Television The Gentlemen (netflix series)

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
One episode in, I'm liking it so far. Better than Sexy Beast on prime.

Anyone watching it?

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Two in, yeah we're liking this. Ritchie's best stuff in years. Great characters again.

Raven

Watching it now. Haven't liked much of what he's done since Snatch but this is really good.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Watching it now. Haven't liked much of what he's done since Snatch but this is really good.
He's done nothing as good as Snatch obviously, and some duds, but there are some good ones too. RocknRolla was great for me, and The Gentlemen was fun too. He also did the good Sherlock Holmes films, but just as a director. I didn't love The Man from U.N.C.L.E, but some people apparently do. Also The Covenant was surprisingly good. Great, even.

Raven

He's done nothing as good as Snatch obviously, and some duds, but there are some good ones too. RocknRolla was great for me, and The Gentlemen was fun too. He also did the good Sherlock Holmes films, but just as a director. I didn't love The Man from U.N.C.L.E, but some people apparently do. Also The Covenant was surprisingly good. Great, even.
Other than the Sherlock movies (mainly the first) I didn't particularly like any of those, the Gentlemen being fairly watchable. I haven't seen the Covenant I don't think so I'll have to give that a look. This series is quite incredible though, I ended up binging 5 episodes last night and I honestly think this may be looked upon as his masterpiece.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
All of that is mediocre to garbage, really. He's such a hack.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Other than the Sherlock movies (mainly the first) I didn't particularly like any of those, the Gentlemen being fairly watchable. I haven't seen the Covenant I don't think so I'll have to give that a look. This series is quite incredible though, I ended up binging 5 episodes last night and I honestly think this may be looked upon as his masterpiece.
It’s good but isn’t it a bit… silly… to be called a masterpiece? Now I’m only one episode in but the underground boxing was just so over the top and the whole chicken suit thing was ridiculous. It is good fun though. Quality light entertainment. Not easy to think of an equivalent. I guess @MrMarcello shout of Breaking Bad is a good one. But with a hell of a lot less depth.

Oh and I wouldn’t bother with The Covenant. It’s not very good.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Having disliked the film version I was going to swerve this, but maybe ill give it a go seeing though the reviews here are quite good.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
It’s good but isn’t it a bit… silly… to be called a masterpiece?
I guess for someone who's shat out mostly tiny, unimpressive turds all their life, their biggest, most massive turd is to an extent their masterpiece.

Considering that poster said his masterpiece, maybe we can let it slide.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I guess for someone who's shat out mostly tiny, unimpressive turds all their life, their biggest, most massive turd is to an extent their masterpiece.

Considering that poster said his masterpiece, maybe we can let it slide.
:lol: A little harsh.

Although I do like “let it slide” in the context of turds.

Probably mainly to do with my age when I first watched them but I think Lock, Stock and Snatch were both pretty fresh and interesting films. Certainly entertaining. Been downhill since then though. But this new one is ok, honest! (So far)

M16Red

Finished it last night

Its really good, it's a bit like bassic "Guy Ritchie'd", really well shot and good character progression.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
:lol: A little harsh.

Although I do like “let it slide” in the context of turds.

Probably mainly to do with my age when I first watched them but I think Lock, Stock and Snatch were both pretty fresh and interesting films. Certainly entertaining. Been downhill since then though. But this new one is ok, honest! (So far)
Yeah I was exaggerating, I actually like Lock and Snatch, for what they are (fun entertainment with good dialogue and great soundtracks, but pretty ugly films), but I feel so much of what he's done after that is middling to poor. My girlfriend loves his stuff so we'll probably end up watching this, but I have no expectations (and little hope) going into it. I haven't gotten excited by anything he's done for ages. The Covenant was hyped and I just have no idea why, it was such a shit film and a total mismanagement of the material at hand - almost infuriating.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah I was exaggerating, I actually like Lock and Snatch, for what they are (fun entertainment with good dialogue and great soundtracks, but pretty ugly films), but I feel so much of what he's done after that is middling to poor. My girlfriend loves his stuff so we'll probably end up watching this, but I have no expectations (and little hope) going into it. I haven't gotten excited by anything he's done for ages. The Covenant was hyped and I just have no idea why, it was such a shit film and a total mismanagement of the material at hand - almost infuriating.
Good. Definitely the best way to approach this!

Raven

It’s good but isn’t it a bit… silly… to be called a masterpiece? Now I’m only one episode in but the underground boxing was just so over the top and the whole chicken suit thing was ridiculous. It is good fun though. Quality light entertainment. Not easy to think of an equivalent. I guess @MrMarcello shout of Breaking Bad is a good one. But with a hell of a lot less depth.

Oh and I wouldn’t bother with The Covenant. It’s not very good.
I called it his masterpiece in fairness, by which I mean it could be better than Snatch, which is one of my favourite films (possibly a lot to do with nostalgia). I like the silliness of it, there are too many shows that ruin otherwise great stories by focusing too much on darkness and misery. This isnt supposed to be hyper realistic and you do have to suspend belief a lot but it's a fantastic bit of entertainment. The production value in this show is excellent, the characters are great, they've even finally made Vinnie Jones a believable character. I have a 2 hour bus journey coming up so I'll be polishing off the rest of it shortly and will check back in then.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I called it his masterpiece in fairness, by which I mean it could be better than Snatch, which is one of my favourite films (possibly a lot to do with nostalgia). I like the silliness of it, there are too many shows that ruin otherwise great stories by focusing too much on darkness and misery. This isnt supposed to be hyper realistic and you do have to suspend belief a lot but it's a fantastic bit of entertainment. The production value in this show is excellent, the characters are great, they've even finally made Vinnie Jones a believable character. I have a 2 hour bus journey coming up so I'll be polishing off the rest of it shortly and will check back in then.
Yeah, hard to disagree with any of that. And I do like the Vinnie Jones character. He’s really nailed the casting. Which can make even a not very great show go a long way.

Raven

Yeah, hard to disagree with any of that. And I do like the Vinnie Jones character. He’s really nailed the casting. Which can make even a not very great show go a long way.
I feel like the last episode leaves a little to be desired but has set us up nicely for the next season (hopefully netflix don't cancel this one). The world that he has built and the different characters and factions he has introduced opens up a lot of potential for future seasons and I'm excited to see how it unfolds.

Cloud7

Watched all 8 episodes this evening. That was a really enjoyable watch

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I really liked the movie and just watched the first episode of this and it’s great so far.

pascell

Just binged watched it all tonight, thought it was great.

Still can't get over the lead actor is the guy off the Inbetweeners film who comes out the loo with shit on his nose from that rolled up note