The Fifth Redcafe Sheep Draft Round 1 - 2mufc0 vs. Invictus/Ecstatic

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
For me I can't see Zico being stopped. He is the the best player on the pitch here and Simeone-Gerson is weaker than Varela-Pirlo defensively so Zico has a happy day.

idmanager

Baresi would be present in the same zone as well. It won't be Gerson and Simeone only.

While he will still have a good game, don't see him as a unstoppable Force here.

Zico being underrated is blatantly untrue based on the time I have spent here. You do need to sell the setup well though like @Moby 's Zico Tostao Romario pitch which struck a chord pretty well. Selling just the players is not something I am a fan of.

idmanager

Not quite sure what that means mate.

I can give more insight as to my decision, but I feel the same points always get rehashed.
It's simple. We the Peps and Jose's of this forum feel some of you voters who hardly participate in discussions and just vote have very little idea of what is going on and are just voting based on shiny names or your favorite names.

Might not be the truth but when has that stopped the real life Pep and Jose from sprouting crap.

idmanager

I've been trying to follow along even since the initial draft phase when (I forget who) threw his toys at the pram due to a mod warning. I have had finals for law school over the last two weeks, just finished. But Ronaldinho is the key here. Either you shade Baresi towards him or Dani comes back, but either way he will outpace and beat Cannavaro IMO. But if you shade Dani back, suddenly there is no more attacking option from the right. Shade Baresi there, it just allows the front 3 to move with more freedom. If you shade Diego towards him, then you lose the MF battle.
Aye the right side of the pitch on either side would decide the game. Cheers for sharing your thoughts.

4-2-3-1 vs libero based 3-5-2 has usually been my favorite match up and seems to be the template for most of the great semis and finals here.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
For me I can't see Zico being stopped. He is the the best player on the pitch here and Simeone-Gerson is weaker than Varela-Pirlo defensively so Zico has a happy day.
But it's not just Gerson-Simeone though, Sir Bobby will also fall back when we don't have the ball, that's the big advantage i have over Zico is Sir Bobby's engine and defensive game. Then i have Baresi the best defender on the pitch operating in those central areas it's going to be very congested forcing Zico to go deeper to get space which suits me, as the further away he is form the goal the better. And i don't see a 2 man midfield of Pirlo-Varela working they both like to operate from deep positions, the opposition are missing that B2b midfielder.

Moby

Dick
@Invictus I didn't understand your reply. You quoted my post about the physicality that was rampant against Brazilian players by players like Jack Charlton from the 1960s (to great effect by the way) by showing me a video about Zico against Liverpool in 1981. I'm missing something obviously.
Good to see you in these parts! Hopefully you participate in one soon.

idmanager

Everything is relative. Look at all the SF in the last 10 drafts and please let me know how many times you find Zico and compare this figure with Maradona or Platini.
Probably because Maradona and Platini are rightly better rated. Not because Zico is underrated.
Yea if Zico had lesser impact than someone like a Zidane or Rivaldo, its understandable.
Zico hardly playing in Europe might be a reason but from what I can see, I feel he is appropriately rated around here.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Probably because Maradona and Platini are rightly better rated. Not because Zico is underrated.
Yea if Zico had lesser impact than someone like a Zidane or Rivaldo, its understandable.
Zico hardly playing in Europe might be a reason but from what I can see, I feel he is appropriately rated around here.
You miss my point but it doesn't matter :)

idmanager

People have a very limited appetite for all the tactical considerations related to a game and it's hard to discuss a game without mentioning the players. That said, I should have sold potatoes.
Maybe. I like that part the best and often see many of the tactical comments go ignored by managers (probably to shun them out of the discussion) while posting long posts about players with quotes. Irks me a little.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ended up busier this morning than I thought. Was edging towards Invistatic based on the overall power of their attacking quartet, although 2mufc0 looked quite tasty at picking them off on the counter.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
10 drafts, 20 semi-finals, how many times did you see Zico in these 20 games?
Ah OK, i didn't understand what you were saying as it wasn't worded clearly. The answer is i don't know, we would have to check every semi final i'm sure he would have made his fair share.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Maybe. I like that part the best and often see many of the tactical comments go ignored by managers (probably to shun them out of the discussion) while posting long posts about players with quotes. Irks me a little.
No problem

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aye me too - although only about the big boys. Grown a little tired of selling the greats, I mean we all know they're amazing. Let's profile the lesser lights or have some detailed tactical debate instead.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I don't think I have ignored the tactical comments, quite the contrary.

Anyway, all the best for the future

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Good to see you in these parts! Hopefully you participate in one soon.
You guys are way too advanced for me when it comes to tactical expertize and you also have a much better understanding of the different positional variants for each player, especially as they relate to one another. If I was going to give the draft a try I think I would have a much better chance with cricket. :confused:

Enigma_87

You know who
At the end I couldn't separate the two sides. Both were the best ones in the initial drafting for me and although 2mufc0 had the better tactical fit, the sheer quality of the front four couldn't let me vote against Invistatic.

Great effort @Ecstatic as always, unlucky to face @2mufc0 team at this stage.

prath92

You guys are way too advanced for me when it comes to tactical expertize and you also have a much better understanding of the different positional variants for each player, especially as they relate to one another. If I was going to give the draft a try I think I would have a much better chance with cricket. :confused:
Lol trust me I feel the same way. These guys talk about random players from way back and I can barely tell you how neymar played in his game last week sometimes :lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
But it's not just Gerson-Simeone though, Sir Bobby will also fall back when we don't have the ball, that's the big advantage i have over Zico is Sir Bobby's engine and defensive game. Then i have Baresi the best defender on the pitch operating in those central areas it's going to be very congested forcing Zico to go deeper to get space which suits me, as the further away he is form the goal the better. And i don't see a 2 man midfield of Pirlo-Varela working they both like to operate from deep positions, the opposition are missing that B2b midfielder.
Yeah I don't buy any of this sorry. You are mentioning dedicating FOUR players to stopping Zico now. If you did that , had Charlton tracking all the way back just to mind Zico then Ronaldinho and Jairzinho would rip your defense to shreds. Varela is hands down the best defensive mid and matches up far better against Charlton than Simeone whose playing career seems a bit overrated by his coaching success. You are also playing a 4231 with a 2 man midfield btw. You can't slap Charlton that far up the pitch when he liked to drift left and insist he is part of midfield battle but Zico , who loved to drop deep when needed, is disappearing.

Also, I forgot sheared would be irrelevant this match probably frustrated at getting no service. Junior is not the type to be putting in crosses and Carvajal is going to have hard time getting forward with Dinho so I don't see any valid service for the Sheared head.

And Jack Charlton is probably the worst player on the pitch.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yeah I don't buy any of this sorry. You are mentioning dedicating FOUR players to stopping Zico now. If you did that , had Charlton tracking all the way back just to mind Zico then Ronaldinho and Jairzinho would rip your defense to shreds. Varela is hands down the best defensive mid and matches up far better against Charlton than Simeone whose playing career seems a bit overrated by his coaching success. You are also playing a 4231 with a 2 man midfield btw. You can't slap Charlton that far up the pitch when he liked to drift left and insist he is part of midfield battle but Zico , who loved to drop deep when needed, is disappearing.

I don't buy any of this either, sorry. Charlton will be the more advanced of the 3 midfielders, that's not controversial or unfeasible, a lot of 3 man midfields are arranged this way. And i didn't say 4 players will be marking Zico, that's something you have made up, what i said is the middle of the park will be overloaded and he won't get much space to move around in his favoured areas.

Edit: Re Shearer, crosses aren't the only way he would be using his physicality, Baresi and Gerson have fantastic long range passing, so no i don't agree he would irrlevant either.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I don't buy any of this either, sorry. Charlton will be the more advanced of the 3 midfielders, that's not controversial or unfeasible, a lot of 3 man midfields are arranged this way. And i didn't say 4 players will be marking Zico, that's something you have made up, what i said is the middle of the park will be overloaded and he won't get much space to move around in his favoured areas.

You literally said "But it's not just Gerson-Simeone though, Sir Bobby will also fall back when we don't have the ball, that's the big advantage i have over Zico is Sir Bobby's engine and defensive game. Then i have Baresi the best defender on the pitch operating in those central areas it's going to be very congested forcing Zico to go deeper to get space which suits me, "

You just named FOUR players you need to handle Zico while pretending that Charlton can drop that far back and still have some impact offensively against one of the best DMs in the history of the game - which is way better than Simeone ever was. Also there is only one play I have ever seen better at manuevering in tight spaces than Zico and that's Messi. You also very much misinterpret Zico's participation in midfield battles and IMO overrate Charlton but fair play he is your lad, you have to big up him. All in all I feel this game underrated Zico and Varela and overrated the Charlton lads but anyway

You won so good luck. Hope you can improve on Jack Charlton, Shearer and Simeone in the next round.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You literally said "But it's not just Gerson-Simeone though, Sir Bobby will also fall back when we don't have the ball, that's the big advantage i have over Zico is Sir Bobby's engine and defensive game. Then i have Baresi the best defender on the pitch operating in those central areas it's going to be very congested forcing Zico to go deeper to get space which suits me, "

You just named FOUR players you need to handle Zico while pretending that Charlton can drop that far back and still have some impact offensively against one of the best DMs in the history of the game - which is way better than Simeone ever was. Also there is only one play I have ever seen better at manuevering in tight spaces than Zico and that's Messi. You also very much misinterpret Zico's participation in midfield battles and IMO overrate Charlton but fair play he is your lad, you have to big up him. All in all I feel this game underrated Zico and Varela and overrated the Charlton lads but anyway

You won so good luck. Hope you can improve on Jack Charlton, Shearer and Simeone in the next round.
No that's clearly not what i said, the purpose to overload the midfield would also stifle his other attackers too, but since Zico is operating centrally it's more likely to impact him, going toe to toe with his attackers is tactical suicide so it's vital to have the numbers and hard workers to counter them.

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning Simeone i have never disputed that Verela isn't better i even praised him my OP. Football isn't an individual game a lot more importance is attached to tactics and how the player fits into the overall system.

You think Charlton is overrated that's fine but his resume speaks for itself, one thing is for sure Zico is definitely not underrated around here.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
No that's clearly not what i said, the purpose to overload the midfield would also stifle his other attackers too, but since Zico is operating centrally it's more likely to impact him, going toe to toe with his attackers is tactical suicide so it's vital to have the numbers and hard workers to counter them.
If you drop Charlton all the way back to tighten space on Zico and you bring Baresi up in front of your other two CBs then Ronaldinho and Jairzinho are going to have a lot of space against inferior players. The way you argue it sounds like you have 12 men on the pitch. You can't have it both ways. You can't overload the middle with Bobby Charlton and Baresi and still expect enough support to cover Ronaldinho and Jairzinho both of which are capable of consistently burning their closest marker thus requiring help.

I still don't even see a route to goal for your side as Shearer is mostly irrelevant this match.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
If you drop Charlton all the way back to tighten space on Zico and you bring Baresi up in front of your other two CBs then Ronaldinho and Jairzinho are going to have a lot of space against inferior players. The way you argue it sounds like you have 12 men on the pitch. You can't have it both ways. You can't overload the middle with Bobby Charlton and Baresi and still expect enough support to cover Ronaldinho and Jairzinho both of which are capable of consistently burning their closest marker thus requiring help.

I still don't even see a route to goal for your side as Shearer is mostly irrelevant this match.
Because there is only one football on the pitch and the players can move together in more than one way? I think you're the one giving the attackers superhuman abilities where they can transfer the ball around in milliseconds and be in more than one place at once.

That's fine mate you're entitled to your opinion, if you think we have absolutely no chance there's no point taking this discussion further.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Wow. People really are suckers for 3-5-2 these days. You would think Cafú and Carlos were there, not Carvajal and Junior. Wingers are dead, long live the wingbacks. Any wingback.

I wonder how much that mis-speling of Varela cost. Not just aesthetically but for the joke and reaction which took things in the etirely wrong direction.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Wow. People really are suckers for 3-5-2 these days. You would think Cafú and Carlos were there, not Carvajal and Junior. Wingers are dead, long live the wingbacks. Any wingback.

I wonder how much that mis-speling of Varela cost. Not just aesthetically but for the joke and reaction which took things in the etirely wrong direction.
I wouldn't say so, the error was cleared up very quickly, it was very clear in his OP and in mine where i mentioned him a few times .

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Because there is only one football on the pitch and the players can move together in more than one way? I think you're the one giving the attackers superhuman abilities where they can transfer the ball around in milliseconds and be in more than one place at once.

That's fine mate you're entitled to your opinion, if you think we have absolutely no chance there's no point taking this discussion further.

The ball moves faster than any player
Baresi might be a GOAT defender but he is not The Flash. If he is up in the 14zone helping tighten space on Zico he simply won't be getting back to be in perfect position to stop Ronaldinho or Jairzinho as you presume. He can't simultaneously tighten the 14 zone for Zico and also cover Jack and Cannavaro in case Jairzinho and Ronaldinho slip past.
Again the ball is faster than any player.

Enigma_87

You know who
I wouldn't say so, the error was cleared up very quickly, it was very clear in his OP and in mine where i mentioned him a few times .
Think what anto meant was shifting the discussion on Pirlo and Invistatic midfield rather thank your wingbacks which admittedly is the weakest part in that 5-3-2.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Think what anto meant was shifting the discussion on Pirlo and Invistatic midfield rather thank your wingbacks which admittedly is the weakest part in that 5-3-2.
Could be. But the next 4 pages are full of Ecstatic ripping into Carvajal clearly an issue that was highlighted extensively.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
They got very defensive though and it prompted the most ridiculous discussion I've seen in a while: "Can Varela boss a midfield?" Really?