Television The Gentlemen (netflix series)

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Finished it this evening.

Slightly underwhelmed by the ending really, felt like it was building to something that never really came. A bit anticlimactic?

We spend 7 episodes watching Eddie do everything he can to avoid/get out of being a drug baron, then because of one conversation with his mad brother whose opinion he clearly doesn’t value, he suddenly decides to try and buy the entire thing and stay in after all? I get the whole Walter White/corrupted by power arc, but it all seemed a bit abrupt. Maybe he realised his family knew/didn’t really care? Maybe he just wanted to be more in control/equal? Not sure but it didn’t really come across, and it definitely needed more than one scene for him to change his mind.

It also suffered from a similar ending to a lot of Ritchie projects. The same thing happened in Lock Stock, Snatch, and every episode of the Lock Stock TV series: All the factions introduced along the way that pose a threat to our protagonists arm themselves, while all the stories converge in a finale that sees them all kill each other - except our heroes who are left in the clear, confused how it all happened but happy to be alive nonetheless, usually with a small profit but essentially back where they started.

Definitely feels like I’m over analysing what’s supposed to be a bit of fun, but it’s a bit annoying they all go the same way.

Oh well, it was still really good. I just appreciated what it was all building to a lot more than how it ended. At least it seems ripe for a season 2 though, and a sequel to one of these is something we’ve never gotten. Keen to see where it goes.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Finished it this evening.

Slightly underwhelmed by the ending really, felt like it was building to something that never really came. A bit anticlimactic?

We spend 7 episodes watching Eddie do everything he can to avoid/get out of being a drug baron, then because of one conversation with his mad brother whose opinion he clearly doesn’t value, he suddenly decides to try and buy the entire thing and stay in after all? I get the whole Walter White/corrupted by power arc, but it all seemed a bit abrupt. Maybe he realised his family knew/didn’t really care? Maybe he just wanted to be more in control/equal? Not sure but it didn’t really come across, and it definitely needed more than one scene for him to change his mind.

It also suffered from a similar ending to a lot of Ritchie projects. The same thing happened in Lock Stock, Snatch, and every episode of the Lock Stock TV series: All the factions introduced along the way that pose a threat to our protagonists arm themselves, while all the stories converge in a finale that sees them all kill each other - except our heroes who are left in the clear, confused how it all happened but happy to be alive nonetheless, usually with a small profit but essentially back where they started.

Definitely feels like I’m over analysing what’s supposed to be a bit of fun, but it’s a bit annoying they all go the same way.

Oh well, it was still really good. I just appreciated what it was all building to a lot more than how it ended. At least it seems ripe for a season 2 though, and a sequel to one of these is something we’ve never gotten. Keen to see where it goes.
You're not over analysing it, but what you're sensing is just quite simply lazy writing.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Interesting. I find him to be as bland as a dishwasher.

The main actress though is great - despite her character being as clichéd and limited as most Ritchie characters.
Really? Fair, I guess. I enjoyed him a lot in season two of The White Lotus as well.

Yeah Kaya Scodalerio, she's great, she was good back in Skins I recall.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Finished it.

the ending really was disappointing. It’s like they planned to make a mini series but at the last minute rewrote half the final episode so they could do a season two? really dull and lazy.

Still good overall and I’ll watch a season two.

BarstoolProphet

Really enjoyed the film. Looked forward to the show but found it a bit underwhelming but it still was a decent watch. Hate Ritchie's thing with writing with a marker directly on the camera to point out stuff.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Decent watch but the ending was very poor.