The greatest United player during the Fergie Era - The Poll

The Law of Denis

With Cristiano now a Madrid player there has been all kinds of discussions on deciding who is/was the best during the golden era of Sir Alex Ferguson, thus I suggest a definitive poll:

Anyone who wants to vote sends me a pm with your top 10 players, each position gets a certain number of points. The votes are to be kept secret and by the end the points will be tallied and the list revealed. The deadline can be Friday

Voting will end Friday at 17.30

HsJ

Done! Harder than it sounds! Left a lot of very good players out, could easily make it a top 20.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
you are implying that the SAF golden era has finished!

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Very difficult and had to leave out some heavyweights, no question.

I'll be interested to see the results here.

Wandering Red

Assembled a list of about twenty, and especially looking at numbers 11-14 or so, I just wish there was some way to get them into the list.

Will get it whittled down to ten though.

King_Eric

Very difficult list to make. Would have preffered making it a top 15.

Also hard to decide whether to let in factors like time at the club, love for the club, loyalty, etc. My list would have probably been a bit different if I'd only based my decisions on quality of football and return.

Northstand

Just posting here to stop this thread disappearing off the front page for the sake of late sleepers! PM on the way Denis.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
It really is not a fair system voting for the top ten - it's kind of like a 'vote for the best Ryan Giggs goal ever' poll in that everyones list should bang on without any question have

Keane
Scholes
Giggs
Schmeichel
Ronaldo
Cantona

So it really comes down to the other 4 on the list.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It really is not a fair system voting for the top ten - it's kind of like a 'vote for the best Ryan Giggs goal ever' poll in that everyones list should bang on without any question have

Keane
Scholes
Giggs
Schmeichel
Ronaldo
Cantona

So it really comes down to the other 4 on the list.
Beckham and Robson are in with a shout surely?
Yes...but thats why PMing is a good strategy...it stops people taking opinions from other posters...Though thats obviously my list, with 2 more obviously...It'll be the order people put them in that determines it though wont it

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
We did this a couple of years ago, but it will be interesting to see if it's changed.

Do you want a proper poll on it?

Mockney

Well you could do a poll and have TLoD give his results...and you could see if the results were different. It would be an experiment to see much how voting methods can skew results. I've said results far too much in this post. Result

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
I don't think a poll works as well. TLoD wants your top 10, in order. A poll wouldn't give those results, plus other people's results often influence, which is wrong.

ralphie88

Beckham and Robson are in with a shout surely?

to at least be on the list
You would think so. That list is also missing defenders! Irwin? Bruce? Stam? Pallister? Rio? You'd hope for some representation from the defensive line.

Not sure what the point of doing it via PM is if you don't discuss possible choices. Surely that's why people come on here?

Mockney

Not sure what the point of doing it via PM is if you don't discuss possible choices. Surely that's why people come on here?
But then get railroaded into voting one way or another, or ranking higher or lower..

You can be certain that it would take only 5 or so posts for someone to say

"What Keane over Robson? are you mad" or something of that ilk and weaker minded posters after that will think twice about their selections....It makes more sense to do it this way

The defensive things are a shame. I thought long and hard about putting Irwin in my list, but in the end I went with 70% ability 30% influence ...or roughly that...and they were almost all attacking players. Hopefully some will put the Irwins or McGraths in there

Sylar

Probably so the results are published and that can be discussed?

Imagine a player coming second for everybody, but based on the points system comes out top.

The Law of Denis

The reason I want to do this via PM is because of what Mockney has so nicely mentioned above and because a real poll tends to be dominated by the top three or four. The voter can choose what is most important to them to base the list on. So I'd prefer to have it this way. Plus it adds to the excitement when the list is revealed

I have just above 20 messages and it is very close, the defenders are doing pretty well.

All the input is appreciated

Probably so the results are published and that can be discussed?

Imagine a player coming second for everybody, but based on the points system comes out top.
Looking at the messages so far that is very unlikely since everybody has a different list. This method is not perfect but it is fun to see the results.

Sylar

I also posted in this so its part of my previously posted threads - want to do this at home rather than at work when I keep going away. Hate questions like this, takes too long to think about. And I know after ive submitted my list, I will want to change it.

ralphie88

The defensive things are a shame. I thought long and hard about putting Irwin in my list, but in the end I went with 70% ability 30% influence ...or roughly that...and they were almost all attacking players. Hopefully some will put the Irwins or McGraths in there
I suspect you'll get a list of attacking players and Schmeichel, with little representation from anyone who didn't pull on a shirt before 1992.

If you want democracy, ban everyone under 18 from voting. ;)

acnumber9

I suspect you'll get a list of attacking players and Schmeichel, with little representation from anyone who didn't pull on a shirt before 1992.

If you want democracy, ban everyone under 18 from voting. ;)
How many great Fergie players played for United prior to 92 but not after? The only players from 86 to 92 really worthy would be Robson and Hughes.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Well you could do a poll and have TLoD give his results...and you could see if the results were different. It would be an experiment to see much how voting methods can skew results. I've said results far too much in this post. Result
That would be interesting.

We can do that if people want it.

Wandering Red

Looking at the messages so far that is very unlikely since everybody has a different list. This method is not perfect but it is fun to see the results.
One thing I might suggest is that rather than just revealing the top pick, show us the top 5 or something in order... just an idea. Seems so against the ideals of the club to summarize 20+ years of management with a single player.

iguanamanc

Ignoring differences in the definition of "greatest", I'd go with Giggsy.

Sorry, can't be arsked about the other nine.

Wandering Red

Yes...but thats why PMing is a good strategy...it stops people taking opinions from other posters...
Unfortunately people don't seem to have read the initial post very well.

wheres the feckin poll bellend?? .....Cantona by a big oniony french country fecking mile
Giggs....... No competition.
Ignoring differences in the definition of "greatest", I'd go with Giggsy.