Votes: 123 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 96 31.9%
  • Still unsure

Votes: 82 27.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plugsy

It's true. If we take romance out and look at how the real world works - if a person buys a shop and uses proceeds made by the shop to pay the mortgage on it, the customers aren't really in a position to complain about money being taken out of 'their shop', are they?

I understand football is different from an emotional stand point but from the perspective of business and commerce it works pretty much the same. Football clubs are owned by businessmen and investors not those who get doey-eyed watched old season review tapes.

psychdelicblues

I hope that's true. If we ever get a player as good as Ronaldo again, I'd rather keep him for as long as possible than sell for huge money.
If a player is desperate to leave as Ronaldo was, then United will have no choice in the matter. The concern was that there was no attempt to replace Ronaldo with another world-class signing.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
If a player is desperate to leave as Ronaldo was, then United will have no choice in the matter. The concern was that there was no attempt to replace Ronaldo with another world-class signing.
Suarez was desperate to leave, got told to shut up and stay and is now playing better than ever.

Plugsy

Suarez was desperate to leave, got told to shut up and stay and is now playing better than ever.
Indeed. I think the regret is that £80m, even as a lump sum, didn't offset the money they'd have been able to generate on a commercial basis with having possibly the most commercially attractive footballer since Beckham, on a global basis.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Big difference, Madrid didn't follow up their so called interest I Suarez, instead they spunked it on bale.

If you think Ronaldo would stay any longer you're deluded

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Suarez is not Ronaldo. Ronaldo was in a sulk in his last season at the club, and it reflected in his performances. He clearly wanted away and United got good money for him.
That's not how I remember it. I thought it was common knowledge that Fergie said to Ronaldo he would agree the sale if Ronaldo gave him one more year. Which he did, and his effort didn't drop for me. Ronaldo also made a point that he was pleased with the fee for United's sake.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Now the great football man has gone, the questions over their stewardship are being exposed.
Yeah, only now is their ownership being questioned. feck off David Conn, you've been writing the same article for years now. City supporting blinkered vision twat.

psychdelicblues

That's not how I remember it. I thought it was common knowledge that Fergie said to Ronaldo he would agree the sale if Ronaldo gave him one more year. Which he did, and his effort didn't drop for me. Ronaldo also made a point that he was pleased with the fee for United's sake.
It did for at least half a season.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Big difference, Madrid didn't follow up their so called interest I Suarez, instead they spunked it on bale.

If you think Ronaldo would stay any longer you're deluded
He would have stayed another year if we let his contract run out. We're £80 million out of pocket, but we didn't exactly use that to replace him with world class quality (Young + Valencia + Bebe = half gone already). Spurs have done the same thing, pocketed 85 million, but spent it all on far inferior players. If we get a player like Ronaldo again who wants to leave, then sure if we have a world class player lined up to replace him take the money but otherwise we're better off keeping him.