The Football Moral Police

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is it getting a bit too much for anyone else as well?? Last night people were all over Ramos for supposedly intentionally injuring Salah. Now I dislike Ramos as much as the next guy but why are Utd fans crying foul over Pool's chances of winning the CL being reduced?

Similarly earlier in the season when De Bruyne got injured against Palace, people were up in arms when a few said they hoped he was out for a long time. I don't get this uproar. An opponent's influential player being out is good for us. It's not like our wishing them well or bad has any actual effect. No one is hoping that someone gets any permanent damage or anything, but this sympathy for opponents is really a bit grating.

Call me old fashioned or bitter or whatever but I'd take Utd winning and our rivals not winning any way possible.

I got no problem appreciating an opponent when they have done great ( well except for Pool) but all this display of sportsmanship and sympathy when the competition is going on is a bit weird. We are fans afterall, not diplomats.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Is it getting a bit too much for anyone else as well?? Last night people were all over Ramos for supposedly intentionally injuring Salah. Now I dislike Ramos as much as the next guy but why are Utd fans crying foul over Pool's chances of winning the CL being reduced?

Similarly earlier in the season when De Bruyne got injured against Palace, people were up in arms when a few said they hoped he was out for a long time. I don't get this uproar. An opponent's influential player being out is good for us. It's not like our wishing them well or bad has any actual effect. No one is hoping that someone gets any permanent damage or anything, but this sympathy for opponents is really a bit grating.

Call me old fashioned or bitter or whatever but I'd take Utd winning and our rivals not winning any way possible.

I got no problem appreciating an opponent when they have done great ( well except for Pool) but all this display of sportsmanship and sympathy when the competition is going on is a bit weird. We are fans afterall, not diplomats.
You assume all here supports united.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Because believe it or not, there are some fecking weirdos around here who'd love it if Liverpool won it yesterday and they could come out with their 'wish we had Klopp' and 'they've had a better season than us' shit.

King7Eric

You assume all here supports united.
I'm talking about those who support Utd. There were many Utd fans who were acting all holier than thou yesterday calling Ramos scum and what not for injuring Salah.

King7Eric

Because believe it or not, there are some fecking weirdos around here who'd love it if Liverpool won it yesterday and they could come out with their 'wish we had Klopp' and 'they've had a better season than us' shit.
Exactly. I don't get all this. You think Klopp is a great manager or whatever that's your personal opinion. But how can a Utd fan not be happy at Liverpool suffering is beyond me.

Because it's not right to wish illness/injury on anyone. At the end of everything, it's just a game.

I think it's pretty clear it was Ramos's intention to get all over Salah from early on but I don't think he went out there to literally injure him out of the game, which is what some of Liverpool's players used to do in the 80s.

cyberman

Add in I feel so sorry for Karius brigade.
How can you feel sorry for him if you would jump at the chance for him to repeat those mistakes in every game he plays next season?

SER19

Welcome to 2018. Justice warriors, virtue signallers whatever you want, this is their era

cyberman

Because the club he plays for and the individual Karius are two different things
You can't separate the two.
First game of the season and you have the option of pressing a button for it to happen to Karius again.
Do you push it? What about poor Karius then?

OldSchoolManc

I’ve seen angles that show Salah hooking Ramos’ arm, therefore it was self inflicted. Either way, it was a very unfortunate accident and there was no pre-meditated action in that milli-second whatsoever.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Add in I feel so sorry for Karius brigade.
How can you feel sorry for him if you would jump at the chance for him to repeat those mistakes in every game he plays next season?
Because he’s a human being suffering from the greatest possible humiliation, at the second greatest possible stage his profession has to offer? Because there’s no way to tell, how he’s going to handle this shit? Because he might suffer from this moment for many years to come?
You can root for a Liverpool loss without missing their players personal misfortune. And you can feel sympathy for an opponents player, despite being happy they lost. It’s called empathy. You should try it out.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You can separate the two, as I've already shown when I said it were two different things. It wasn't hard to separate them at all. A player does not lose his individual identity just by playing for a certain club. Hence why many people, even fans who dislike the club, are feeling sorry for him. It's a healthy human reaction to show some empathy for a young athlete who made himself look like a fool and possibly carreer ending night. People were also sorry about Salah for the same reasons. They were happy because of the impact on the game, but sorry for the player. It's not a hard concept to grasp to be honest.
Also, sport and sportsmanship is more than just winning, but some people seem to think it's a weakness. What the feck?
Stop with the ridiculous hyperbole.

The Bloody-Nine

I'm talking about those who support Utd. There were many Utd fans who were acting all holier than thou yesterday calling Ramos scum and what not for injuring Salah.
The match thread was insane, I couldn't believe what I was reading from 'United fans'.

cyberman

You can separate the two, as I've already shown when I said it were two different things. It wasn't hard to separate them at all. A player does not lose his individual identity just by playing for a certain club. Hence why many people, even fans who dislike the club, are feeling sorry for him. It's a healthy human reaction to show some empathy for a young athlete who made himself look like a fool and possibly carreer ending night. People were also sorry about Salah for the same reasons. They were happy because of the impact on the game, but sorry for the player. It's not a hard concept to grasp to be honest.
Also, sport and sportsmanship is more than just winning, but some people seem to think it's a weakness. What the feck?

Do you not even understand the fact that this has nothing to do with wishing your rivals to win a game? It's not hard to grasp actually :lol::lol::lol:
Ah poor Karius, I feel so bad for him...
I hope he keeps fecking up like this.

Its not a genuine emotion. If you really felt sorry for him you wouldn't want him to suffer like this again. What you're feeling is pity.
Its just lip service.

Ban

Glad Salah was out tbh and hope he'll make it for the WC. As @Kostur said there are some United fans who wanted Liverpool to win it or are defending Klopp as we speak. Strange times I guess.

killerboi2

The guy elbowed Karius (supposedly another accident) before the goal and was just generally acting like a jackass all game. He was also smiling when Salah went off. Some people also do not like Real Madrid for a bunch of reasons (call me old fashioned but i'm still angry about Beckham, Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo and them making us look like a joke feeder club)

cyberman

Because he’s a human being suffering from the greatest possible humiliation, at the second greatest possible stage his profession has to offer? Because there’s no way to tell, how he’s going to handle this shit? Because he might suffer from this moment for many years to come?
You can root for a Liverpool loss without missing their players personal misfortune. And you can feel sympathy for an opponents player, despite being happy they lost. It’s called empathy. You should try it out.
Its more pity.
So I don't have empathy for questioning this lip servicing bullshit?
I try empathy all the time. I love empathy. I live for empathy.
My full name is Cyber empathy man.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
Because we’re just following football? It’s reasonable to feel sympathy for someone who’s worked hard and then seen it all go to pot, even if that helps you. It’s fine to want a team to lose but not be delighted if they lose in a certain way.

People have a set of rules you’re supposed to follow to be a Good Fan and then complain when others say that maybe there are more important rules - being holier-than-thou about their status as fans while accusing others of being holier-than-though for expressing a little sympathy.

I don’t think Ramos intended to injure Salah, though.

The Bloody-Nine

The guy elbowed Karius (supposedly another accident) before the goal and was just generally acting like a jackass all game. He was also smiling when Salah went off. Some people also do not like Real Madrid for a bunch of reasons (call me old fashioned but i'm still angry about Beckham, Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo and them making us look like a joke feeder club)
If your dislike for Liverpool is outweighed by your dislike for Real Madrid you might want to consider supporting Barcelona.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
The injury was unlucky. No need to blame Ramos for it, it was not intentional. This place is full of proper weirdos these days though, with the love for City and Liverpool.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
(call me old fashioned but i'm still angry about Beckham, Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo and them making us look like a joke feeder club)
If you want to see a joker feeder club, look no further than Liverpool.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Call it whatever the feck you want, if your ideal football world needs less empathy and sportsmanship, then go with the likes of Ramos, Suarez & co. That's about the same level. Isn't it also some kind of moral police to say people have become a moral police?

I don't expect him to fully recover mentally from that blow, this guy's professional carreer will take a huge dip. Ppl lose their mind over some colleagues laughing about them, this kid looked like a donkey in front of billions of people. Do you think that event yesterday won't have any impact on his carreer? That's a pretty limited understanding of the situation.
:lol::lol::lol:

Ban

Call it whatever the feck you want, if your ideal football world needs less empathy and sportsmanship, then go with the likes of Ramos, Suarez & co. That's about the same level. Isn't it also some kind of moral police to say people have become a moral police?

I don't expect him to fully recover mentally from that blow, this guy's professional carreer will take a huge dip. Ppl lose their mind over some colleagues laughing about them, this kid looked like a donkey in front of billions of people. Do you think that event yesterday won't have any impact on his carreer? That's a pretty limited understanding of the situation.
These things happen. I'm sure he won't quit football. Maybe it will leave consequences but you're talking about career ending.. Exaggeration.

Reiver

I think it was just bad luck, the injury. Even if it wasn't, these things go on in football as I'm sure anyone who ever played against Souness would tell you.
If Liverpool winning the UCL boils down to Salah remaining fit then they don't deserve to win it.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Apparently we are supposed to feel sorry for Karius making mistakes in a CL final. Karius got what he deserved because they were his own mistakes. No one forced him to be a shit keeper on the day.

It is much more understandable to feel sorry for Salah because he had no control over what happened to him, it was an impact injury.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Because the opposition are humans, and this is football, what they do has absolutely no impact on your or your loved ones lives. So laughing/celebrating when that human suffers greatly shows poorly on those who celebrate and a lack of empathy or general human decency.

Its a problem we see not just with football but alot of other things such as religion, nationalism; a form of tribalism. Us or them.

Edit: You can't compare Karius and Salah, Karius was due to his own mistakes so its okay to make fun of him, though i wouldn't wish that on any player, but Salah was completely out of his control and could potentially destroy a dream of his. Its sick to be laughing at that.

Ban

Was talking about Karius there. Also, what the feck do you know about medicine? Obviously nothing, as for one he obviously didn't have a dislocated shoulder and second a dislocated shoulder can have huge impact on the future of an athlete. The possible damage doesn't even necessarily show immediately, but can have impact later on.

Yea let's just wait and see, okay?

Regarding Ramos:

If that's the kind of football world you like, okay. Some decency and sportsmanship is something I always liked about sports. Sport has higher value than winning.
All right let's see, I bet he'll continue playing football.
As for Ramos he's a cnut, but I won't hide I was happy to see Salah go off.

PTSTSL

feck them all. Liverpool got lucky with Salah from the moment he signed for them and it ran out last night. Good.

Dinghy

If you've ever watched Ramos play football you'd understand why people are calling him scum. Got nothing to do with Salah.

cyberman

You're over doing it though. You're almost going out of your way to feel bad for him.
Feeling sorry for him and saying let's wait and see if this completely destroys his career are two different things.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
Isn't it also some kind of moral police to say people have become a moral police?
It is. It’s a sort of seventies machismo where you have to support your team, not just because you like them but as a breast-beating moral quality.

It’s not like I’m in tears over the incidents but they’re a bit of a shame.

King7Eric

I don't like Real either. But when they are playing Liverpool any dislike I have for them pales in comparison to what I feel towards those scous cnuts. And quite frankly any Utd fan who doesn't get this is missing something about what it means to be a Utd fan.

The Bloody-Nine

It is. It’s a sort of seventies machismo where you have to support your team, not just because you like them but as a breast-beating moral quality.

It’s not like I’m in tears over the incidents but they’re a bit of a shame.
It's a shame that Karius made two howlers and cost them the game? :lol:

No, it was f*cking hilarious.