The future of TV deals as Glazer sees it...

esrom trauts

I do not believe it is possible to renegotiate the current TV deal on an individual club-by-club basis rather than collectively. I am not au fait with the inner working of the current TV deal other than I believe it to be reasonably fair. Basically I believe it to be a one off fee with payments to all clubs and then extras depending on the amount of matches shown/pay per view money on top of that.

What I believe Glazer wants to do is to sell Man Utd rights himself without BskyB influence i.e. cut them out of the picture eventually. Think of it like this, to watch Man Utd premiership home games you’d have to subscribe to Man Utd TV. Furthermore the medium for doing so may eventually evolve exclusively through high bandwidth broadband rather than through Sky.

Consumer choice is key in this business model. Us as consumers may in the future want all football matches coming through broadband like coolstreaming etc. Furthermore we as consumers may want all our TV sport money lining the pockets of our club rather than Rupert Murdoch!

This Glazer development in football will blow the game on it’s head I think. Interesting times ahead folks!

PS: To further substantiate my claim of consumer choice look at the music industry business model. Consumers decided they wanted their music in Mp3 form. The music industry have now only recently (2003) realised this and offered consumers a method of legally doing this. Plenty more developments in that industry to come as well though its nether the time nor the place to discuss that now.

As PCs and broadband take on more prominence in our living rooms and fill our entertainment needs so then will our desire to consume matches in this form. We are already seeing the beginning of this in coolstreaming as alluded to earlier.