The Guard of Honour thingy....

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
The whole guard of honour thing is an absolute nonsense perpetuated by the modern football 'bubble', up there with the whole 'will he/wont he shake hands' idiocy and this bizarre obsession with cutting to a close up of someone's face (be it a player or the manager) every time something happens on the pitch. It's not an obligation, its not even a fecking tradition! It's been done about 4 times in the history of ever.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I don't see why Arsenal would, they weren't title contenders.

Swansea may.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
We gave one to Arsenal back in 1991. Fergies always been one to give respect to the champions.

AARRONB06

I couldn't give a toss if they do or don't! We have a C instead of a 1 now, that's all I'm arsed about. Can't wait to see that trophy aloft after the Swansea game.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
I remember when Chelsea gave us a guard of honour and it was basically our reserves, I vividly remember Dong getting appluaded onto the pitch by the Chelsea lads like a hero.

Here we go,

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I remember when Chelsea gave us a guard of honour and it was basically our reserves, I vividly remember Dong getting appluaded onto the pitch by the Chelsea lads like a hero.

Here we go,

Heh, check out the video.

Hello AVB :)

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Yup - here is our team, it's fecking diabolical

Tomasz Kuszczak
Kieran Lee (who?)
Gabriel Heinze
Chris Eagles
Wes Brown
John O'Shea
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Darren Fletcher
Dong Fangzhuo
Alan Smith
Kieran Richardson

somehow we drew 0-0

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Tomasz Kuszczak
Kieran Lee (who?)
Gabriel Heinze
Chris Eagles
Wes Brown
John O'Shea
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Darren Fletcher
Dong Fangzhuo
Alan Smith
Kieran Richardson

somehow we drew 0-0
One of our best results there in last 10 years. :lol:

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
The whole guard of honour thing is an absolute nonsense perpetuated by the modern football 'bubble', up there with the whole 'will he/wont he shake hands' idiocy and this bizarre obsession with cutting to a close up of someone's face (be it a player or the manager) every time something happens on the pitch. It's not an obligation, its not even a fecking tradition! It's been done about 4 times in the history of ever.
Another thing it reminds me of is this fascination with player's singing the national anthem for England. The Daily Mail had a big fit about that not too long ago. Yawn...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah, it must be that "modern football bubble" that made Sir Matt Busby do it in 1955...

It's been done for bloody years... how consistantly I don't know, but a modern football thing it most certainly is not.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!

Tomasz Kuszczak
Kieran Lee (who?)
Gabriel Heinze
Chris Eagles
Wes Brown
John O'Shea
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Darren Fletcher
Dong Fangzhuo
Alan Smith
Kieran Richardson

somehow we drew 0-0
We've had two or three dangerous shots and Eagles had a stonewall penalty shout turned down. It was a lovely night at SB. Our away fans owned them throughout 90 minutes, we were given the guard of honour and actually, despite the 3rd string team, we looked like getting the result there:lol:

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Yeah, it must be that "modern football bubble" that made Sir Matt Busby do it in 1955...

It's been done for bloody years... how consistantly I don't know, but a modern football thing it most certainly is not.
No, it's a modern thing that anyone cares, and indeed cares so deeply, about whether someone does it or not.

IanDangerously

Or the crowd. Whoever's directing football matches these days seems to forget they're shooting a sporting event not a movie, we don't need a thousand reaction shots. Oh and don't forget filming trophy lifts at silly angles! No doubt ours will be shot at some horrible angle where you can't really see anything again. :lol:

As far as the guard of honour itself, I couldnt care less. It is exactly the handshake thing all over again, if they're told to do it, they will. It doesn't mean anything ... it doesn't mean those players genuinely have any respect for ours, it means their employers have told them to do something and they're doing it.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It's Mickey Mouse, but Arsenal will do it because if they don't the press will make a big deal about it.

TheReligion

Abusive
We've had two or three dangerous shots and Eagles had a stonewall penalty shout turned down. It was a lovely night at SB. Our away fans owned them throughout 90 minutes, we were given the guard of honour and actually, despite the 3rd string team, we looked like getting the result there:lol:
Was a brilliant night.

Chin up Mourinho!

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Who exactly is it that cares so deeply about it?
The Daily Mail? I can't imagine anyone else is that bothered to be honest.

If Arsenal didn't do it, I think most people would laugh, think they're a bit smalltime, and move on to watch an actual game of football.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Exactly. Not something to get our knickers in a tangle with. I think it's a nice thing and if a manager wants to make his players do it then do, if not then don't.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I think Fergie does it to motivate the team for the next year and say, 'don't ever give yourself a chance to go through this'. Maybe wenger will do the same for their players. Don't give a shit, but it'll be weird for them to give a Guard of Honour for Van Persie.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
To be honest, there are only really two reasons I really want to see Arsenal give a guard of honour to us.

1) Watch them clap out RVP
2) Hear Alan Davies discuss clapping out RVP on the Tuesday Club.

Oh and you know, to honour us as champions or whatever.

NinjaFletch

Or the crowd. Whoever's directing football matches these days seems to forget they're shooting a sporting event not a movie, we don't need a thousand reaction shots. Oh and don't forget filming trophy lifts at silly angles! No doubt ours will be shot at some horrible angle where you can't really see anything again. :lol:

As far as the guard of honour itself, I couldnt care less. It is exactly the handshake thing all over again, if they're told to do it, they will. It doesn't mean anything ... it doesn't mean those players genuinely have any respect for ours, it means their employers have told them to do something and they're doing it.
Nah I think that's bollocks.

Theses are professionals, they recognise the performance that won the league because they recognise the difficulty and talent that goes into it.

Obviously the fans don't have any respect, but the players do, and it will hurt their professional pride to have to do it.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The guard of honour is about the other club showing a bit of class and acknowledging an achievement to which they aspire. It would make no difference to anyone at this club if Arsenal decided against doing it.

mufcwarm92

I just think it shows a lack of class if people don't do it. It's become as much of a tradition now that it would be more embarrassing for Arsenal to refuse it than it would actually doing it.

Sir A1ex

I see the Arsenal Supporter Club thingy have come out and said that they are backing the GoH now.
Apparently it will embarass RVP or something, so they are the real winners here.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Nah I think that's bollocks.

Theses are professionals, they recognise the performance that won the league because they recognise the difficulty and talent that goes into it.

Obviously the fans don't have any respect, but the players do, and it will hurt their professional pride to have to do it.
Aye, a Guard of Honour is nothing like pre-match handshakes.

For a start, when you're dishing out a handshake, you don't regularly get the desire to be the one on the recieving end of that handshake... (unless you're incredibly vein...)

I see the Arsenal Supporter Club thingy have come out and said that they are backing the GoH now.
Apparently it will embarass RVP or something, so they are the real winners here.
feck... does that mean we have to take the Moral Cup down that we won against Madrid down?

Drifter

American
Wenger as said there will be a guard of honor at the Emirates , whether the fans acknowledge it is another thing.