I'd have picked him as he scores, simple as that. But thought he was selfish, didn't appreciate team-mates contribution (I hate that wheeling arm up celebration.... doesn't run to fans or team-mates) and above all, a VERY GOOD player but that's all.

I also didn't like the media love in with him all the time (apart from the run-in to Euro 96) and to top it off, he's a shit pundit.

At Soton, Blackburn and first season at Newcastle I thought he was always the more creative forward compared to Dowie, Sutton or Les. He was constantly on the move, running into pockets, making space. Didn't have brilliant technique on the ground probably average, but had excellent shot on him, either foot, and could link up pretty well with others.

You have to bear in mind the era he played into as well, nowadays forwards are much more complete, compared to the early 90's where the league was coming into prominence in Europe as well due to different reasons.

Later in his career he indeed became a classic 9 and with all the injuries his movement wasn't what it used to be, neither his speed, nor he was es explosive as in the early to mid 90's.

When it comes to personality I thought he was always a cnut and never really warmed to him and indeed he makes one of the worst pundits around. The media love is something to be expected as the English media does love its darlings.

And of course by complete I don't mean Fenomeno, or even Suarez type as nowadays example, but he wasn't Bierhoff or Inzaghi either.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Would agree with this although some might find it controversial. I remember back in the 90's after Blackburn won the title i really wanted us to sign him, would have been a great fit esp with Beckham emerging.

antohan

Agree 100%. Disney should sue for bringing Mary Poppins into disrepute.

antohan

Would agree with this although some might find it controversial. I remember back in the 90's after Blackburn won the title i really wanted us to sign him, would have been a great fit esp with Beckham emerging.
I reckon we would have won at least one more CL with him on board.

At Soton, Blackburn and first season at Newcastle I thought he was always the more creative forward compared to Dowie.
That's not saying much? :) I'm probably a more creative forward than Iain Dowie.

Probably. Hope previous posts have made clear that I've got no issue with him as a goalscoring top Premier League player, but not sure he's the next level .... picking shit teams to play for meant he struggled to prove if he could have hacked top European football, his decision. The others in this draft match did so (or top international).

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
That's not saying much? :) I'm probably a more creative forward than Iain Dowie.

Probably. Hope previous posts have made clear that I've got no issue with him as a goalscoring top Premier League player, but not sure he's the next level .... picking shit teams to play for meant he struggled to prove if he could have hacked top European football, his decision. The others in this draft match did so (or top international).
I know it's a small sample size but he did score 7 in 16 in the CL and also whenever he played in international tournaments he scored, so in a team like Fergie's 90's i would think he would score a few at the highest level.

Enigma_87

You know who
I know what you mean, I still have an old Southampton season review from when Shearer was there (bought it for Le Tissier, mind, I sort of liked Shearer but didn't know he would go on to become such a PL beast). He was far more adaptable than people will give him credit for. That said, in that formation, with virtually nothing going on down the flanks, I would pick Batistuta 11/10 times. He is a bit wasted really, but it's not him being the problem.
I think the injuries did it for him. He couldn't rely on his pace and lost few steps. Wasn't as explosive and had to refine his game to a more of a target man and leading the line.

Agreed of course that different pair of wingbacks would get much more from him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
More to the point, Arthur Antunes Coimbra adds nothing to him getting recognised at all. I guess it just sounded cool to @Ecstatic.

But then, why not Ronaldo de Assis Moreira RONALDINHO, or Jair Ventura Filho JAIRZINHO?
Probably had too much free space centrally, so had to fill it somehow. While on the wings Ronaldinho and Jairzinho are long enough. A bad decision nonetheless

antohan

Probably had too much free space centrally, so had to fill it somehow. While on the wings Ronaldinho and Jairzinho are long enough. A bad decision nonetheless
Just make all headshots bigger then?

But no, I think it's just a throwback to how CM used to have longer names like "Vitor Barbosa Rivaldo".

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I don't see the problem.

Like in the real world, voters make a choice for very different reasons. There aren't good or bad reasons.

To a certain extent, we all have a positive/negative bias towards/against some players/managers.

Some have a sophisticated reasoning, others a more superficial one. Some are sensitive to aesthetical considerations. Some just want us out.

You don't need to pay attention to the discussions when you know all these players. Sample.

The majority is always right in a popular vote :)

More to the point, Arthur Antunes Coimbra adds nothing to him getting recognised at all. I guess it just sounded cool to @Ecstatic. But then, why not Ronaldo de Assis Moreira RONALDINHO, or Jair Ventura Filho JAIRZINHO?
I didn't make the picture but I don't think it's a very relevant point.

Congratulations @2mufc0 .

All said and done, can't believe @Invictus and @Ecstatic lost.
Sorry but I am failing to understand how is @2mufc0 's team is superior, whether in personnel or tactical.
Thanks!

LoL. RedCafe Expertise ©