The growing impatience among football fans

bleedred

Over the past five years or so, there has been serious impatience among football fans of all sizes and leagues. Players and managers are not given much of a chance by the fans and this is mostly reciprocated by the higher-ups as well and they move to further newer "toys".

And it is not just the big clubs with bigger ambitions that are growing impatient but even teams in the lower leagues. Players are not given time to settle in and they are branded as failures even before half a season is over (Lukakau, Morata, Nolito, etc..,) and managers considered useless and sacked within like 10 games, (Koeman, De Beor etc..,)

Why do you think there is this growing impatience?. Is it because of the money involved? or the pressure from the media circus?. Or do you think the pressure to perform has been the same throughout?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Social media. I really do think it’s that simple.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's always been like this. Look 12 years ago, Vidic and Evra got written off after a poor half season. If a manager takes over a decent team and loses 7-8 games in a row like De Boer, it's not impactience, you get rid and fix your mistake. Don't waste a season like we did with Moyes. It was obvious before he came that he wasn't suited but he showed it very early on that he was never going to work. Better to cut him early then waste time. Players sometimes need time but with players like Memphis, obviously he just wasn't that great and Mourinho probably saw that in training every day so got rid pretty quickly.

The Bloody-Nine

It's always been like this. Look 12 years ago, Vidic and Evra got written off after a poor half season. If a manager takes over a decent team and loses 7-8 games in a row like De Boer, it's not impactience, you get rid and fix your mistake. Don't waste a season like we did with Moyes. It was obvious before he came that he wasn't suited but he showed it very early on that he was never going to work. Better to cut him early then waste time. Players sometimes need time but with players like Memphis, obviously he just wasn't that great and Mourinho probably saw that in training every day so got rid pretty quickly.
No, it hasn't always been like this. Unless you're around 12, in which case it has.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I 100% agree. I was a more causal football fan from 2002-2008, but since then watch probably easily 500 matches a year.

The amount of petulance on display now is off the charts. Since it’s mostly online stuff I can’t tell is everyone is just some 13 year old who seriously expects his team to play world class week in and week out.

Real Madrid wanting to sack the only back to back CL winning coach and blow up the whole team. Morata a young striker who has never been the first choice 9 ever getting ripped apart. Have people seen Drogbas scoring record?

I don’t know what the answer is but yes I 100% agree that things have become so much more extreme, but not sure why.

bosnian_red

No, it hasn't always been like this. Unless you're around 12, in which case it has.
It's always been like this in terms of since everyone has had access to constant updates about everything and everyone got access to the internet. Before that there wasn't forums to complain in and all that. Just people talking among themselves or at pubs and then at matches they'd support the team and that'd be that. So Yeah, naturally now since there are ways for fans to express themselves, there is more "impatience". Same would've happened if everyone had the same access to the internet 30 years ago like they do now though.

The Bloody-Nine

It's always been like this in terms of since everyone has had access to constant updates about everything and everyone got access to the internet. Before that there wasn't forums to complain in and all that. Just people talking among themselves or at pubs and then at matches they'd support the team and that'd be that. So Yeah, naturally now since there are ways for fans to express themselves, there is more "impatience". Same would've happened if everyone had the same access to the internet 30 years ago like they do now though.
You would agree that it's down to social media, then, as the other poster suggested. I don't disagree with that.

bosnian_red

You would agree that it's down to social media, then, as the other poster suggested. I don't disagree with that.
Yeah pretty much. I meant "always like this" more for the past 15 years or more even, obviously a lot about football was different in the 90's and especially before then.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The 'Jose out' and 'Sanchez is shit, should've gone to City' posts and threads will soon appear in abundance on here when we lose our first game or we're not 10 points clear at the top next season.

bleedred

But they were not kicked out of the team like now. I feel that players were given the chance / time unlike now where you are booted out if you don’t do well. Players like Rodwell, Sinclair, Robbie keane, jovetic, nolito etc.,

I m not taking a dig at city, it’s the same with every club, but the number of players who have been just booted out just like that after a season or two is something different nowadays I feel.

That combined with the fans abusing their own players for being shit. We give constant abuse to fellaini for commiting a foul without disregard for any of his important contributions in our cup successes in the past two years. I am not saying I’m not like that and i m holier than thou. But i m just trying to understand why is there seemingly more impatience among us!

Last edited:

bosnian_red

But they were not kicked out of the team like now. I feel that players were given the chance / time unlike now where you are booted out if you don’t do well. Players like Rodwell, Sinclair, Robbie keane, jovetic, nolito etc.,

I m not taking a dig at city, it’s the same with every club, but the number of players who have been just booted out just like that after a season or two is something different nowadays I feel.

That combined with the fans abusing their own players for being shit. We give constant abuse to fellaini for commiting a foul without disregard for any of his important contributions in our cup successes in the past two years. I am not saying I’m not like that and i m holier than thou. But i m just trying to understand why is there seemingly more impatience among us!
That's just the team though. City with all their money get players like Rodwell and Sinclair only for the english player requirement with basically no intention of ever integrating them into the side apart from random cup games. Someone like Nolito was bought for Pep and then he decided he didn't have any use for him (as he's purely average). Keane was likewise never good enough. Same with Jovetic (especially the injuries though for him). Teams take a risk now and then on players and hope a change of scene can change their injury luck. If it doesn't, no point holding on.

Social Madworks

Football Manager, Fifa201X, Winning Eleven, broader TV coverage of matches, make everyone think he knows football.

Saad138

Even in relation to signings there us impatience. I remember when we linked with Moura people we so desperate to get him. It's like something better than nothing. They will accept even mediocre signing just yo see a new face in the club.

Dyslexic Untied

Impatience with regards to United, the manager, a given player, style of play etc is the most annoying thing here. That, and the somewhat related desire amongst many to get rid of certain players.

meamth

No, it's not about the fans, it's about the money.

Fans are aware of the consequences of relegation or not getting that CL place.

Patience is hard to come by because of that risk. The problem is that to run a club in the premier league or other major leagues, the investment to stay is too much.

Rather than lose so much, better save it before the club ended like portsmouth or Leeds.

Needham

Baleful influence of reality tv shows. Failure is punished with an instant popular vote off.

KTP_ZA

I think it also stems from society as a whole moving towards an instant gratification era. High-speed broadband, on-demand TV services, same day delivery etc. I'm not saying that this is the cause but I really do think it plays a part. Patience all over and not just in football seems to be disappearing.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
6 years ago my local team was fighting to avoid relegation to the second district league (tier 5 of portuguese football). Then some chinese bloke "invested" a decent amount in the club and right now we are mid-table in Liga 2 (tier 2) and this year we reached the quarter-finals of the cup losing only to Sporting. It has been an amazing ride but every bloody weekend I see fans, those who weren't there 6 years ago but now decided to support, moaning about how we should be doing better, we should be playing better football and we should be getting more players with Liga 1 experience, even though what we're doing is a miracle. It's mental.

Pretty much. Anyone with an opinion can now be heard with a single lazy click. Demand for instant gratification goes far beyond just football.

I also think the expansion of football has something to do with it. 20+ years ago there wasn't much football on TV. Supporters were locals who could never support anyone else, everyone was taught to play as kids and most had at least a basic understanding of the game. For a lot of people i knew growing up Saturday afternoon was what they lived for, the experience as much as the result.

Now you have people casually watching all over the world, many of whom have never really played the game or think it's a bigger version of Football Manager, and if the team isn't winning it's really no big thing for them to go and support someone else. Its easy to fire up FIFA and go unbeaten for a season so why can't the real team do that.

Denis79

That is true, if the mentality around football was the same back when SAF replaced Atkinson we would have never had the privilege to see what the man would accomplish. It's all about money today, players, managers, staff are all payed crazy money and the pressure rises with it. Clubs are Brands and not Football Clubs. Media spin everything to sell adds and we swallow it all of it like muppets. Even we removed the words Football Club from our badge to make a stronger Brand or whatever. That still pisses me off.

Last edited:

pacifictheme

Over the past five years or so, there has been serious impatience among football fans of all sizes and leagues. Players and managers are not given much of a chance by the fans and this is mostly reciprocated by the higher-ups as well and they move to further newer "toys".

And it is not just the big clubs with bigger ambitions that are growing impatient but even teams in the lower leagues. Players are not given time to settle in and they are branded as failures even before half a season is over (Lukakau, Morata, Nolito, etc..,) and managers considered useless and sacked within like 10 games, (Koeman, De Beor etc..,)

Why do you think there is this growing impatience?. Is it because of the money involved? or the pressure from the media circus?. Or do you think the pressure to perform has been the same throughout?
Media, internet, the way we watch football.

Take a big team for example, any big team. If they play poorly and you're a fan of that team, you can read loads of articles online slating them, with other clubs fans you'll never meet taking the piss. It makes it all seem so much worse than it is.

Football to most fans of big teams is about giving and receiving "banter". If you lose or play crap football you're going to get the piss taken out of you by what feels like millions of prople online.

As with all these things i would suggest that in general there is a difference between fans who go to games and fans who do not. Fans who go to games don't just turn up to watch great football or watch the team win (although those things are important). Its a day out, a social etc. If you just stream a match or watch it on tv the 90 mimutes is all that matters and is that much more important. Those fans are more likely to be less tolerant of crap football and now the internet gives them the means to vent their anger.

My source, red cafe versus old trafford. Plus i know a few season ticket holders of various prem teams and yeah, its different.

Edit: i'm not saying the whole of the caf are like this.

Stretch

This. Using the Sanchez transfer saga (if one can call it that) as an example, some of my mates and even caftards were saying it's taking too long when in actual fact it took something like 10 days from he time the story broke that we were interested. But social media gives us instant updates on anything and we have an overflow of news.

Oscie

A lot more depends on the last result. Losing a derby or dropping point against a side near the bottom, always sucks. But these days it's the be all and end all. Win? Kings of the world. Lose? We're shit, sell everyone, manager is clueless. And that's definitely got worse over the years. Even when Fergie was here, in the end, if he'd won the league title he was God, proof he was the greatest manager ever. Finished 2nd? Finished! Stayed on too long! Can't possibly motivate players in his mid 60s! Holding us back!

Very little perspective with anything. No longer such a thing as taking a bad result on the chin, or sucking it up and moving on. We could be 30 points clear at the top right now but drop points at Brighton and there'd be at least 3 people here who'll start introspective threads concluding that really we're flattering to deceive and our real worth is probably mid-table in League 2.

Nature of the beast now, I'm afraid. We've gone from having fans who support the club to having observers who think the club owes them something and who think they have a right to be angry if the club lets them down and denies them a week of boasting on social media.