The Guardian

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The Guardian has in the past few years broken the NSA/GCHQ/Snowden thing, and they've done quite a few exposes on tax avoidance.
However bad the articles that fill their daily stupid/outrageous quota are, that level of reporting is above any other major paper. And some of their columnists are great, including football.
Telegraph had MPs expenses and think it was the Times that had cash for peerages. All the decent papers have broken big memorable stories in recent years.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The Guardian did phone-hacking too, and parts of Wikileaks, and the reaction to Snowden (agents breaking laptops) show how different it was to all other stories.
I'll admit that they sometimes seem to carry articles just to troll readers (a couple of columnists repeatedly do this) but their quality shouldn't be doubted.

Jippy

Staff
The Guardian did phone-hacking too, and parts of Wikileaks, and the reaction to Snowden (agents breaking laptops) show how different it was to all other stories.
I'll admit that they sometimes seem to carry articles just to troll readers (a couple of columnists repeatedly do this) but their quality shouldn't be doubted.
Not doubting it. I really like the Saturday edition and its supplements. I've written for the paper.
Wiki leaks was an odd one. They had that alliance with El Pais and one of the NY and a French paper. Then he ditched Assange when he started flaming informants if you remember.
Guardo does a lot of good work but can get bogged in dull stuff.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not doubting it. I really like the Saturday edition and its supplements. I've written for the paper.
Wiki leaks was an odd one. They had that alliance with El Pais and one of the NY and a French paper. Then he ditched Assange when he started flaming informants if you remember.
Guardo does a lot of good work but can get bogged in dull stuff.
Ya, Assagne's ego is limitless. He recently wrote about how the guardian has stolen the limelight from Snowden, but the article was so full of jealousy it was fun to read...upto a point. Like Mourinho at first looks charismatic and after a year you want him to shut up forever.

lynchie

Jippy

Staff
I think trying to tie him to the Guardian says more about Breitbart's slightly twisted world view than anything else. Especially since that "disclosure" at the bottom shows he did some work for Milo as well.
Hmm, dunno. Breitbart seems to love the salacious though.
To my eternal shame I naively commissioned Godfrey Bloom to do a blog on financial regulation years ago for my website tbf.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Crikey, look at the list of her other articles. The Guardian seems to have a rape correspondent.
All her articles are anti men feminist tripe, she single handedly has put me off the guardian for a long time. God its embarassing being of a similar political position to these muppets.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Does everyone like the new-ish layout now?

PS - Just had this come on the page - "We notice you've got an ad-blocker switched on. Perhaps you'd like to support the Guardian another way?"

Haven't they got enough money already?

Smores

In a odd way the feminisit articles tend to be quite popular now but in a bad b-movie kind of way. The comments sections are always a good laugh.

I'm always left wondering whether they can be that stupid and ideologically tainted, the same feeling I get when I read the RAWK thread actually!

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Is it? Wanting to be desired by the opposite sex or whoever you desire sexually is natural. How is that sexism? I want to be desired by women and feel great when a woman is interested in me. It works both ways, no?
Yeah, that's all true.

Feeling insecure at the reduction of the kind of attention she's taking about isn't healthy, though. "To my great shame, I assume I must look particularly good on the rarer days that I do get catcalled." That may well be very normal (it's one I can relate to) but it's fecked up.

The Mitcher

Is it? Wanting to be desired by the opposite sex or whoever you desire sexually is natural. How is that sexism? I want to be desired by women and feel great when a woman is interested in me. It works both ways, no?
She's the kind of person who would disapprove of a compliment while at the same time wanting the attention that comes with it.

DOTA

She's the kind of person who would disapprove of a compliment while at the same time wanting the attention that comes with it.
That's what she's saying, yes (apart from 'compliment' not being a great description of what she's talking about). She hates that an insecure part of her is reassured by behaviour she detests.

The Mitcher

That's what she's saying, yes (apart from 'compliment' not being a great description of what she's talking about). She hates that an insecure part of her is reassured by behaviour she detests.
But its not a good article though, for a start she actually tries to say its the culture. Which culture though, she's an american writing in a British newspaper, and this is the problem with a lot of people of her ilk always writing from their specific cultural/political mindsets and viewpoints and not really considering others. As if blaming the culture (and her parents, as if being taught to look attractive is the most important thing she was taught, what utter bullshit) can somehow absolve her from her own personality traits.

DOTA

But its not a good article though, for a start she actually tries to say its the culture. Which culture though, she's an american writing in a British newspaper, and this is the problem with a lot of people of her ilk always writing from their specific cultural/political mindsets and viewpoints and not really considering others. As if blaming the culture (and her parents, as if being taught to look attractive is the most important thing she was taught, what utter bullshit) can somehow absolve her from her own personality traits.
Both America and the UK share a culture that instils the idea that to be physically attractive to men is very important for women, so I don't see why she would specify. If large parts of society tell you something every day for your entire life it's pretty hard to be entirely sure their views are irrelevant, so I think it's silly to suggest this is a flaw specific to her that is her own failing.

The Mitcher

Both America and the UK share a culture that instils the idea that to be physically attractive to men is very important for women, so I don't see why she would specify. If large parts of society tell you something every day for your entire life it's pretty hard to be entirely sure their views are irrelevant, so I think it's silly to suggest this is a flaw specific to her that is her own failing.
She said it was the most important which I don't think she's being honest about. Besides she's contradicting everything she's ever written about the issue, and society has said a hell of a lot about people like me, but I know not all of what is wrong with me is cultural. She really is at her own failing here though, its nothing but about attention in this article that's all it boils down to. Its like she's having some mid life crisis and is somehow really annoyed at men not giving her attention, as if its our fault, yet she'll decry it in an article before that. She's very ideologically and intellectually dishonest and inconsistent.

DOTA

She said it was the most important which I don't think she's being honest about. Besides she's contradicting everything she's ever written about the issue, and society has said a hell of a lot about people like me, but I know not all of what is wrong with me is cultural. She really is at her own failing here though, its nothing but about attention in this article that's all it boils down to. Its like she's having some mid life crisis and is somehow really annoyed at men not giving her attention, as if its our fault, yet she'll decry it in an article before that. She's very ideologically and intellectually dishonest and inconsistent.
No idea what she's written before, really. From the little I've seen of her writing (probably entirely through your posting of her articles) she doesn't strike me as particularly interesting or relevant, so I've never been overly curious.

As I say, I see nothing wrong with that piece, itself, though. I think it's a good account of the fecked up internal conflict that insecurity born of societal pressure can lead to.

The Mitcher

No idea what she's written before, really. From the little I've seen of her writing (probably entirely through your posting of her articles) she doesn't strike me as particularly interesting or relevant, so I've never been overly curious.

As I say, I see nothing wrong with that piece, itself, though. I think it's a good account of the fecked up internal conflict that insecurity born of societal pressure can lead to.
Thing is, I know what she writes and its really nothing to do with societal pressures. She's the type that projects more than actually makes sincere articles about stuff like that. Even the guardian readership are saying what I'm saying in the comments, I don't think there's anyone other than the editing staff and her blog fans that agree with her.

DOTA

Thing is, I know what she writes and its really nothing to do with societal pressures. She's the type that projects more than actually makes sincere articles about stuff like that. Even the guardian readership are saying what I'm saying in the comments, I don't think there's anyone other than the editing staff and her blog fans that agree with her.
Not exactly, though, is it? I suppose technically they are the Guardian readership but in the same way that those of us who post in the Daily Mail thread are Mail readers... These articles attract people who'd never dream of buying the Guardian.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
They may be stupid points but those are different points and not contradictory...
But she has indeed written a few shockers and then today there was this article with its clickbait headline, its (probably deliberate) terrible misreading of the political situation and its (probably deliberate) lack of facts to make a (probably false) point.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'Is it right that Mr Universe is always a Man?'

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hehe.

There was a thing in the Guardian recently about a fat bird getting married which had the most Guardian paragraph ever:

Respectability politics might boost mainstream attitudes toward fat people in the short-term, but what does it do for women in general in the long-term? How can I simultaneously fight for women to be free of patriarchal standards and for fat women to be allowed to participate in those standards? My short answer is that I am far more interested in expanding the realm of self-expression for fat people than in adding to the already extensive list of what we “can” and “can’t” wear
I think she's talking about her wedding dress.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Gimme strength...

(Liz) Kendall gives off plenty to suggest aspirational middle-class drive: she wears a smart Marc Jacobs watch, carries a funky green tote handbag and shops at John Lewis, Whistles and the upscale cologne and candle shop Jo Malone.