Television The Grand Tour (Prime Video)

NinjaFletch

Shame. I was never that interested in listening to celebrity interviews; I think the only "celebrity" I enjoyed listening to from Top Gear was Sir Ranulph Fiennes. The rest of them are just there to promote shit films.

Still, hopefully there will be lots more epic adventures and funny car challenges to keep us entertained.
Yeah I agree.

I don't know really. It was a strong episode, but largely it felt like they'd only changed cosmetic things (moving the tent, celeb brain crash etc...) and they'd changed them by reverting back to what they had been doing on Top Gear (and the new celeb race is directly stolen from TG's 'star in a rallycross car' bit they did just without Chris Evans's irritating whooping).

The VT was fine, but largely stuff we've already seen a million times e.g. sports car gets stuck in small side street.

I think its worth giving a chance, but I don't have any faith they'll have addressed the more serious issues that made the first series a chore.

AndyJ1985

Yeah I agree.

I don't know really. It was a strong episode, but largely it felt like they'd only changed cosmetic things (moving the tent, celeb brain crash etc...) and they'd changed them by reverting back to what they had been doing on Top Gear (and the new celeb race is directly stolen from TG's 'star in a rallycross car' bit they did just without Chris Evans's irritating whooping).

The VT was fine, but largely stuff we've already seen a million times e.g. sports car gets stuck in small side street.

I think its worth giving a chance, but I don't have any faith they'll have addressed the more serious issues that made the first series a chore.
My issue with much of the last season was it felt too scripted. I know a lot of the old Top Gear was scripted but - in the older days at least - it felt more natural. Three old mates taking the piss out of each other is good enough and I think left to their own devices they could provide enough entertainment for the most part. With a script you lose the natural chemistry that made them so popular in the first place. I guess with all that money they have to ramp everything up, but they shouldn't forget their roots.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
It was such a vanity project where they had SO MUCH MONEY! rather than working to restrictions in the BBC. I think those restrictions brought the best out of them though.

They also clearly lacked any "critical voice" in the first series. No-one was saying...but is that actually funny? Sometimes you need an editor or producer to be the grit that creates the pearl.
This. Still enjoyed the new episode--

redspoony

Episode 1 was ok, nothing more.

Better than the last series, but that wouldn't be difficult.

And, to echo an earlier sentiment, I'm more excited about the new series of Top Gear than I was for this.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is it just me or does David Haselhoff look a bit like Trump in that episode?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
My biggest take away from this was that the girl stood behind Clarkson in Conversation Street was well fit.

buchansleftleg

Well the first one was less annoying than first series but still a bit meh!

Supercars not designed for ease and convenience shock!

You would think a member of the team being close to a fiery death would make for an interesting show but somehow.... not a memorable show.

May looks like he is phoning it in and thinking of the money.

Clarkson looks very unwell but i can't decide if that is the rheumy eyes of an old man or some self medication taking over. He looked like corned beef that had been left out in the sun for too long.

Hammond seems to be enjoying himself as he is doing the magazine programme links, just like the regional radio presenter he is.

The show desperately needs some new ideas or it will just fall back onto lazy stereotypes that are lapped up by the Mail online comments section.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
It was better. That's not saying much. But it was better than last season. Hope!
I think the biggest problems were the forced hotel jokes and the mightily uninteresting cars. That electrin things looks hideos and doesn't have a soul whatsoever, the NSX, by far the most interesting of them all, was ignored and the Aventador, while being a great car and one featuring in my dreams, has been on screen far too many times the past few years. It was at least the second roadtrip they took it on. Probably the third. And there were two reviews.Would it have killed them to get a Pagani?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It was better than the last season just by getting rid of celebrity brain crash.

I skipped through quite a bit, but the VT stuff of them in the 3 supercars was worth watching just for how good it all looks in 4K.

The Bloody-Nine

4K is not Clarkson's friend. :lol:

For me, it's just beyond stale. We've seen it all before. I also agree with Snowjoe, the chick behind Clarkson was the highlight. :drool:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
4K is not Clarkson's friend. :lol:

For me, it's just beyond stale. We've seen it all before. I also agree with Snowjoe, the chick behind Clarkson was the highlight. :drool:
:lol: very true, neither was the Lamborghini door, did you notice him struggling to get back in after walking up to that tunnel with the red light?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I enjoyed it. I thought they could have done a lot more with the road trip and compare the cars a bit more but overall it was pretty good. The subtle hints on why electric supercars are nowhere near as good as a conventional car were brilliant imo, but I hate electric sports cars with a passion so maybe I'm easily impressed..
They are obviously not going to reinvent the wheel every single episode, tbf that's what they tried to do last season and I think we can all agree that it was all a bit crap.. but what's wrong with going back to basics? They just need to keep doing what made Top Gear so popular in the first place, them being themselves and doing crazy stuff while driving cool cars.

Coxy

I want to enjoy it - but can't due to the scripted stuff. I want them to be just themselves - not so fake.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Second episode was great. Every segment was fun and interesting, even the guests. I just don't care about actual driving laps on their tracks. Neither the girl from above or the guests.

The Bloody-Nine

I rewatched the first episode while sober. I was harsh, it wasn't that bad. And the chick behind Clarkson was still hot.

Watching episode 2 now.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
5 secs in, what the feck has happened to James May?

Deleted member 101472

Have you got a box or anything?
Nope, regular cable. Another member sent me a good one to watch on the computer though so I think I’m all good. Not quite as good as top gear at its peak but still very enjoyable

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Hated the first season of GT, I only made it 4 episodes in before I binned it but I might start watching this again if it’s getting back to old top gear.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Jesus. What a difference a year or less makes. The three of them are coffins on two legs.

May's double chin is now just a scooter tire wrapped around his face. Hammond looks like some vaudeville actor. And Jeremy looks like his painkillers are starting to take its toll.

Overall, the three of them reminds me of wrinkly Benny Hills wearing schoolboy uniforms.

Funny but a tad creepy at the same time -- acting like over-grown juvenile teenagers but sadly with bodies/faces that are starting to look way out of place in the schoolboy uniform. Creep almost.

The photography, as usual, is the saving grace.

They do serve a Public Service Announce (PSA): Health is wealth lads!

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The whole thing with the "downgrade from business class" thing was stupid, those flights don't bloody have business class.

Big Andy

Bloke
The whole thing with the "downgrade from business class" thing was stupid, those flights don't bloody have business class.
^^^^THIS

I used to travel from Manchester to Paris on one of them Embraer planes...

lsd

The Oracle
Really hate the celebrity interviews shame they bought them back.The show is good viewing and so much better than anything Top Gear can come with.

You just are not going to get presenters that gel the way Clarkson ,May and Hammond do.